Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default stuff to drink while suffering

I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.

So I am to drink warm fluids.

I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
chicken stock is quite tasty....

I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a Hall's
medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm fluids would
be appreciated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>
> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>
> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>
> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a Hall's
> medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm fluids would
> be appreciated.

Ok, seriously...

This is my hot buttered rum recipe that makes me feel a lot better, and
it's not just the rum.

Celestial Seasonings tea is inexpensive. Pick up the "Bengal Spice"
flavor. It's got cinnamon, cloves, etc.

Brew that up double strength.

To two cups (16 oz) of that, add the juice of 1/4 lemon, 1 pat of
butter, one tablespoon of honey, and 1 (or 2) shots of Myers dark rum
according to your personal preference.

Sip it slowly. It's very soothing!

Wrap up in a blanket, relax with a movie or a book and enjoy. :-)

Hope you feel better!

For soup, chicken stock made with chicken wings, fresh grated ginger
root, chopped celery, LOTS of onion and fresh garlic...

if you feel like cooking at all. :-(

One other thing that works well for me (and I do use it if I don't feel
like cooking!) is Hot and Sour soup from the local chinese take out. The
hot pepper and vinegar it contains feels soooooo good on a raw throat!
Clears the sinuses too.

Cheers dear!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>
> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>
> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>
> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a
> Hall's medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm
> fluids would be appreciated.

I just got over a similar thing, Mr. Libido. I suffered for 2 months;
laryngitis, staph infection, bronchitis, green eye and nose globbers.... you
know what knocked it out of me? Two hot toddys at night, only needed for 2
days. 1 part whisky, 1 squirt of lemon, a decent squirt of honey and about
4 parts water, heated to where you can stand it, in a coffee cup. Two of
those knocked me out, let me sleep, and within a couple of days it was gone.

Old-fashioned remedies work.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>
> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>
> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>
> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a Hall's
> medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm fluids
> would
> be appreciated.

Green tea.

Gargle with salt water, it'll help that throat.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>
> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>
> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>
> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a Hall's
> medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm fluids
> would
> be appreciated.

Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger tea with a little honey. The lemon
balances the sweetness of the honey. Great stuff. No caffeine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

>>I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
>> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>>
>> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>>
>> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
>> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>>
>> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a Hall's
>> medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm fluids
>> would
>> be appreciated.

> Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger tea with a little honey. The lemon
> balances the sweetness of the honey. Great stuff. No caffeine.

I'm so sorry you're sick, Alan. I agree with the above advice, I get
the Mandarin Orange, but whatever flavor suits you. The honey helps.
Make sure you still have your chicken broth for nourishment.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

>>>I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
>>> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>>>
>>> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>>>
>>> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
>>> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>>>
>>> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a Hall's
>>> medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm fluids
>>> would
>>> be appreciated.

>> Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger tea with a little honey. The lemon
>> balances the sweetness of the honey. Great stuff. No caffeine.

> I'm so sorry you're sick, Alan. I agree with the above advice, I get
> the Mandarin Orange, but whatever flavor suits you. The honey helps.
> Make sure you still have your chicken broth for nourishment.
>
> nancy

I'm not Alan. You replied to my message instead of his.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
> > throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
> >
> > So I am to drink warm fluids.
> >
> > I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
> > chicken stock is quite tasty....
> >
> > I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a
> > Hall's medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm
> > fluids would be appreciated.

> I just got over a similar thing, Mr. Libido. I suffered for 2 months;
> laryngitis, staph infection, bronchitis, green eye and nose globbers.... you
> know what knocked it out of me? Two hot toddys at night, only needed for 2
> days. 1 part whisky, 1 squirt of lemon, a decent squirt of honey and about
> 4 parts water, heated to where you can stand it, in a coffee cup. Two of
> those knocked me out, let me sleep, and within a couple of days it was gone.
>
> Old-fashioned remedies work.
>
> kili

It's why I suggested something similar... only I think mine tastes
better. <G>

Glad you are feeling better hon'!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>>
>>> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

>>> Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger tea with a little honey. The lemon
>>> balances the sweetness of the honey. Great stuff. No caffeine.

>> I'm so sorry you're sick, Alan. I agree with the above advice, I get
>> the Mandarin Orange, but whatever flavor suits you. The honey helps.
>> Make sure you still have your chicken broth for nourishment.

> I'm not Alan. You replied to my message instead of his.

I was piggy-backing on your advice.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

>>> I'm so sorry you're sick, Alan. I agree with the above advice, I get
>>> the Mandarin Orange, but whatever flavor suits you. The honey helps.
>>> Make sure you still have your chicken broth for nourishment.

>> I'm not Alan. You replied to my message instead of his.

> I was piggy-backing on your advice.
>
> nancy

You messed up my hair.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 22 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> >> I'm so sorry you're sick, Alan. I agree with the above advice, I
> >> get the Mandarin Orange, but whatever flavor suits you. The honey
> >> helps. Make sure you still have your chicken broth for nourishment.

> > I'm not Alan. You replied to my message instead of his.

> I was piggy-backing on your advice.
>
> nancy

I'm not Nancy...

All great advice...except recieved after the trip. I got more chicken
broth some kleenex and some lipton chicken noodle soup a childhood
favourite when ill...Just found out I don't care for it now though after
the first bowlful in ages. Perhaps I had forgotten that I tried and
discarded it years earlier? Oh well....in about 2 hours after a nap I'll
spatchcock a chicken for supper. Maybe chinese wonton soup...the chinese
restaruant down the street opens in a while. Oh joy another trip
outside...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote on 22 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>

>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>>
>> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> > I'm not Alan. You replied to my message instead of his.

>> I was piggy-backing on your advice.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> I'm not Nancy...
>
> All great advice...except recieved after the trip. I got more chicken
> broth some kleenex and some lipton chicken noodle soup a childhood
> favourite when ill...Just found out I don't care for it now though after
> the first bowlful in ages. Perhaps I had forgotten that I tried and
> discarded it years earlier? Oh well....in about 2 hours after a nap I'll
> spatchcock a chicken for supper. Maybe chinese wonton soup...the chinese
> restaruant down the street opens in a while. Oh joy another trip
> outside...

Keep slamming all that salt and you'll be drinking plenty. Are you trying to
kill yourself? :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

> Maybe chinese wonton soup...the chinese
> restaruant down the street opens in a while. Oh joy another trip
> outside...

What, they don't deliver? Tell them bring over a quart.
Or two.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:46:05 -0500:

k> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
??>> I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What
??>> I say is my throat don't work and I can barely talk or
??>> swallow plus a fever.
??>>
??>> So I am to drink warm fluids.
??>>
??>> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in
??>> plain old boxed chicken stock is quite tasty....
??>>
??>> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later
??>> today...a Hall's medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any
??>> other thoughts on warm fluids would be appreciated.

k> I just got over a similar thing, Mr. Libido. I suffered for
k> 2 months; laryngitis, staph infection, bronchitis, green eye
k> and nose globbers.... you know what knocked it out of me?
k> Two hot toddys at night, only needed for 2 days. 1 part
k> whisky, 1 squirt of lemon, a decent squirt of honey and
k> about 4 parts water, heated to where you can stand it, in a
k> coffee cup. Two of those knocked me out, let me sleep, and
k> within a couple of days it was gone.

k> Old-fashioned remedies work.

I don't know if a toddy does anything about curing a cold but it
certainly makes it more tolerable. I also find that such a hot
toddy tends to induce sleep which isn't such a bad thing either!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:15:00 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote
>
>> Maybe chinese wonton soup...the chinese
>> restaruant down the street opens in a while. Oh joy another trip
>> outside...

>What, they don't deliver? Tell them bring over a quart.
>Or two.
>
>nancy

Try Hot and Sour soup. That will open you right up!! It's wonderful
when you are sick with a cold.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 22 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote
>
> > Maybe chinese wonton soup...the chinese
> > restaruant down the street opens in a while. Oh joy another trip
> > outside...

> What, they don't deliver? Tell them bring over a quart.
> Or two.
>
> nancy

That would require a trip to the bank for money so I could pay for it....an
even further trip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote on 22 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Try Hot and Sour soup. That will open you right up!! It's wonderful
> when you are sick with a cold.
>
> Christine

If you like it, which I don't...well I don't despise it; but tastewise
would prefer the wonton.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote on 22 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>

>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>>
>> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> > I'm not Alan. You replied to my message instead of his.

>> I was piggy-backing on your advice.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> I'm not Nancy...
>
> All great advice...except recieved after the trip. I got more chicken
> broth some kleenex and some lipton chicken noodle soup a childhood
> favourite when ill...Just found out I don't care for it now though after
> the first bowlful in ages. Perhaps I had forgotten that I tried and
> discarded it years earlier? Oh well....in about 2 hours after a nap I'll
> spatchcock a chicken for supper. Maybe chinese wonton soup...the chinese
> restaruant down the street opens in a while. Oh joy another trip
> outside...

Well, you hit on the soup that makes me feel better. Wonton soup from my
favorite chinese restaurant. I say go with that. Even just sipping the
broth from around the wontons just makes a sick person feel better.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> Any other thoughts on warm fluids would
> be appreciated.

Strong black tea and raspberry jam. Sip a bit of tea; eat a spoonful of
jam; repeat often.

Hot lemon. Boil water, mix with some freshly-pressed lemon juice and
some sugar.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote on 22 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> > Nancy Young wrote on 22 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking
> >

> >> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> >> I was piggy-backing on your advice.
> >>
> >> nancy
> >>

> > I'm not Nancy...
> >
> > All great advice...except recieved after the trip. I got more
> > chicken broth some kleenex and some lipton chicken noodle soup a
> > childhood favourite when ill...Just found out I don't care for it
> > now though after the first bowlful in ages. Perhaps I had forgotten
> > that I tried and discarded it years earlier? Oh well....in about 2
> > hours after a nap I'll spatchcock a chicken for supper. Maybe
> > chinese wonton soup...the chinese restaruant down the street opens
> > in a while. Oh joy another trip outside...
> >

> Well, you hit on the soup that makes me feel better. Wonton soup from
> my favorite chinese restaurant. I say go with that. Even just
> sipping the broth from around the wontons just makes a sick person
> feel better.
>
> Lynne

Well I just took the spatchcocked chicken out of the oven ; cut it into 2
portions bagged it and put directly in the fridge...seems I won't be
eating tonight so sayeth my tummie. On the improve my appetite front
(curse you nanners!) my Lidia's Italian Table cookbook came in today's
mail. So that should help make me want to eat later. Plus I now have
something to read (Yay!!Entertainment)...hope the book doesn't damage my
nose when I fall asleep reading it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>
> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>
> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>
> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a Hall's
> medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm fluids would
> be appreciated.

Warm water to drink casually and gargle some with salt when inclined.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A liquid diet was: stuff to drink while suffering

Victor wrote on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:53:14 +0100:

??>> Any other thoughts on warm fluids would
??>> be appreciated.

VS> Strong black tea and raspberry jam. Sip a bit of tea; eat
VS> a spoonful of jam; repeat often.

VS> Hot lemon. Boil water, mix with some freshly-pressed lemon
VS> juice and some sugar.

I am in process of having some dental implants installed. It's
not the first time and, for reasons I won't detail, I am on a
"soft diet" for about a week. Suggested foods are soups,
yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled eggs and mashed potatoes and this I
remember from the last time got old very quickly. Can anyone
suggest other foods that might add a little interest?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:

> Victor wrote on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:53:14 +0100:
>
> ??>> Any other thoughts on warm fluids would
> ??>> be appreciated.
>
> VS> Strong black tea and raspberry jam. Sip a bit of tea; eat
> VS> a spoonful of jam; repeat often.
>
> VS> Hot lemon. Boil water, mix with some freshly-pressed lemon
> VS> juice and some sugar.
>
> I am in process of having some dental implants installed. It's
> not the first time and, for reasons I won't detail, I am on a
> "soft diet" for about a week. Suggested foods are soups,
> yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled eggs and mashed potatoes and this I
> remember from the last time got old very quickly. Can anyone
> suggest other foods that might add a little interest?
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Consider Hummus or Ful Medames along with pita. Pita to hard go with
wonder bread.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:
> I am in process of having some dental implants installed. It's
> not the first time and, for reasons I won't detail, I am on a
> "soft diet" for about a week. Suggested foods are soups,
> yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled eggs and mashed potatoes and this I
> remember from the last time got old very quickly. Can anyone
> suggest other foods that might add a little interest?
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat?
Chocolate pudding.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote on 22 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Victor wrote on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:53:14 +0100:
>
> ??>> Any other thoughts on warm fluids would
> ??>> be appreciated.
>
> VS> Strong black tea and raspberry jam. Sip a bit of tea; eat
> VS> a spoonful of jam; repeat often.
>
> VS> Hot lemon. Boil water, mix with some freshly-pressed lemon
> VS> juice and some sugar.
>
> I am in process of having some dental implants installed. It's
> not the first time and, for reasons I won't detail, I am on a
> "soft diet" for about a week. Suggested foods are soups,
> yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled eggs and mashed potatoes and this I
> remember from the last time got old very quickly. Can anyone
> suggest other foods that might add a little interest?
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

That old standby soup in the chinese restaurants...Beef Broth with cooked
rice in it.

Thick slices of bread to sop up soup. Chicken, egg or potato salad eaten
with a spoon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
??>> I am in process of having some dental implants installed.
??>> It's not the first time and, for reasons I won't detail, I
??>> am on a "soft diet" for about a week. Suggested foods are
??>> soups, yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled eggs and mashed
??>> potatoes and this I remember from the last time got old
??>> very quickly. Can anyone suggest other foods that might
??>> add a little interest?
??>>
??>> James Silverton
??>> Potomac, Maryland

Ms> Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat?
Ms> Chocolate pudding.

Thanks for the solutions so far! Sweet foods are not as big a
problem as savory since I like almost all flavored yoghurts,
ice-creams and sherberts. Greek style yoghurt with jams or
preserves stirred in is another possibility.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:

> Victor wrote on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:53:14 +0100:
>
> ??>> Any other thoughts on warm fluids would
> ??>> be appreciated.
>
> VS> Strong black tea and raspberry jam. Sip a bit of tea; eat
> VS> a spoonful of jam; repeat often.
>
> VS> Hot lemon. Boil water, mix with some freshly-pressed lemon
> VS> juice and some sugar.
>
> I am in process of having some dental implants installed. It's
> not the first time and, for reasons I won't detail, I am on a
> "soft diet" for about a week. Suggested foods are soups,
> yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled eggs and mashed potatoes and this I
> remember from the last time got old very quickly. Can anyone
> suggest other foods that might add a little interest?
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

You can do a _lot_ with soups. :-)

You can also puree a number of veggies.

Sweet potatoes and carrots come to mind.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote on 22 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>

> > "Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote
> >
> > > Maybe chinese wonton soup...the chinese
> > > restaruant down the street opens in a while. Oh joy another trip
> > > outside...

> > What, they don't deliver? Tell them bring over a quart.
> > Or two.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> That would require a trip to the bank for money so I could pay for it....an
> even further trip.

Some take checks, or credit cards. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>
> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>
> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>
> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a Hall's
> medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm fluids would
> be appreciated.

warm lemon juice with honey
apple cider with cinnamon stick and a couple of cloves
warmed cranberry juice with honey and a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime

Feel better soon, that's an order!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:
>> I am in process of having some dental implants installed. It's
>> not the first time and, for reasons I won't detail, I am on a
>> "soft diet" for about a week. Suggested foods are soups,
>> yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled eggs and mashed potatoes and this I
>> remember from the last time got old very quickly. Can anyone
>> suggest other foods that might add a little interest?
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland

> Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat?
> Chocolate pudding.

applesauce
other pureed fruit
ice cream
yogurt-and-fruit smoothies
milk shakes
mango lassi

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester > wrote in news:ZitDh.4996$as2.1606
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:
>>> I am in process of having some dental implants installed. It's
>>> not the first time and, for reasons I won't detail, I am on a
>>> "soft diet" for about a week. Suggested foods are soups,
>>> yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled eggs and mashed potatoes and this I
>>> remember from the last time got old very quickly. Can anyone
>>> suggest other foods that might add a little interest?
>>>
>>> James Silverton
>>> Potomac, Maryland

>> Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat?
>> Chocolate pudding.

> applesauce
> other pureed fruit
> ice cream
> yogurt-and-fruit smoothies
> milk shakes
> mango lassi

What about those meal replacement shakes? (Optifast??)

That way you get all the nutrition you need, and lose weight at the same
time :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mashed spuds, with butter, and cream or milk and then whipped with a
long-pronged fork.

boil bits of peeled garlic with the spuds, and mash them, then whip with
milk. To make it nice and soft.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote on 23 Feb 2007 03:45:34 GMT:

??>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
??>>> In article
??>>> >, "James
??>>> Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:
??>>>> I am in process of having some dental implants
??>>>> installed. It's not the first time and, for reasons I
??>>>> won't detail, I am on a "soft diet" for about a week.
??>>>> Suggested foods are soups, yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled
??>>>> eggs and mashed potatoes and this I remember from the
??>>>> last time got old very quickly. Can anyone suggest other
??>>>> foods that might add a little interest?
??>>>>
??>>>> James Silverton
??>>>> Potomac, Maryland
??>>>
??>>> Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat?
??>>> Chocolate pudding.
??>>
??>> applesauce
??>> other pureed fruit
??>> ice cream
??>> yogurt-and-fruit smoothies
??>> milk shakes
??>> mango lassi
??>>
P> What about those meal replacement shakes? (Optifast??)

P> That way you get all the nutrition you need, and lose weight
P> at the same time :-)

Thanks, not a bad idea at all but the only trouble is that all
that I know have dessert flavors

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote in
:

> PeterL wrote on 23 Feb 2007 03:45:34 GMT:
>
> ??>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> ??>>> In article
> ??>>> >, "James
> ??>>> Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:
> ??>>>> I am in process of having some dental implants
> ??>>>> installed. It's not the first time and, for reasons I
> ??>>>> won't detail, I am on a "soft diet" for about a week.
> ??>>>> Suggested foods are soups, yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled
> ??>>>> eggs and mashed potatoes and this I remember from the
> ??>>>> last time got old very quickly. Can anyone suggest other
> ??>>>> foods that might add a little interest?
> ??>>>>
> ??>>>> James Silverton
> ??>>>> Potomac, Maryland
> ??>>>
> ??>>> Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat?
> ??>>> Chocolate pudding.
> ??>>
> ??>> applesauce
> ??>> other pureed fruit
> ??>> ice cream
> ??>> yogurt-and-fruit smoothies
> ??>> milk shakes
> ??>> mango lassi
> ??>>
> P> What about those meal replacement shakes? (Optifast??)
>
> P> That way you get all the nutrition you need, and lose weight
> P> at the same time :-)
>
> Thanks, not a bad idea at all but the only trouble is that all
> that I know have dessert flavors

There are some that have soups, and coffee flavours as well. Might be
worth looking into and maybe having a couple of times a day...... at
least that way you get your nutritional requirements.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual
beings having a human experience.

- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:45:38 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
>throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.

Get well soon!

Grandson had the "sickaphies" (sympathetic illness) tonight and fell
asleep on the couch 30 minutes after he came home.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:46:05 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>> I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
>> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>>
>> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>>
>> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
>> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>>
>> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a
>> Hall's medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm
>> fluids would be appreciated.

>I just got over a similar thing, Mr. Libido. I suffered for 2 months;
>laryngitis, staph infection, bronchitis, green eye and nose globbers.... you
>know what knocked it out of me? Two hot toddys at night, only needed for 2
>days. 1 part whisky, 1 squirt of lemon, a decent squirt of honey and about
>4 parts water, heated to where you can stand it, in a coffee cup. Two of
>those knocked me out, let me sleep, and within a couple of days it was gone.
>
>Old-fashioned remedies work.

I think it worked because you were exhausted and you were finally able
to get some rest. I know from pure experience that if you allow
yourself to rest (go practically comatose in terms of hours of sleep,
if you have to) - you can beat off most "bugs". I'm a weekend
warrior, so I haven't taken a sick day off (for illness) since *way*
before June of last year. Don't ask me how many weekends have been
spent mostly sleeping (too many - I haven't counted them).

What has surprised me lately is that the last few weekends have *not*
been spent recovering from the week before. So either I'm healthier
over all, or I've built up an immunity to the germs in my work
environment lately.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:52:24 -0800, "TammyM" >
wrote:

>"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
>>I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
>> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>>
>> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>>
>> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
>> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>>
>> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a Hall's
>> medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm fluids
>> would
>> be appreciated.

>Green tea.
>
>Gargle with salt water, it'll help that throat.

Add honey to the tea.

Tea with honey and lemon was a panacea when I was a kid. As an adult,
honey and hot tea is good enough for me.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> I have an upper respitory infection says the doctor...What I say is my
> throat don't work and I can barely talk or swallow plus a fever.
>
> So I am to drink warm fluids.
>
> I found that some toasted dried minced onion nuked in plain old boxed
> chicken stock is quite tasty....
>
> I may gather my strength and get to a supermarket later today...a Hall's
> medicated lozenge and kleenex run...Any other thoughts on warm fluids

would
> be appreciated.

could say something.......
but i dont want to go there.......

Posted to rec.food.cooking

??>>>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
process of having some dental implants
??>>>>>> installed. It's not the first time and, for reasons I
??>>>>>> won't detail, I am on a "soft diet" for about a week.
??>>>>>> Suggested foods are soups, yoghurt, jello, soft-boiled
??>>>>>> eggs and mashed potatoes and this I remember from the
??>>>>>> last time got old very quickly. Can anyone suggest
??>>>>>> other foods that might add a little interest?
??>>>>>>
P> There are some that have soups, and coffee flavours as
well.
P> Might be worth looking into and maybe having a couple of
P> times a day...... at least that way you get your nutritional
P> requirements.

Thanks, I haven't see them but I will continue looking. One idea
for breakfast (I know it is not savory) is to process a banana,
a teaspoon of sugar, half a cup of All-Bran and half a cup of
yoghurt (preferably Greek). Perhaps I'm weird but I like
All-Bran and the recipe gives nearly half a day's fiber
requirement.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:50:30 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

<snip>
>All great advice...except recieved after the trip. I got more chicken
>broth some kleenex and some lipton chicken noodle soup a childhood
>favourite when ill...Just found out I don't care for it now though after
>the first bowlful in ages. Perhaps I had forgotten that I tried and
>discarded it years earlier? Oh well....in about 2 hours after a nap I'll
>spatchcock a chicken for supper. Maybe chinese wonton soup...the chinese
>restaruant down the street opens in a while. Oh joy another trip
>outside...

You need some Tom Kha Kai, that'll cure what ails you! 'Tis my
favorite cold "medicine". This recipe is from the late Colonel Ian
Khuntilanont-Philpot - remember him? God rest his soul.

Tom Kha Kai - Chicken soup with coconut milk
http://www.users.bigpond.com/catch22...tml#alphaindex

This is a mild but spicy chicken soup (it can also be made with
shrimp, pork, beef or mushrooms)

Ingredients:

16 fluid ounces soup broth (chicken stock) or water
2 kaffir lime leaves, rolled to crack them to release the flavour, but
otherwise intact
2 inch piece lemon grass, bruised to release flavour
1 in cube galangal ("kha") sliced thinly.
4 tablespoon fish sauce (or to taste)
2 tablespoons lime juice (or to taste)
4 oz chicken breast cut into smallish bite sized pieces
5 fluid ounces coconut milk
*? small red chilies, slightly crushed.
coriander (cilantro) leaves to garnish.
Note:* the number of red chilies is a personal choice. It can be as
few as half a chili per diner, to as many as 8-10 per diner, but the
dish should retain a balance of flavours and not be overwhelmed by the
chilies. Personally I would suggest about 8-12 chilies for this
recipe.

Method: Heat the stock, add the lime leaves, lemon grass, galangal,
fish sauce, and lime juice. Stir thoroughly, bring to a boil, add the
chicken and coconut milk, bring back to the boil, lower the heat to
keep it simmering and cook for about 2 minutes (until the chicken is
cooked through). serve: Not really intended to be eaten as a separate
course, you could serve it with just a serving of steamed white
(jasmine) rice, or together with a Thai meal. This quantity serves 4
with other food, but is probably only enough for two if eaten
separately.(cikp)