Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef barley soup, as requested

Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker

(I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
the seasonings. nancy)

1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoons instant beef boullion
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
1/4 teaspoon MSG
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 large stalk celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
1/2 cup uncooked barley

Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the boullion through
the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
35 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yeah, Nancy thank you! Good delicious basic recipe! I'm off to the store
for beef and barley.
Lynne

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
>
> (I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
> the seasonings. nancy)
>
> 1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 1 cup water
> 2 teaspoons instant beef boullion
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
> 1/4 teaspoon MSG
> 1/8 teaspoon pepper
> 1 bay leaf
> 4 cups water
> 3 medium carrots, sliced
> 1 large stalk celery, sliced
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
> 1/2 cup uncooked barley
>
> Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
> heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the boullion through
> the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
> 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
>
> Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
> reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
> 35 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 04 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
>
> (I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
> the seasonings. nancy)
>
> 1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 1 cup water
> 2 teaspoons instant beef boullion
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
> 1/4 teaspoon MSG
> 1/8 teaspoon pepper
> 1 bay leaf
> 4 cups water
> 3 medium carrots, sliced
> 1 large stalk celery, sliced
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
> 1/2 cup uncooked barley
>
> Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
> heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the boullion through
> the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
> 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
>
> Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
> reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
> 35 minutes.

I think some onion, mushrooms and a few 1 inch pieces of green or yellow
beans wouldn't ne amiss in this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote on 04 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
>>
>> (I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
>> the seasonings. nancy)
>>
>> 1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
>> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
>> 1 cup water
>> 2 teaspoons instant beef boullion
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>> 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
>> 1/4 teaspoon MSG
>> 1/8 teaspoon pepper
>> 1 bay leaf
>> 4 cups water
>> 3 medium carrots, sliced
>> 1 large stalk celery, sliced
>> 1 medium onion, chopped
>> 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
>> 1/2 cup uncooked barley
>>
>> Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
>> heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the boullion through
>> the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
>> 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
>>
>> Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
>> reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
>> 35 minutes.

> I think some onion,

You're right, I only have onion in there. Heh.

> mushrooms and a few 1 inch pieces of green or yellow
> beans wouldn't ne amiss in this.

No question. Sounds good to me, Alan.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker

What? No garlic?! Think I'll put this on the weekend menu... But I'll
have to add a package of mushrooms to the mix.... Thanks, nancy...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker

> What? No garlic?!

(laugh) Don't think it didn't cross my mind, even as I was
typing in the recipe.

> Think I'll put this on the weekend menu... But I'll
> have to add a package of mushrooms to the mix.... Thanks, nancy...

You're most welcome, and I'll no doubt add the mushrooms
next time, as well. Would be a nice addition.

nancy

Beef Barley Soup - a thank you King's Crown[_2_] General Cooking 2 15-11-2008 03:11 AM
Beef Barley soup? King's Crown General Cooking 3 05-01-2007 05:44 AM
Beef Barley Soup 2 Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 12:36 AM
Beef Barley Soup Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 17-12-2004 02:33 AM
Beef Barley Soup Nancy Recipes (moderated) 0 18-11-2003 02:10 PM