Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef Stew

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> Made beef stew tonight. I put it in the crockpot. Not done yet. Browned
> the
> beef before putting it in. Here is what I find strange. I rarely used my
> crock pot. For some reason this year I use it a lot.It is so handy.
>
> Michael

Their great little devices. Ain't too much you can't cook in them.
However their looked down upon with scorn by the elite. I don't use mine all
that often but I wouldn't be without it.

--
If we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made of meat?

> --
> Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste
> a hell of a lot better.
> - Robert Redford

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roughrider50 wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> 6.121...
> > Made beef stew tonight. I put it in the crockpot. Not done yet. Browned
> > the
> > beef before putting it in. Here is what I find strange. I rarely used my
> > crock pot. For some reason this year I use it a lot.It is so handy.
> >
> > Michael

> Their great little devices. Ain't too much you can't cook in them.
> However their looked down upon with scorn by the elite. I don't use mine all
> that often but I wouldn't be without it.

I don't know why the "elite" would frown on crockpots. Maybe something
of a backlash in reaction to all those bland, goopy 70's - era crockpot
recipes...

I find mind invaluable. It's great for stocks and soups. Thing is,
just be careful about making sure that meat and some other things are
browned before - hand, e.g. onions...also I've found that frex rice
gets all gloppy, if yer dish includes rice do it separately, add cooked
rice during the last minutes of cooking time.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roughrider50 wrote:
> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> 6.121...
>> Made beef stew tonight. I put it in the crockpot. Not done yet.
>> Browned the
>> beef before putting it in. Here is what I find strange. I rarely
>> used my crock pot. For some reason this year I use it a lot.It is
>> so handy.
>>
>> Michael

> Their great little devices. Ain't too much you can't cook in them.
> However their looked down upon with scorn by the elite. I don't use
> mine all that often but I wouldn't be without it.

I don't know why people disparage crock pot/slow cookers. For a person who
will not be home all day they do a wonderful job of cooking for you and you
come home and your stew or roast with veggies in gravy is done.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In the winter, my crock barely has time to get cool. From someone who
enjoys active cooking, this is a good endorsement

Then, I found my mother's 25 yo thing that's better - A Harvest Gold,
Teflon-lined pot that fits on a hotplate-griddle. It's brilliant. I can
brown meat and carmelize onions in the pot on the stove, then put the
same pot on the base, dump in the other stuff and do something else
until dinner. And super easy clean-up.

On the downside, the only thing you can make it is some kind of stew.
On the upside, you can put in damned near anything and come home to
stew.

gaz
..

Indian Beef Stew : 2 times onion (Beef Stew : do Piaz) [email protected] General Cooking 0 02-12-2005 09:19 AM
Beef Stew 2 Tim Recipes 0 04-05-2005 10:07 AM
Oven Beef Stew - 5 Hour Stew Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 26-04-2005 03:34 AM
beef stew hahabogus General Cooking 12 14-07-2004 10:20 PM