Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef Barley Soup - a thank you

I must thank Nancy Young again for posting this recipe last January. I just
love it. Made another double batch today. yum yum yum.

Lynne

Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
(I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
the seasonings. nancy)
1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoons instant beef boullion
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
1/4 teaspoon MSG
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 large stalk celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
1/2 cup uncooked barley
Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the boullion through
the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
35 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 14, 8:36�pm, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> I must thank Nancy Young again for posting this recipe last January. �I just
> love it. �Made another double batch today. �yum yum yum.
>
> Lynne
>
> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
> � (I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
> � the seasonings. �nancy)
> 1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 1 cup water
> 2 teaspoons instant beef boullion
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
> 1/4 teaspoon MSG
> 1/8 teaspoon pepper
> 1 bay leaf
> 4 cups water
> 3 medium carrots, sliced
> 1 large stalk celery, sliced
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
> 1/2 cup uncooked barley
> Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
> heat until brown. �Stir in 1 cup water, the boullion through
> the bay leaf. �Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
> 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
> Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. �Heat to boiling,
> reduce heat. �Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
> 35 minutes.

Excellent! Fill a 16 quart pot... and add lotsa mushrooms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote:
> I must thank Nancy Young again for posting this recipe last January.
> I just love it. Made another double batch today. yum yum yum.

Wow! You're welcome, how nice of you to remember. I was
just thinking of making this the other day and remembered you
liked it.

Thanks! nancy

> Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
> (I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
> the seasonings. nancy)
> 1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 1 cup water
> 2 teaspoons instant beef boullion
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
> 1/4 teaspoon MSG
> 1/8 teaspoon pepper
> 1 bay leaf
> 4 cups water
> 3 medium carrots, sliced
> 1 large stalk celery, sliced
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
> 1/2 cup uncooked barley
> Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
> heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the boullion through
> the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
> 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
> Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
> reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
> 35 minutes.

Beef Barley soup? King's Crown General Cooking 3 05-01-2007 05:44 AM
Beef Barley Soup Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 12:36 AM
Beef Barley Soup Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 12:36 AM
Beef Barley Soup 2 Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 12:36 AM
Beef Barley Soup Nancy Recipes (moderated) 0 18-11-2003 02:10 PM