Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tierra Negra

Has anyone used Tierra Negra cookware? What do you think? Have you used
it on a stove? Gas or electric burner?

TIA,

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On 29 Dec 2006 21:43:43 -0800, wrote:
>
> >Has anyone used Tierra Negra cookware? What do you think? Have you used
> >it on a stove? Gas or electric burner?

> I have eyed these for awhile, but can only give you my thoughts,
> rather than my experience with it...take them, then, with a grain of
> pink Himalayan salt.
>
> I think the stuff is gorgeous, but I am not too sure about it being
> convenient to use every day. Pots and pans get bounced around a bit
> and lovely as the finish is on these, you can only use wooden
> utensils. That makes me wary of how it'll hold up to scraping along on
> a gas burner or coil electric. Logically, it should be fine on a glass
> top electric, but even then, pans get pushed around somewhat and you
> need a perfectly flat bottom, hard to come by with handmade.
>
> For a stunning casserole or accent pot to use for serving from oven to
> table, I'd say swell, but too delicate for slam-bang everyday meal
> prep up top

<g> I asked for a covered casserole for Christmas and my mom got me TWO
Tierra Negra casseroles plus a set of Anchor Oven Basics (glass oven
dishes with plastic lids and other bits and pieces).

The Tierra Negra dishes are very light for ceramic and the glaze is a
bit sturdier than I expected, although one concern is just how
realistic is it to use them for daily cooking. The instructions
confusingly say to use wooden utensils, a nylon scrubber for cleaning
(slightly surprising, as I'd think that would scratch as well) and
"metal scouring pads can be used but excesive use may scratch or
tarnish the surface."

I think it will take a little experimentation to find how best to use
and care for the things. Thank god I have two.

On second thought, having just one minute ago exploded a regular
ceramic bowl half full of salt water on the electric burner (this was
an accident, I swear) (crap, how do you clean encrusted salt off an
electric coil?) I will probably only use the casseroles in the oven.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> >Has anyone used Tierra Negra cookware? What do you think? Have you used
>> >it on a stove? Gas or electric burner?

>> I have eyed these for awhile, but can only give you my thoughts,
>> rather than my experience with it...take them, then, with a grain of
>> pink Himalayan salt.
>>
>> I think the stuff is gorgeous, but I am not too sure about it being
>> convenient to use every day. Pots and pans get bounced around a bit
>> and lovely as the finish is on these, you can only use wooden
>> utensils. That makes me wary of how it'll hold up to scraping along on
>> a gas burner or coil electric. Logically, it should be fine on a glass
>> top electric, but even then, pans get pushed around somewhat and you
>> need a perfectly flat bottom, hard to come by with handmade.
>>
>> For a stunning casserole or accent pot to use for serving from oven to
>> table, I'd say swell, but too delicate for slam-bang everyday meal
>> prep up top

><g> I asked for a covered casserole for Christmas and my mom got me TWO
>Tierra Negra casseroles plus a set of Anchor Oven Basics (glass oven
>dishes with plastic lids and other bits and pieces).
>
>The Tierra Negra dishes are very light for ceramic and the glaze is a
>bit sturdier than I expected, although one concern is just how
>realistic is it to use them for daily cooking. The instructions
>confusingly say to use wooden utensils, a nylon scrubber for cleaning
>(slightly surprising, as I'd think that would scratch as well) and
>"metal scouring pads can be used but excesive use may scratch or
>tarnish the surface."
>

>I think it will take a little experimentation to find how best to use
>and care for the things. Thank god I have two.
>

>On second thought, having just one minute ago exploded a regular
>ceramic bowl half full of salt water on the electric burner (this was
>an accident, I swear) (crap, how do you clean encrusted salt off an
>electric coil?) I will probably only use the casseroles in the oven.
>

>V.

Good luck with them and do report back.

I'd wait until the coil was cool, then use a brush - maybe a
toothbrush - to scrape the dried salt off and a Dustbuster to pick it
up.

Careful of the glass shards, though.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> I have eyed these for awhile, but can only give you my thoughts,
> >> rather than my experience with it...take them, then, with a grain of
> >> pink Himalayan salt.
> >>
> >> I think the stuff is gorgeous, but I am not too sure about it being
> >> convenient to use every day. Pots and pans get bounced around a bit
> >> and lovely as the finish is on these, you can only use wooden
> >> utensils. That makes me wary of how it'll hold up to scraping along on
> >> a gas burner or coil electric. Logically, it should be fine on a glass
> >> top electric, but even then, pans get pushed around somewhat and you
> >> need a perfectly flat bottom, hard to come by with handmade.
> >>
> >> For a stunning casserole or accent pot to use for serving from oven to
> >> table, I'd say swell, but too delicate for slam-bang everyday meal
> >> prep up top

> ><g> I asked for a covered casserole for Christmas and my mom got me TWO
> >Tierra Negra casseroles plus a set of Anchor Oven Basics (glass oven
> >dishes with plastic lids and other bits and pieces).
> >
> >The Tierra Negra dishes are very light for ceramic and the glaze is a
> >bit sturdier than I expected, although one concern is just how
> >realistic is it to use them for daily cooking. The instructions
> >confusingly say to use wooden utensils, a nylon scrubber for cleaning
> >(slightly surprising, as I'd think that would scratch as well) and
> >"metal scouring pads can be used but excesive use may scratch or
> >tarnish the surface."
> >

> >I think it will take a little experimentation to find how best to use
> >and care for the things. Thank god I have two.
> >

> >On second thought, having just one minute ago exploded a regular
> >ceramic bowl half full of salt water on the electric burner (this was
> >an accident, I swear) (crap, how do you clean encrusted salt off an
> >electric coil?) I will probably only use the casseroles in the oven.
> >

> >V.

> Good luck with them and do report back.
>
> I'd wait until the coil was cool, then use a brush - maybe a
> toothbrush - to scrape the dried salt off and a Dustbuster to pick it
> up.
>
> Careful of the glass shards, though.
>
> Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> I just purchased the 2.5 quart casserole dish with cover. Before I
> commit to using it, I wondered if anyone had heard any assurance that
> these cooking dishes were lead free. I can't find it mentioned anywhere
> and would prefer to know they are lead free prior to deciding to keep
> it.

I've seen the kits in hardware stores, and somehow I think maybe they
might be carried in drugstores? Lead testing kits.

We already saved one family from lead poisoning by getting them to
test some imported tagine. When in doubt ...

You might find the lead testing kit in the paint department.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31 Dec 2006, 19:52, wrote:
> Boron Elgar wrote:

> > ><g> I asked for a covered casserole for Christmas and my mom got me TWO
> > >Tierra Negra casseroles plus a set of Anchor Oven Basics (glass oven
> > >dishes with plastic lids and other bits and pieces).

> > >The Tierra Negra dishes are very light for ceramic and the glaze is a
> > >bit sturdier than I expected, although one concern is just how
> > >realistic is it to use them for daily cooking. The instructions
> > >confusingly say to use wooden utensils, a nylon scrubber for cleaning
> > >(slightly surprising, as I'd think that would scratch as well) and
> > >"metal scouring pads can be used but excesive use may scratch or
> > >tarnish the surface."

> > >I think it will take a little experimentation to find how best to use
> > >and care for the things. Thank god I have two.

> > >On second thought, having just one minute ago exploded a regular
> > >ceramic bowl half full of salt water on the electric burner (this was
> > >an accident, I swear) (crap, how do you clean encrusted salt off an
> > >electric coil?) I will probably only use the casseroles in the oven.

> > >V.

> > Good luck with them and do report back.

> > I'd wait until the coil was cool, then use a brush - maybe a
> > toothbrush - to scrape the dried salt off and a Dustbuster to pick it
> > up.

> > Careful of the glass shards, though.

> > Boron

I got given some Teirra Negra cookware for a wedding present, and i
now don't know how i lived without them. I can use them on the top of
my gas stove, then put them in the oven and they look wonderful on the
table. My only problem is I dropped one on my tiled floor from high up
and it cracked. Does anyone know where i can buy them in the uk? i
would highly recomend these, they are the best thing i've cooked in,
and look fab too!