Peter Aitken

Default Carbonara with bacon...bits?

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
>

> > Unfortunately for your claims, Dmitri, carbonara sauce is properly and
> > traditionally made with smoked American style bacon. In fact it has been
> > suggested that the sauce originated in WW2 when American soldiers would

> take
> > bacon to local women and ask them to make a sauce with it. In Italy it

is
> > usually made with smoked bacon but in Rome the bacon is sometimes

replaced
> > with pork jowl. The use of pancetta is a substitute for the pork jowl.
> >
> > This information comes from Marcella Hazan's cookbook.
> >

> > --
> > Peter Aitken

> Actually the legend of the origin of Carbonara and it's origin come from

the
> "charcoal makers" el carbonari (I believe) who were looking to easily
> transportable food for their trek into the mountains to make the charcoal.
> Dry Pasta, Pancetta and cheese need no refrigeration and eggs can be

readily
> found along the way. The sauce did not originate in WW II - that is a

myth;

> See : http://www.theartisan.net/FauxPas_Frameset.htm
>
> click on carbonara.

The origins of the dish are obviously not known for sure - even your source
uses "probably" when presenting its version. In any case, the important
point is that the dish has a legitimate tradition of sometimes being made
with smoked bacon and your earlier fulminations about how it can only be
made with pancetta were, in a word, wrong.

--
Peter Aitken

drag bits, step drag bits, chevron drag bits, API Reg thread dragbits, API IF thread drag bits, Arod thread drag bits, Nrod thread drag bits,2-wings drag bits, 3-wings drag bits, 4-wings drag bits, carbide drag bits,PDC drag bits, clay bits Jack[_10_] Baking 0 02-06-2009 03:02 AM
Making Bacon Bits Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 7 10-07-2006 04:34 AM
Making Bacon Bits Andy General Cooking 3 10-07-2006 04:31 AM
How are Bacon Bits made? jacqui{JB} General Cooking 35 21-03-2004 01:33 PM
Pasta Carbonara - What Bacon to use - or Ham? Fred Fowler General Cooking 19 07-01-2004 08:22 PM