Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default lettuce preservation

I noticed my old subway sandwhiches in the fridge don't keep well. I
have thought that I should freeze them. Does anyone know if lettuce
will spoil when it is frozen?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Deadmoney Walking" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I noticed my old subway sandwhiches in the fridge don't keep well. I
> have thought that I should freeze them. Does anyone know if lettuce
> will spoil when it is frozen?

If, by spoil, you mean bacterial spoilage, no it won't. But, something else
will happen, which will not be unsafe to eat. I think you should try
freezing it and find out through experimentation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Deadmoney Walking" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I noticed my old subway sandwhiches in the fridge don't keep well. I
> have thought that I should freeze them. Does anyone know if lettuce
> will spoil when it is frozen?

When you freeze letuce it becomes something distinctly not letuce. The
reason it does not last in the fridge is that they cut it with a metal
blade. For some reason that is bad. Dont ask me why because I dont know.
Anyway the best thing would be to see if you could get 6 inches with the
veggies on and 6 with them off or on the side.

Tori

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tori M wrote:
> "Deadmoney Walking" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I noticed my old subway sandwhiches in the fridge don't keep well. I
>> have thought that I should freeze them. Does anyone know if lettuce
>> will spoil when it is frozen?

> When you freeze letuce it becomes something distinctly not letuce.
> The reason it does not last in the fridge is that they cut it with a
> metal blade. For some reason that is bad. Dont ask me why because I
> dont know. Anyway the best thing would be to see if you could get 6
> inches with the veggies on and 6 with them off or on the side.
>
> Tori

Lettuce gets mushy when it freezes because the cells break down. The
lettuce becomes the consistency of, well, forgive me here, snot.

kili

--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Deadmoney Walking" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I noticed my old subway sandwhiches in the fridge don't keep well. I
> have thought that I should freeze them. Does anyone know if lettuce
> will spoil when it is frozen?

It won't spoil, it just turns into slime.

Since the chief charm of a Subway sanwich is that it is fresh, why
bother?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Deadmoney Walking" > wrote:

> I noticed my old subway sandwhiches in the fridge don't keep well. I
> have thought that I should freeze them. Does anyone know if lettuce
> will spoil when it is frozen?

It will turn to mush... :-P

Just buy smaller sandwiches.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article .com>,
> "Deadmoney Walking" > wrote:
>
>> I noticed my old subway sandwhiches in the fridge don't keep well. I
>> have thought that I should freeze them. Does anyone know if lettuce
>> will spoil when it is frozen?

> It will turn to mush... :-P
>
> Just buy smaller sandwiches.

Or, remove the lettuce before freezing. I believe I saw a link about how to
do that, but I can't locate it at the moment. I recall that it requires
special lettuce tweezers, as well as a tool similar to a speculum, for
opening up the top of the bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article .com>,
> > "Deadmoney Walking" > wrote:
> >
> >> I noticed my old subway sandwhiches in the fridge don't keep well. I
> >> have thought that I should freeze them. Does anyone know if lettuce
> >> will spoil when it is frozen?

> > It will turn to mush... :-P
> >
> > Just buy smaller sandwiches.

> Or, remove the lettuce before freezing. I believe I saw a link about how to
> do that, but I can't locate it at the moment. I recall that it requires
> special lettuce tweezers, as well as a tool similar to a speculum, for
> opening up the top of the bread.

Good fingernails. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tnanks, but I will not accept defeat. Where can I get some liquid
Nitrogen?

On Jan 29, 5:25 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> > "Omelet" > wrote in message
> >news

> > > It will turn to mush... :-P

> > > Just buy smaller sandwiches.

> > Or, remove the lettuce before freezing. I believe I saw a link about how to
> > do that, but I can't locate it at the moment. I recall that it requires
> > special lettuce tweezers, as well as a tool similar to a speculum, for
> > opening up the top of the bread.Good fingernails. ;-)

> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Deadmoney Walking wrote:
> I noticed my old subway sandwhiches in the fridge don't keep well. I
> have thought that I should freeze them. Does anyone know if lettuce
> will spoil when it is frozen?

Neither lettuce nor tomatoes freeze well. Some sandwich meat doesn't
either. Why are you buying more than you can consume at one time?
Sandwiches are SO MUCH better when they are fresh.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes!

"Deadmoney Walking" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I noticed my old subway sandwhiches in the fridge don't keep well. I
> have thought that I should freeze them. Does anyone know if lettuce
> will spoil when it is frozen?

U of GA food preservation course George Shirley Preserving 5 03-08-2008 09:50 AM
Sushi preservation Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Sushi 4 10-12-2007 03:54 AM
lettuce preservation Deadmoney Walking General Cooking 1 30-01-2007 01:00 AM
Wine Preservation RyanTaylor Wine 6 19-11-2005 07:28 AM
Preservation System? Cactus888 Wine 3 02-03-2004 10:51 PM