Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default KRAUT !

Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (
Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.

But, the last several brands of sour kraut
have been mild to the point of tasteless.

Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
> Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (
> Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.
>
> But, the last several brands of sour kraut
> have been mild to the point of tasteless.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?
> <rj>

What brands do you normally buy?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote:
> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
> Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! * * ;- (
> Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.
>
> But, the last several brands of sour kraut
> have been mild to the point of tasteless.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

You don't say what kind you're buying, canned, bagged, fresh...

I don't think you're going to find the kind sold in bulk from a huge
wooden barrel, not anymore. Get the kind in a jar, from the
refrigerator section. Ba-Tempt is a good one. Schorr's is okay too.

For cooking use the refrigerasted ones in the plastic bag. Fresh
jarred is too good for cooking. Canned is only good for compost.

Why not make your own, it's pretty easy... only thing it doesn't pay
to make a small amount, I'd go with the jarred... I typically finish
the entire quart jar in one sitting, juice too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:28:55 -0700, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
>Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (
>Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.
>
>But, the last several brands of sour kraut
>have been mild to the point of tasteless.
>
>Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

Make your own. There are lots of methods on the web.

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 9:58 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> "<RJ>" > wrote:
> > Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
> > Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ? ? ;- (
> > Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.

> > But, the last several brands of sour kraut
> > have been mild to the point of tasteless.

> > Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

> You don't say what kind you're buying, canned, bagged, fresh...
>
> I don't think you're going to find the kind sold in bulk from a huge
> wooden barrel, not anymore. Get the kind in a jar, from the
> refrigerator section. Ba-Tempt is a good one. Schorr's is okay too.
>
> For cooking use the refrigerasted ones in the plastic bag. Fresh
> jarred is too good for cooking. Canned is only good for compost.
>
> Why not make your own, it's pretty easy... only thing it doesn't pay
> to make a small amount, I'd go with the jarred... I typically finish
> the entire quart jar in one sitting, juice too.

I like the refrigerated stuff - I usually rinse it with apple juice
(leaving a little bit in) and add some caraway seeds. With some rye
or pumpernickel bread on the side, it's really good.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
"<RJ>" > wrote:
> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
> Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (
> Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.
>
> But, the last several brands of sour kraut
> have been mild to the point of tasteless.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

You don't say what kind you're buying, canned, bagged, fresh...

I don't think you're going to find the kind sold in bulk from a huge
wooden barrel, not anymore. Get the kind in a jar, from the
refrigerator section. Ba-Tempt is a good one. Schorr's is okay too.

For cooking use the refrigerasted ones in the plastic bag. Fresh
jarred is too good for cooking. Canned is only good for compost.

Why not make your own, it's pretty easy... only thing it doesn't pay
to make a small amount, I'd go with the jarred... I typically finish
the entire quart jar in one sitting, juice too.

======================

What if he strained out and SAVED the liquid, jazzed it up with more
vinegar, and put the kraut back in for a day or 3? Worth the trouble?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:28:55 -0700, <RJ> wrote:
>
>> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
>> Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (
>> Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.
>>
>> But, the last several brands of sour kraut
>> have been mild to the point of tasteless.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

> As you get older, your taste bud get less sensitive.
>
> I buy Claussen, Bubbies, or Vlassic. Franks is good, if I can
> find it.
>
> -sw

Silver Floss (refrigerated, in bags) ain't bad, either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "<RJ>" > wrote:

> > But, the last several brands of sour kraut
> > have been mild to the point of tasteless.

> What if he strained out and SAVED the liquid, jazzed it up with more
> vinegar, and put the kraut back in for a day or 3? Worth the trouble?

Not vinegar -- that will just make it taste vinegar-y. Use citric acid
- I believe it's also called sour salt. You'll get a pucker without
flavor. It's what puts the pucker in suckers.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:28:55 -0700, <RJ> wrote:
>>
>>> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
>>> Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (
>>> Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.
>>>
>>> But, the last several brands of sour kraut
>>> have been mild to the point of tasteless.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

>> As you get older, your taste bud get less sensitive.
>>
>> I buy Claussen, Bubbies, or Vlassic. Franks is good, if I can
>> find it.
>>
>> -sw

> Silver Floss (refrigerated, in bags) ain't bad, either.

Most of the stores around here seem to only have Hatfield brand which
seems to be variable in quality. I recently found bagged refrigerated
kraut (store brand)in Aldis that was quite good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> As you get older, your taste bud get less sensitive.
>>>
>>> I buy Claussen, Bubbies, or Vlassic. Franks is good, if I can
>>> find it.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Silver Floss (refrigerated, in bags) ain't bad, either.

> Most of the stores around here seem to only have Hatfield brand which
> seems to be variable in quality. I recently found bagged refrigerated
> kraut (store brand)in Aldis that was quite good.

See if the parent company is Great Lakes Brands. If so, it's the same as
Silver Floss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Feb 2007 07:58:16 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Why not make your own, it's pretty easy... only thing it doesn't pay
>to make a small amount, I'd go with the jarred... I typically finish
>the entire quart jar in one sitting, juice too.

I can remember one experiment at making kraut;

Shredded cabbage in a large crock.
Sprinkled with salt
Pressed down with a dinner plate,
weighted with the requisite rock.

We set it in a cool part of the basement,
and waited a few weeks before the first check.
WHEW !!!.... The cabbage had turned to FUR !!
????

Related our failure to the old gal down the street.
She asked if we'd made it during the full moon.
When I said "no".....
she replied; "There's your problem".

Never tried the experiment again.

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "<RJ>" > wrote:

>> > But, the last several brands of sour kraut
>> > have been mild to the point of tasteless.

>> What if he strained out and SAVED the liquid, jazzed it up with more
>> vinegar, and put the kraut back in for a day or 3? Worth the trouble?

> Not vinegar -- that will just make it taste vinegar-y. Use citric acid
> - I believe it's also called sour salt. You'll get a pucker without
> flavor. It's what puts the pucker in suckers.

Just read that it's fermented with salt. No vinegar. New knowledge.
Priceless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:

> I can remember one experiment at making kraut;
>
> Shredded cabbage in a large crock.
> Sprinkled with salt
> Pressed down with a dinner plate,
> weighted with the requisite rock.
>
> We set it in a cool part of the basement,
> and waited a few weeks before the first check.
> WHEW !!!.... The cabbage had turned to FUR !!
> ????

I wouldn't give up because of that. The only thing wrong with the
technique you described was not having a gas seal. A plastic bag filled
with water works well for that purpose.

> Related our failure to the old gal down the street.
> She asked if we'd made it during the full moon.
> When I said "no".....
> she replied; "There's your problem".
>
> Never tried the experiment again.
>
> <rj>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> Silver Floss (refrigerated, in bags) ain't bad, either.

>> Most of the stores around here seem to only have Hatfield brand which
>> seems to be variable in quality. I recently found bagged refrigerated
>> kraut (store brand)in Aldis that was quite good.

> See if the parent company is Great Lakes Brands. If so, it's the same as
> Silver Floss.

It wasn't that and it was a name I never saw before. I have had the
Silver Floss before and the Aldis stuff had a slightly more mellow taste
as if it was fermented longer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> Most of the stores around here seem to only have Hatfield brand which
>>> seems to be variable in quality. I recently found bagged refrigerated
>>> kraut (store brand)in Aldis that was quite good.

>> See if the parent company is Great Lakes Brands. If so, it's the same as
>> Silver Floss.

> It wasn't that and it was a name I never saw before. I have had the Silver
> Floss before and the Aldis stuff had a slightly more mellow taste as if it
> was fermented longer.

I think it's time to create a web site for sauerkraut afficionados. If there
are subtle differences, there's a market for boutique kraut. "Transparent
cabbage taste, with a lovely floral finish of....cabbage".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
> Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (
> Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.
>
> But, the last several brands of sour kraut
> have been mild to the point of tasteless.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

Trader Joe's

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> What if he strained out and SAVED the liquid, jazzed it up with more
> >> vinegar, and put the kraut back in for a day or 3? Worth the trouble?

> > Not vinegar -- that will just make it taste vinegar-y. Use citric acid
> > - I believe it's also called sour salt. You'll get a pucker without
> > flavor. It's what puts the pucker in suckers.

> Just read that it's fermented with salt. No vinegar. New knowledge.
> Priceless.

You're kidding. Here I thought you knew everything. "-)

Sauerkraut is nothing more than shredded cabbage (some varieties used
for it are better than others, btw) and salt. Three tablespoons salt
worked into 5# shredded cabbage. Allowed to "work" until it's ready
(length of time determined by ambient temperature and maybe something
mystical)
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/sauerkraut.html has the
particulars. That's the National Center for Home Food Preservation site.
It can be made in half-gallon glass jars or food-grade buckets if you
don't have a stone crock handy.

I use citric acid when I can tomatoes and some jams and jellies that are
deficient in acid for a good set. Lemon juice is the standard addition
for increasing acidity but I don't like to use it for affecting the
flavor of the fruit, although I know a couple people here who think a
couple "Lemony FITB" jams I make are mighty fine.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> > wrote:

> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?

Nothing; it is just as good as ever here in Düsseldorf. :-p

> Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (

Here it could do that two minutes ago... and two minutes hence.

> Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

Brand? I buy mine from the butchers who make it themselves, or from the
market where the sellers make it themselves. You say how much you want
and they pack it up for you. You can buy sour pickles that way, too.
And Düsseldorfer ABB mustard, if you bring a crock or a jar.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:55:47 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"Sheldon" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>"<RJ>" > wrote:
>> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
>> Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (
>> Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.
>>
>> But, the last several brands of sour kraut
>> have been mild to the point of tasteless.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

>You don't say what kind you're buying, canned, bagged, fresh...
>
>I don't think you're going to find the kind sold in bulk from a huge
>wooden barrel, not anymore. Get the kind in a jar, from the
>refrigerator section. Ba-Tempt is a good one. Schorr's is okay too.
>
>For cooking use the refrigerasted ones in the plastic bag. Fresh
>jarred is too good for cooking. Canned is only good for compost.
>
>Why not make your own, it's pretty easy... only thing it doesn't pay
>to make a small amount, I'd go with the jarred... I typically finish
>the entire quart jar in one sitting, juice too.

i live alone, and i don't think i could eat a quart. how long does
the jarred stuff last?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:55:47 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Sheldon" > wrote in message
groups.com...
>>"<RJ>" > wrote:
>>> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
>>> Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (
>>> Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.
>>>
>>> But, the last several brands of sour kraut
>>> have been mild to the point of tasteless.
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?

>>You don't say what kind you're buying, canned, bagged, fresh...
>>
>>I don't think you're going to find the kind sold in bulk from a huge
>>wooden barrel, not anymore. Get the kind in a jar, from the
>>refrigerator section. Ba-Tempt is a good one. Schorr's is okay too.
>>
>>For cooking use the refrigerasted ones in the plastic bag. Fresh
>>jarred is too good for cooking. Canned is only good for compost.
>>
>>Why not make your own, it's pretty easy... only thing it doesn't pay
>>to make a small amount, I'd go with the jarred... I typically finish
>>the entire quart jar in one sitting, juice too.
>>

> i live alone, and i don't think i could eat a quart. how long does
> the jarred stuff last?

A couple of months. But, if you have it around that long, you're either not
eating enough hot dogs, or you're a Baptist. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 12:08:31 -0700, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>On 6 Feb 2007 07:58:16 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>>
>>Why not make your own, it's pretty easy... only thing it doesn't pay
>>to make a small amount, I'd go with the jarred... I typically finish
>>the entire quart jar in one sitting, juice too.
>>

>I can remember one experiment at making kraut;
>
>Shredded cabbage in a large crock.
>Sprinkled with salt
>Pressed down with a dinner plate,
>weighted with the requisite rock.
>
>We set it in a cool part of the basement,
>and waited a few weeks before the first check.
>WHEW !!!.... The cabbage had turned to FUR !!
>????
>
>Related our failure to the old gal down the street.
>She asked if we'd made it during the full moon.
>When I said "no".....
>she replied; "There's your problem".
>
>Never tried the experiment again.
>
><rj>

If the brine is exposed to air, you have to skim the bateria/mold off
every couple of days. The newer technique is to use a plastic bag
filled with water to both weight down the plate and seal the
bucket/crock

I suggest using a 2-3 gallon food-grade HDPE plastic bucket - alot
lighter than a crock and won't shatter if you drop it.

A 2 gallon bucket can hold 12# of cabbage once it's wilted. I'm
getting ready to can my first batch the end of this week.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 6:30 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>

> > i live alone, and i don't think i could eat a quart. how long does
> > the jarred stuff last?

> A couple of months. But, if you have it around that long, you're either not
> eating enough hot dogs, or you're a Baptist. :-)

Hahaha, you're such a squirrel! Ok, what does being a Baptist have to
do with not eating enough kraut??

I did get a very good recipe from this group a year or two ago using
bagged/jarred kraut with a pork roast, apple juice, a chopped Granny
Smith apple, and some caraway seed cooked in a crockpot. Oh wow,
yummy-yummy-yummy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

> your pal,
> blake

Nice to see you posting again, Blake.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 7:30 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

> > i live alone, and i don't think i could eat a quart. how long does
> > the jarred stuff last?

> A couple of months. But, if you have it around that long, you're either not
> eating enough hot dogs, or you're a Baptist. :-)

What does being a Baptist have to do with sourkraut hanging around for
great lengths of time?

innocence is a broad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:55:47 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:

> >Why not make your own, it's pretty easy... only thing it doesn't pay
> >to make a small amount, I'd go with the jarred... I typically finish
> >the entire quart jar in one sitting, juice too.

> i live alone, and i don't think i could eat a quart. how long does
> the jarred stuff last?
>
> your pal,
> blake

BLAKE!! If you knew how often I think about you. . . . .
Welcome home, O Prodigal One.
How long does sauerkraut last? A Very Long Time. I don't think I've
ever seen an opened jar go bad in the fridge. I mean, it's already
rotten . . . . '-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:08:06 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:55:47 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
>> > wrote:

>> >Why not make your own, it's pretty easy... only thing it doesn't pay
>> >to make a small amount, I'd go with the jarred... I typically finish
>> >the entire quart jar in one sitting, juice too.

>> i live alone, and i don't think i could eat a quart. how long does
>> the jarred stuff last?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>BLAKE!! If you knew how often I think about you. . . . .
>Welcome home, O Prodigal One.
>How long does sauerkraut last? A Very Long Time. I don't think I've
>ever seen an opened jar go bad in the fridge. I mean, it's already
>rotten . . . . '-)

barb, you're very sweet. you've been in my thoughts as well. (in
fact, i came across your shipment of pickle hats the other day when
some of the domestic rubble had a seismic shift.)

still knockin' 'em dead at the fair?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:08:06 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> >BLAKE!! If you knew how often I think about you. . . . .
> >Welcome home, O Prodigal One.
> >How long does sauerkraut last? A Very Long Time. I don't think I've
> >ever seen an opened jar go bad in the fridge. I mean, it's already
> >rotten . . . . '-)

> barb, you're very sweet. you've been in my thoughts as well. (in
> fact, i came across your shipment of pickle hats the other day when
> some of the domestic rubble had a seismic shift.)
>
> still knockin' 'em dead at the fair?
>
> your pal,
> blake

In spades, Dear Heart -- in spades. Poke around my dotmac website --
not the blahblahblog especially, but other stuff linked from the Welcome
page.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

On 6 Feb 2007 07:58:16 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Why not make your own, it's pretty easy... only thing it doesn't pay
>to make a small amount, I'd go with the jarred... I typically finish
>the entire quart jar in one sitting, juice too.

It haden't even occurred to me. ( mind-set )
I've always thought of kraut in "barrel quantities".

After doing some research, here's the plan/recipe;

Use 2 quart canning jars.

Fill with shredded cabbage. ( allow 2" head-space )

Add... per quart of cabbage;
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp vinegar ( optional )

Add hot water to cover the cabbage

Cover loosely, store in a cool dark place for 3 - 4 weeks

That sounds pretty easy !

Any additions ? corrections ? suggestions ?

<rj>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?
> Years ago, kraut could pucker up your face ! ;- (
> Often, a slight rinse would tame it for table use.
>
> But, the last several brands of sour kraut
> have been mild to the point of tasteless.
>
> Can anyone recommend a brand that still tastes like kraut ?
>

> <rj>

For the most part, the national brands such as Nathans are bland. Boars Head
is a bit better. How about trying a store brand? They are sometimes
straonger in taste. Or a jarred version.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:32:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:08:06 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>> >BLAKE!! If you knew how often I think about you. . . . .
>> >Welcome home, O Prodigal One.
>> >How long does sauerkraut last? A Very Long Time. I don't think I've
>> >ever seen an opened jar go bad in the fridge. I mean, it's already
>> >rotten . . . . '-)

>> barb, you're very sweet. you've been in my thoughts as well. (in
>> fact, i came across your shipment of pickle hats the other day when
>> some of the domestic rubble had a seismic shift.)
>>
>> still knockin' 'em dead at the fair?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>In spades, Dear Heart -- in spades. Poke around my dotmac website --
>not the blahblahblog especially, but other stuff linked from the Welcome
>page.

i knew you would be. how could it be otherwise?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> Whatever happened to sour kraut ?

Try the polish one, it is called "kapusta kiszona". It is strong in taste
with lots of juice.

cherokee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> BLAKE!! If you knew how often I think about you. . . . .
> Welcome home, O Prodigal One.
> How long does sauerkraut last? A Very Long Time. I don't think I've
> ever seen an opened jar go bad in the fridge. I mean, it's already
> rotten . . . . '-)

You mean I can tackle the unopened jar of sauerkraut that has
been in the fridge for two years or so?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > BLAKE!! If you knew how often I think about you. . . . .
> > Welcome home, O Prodigal One.
> > How long does sauerkraut last? A Very Long Time. I don't think I've
> > ever seen an opened jar go bad in the fridge. I mean, it's already
> > rotten . . . . '-)

> You mean I can tackle the unopened jar of sauerkraut that has
> been in the fridge for two years or so?

Historically, it was stored unrefrigerated for a year. That's what
people in Germany ate after the growing season was over.

My mother lived on potatoes and sauerkraut during the winter, as a
child. They could only afford meat once a week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> > BLAKE!! If you knew how often I think about you. . . . .
>> > Welcome home, O Prodigal One.
>> > How long does sauerkraut last? A Very Long Time. I don't think I've
>> > ever seen an opened jar go bad in the fridge. I mean, it's already
>> > rotten . . . . '-)

>> You mean I can tackle the unopened jar of sauerkraut that has
>> been in the fridge for two years or so?

> Historically, it was stored unrefrigerated for a year. That's what
> people in Germany ate after the growing season was over.
>
> My mother lived on potatoes and sauerkraut during the winter, as a
> child. They could only afford meat once a week.

Are you sure it wasn't rationed?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message

> > Historically, it was stored unrefrigerated for a year. That's what
> > people in Germany ate after the growing season was over.
> >
> > My mother lived on potatoes and sauerkraut during the winter, as a
> > child. They could only afford meat once a week.

> Are you sure it wasn't rationed?

I'm not sure. After the war, they couldn't afford potatoes, either.

:-(

Kraut George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 2 16-03-2016 10:12 PM
Kraut Mark A.Meggs Preserving 1 18-05-2010 10:28 PM
It's Kraut! Becca General Cooking 0 09-11-2009 08:31 PM
Kraut Gloria P General Cooking 82 14-02-2009 05:38 AM
Last of the kraut George Shirley Preserving 4 31-10-2006 05:23 PM