Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk)

Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
So old Mexico!
Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
fun.

Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
dessert.

So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
did buy a mix for making it at home.

Opinions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Jan 2007 15:37:20 -0800, "pamjd" > wrote:

>Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> So old Mexico!
>Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
>fun.
>
>Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
>dessert.
>
>So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
>think it would have to be over ice.

I love it too (although I think they get a little heavy handed with
the cinnamon at times). Sometimes I buy one just to drink while I'm
waiting for my burritos to go.

>I hve not made it at home but I
>did buy a mix for making it at home.
>
>Opinions?

I don't think I'd make it at home. We need to save some things to
enjoy "out".

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-15, pamjd > wrote:

> think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
> did buy a mix for making it at home.
> Opinions?

I tried, unsuccessfully, to make it at home. I later bought a mix
which was even worse. While it tasted like over cinnamoned harchata,
it included quite a bit of a non-disolving powder than just sank to
the bottom as sediment, some kind of bizarre fake filler. Now, if I
want horchata I go a couple blocks to a taqueria and buy a glass of
the real thing.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:
> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> So old Mexico!
> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> fun.
>
> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> dessert.
>
> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
> did buy a mix for making it at home.
>
> Opinions?

I've never tried it, but in about a month I have to go on this low
iodine diet which means no dairy whatsoever (no non dairy creamers due
to the milk by-products and iodine that cleans the machines). I've
been told that I can have horchata, but I've never tasted it. I just
googled and found this recipe that I might try now that you're speaking
so highly of it. I typically stop drinking coffee during this annual
two week thing (it's part of the prep to follow up on whether or not
I'm cancer free for the year) and honestly, not drinking coffee for two
weeks sucks. If I found a good tasting non-dairy something or other to
put in my coffee; I'd be quite happy! It's those small things in life,
you know?

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/horchata.htm

I'll let you know how it turns out :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Jan 2007 15:37:20 -0800, "pamjd" > wrote:

>Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
>dessert.
>
>So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink?

Hate it. Hate hate hate. It's all the worst things about rice pudding
without the best things.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 15 Jan 2007 15:37:20 -0800, "pamjd" > wrote:
>
> >Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> > So old Mexico!
> >Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> >fun.
> >
> >Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> >dessert.
> >
> >So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> >think it would have to be over ice.

> I love it too (although I think they get a little heavy handed with
> the cinnamon at times). Sometimes I buy one just to drink while I'm
> waiting for my burritos to go.

There's no such thing as too much cinnamon; where can gringos find this
on the "right" coast?

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-01-16, Serene > wrote:

> Hate it. Hate hate hate. It's all the worst things about rice pudding
> without the best things.

Ya' say you don't like it, then. ;/

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:38:45 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 2007-01-16, Serene > wrote:
>
>> Hate it. Hate hate hate. It's all the worst things about rice pudding
>> without the best things.

>Ya' say you don't like it, then. ;/

Well, ya know, it's not my favorite thing, no. :-)

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:
> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> So old Mexico!
> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> fun.
>
> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> dessert.
>
> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
> did buy a mix for making it at home.
>
> Opinions?

At one of our pot lucks at work (where we did a make your own quesadilla
thing) a guy brought a big jug of iced Horchata. It was just kinda sorta
okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to make it at home.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> pamjd wrote:
> > Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> > So old Mexico!
> > Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> > fun.
> >
> > Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> > dessert.
> >
> > So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> > think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
> > did buy a mix for making it at home.
> >
> > Opinions?

> At one of our pot lucks at work (where we did a make your own quesadilla
> thing) a guy brought a big jug of iced Horchata. It was just kinda sorta
> okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to make it at home.

Jill, I think we'd much more enjoy imbibing the tequilla, salt, lime
thingie... I'll even let you eat my worm!

Sheldon Cisco

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> pamjd wrote:
>>> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville
>>> Iowa. So old Mexico!
>>> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
>>> fun.
>>>
>>> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
>>> dessert.
>>>
>>> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink?
>>> I think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home
>>> but I did buy a mix for making it at home.
>>>
>>> Opinions?

>> At one of our pot lucks at work (where we did a make your own
>> quesadilla thing) a guy brought a big jug of iced Horchata. It was
>> just kinda sorta okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to make it at
>> home.

> Jill, I think we'd much more enjoy imbibing the tequilla, salt, lime
> thingie... I'll even let you eat my worm!
>
> Sheldon Cisco

You devil you! Actually I can't stand tequila and am not so fond of lime.
No comment on your worm

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd ha escrito:

> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> So old Mexico!
> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> fun.
>
> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> dessert.
>
> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
> did buy a mix for making it at home.
>
> Opinions?

I enjoy it...although I have found when they make it here at school,
they go overboard on the cinnamon. I don't like my horchata brown. The
best horchata i have had has been at little taquerias in western
Washington state.

SD

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy > wrote:
>There's no such thing as too much cinnamon; where can gringos find this
>on the "right" coast?

They sell it in the convenience stores out here.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:

> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> So old Mexico!
> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> fun.
>
> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> dessert.
>
> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
> did buy a mix for making it at home.

I like it very much, but I stopped drinking it after reading how much
trans-fat commercial horchata has. I've made my own, but it's a very tedious
process, and I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:38:47 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:38:45 -0600, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2007-01-16, Serene > wrote:
>>
>>> Hate it. Hate hate hate. It's all the worst things about rice pudding
>>> without the best things.

>>Ya' say you don't like it, then. ;/

>Well, ya know, it's not my favorite thing, no. :-)

Tell, me serene.... *how* much don't you like it?
lol

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:48:01 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>pamjd wrote:
>> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
>> So old Mexico!
>> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
>> fun.
>>
>> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
>> dessert.
>>
>> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
>> think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
>> did buy a mix for making it at home.
>>
>> Opinions?

>At one of our pot lucks at work (where we did a make your own quesadilla
>thing) a guy brought a big jug of iced Horchata. It was just kinda sorta
>okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to make it at home.

He probably used a mix.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:01:01 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:38:47 -0800, Serene >
>wrote:

>>>Ya' say you don't like it, then. ;/

>>Well, ya know, it's not my favorite thing, no. :-)
>>

>Tell, me serene.... *how* much don't you like it?
>lol

*grin* Lots less than the popcorn I just ate (seasoned salt, garlic
granules, yum).

The avocado/artichoke-heart dip James made tasted remarkably like
guacamole. In fact, if you didn't tell anyone it was half artichoke,
I doubt they'd know. And since artichokes are even better for you
than avocados are, I think he accidentally invented a low-fat
guacamole.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:05:41 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>The avocado/artichoke-heart dip James made tasted remarkably like
>guacamole. In fact, if you didn't tell anyone it was half artichoke,
>I doubt they'd know. And since artichokes are even better for you
>than avocados are, I think he accidentally invented a low-fat
>guacamole.

OH. So..... you're just going to leave us hanging? No recipe?
<pouting>

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:45:35 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:05:41 -0800, Serene >
>wrote:
>
>>The avocado/artichoke-heart dip James made tasted remarkably like
>>guacamole. In fact, if you didn't tell anyone it was half artichoke,
>>I doubt they'd know. And since artichokes are even better for you
>>than avocados are, I think he accidentally invented a low-fat
>>guacamole.

>OH. So..... you're just going to leave us hanging? No recipe?
><pouting>

Half avocado (I think he used 4 small avocados), half artichoke hearts
(fresh from the centers of 5 steamed artichokes that we had for
dinner). Mashed up. Needed salt, so we added some seasoned salt, but
that's it. Simple. I think it would work with whatever guacamole
recipe you wanted.

Right now, I'm experimenting to see if it's good broiled on top of
crackers.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:01:29 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>Right now, I'm experimenting to see if it's good broiled on top of
>crackers.

thanks, sounds like it will be good!

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:48:01 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> pamjd wrote:
>>> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville
>>> Iowa. So old Mexico!
>>> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
>>> fun.
>>>
>>> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
>>> dessert.
>>>
>>> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink?
>>> I think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home
>>> but I did buy a mix for making it at home.
>>>
>>> Opinions?

>> At one of our pot lucks at work (where we did a make your own
>> quesadilla thing) a guy brought a big jug of iced Horchata. It was
>> just kinda sorta okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to make it at
>> home.
>>

> He probably used a mix.

No idea nor do I care. It wasn't interesting enough for me to inquire about

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kuvasz guy wrote:
> sf wrote:
> > On 15 Jan 2007 15:37:20 -0800, "pamjd" > wrote:
> >
> > >Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> > > So old Mexico!
> > >Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> > >fun.
> > >
> > >Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> > >dessert.
> > >
> > >So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> > >think it would have to be over ice.

> > I love it too (although I think they get a little heavy handed with
> > the cinnamon at times). Sometimes I buy one just to drink while I'm
> > waiting for my burritos to go.

> There's no such thing as too much cinnamon; where can gringos find this
> on the "right" coast?

They have it in Virginia & N C'lina. Go to a real Mexican restaurant.
Not a Chili's or a ChiChis.

LOS POTREROS in Charlottesville has it. So does LA MILPA in Richmond.

T.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> At one of our pot lucks at work (where we did a make your own quesadilla
> thing) a guy brought a big jug of iced Horchata. It was just kinda sorta
> okay. I wouldn't go out of my way to make it at home.

I've had some I liked a lot and some I didn't like at all. The worst
was from the "tamale lady" who sold still warm tamales out of an
insulated chest in the back of her van. The horchata was from a large
Thermos jug. The ice ahd meterd, the horhata was warm and had a plastic
taste acquired, I guess, from the jug. You win some; you lose some.

> Jill

-bwg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:

> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> So old Mexico!
> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> fun.
>
> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> dessert.
>
> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
> did buy a mix for making it at home.
>
> Opinions?

I love horchata. I've had it made with rice and with almonds.
I like the almond version best and sometimes make it at home.
I just made it over Xmas to serve with my tamal feast. It's
really great. Yes, many recipes say to served over ice. But
you don't have to if it cold already.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2007-01-15, pamjd > wrote:
>

>>think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
>>did buy a mix for making it at home.
>>Opinions?

> I tried, unsuccessfully, to make it at home. I later bought a mix
> which was even worse. While it tasted like over cinnamoned harchata,
> it included quite a bit of a non-disolving powder than just sank to
> the bottom as sediment, some kind of bizarre fake filler. Now, if I
> want horchata I go a couple blocks to a taqueria and buy a glass of
> the real thing.
>
> nb

I've never tried a mix. It's really easy to make from scratch.
(Well the almond version is - I made the rice version once and
it was okay but not great. Any way you take the blanched, skinned
almonds and grind them with the boiling water in the food processor -
about 1 lb. almonds to 6 c. boiling water. I do it in batches of
about 1/2 of the nuts and a couple of cups of water. Combine
the 2 batches and and the rest of the boiling water. Let stand for
a couple of hours then strain through cheese cloth, squeezing tightly
to make sure you get all the liquid out. I put a half stick of cinnamon
in the jar with the horchata and sweetend it with about 1 c. sugar.
Also you can add a T. or so of lemon juice. Makes close to a gallon.
Let stand several hours or overnight in fridge to absorb cinnamon
flavor.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2007 15:37:20 -0800, "pamjd" > wrote:
>

>>Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
>>dessert.
>>
>>So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink?

> Hate it. Hate hate hate. It's all the worst things about rice pudding
> without the best things.
>
> Serene

Then you must try the almond version - it's much better.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:59:31 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Serene wrote:
>
>> On 15 Jan 2007 15:37:20 -0800, "pamjd" > wrote:
>>

>>>Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
>>>dessert.
>>>
>>>So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink?

>> Hate it. Hate hate hate. It's all the worst things about rice pudding
>> without the best things.
>>
>> Serene

>Then you must try the almond version - it's much better.

I'll try anything once, even if I'm pretty sure I won't like it. :-)

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 04:25:13 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>>

>> He probably used a mix.

>No idea nor do I care. It wasn't interesting enough for me to inquire about

It was a powdered mix.

--
See return address to reply by email

Oatmeal Cookies, Cinnamon Rolls, Rice Krispie Bars! Michael O'Connor General Cooking 0 20-09-2010 02:49 AM
Rice milk. Anne General Cooking 0 20-06-2007 04:41 PM
Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) pamjd Mexican Cooking 7 17-01-2007 08:55 PM
Soy or Rice milk? Richard Miller Vegan 5 13-05-2006 12:19 AM
Hot Milk Cinnamon Cake Tim Recipes 0 10-07-2005 02:38 PM