Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whatcha all Havin' for Christmas Grub.?...

Hi...With it being for me, just 2 Day's until the event.. (sorry folk..you
will be still sleeping when I over stuff myself) I was wondering how
other's of my friends here celebrate Christmas ..and what is on the menu
for you....

I will be having Christmas Dinner (at Lunch) at my oldest Daughter's
In-Laws.. I have done so since my wife (Helen) passed away back in Sept
88'...She used to have a great 'cook up' along the old lines of my English
heritage....Hot everything...It was great..and delicious as well...

Times have changed though...We do live in a 'Hot' climate here in Oz.. The
reverse to the 'Northern Hemisphere... (some of us celebrate the old
traditional Christmas in Oz during 'July')

At Christmas time now it is as follows .. We go to church at the earliest
service then head home to my oldest Daughter's home and see what Santa has
brought the kids...We then go down to the in-laws (virtually around the
corner).. and have beginner's .Pate and dips on biscuits with a glass (or
2) of Champer's and then at around 2 pm we will all sit down to a sumptuous
meal of Boiled Whole Salmon , and cold Chicken and Turkey ..Also some prawns
and other seafood that has been cooked on the 'Barbie'..Not forgetting the
cold ham and the warm roast pork with crackling.. I supply that myself.. I
don't particularly like cold pork... There will be numerous salads and warm
Potato dishes as well.. Then for sweets there will be 'Warm Plum Pudding
with brandy butter sauce and different Ice Creams.. All this will be washed
down with both White and Red wines plus a few bottles of 'Champaign..We then
retire to have a rest (and sleep) for us oldies and we then get up and start
all over again for the rest of the families that were at the various in-laws
for lunch...

Now ..How about you other's <BG>..

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza wrote:
> Hi...With it being for me, just 2 Day's until the event.. (sorry
> folk..you will be still sleeping when I over stuff myself) I was
> wondering how other's of my friends here celebrate Christmas ..and
> what is on the menu for you....
>
> I will be having Christmas Dinner (at Lunch) at my oldest Daughter's
> In-Laws.. I have done so since my wife (Helen) passed away back in
> Sept 88'...She used to have a great 'cook up' along the old lines of
> my English heritage....Hot everything...It was great..and delicious
> as well...
>
> Times have changed though...We do live in a 'Hot' climate here in
> Oz.. The reverse to the 'Northern Hemisphere... (some of us celebrate
> the old traditional Christmas in Oz during 'July')
>
> At Christmas time now it is as follows .. We go to church at the
> earliest service then head home to my oldest Daughter's home and see
> what Santa has brought the kids...We then go down to the in-laws
> (virtually around the corner).. and have beginner's .Pate and dips
> on biscuits with a glass (or 2) of Champer's and then at around 2 pm
> we will all sit down to a sumptuous meal of Boiled Whole Salmon , and
> cold Chicken and Turkey ..Also some prawns and other seafood that has
> been cooked on the 'Barbie'..Not forgetting the cold ham and the warm
> roast pork with crackling.. I supply that myself.. I don't
> particularly like cold pork... There will be numerous salads and
> warm Potato dishes as well.. Then for sweets there will be 'Warm Plum
> Pudding with brandy butter sauce and different Ice Creams.. All this
> will be washed down with both White and Red wines plus a few bottles
> of 'Champaign..We then retire to have a rest (and sleep) for us
> oldies and we then get up and start all over again for the rest of
> the families that were at the various in-laws for lunch...
>
> Now ..How about you other's <BG>..

It's just the hubby and me, so we don't so anything special. I think he
wants to bake a few pieces of ham and I'll probably have left-over stir fry
from a couple of days ago. Christmas Eve, tomorrow, is the splurging day.
We're going to my mother-in-law's house for cocktails and gift exchanges.
I'm bringing cheese fondue, cranberry bread and lemon bread (breads are in
the oven now). My mother-in-law usually serves a variety of cheeses with
crackers, veggies with dip, olives, pickled okra, pickles, etc.

Since my mother-in-law goes to her SO's family's house for Christmas, we
don't attend. I prefer that, actually; why hang out in a full house of
non-relatives? So, for us, Christmas day is a day like any other day, but
with no interruptions, allowing DH and me to just hang out together.
Sometimes that's enough of a blessing. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, my family is Polish (living in Wisconsin) and I always look
forward to Christmas if for nothing more than the Polish Dinner we have
every year. The table is full of Gptumpki, Pierogies, Several different
types of Polish Sausage (all home made!), Ham, Potatoes and Gravy,
Corn, Cucumbers and my mom's Traditional Poppy Seed Bread. It comes
from a recipe that dates back at least 300 years!

Prior to eating dinner we break Optki, which is also a Polish
tradition....sort of like breaking bread....sharing communion.....

In recent years other dishes have been introduced that sway from the
Polish tradition, but I still enjoy this holiday immensely simply for
the food! Yea, yea...hanging out with the family is nice too.

On Dec 23, 7:22 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Bigbazza wrote:
> > Hi...With it being for me, just 2 Day's until the event.. (sorry
> > folk..you will be still sleeping when I over stuff myself) I was
> > wondering how other's of my friends here celebrate Christmas ..and
> > what is on the menu for you....

> > I will be having Christmas Dinner (at Lunch) at my oldest Daughter's
> > In-Laws.. I have done so since my wife (Helen) passed away back in
> > Sept 88'...She used to have a great 'cook up' along the old lines of
> > my English heritage....Hot everything...It was great..and delicious
> > as well...

> > Times have changed though...We do live in a 'Hot' climate here in
> > Oz.. The reverse to the 'Northern Hemisphere... (some of us celebrate
> > the old traditional Christmas in Oz during 'July')

> > At Christmas time now it is as follows .. We go to church at the
> > earliest service then head home to my oldest Daughter's home and see
> > what Santa has brought the kids...We then go down to the in-laws
> > (virtually around the corner).. and have beginner's .Pate and dips
> > on biscuits with a glass (or 2) of Champer's and then at around 2 pm
> > we will all sit down to a sumptuous meal of Boiled Whole Salmon , and
> > cold Chicken and Turkey ..Also some prawns and other seafood that has
> > been cooked on the 'Barbie'..Not forgetting the cold ham and the warm
> > roast pork with crackling.. I supply that myself.. I don't
> > particularly like cold pork... There will be numerous salads and
> > warm Potato dishes as well.. Then for sweets there will be 'Warm Plum
> > Pudding with brandy butter sauce and different Ice Creams.. All this
> > will be washed down with both White and Red wines plus a few bottles
> > of 'Champaign..We then retire to have a rest (and sleep) for us
> > oldies and we then get up and start all over again for the rest of
> > the families that were at the various in-laws for lunch...

> > Now ..How about you other's <BG>..It's just the hubby and me, so we don't so anything special. I think he

> wants to bake a few pieces of ham and I'll probably have left-over stir fry
> from a couple of days ago. Christmas Eve, tomorrow, is the splurging day.
> We're going to my mother-in-law's house for cocktails and gift exchanges.
> I'm bringing cheese fondue, cranberry bread and lemon bread (breads are in
> the oven now). My mother-in-law usually serves a variety of cheeses with
> crackers, veggies with dip, olives, pickled okra, pickles, etc.
>
> Since my mother-in-law goes to her SO's family's house for Christmas, we
> don't attend. I prefer that, actually; why hang out in a full house of
> non-relatives? So, for us, Christmas day is a day like any other day, but
> with no interruptions, allowing DH and me to just hang out together.
> Sometimes that's enough of a blessing. :~)
>
> kili- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I went to a Woolworths supermarket near Wyong in N.S.W. to buy my North
American type Christmas provisions. I received a blank stare when I asked
for turnips (swedes?) and other typical cold climate vittles. I should have
known not to ask for fresh cranberries. Instead, I bought a whole leg of
ham and some corned mutton along with a lot of wine. Christmas day was a
balmy 38 C and I thought I would die in the heat. That is why most
Australians have the brains to serve foods more suited to a hot climate. It
was one of the best Christmas dinners ever. We had a huge Tasmanian lobster,
prawns, ham, mutton and grilled varieties of fish washed down with some
superb wines. I still think of Australia at Christmas time.
There are twelve huge turkeys in my freezer. One will be roasted in a
wood stove with all the trimmings . Everything on the yule table will be
from the farm. Roast turkey, mashed potatoes, turnip and carrot mash, sage
stuffing, brussels sprouts, cabbage salad, onion gravy and a wild raspberry
pie for dessert.

F.J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza wrote:
> Hi...With it being for me, just 2 Day's until the event.. (sorry folk..you
> will be still sleeping when I over stuff myself) I was wondering how
> other's of my friends here celebrate Christmas ..and what is on the menu
> for you....

We're getting together with family on Christmas Eve for the big deal,
but we're going out to eat for that meal.

Christmas dinner will just be the 3 of us, so we're going a little
decadent.

baked brie with apples and candied nuts
champagne

steamed lobster tails with drawn butter and aioli
wild rice pilaf
artichoke casserole
creamed parmesan spinach
roasted cauliflower
cranberry orange salad
sourdough rolls
apple cider

trifle
gingerbread
key lime pie
coffee, cocoa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Dec 2006 12:00:22 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:

>baked brie with apples and candied nuts

You do things easily.... what is your method for candying nuts?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On 23 Dec 2006 12:00:22 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:
>
>> baked brie with apples and candied nuts

I'm baking a brie tomorrow night with an orange/fig spread on top. I'm
hoping it will be as good as it sounds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2006 12:00:22 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:
>
> >baked brie with apples and candied nuts

> You do things easily.... what is your method for candying nuts?
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email

My all-time favorite is the pecans, dipped in beaten egg white with a
little water added, then doused in salt, sugar-cinnamon, and red chile
powder, maybe a little chipotle as well. bake about 45 minutes til
dried.

The almonds are in a glaze, similar to a brittle, really. They're good,
but the cinnamon pecans are addictive. I've tried a bunch of different
recipes but I like the meringue-y crunch you get from the egg whites.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> > On 23 Dec 2006 12:00:22 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:
> >
> >> baked brie with apples and candied nuts

> I'm baking a brie tomorrow night with an orange/fig spread on top. I'm
> hoping it will be as good as it sounds.

I usually wrap my own in puff pastry, but I went the lazy route for
Christmas. We bought this at BJs, but it's supposeed to be a good one.
It's god apricots, cranberries, almonds, and brandy, and it's wrapped
in brioche dough. Looks tasty! Let me know how yours was and i'll do
the same!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message
> Hi...With it being for me, just 2 Day's until the event.. (sorry
> folk..you
> will be still sleeping when I over stuff myself) I was wondering how
> other's of my friends here celebrate Christmas ..and what is on the menu
> for you....
>
> I will be having Christmas Dinner (at Lunch) at my oldest Daughter's
> In-Laws.. I have done so since my wife (Helen) passed away back in Sept
> 88'...She used to have a great 'cook up' along the old lines of my
> English
> heritage....Hot everything...It was great..and delicious as well...
>
> Times have changed though...We do live in a 'Hot' climate here in Oz..
> The
> reverse to the 'Northern Hemisphere... (some of us celebrate the old
> traditional Christmas in Oz during 'July')
>
> At Christmas time now it is as follows .. We go to church at the
> earliest
> service then head home to my oldest Daughter's home and see what Santa
> has
> brought the kids...We then go down to the in-laws (virtually around the
> corner).. and have beginner's .Pate and dips on biscuits with a glass
> (or
> 2) of Champer's and then at around 2 pm we will all sit down to a
> sumptuous
> meal of Boiled Whole Salmon , and cold Chicken and Turkey ..Also some
> prawns
> and other seafood that has been cooked on the 'Barbie'..Not forgetting
> the
> cold ham and the warm roast pork with crackling.. I supply that myself..
> don't particularly like cold pork... There will be numerous salads and
> warm
> Potato dishes as well.. Then for sweets there will be 'Warm Plum Pudding
> with brandy butter sauce and different Ice Creams.. All this will be
> washed
> down with both White and Red wines plus a few bottles of 'Champaign..We
> then
> retire to have a rest (and sleep) for us oldies and we then get up and
> start
> all over again for the rest of the families that were at the various
> in-laws
> for lunch...
>
> Now ..How about you other's <BG>..
>
> --
> Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

This is a different year for us. Everyone brings 1 item. I bringing home
made rolls and Jim is bringing apple pie. Others will bring veggies etc
and the turkey and ham are provide by the park.

Sounds interesting.

--
My Word
in

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote

> Goomba38 wrote:

>> I'm baking a brie tomorrow night with an orange/fig spread on top. I'm
>> hoping it will be as good as it sounds.

> I usually wrap my own in puff pastry, but I went the lazy route for
> Christmas. We bought this at BJs, but it's supposeed to be a good one.
> It's god apricots, cranberries, almonds, and brandy, and it's wrapped
> in brioche dough. Looks tasty! Let me know how yours was and i'll do
> the same!

I've had it in the back of my mind to try a triple creme brie one of these
days. Saw it on sale in a local supermarket. I know I am not getting some
fabulous specimen, but what the heck. $8.99 a pound. I'll probably try
it later this evening.

At any rate, when I was headed to Wegman's for my beautiful prime rib roast,
I took a look through the circular, what do I see? Triple creme brie on
sale,
$11.99 a pound. Darn, I should have waited, you know that's got to be
better.
It's Wegman's! And it's more expensive!

Wait a second. Took a closer look. It's the same brand! Hah. Good
for a laugh at my snobbish self.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"fudge" > wrote in message
> I went to a Woolworths supermarket near Wyong in N.S.W. to buy my North
> American type Christmas provisions. I received a blank stare when I asked
> for turnips (swedes?) and other typical cold climate vittles. I should
> have known not to ask for fresh cranberries. Instead, I bought a whole
> leg of ham and some corned mutton along with a lot of wine. Christmas day
> was a balmy 38 C and I thought I would die in the heat. That is why most
> Australians have the brains to serve foods more suited to a hot climate.
> It was one of the best Christmas dinners ever. We had a huge Tasmanian
> lobster, prawns, ham, mutton and grilled varieties of fish washed down
> with some superb wines. I still think of Australia at Christmas time.
> There are twelve huge turkeys in my freezer. One will be roasted in a
> wood stove with all the trimmings . Everything on the yule table will be
> from the farm. Roast turkey, mashed potatoes, turnip and carrot mash, sage
> stuffing, brussels sprouts, cabbage salad, onion gravy and a wild
> raspberry pie for dessert.
>
> F.J.

Yes...I was brought up on 'Hot' Christmas fare... The lot, Roast Suckling
Pig and Ham ,Capon Chickens (Not avail now I think)..Drake (Better than
Duck)...and hot veggies Plus...Hot Plum pudding..

My late wife (Helen) also cooked the same as my Mother did..But when she
passed away in 88' I have been going to my oldest Daughter's in-laws each
year..They originally had hot meals as we.. But probably for the last 13-14
years it has been as I posted..Much better than eating hot dinner's in
temperatures as high (some years) as 42-44oC...

People here in Oz (not me though) will celebrate the full Christmas dinner
during 'Christmas' in July...Then all the old style cooking is on :-)

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Bigbazza wrote:
>> Hi...With it being for me, just 2 Day's until the event.. (sorry
>> folk..you
>> will be still sleeping when I over stuff myself) I was wondering how
>> other's of my friends here celebrate Christmas ..and what is on the menu
>> for you....

> We're getting together with family on Christmas Eve for the big deal,
> but we're going out to eat for that meal.
>
> Christmas dinner will just be the 3 of us, so we're going a little
> decadent.
>
> baked brie with apples and candied nuts
> champagne
>
> steamed lobster tails with drawn butter and aioli
> wild rice pilaf
> artichoke casserole
> creamed parmesan spinach
> roasted cauliflower
> cranberry orange salad
> sourdough rolls
> apple cider
>
> trifle
> gingerbread
> key lime pie
> coffee, cocoa

Mmmmm...Hooray for being 'decadent'... Sounds absolutely
...Delicioussssss...to me..Yummy.. <g>..

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza wrote:

> Mmmmm...Hooray for being 'decadent'... Sounds absolutely
> ..Delicioussssss...to me..Yummy.. <g>..
>
> --
> Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

well hey, come on over! Just don't forget to bring your own lobster
tail. There's plenty of everything else. (Gotta love my family. 2
adults, 1 kid, and we're gort 3 desserts on the menu!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:18:53 -0800, sf rummaged among random neurons
and opined:

>On 23 Dec 2006 12:00:22 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:
>
>>baked brie with apples and candied nuts

>You do things easily.... what is your method for candying nuts?

You're not replying to my post, but I'll give you a nice candied nut
recipe anyway <g> (I'll be making this tomorrow to go with an old
fashioned Waldorf Salad):

Title: Sweet And Spicy Candied Pecans
Categories: appetizers
Yield: 1 1/2 cups

nonstick vegetable oil spray
3 tb light corn syrup
1 1/2 tb sugar
3/4 ts salt
1/4 ts freshly ground black pepper
1/8 ts cayenne pepper
1 1/2 c pecans

Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray. Combine
corn syrup and next 4 ingredients in large bowl. Stir to blend. Add
pecans; stir gently to coat. Transfer to baking sheet.

Place large piece of foil on work surface. Bake pecans 5 minutes.
Using fork, stir pecans to coat with melted spice mixture. Continue
baking until pecans are golden and coating bubbles, about 10 minutes.
Transfer to foil. Working quickly, separate nuts with fork. Cool. (Can
be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)

(Save yourself a step, bake them on foil then lift the foil from the
pan and separate the pecans with a fork. No pan to clean!)

Contributor: Bon Appétit

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry wrote:

> Times have changed though...We do live in a 'Hot' climate here in Oz.. The
> reverse to the 'Northern Hemisphere... (some of us celebrate the old
> traditional Christmas in Oz during 'July')

Informal meals seem to be the rule of the day for summer, and that applies
to Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere -- for the most part. However, there
are those who'd like to see a more formal affair, and I think that Barry
listed most of the things that would naturally grace a formal dinner table
in hot weather: Poached salmon, cold chicken/turkey, cold ham, and grilled
seafood.

My brother lives in Australia, and one year he asked me for guidance on what
would be a good menu for a formal holiday meal in the summertime. (Most
years he grills his catch of the day along with some other seafood, and has
a party on the patio, as seems a common Christmas practice there.)

Thing is, we in the USA don't *have* any tradition of formal holiday meals
in the summer; our summer holidays seem to revolve around cookouts. But a
cursory perusal of my old Gourmet cookbooks turned up chaud-froid, which
seemed to fit the bill nicely, so I tried to craft a menu around it.

Here's the menu I suggested to my brother (who was serving four adults and
two children):

Cold cream of zucchini soup
Lightly-boiled asparagus with vinaigrette dipping sauce
Cold ham covered with chaud-froid
Gingered cucumber salad
Moroccan cooked carrot salad
Tossed salad with a variety of dressings
Chocolate meringues with orange sherbet

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

WE'RE HAVING HAM DINNER....
CONNIE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:28:33 +1100, "Bigbazza"
> wrote:

>People here in Oz (not me though) will celebrate the full Christmas dinner
>during 'Christmas' in July...Then all the old style cooking is on :-)

Think about it.... they get TWO times Christmas and you only get one.
Maybe they're on to something. LOL

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Bigbazza wrote:
> Now ..How about you other's <BG>..

Nothing. :/

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Barry wrote:
>
>> Times have changed though...We do live in a 'Hot' climate here in Oz..
>> The
>> reverse to the 'Northern Hemisphere... (some of us celebrate the old
>> traditional Christmas in Oz during 'July')

> Informal meals seem to be the rule of the day for summer, and that applies
> to Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere -- for the most part. However,
> there are those who'd like to see a more formal affair, and I think that
> Barry listed most of the things that would naturally grace a formal dinner
> table in hot weather: Poached salmon, cold chicken/turkey, cold ham, and
> grilled seafood.
>
> My brother lives in Australia, and one year he asked me for guidance on
> what would be a good menu for a formal holiday meal in the summertime.
> (Most years he grills his catch of the day along with some other seafood,
> and has a party on the patio, as seems a common Christmas practice there.)
>
> Thing is, we in the USA don't *have* any tradition of formal holiday meals
> in the summer; our summer holidays seem to revolve around cookouts. But a
> cursory perusal of my old Gourmet cookbooks turned up chaud-froid, which
> seemed to fit the bill nicely, so I tried to craft a menu around it.
>
> Here's the menu I suggested to my brother (who was serving four adults and
> two children):
>

> Cold cream of zucchini soup
> Lightly-boiled asparagus with vinaigrette dipping sauce
> Cold ham covered with chaud-froid
> Gingered cucumber salad
> Moroccan cooked carrot salad
> Tossed salad with a variety of dressings
> Chocolate meringues with orange sherbet
>

> Bob

Our meal is to serve around 18-20 people (including 6-8 Children ) There
are at least 5 of us that will be preparing different parts of the menu...

It is Christmas eve here in Oz..I roasted a small 'stuffed' leg of Turkey
(seasoned with Cranberry's and Apple Seasoning), Roasted Potatoes and
Butternut Squash (a variety of pumpkin to us in Oz) and made a Gravy/Sauce
with the bits and pieces in bottom of roasting dish using the 'seasoned'
water off the green peas we also had.. All washed down with some Oz white
wine..and Champer's... :-)

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Bigbazza wrote:
>> Now ..How about you other's <BG>..

> Nothing. :/
>
> -L.

LOL..You must be on a 'Diet' then :-).. But then...You must be eating
something though..even if it is sausages and mash..

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
> "Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> This is a different year for us. Everyone brings 1 item. I bringing home
> made rolls and Jim is bringing apple pie. Others will bring veggies etc
> and the turkey and ham are provide by the park.
>
> Sounds interesting.

Who brings the dishes? :~) In any case you're going to end up with a
varied menu! Sounds like fun.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Dec 2006 00:04:26 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Barry wrote:
>
>> Times have changed though...We do live in a 'Hot' climate here in Oz.. The
>> reverse to the 'Northern Hemisphere... (some of us celebrate the old
>> traditional Christmas in Oz during 'July')

>Informal meals seem to be the rule of the day for summer, and that applies
>to Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere -- for the most part. However, there
>are those who'd like to see a more formal affair, and I think that Barry
>listed most of the things that would naturally grace a formal dinner table
>in hot weather: Poached salmon, cold chicken/turkey, cold ham, and grilled
>seafood.

<snippage of lovely menu>

I have friends in New Zealand (Dunedin). They celebrate Christmas
much as we celebrate the 4th of July, menu-wise. And then in the dead
of winter (July), they celebrate a second Christmas with a menu more
or less like the traditional ones about which we've been talking.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bigbazza" > wrote:

> I was wondering how
> other's of my friends here celebrate Christmas ..and what is on the menu
> for you....

Wild boar ragoût. The meat is marinating as we speak.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> "MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
>> "Bigbazza" > wrote in message

>> This is a different year for us. Everyone brings 1 item. I bringing
>> home
>> made rolls and Jim is bringing apple pie. Others will bring veggies
>> etc
>> and the turkey and ham are provide by the park.
>>
>> Sounds interesting.
>>

> Who brings the dishes? :~) In any case you're going to end up with a
> varied menu! Sounds like fun.
>
> kili

This is our first Christmas down south. How they have it set up is a list
of tables with items that need to be brought and you just put your name
down beside what you want at a table. I make good rolls so I'll bring
those. Made our Christmas sweet rolls today and have already been into
those!

Does sound fun, hope it is.

--
My Word
in
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> "Bigbazza" > wrote:
>

>>I was wondering how
>>other's of my friends here celebrate Christmas ..and what is on the menu
>>for you....

> Wild boar ragoût. The meat is marinating as we speak.
>
> Victor

Oh, my, are you cooking or are you invited for Christmas Dinner? Wild
Boar is one of many meats I have never tasted. Is it very gamy?
Enjoy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MG MG is offline

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message
> Hi...With it being for me, just 2 Day's until the event.. (sorry folk..you
> will be still sleeping when I over stuff myself) I was wondering how
> other's of my friends here celebrate Christmas ..and what is on the menu
> for you....
>
> I will be having Christmas Dinner (at Lunch) at my oldest Daughter's
> In-Laws.. I have done so since my wife (Helen) passed away back in Sept
> 88'...She used to have a great 'cook up' along the old lines of my English
> heritage....Hot everything...It was great..and delicious as well...
>
> Times have changed though...We do live in a 'Hot' climate here in Oz.. The
> reverse to the 'Northern Hemisphere... (some of us celebrate the old
> traditional Christmas in Oz during 'July')
>
> At Christmas time now it is as follows .. We go to church at the earliest
> service then head home to my oldest Daughter's home and see what Santa has
> brought the kids...We then go down to the in-laws (virtually around the
> corner).. and have beginner's .Pate and dips on biscuits with a glass
> (or
> 2) of Champer's and then at around 2 pm we will all sit down to a
> sumptuous
> meal of Boiled Whole Salmon , and cold Chicken and Turkey ..Also some
> prawns
> and other seafood that has been cooked on the 'Barbie'..Not forgetting the
> cold ham and the warm roast pork with crackling.. I supply that myself.. I
> don't particularly like cold pork... There will be numerous salads and
> warm
> Potato dishes as well.. Then for sweets there will be 'Warm Plum Pudding
> with brandy butter sauce and different Ice Creams.. All this will be
> washed
> down with both White and Red wines plus a few bottles of 'Champaign..We
> then
> retire to have a rest (and sleep) for us oldies and we then get up and
> start
> all over again for the rest of the families that were at the various
> in-laws
> for lunch...
>
> Now ..How about you other's <BG>..
>
> --
> Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

we ended up with the following (everybody brought something to the table,
which made things a bit easier)

fresh prawns
platter no.1 - prosciutto, mild sopressa, hot capocollo, hot calabrese
salami, pastrami, dressed with golden grape tomatoes and basil leaves
platter no.2 - cheeses incl provolone, parmigiano, pepper Watsonia, King
Island camembert, some blue cheese (don't know which), Emmentaler, and
homemade quince paste
asstd crackers & breads
gravad lax, with bowls of dill sauce or sour cream and capers
platter no. 3 - antipasti, incl marinated artichokes, marinated eggplant,
home-pickled olives, cornichons, chunky crab dip

roast turkey, roast potatoes, carrots, onions and heads of garlic, gravy,
peas and corn

baby spinach and rocket salad, with walnuts, shaved parmesan, grape tomatoes

dessert was a bit different...sis made a blueberry clafoutis, served with
cream...very light and yummy...perfect end to the meal (even if we did have
dessert at 1700hrs after starting lunch at 1400hrs lol)

cheers and merrry Christmas!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

> How different are wild boar and domestic pork?

They could as well be completely different species, tastewise, even
though wild boar is rarely really "gamy".

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Oh, my, are you cooking or are you invited for Christmas Dinner?

Cooking myself.

> Wild
> Boar is one of many meats I have never tasted. Is it very gamy?

It is only rarely at all gamy. It does have a rather more pronounced -
and different - taste than pork, with some nutty overtones. Hard to
describe a taste.

I prepared the ragoût, improvising as I went along, according to what I
could find in my larder and fridge, yet it turned out to be not much
different than many other wild boar stew recipes. First, I marinated
the meat for about 20 hours in a mixture of white wine, vinegar, various
and sundry herbs and spices, such as dill, rosemary, thyme, parsley,
coriander leaves (cilantro), basil. oregano, chives, onions, garlic,
juniper berries, black peppercorns, and ginger. There were a lot of
ingredients, but not all that much as a whole. Then I removed the meat
pieces, discarding the marinade liquid, and dried them on paper towels.
I then seared them briefly all over in some clarified butter and removed
the meat from the pan. Then I fried up some cubed bacon and added a
couple minced onions and about ten fairly large chopped chanterelles,
and, a little later, some chopped fresh garlic cloves (really fresh,
still soft, with soft skin). I also added a chopped carrot. I then
combined meat and all of the above in a heavy cast iron casserole, added
some red wine and some beef stock, and put the casserole, covered, in a
hot oven for about 1.5 hours. I served the ragoût with some potato
dumplings. Mighty tasty. The wine served was Amarone.

Bubba Vic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christmas Eve:

German pancake with homemade cinnamon applesauce
Bacon

Christmas:
Cornish game hens
Green beans and carrots added to the roasting pan with the hens toward
the end of cooking, tossed in the drippings along with butter and
Worcestershire sauce
Long grain and wild rice with some raisins added
Rolls

Later on, we'll have egg nog pie and champagne.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote in message
> On 24 Dec 2006 00:04:26 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>>Barry wrote:
>>
>>> Times have changed though...We do live in a 'Hot' climate here in Oz..
>>> The
>>> reverse to the 'Northern Hemisphere... (some of us celebrate the old
>>> traditional Christmas in Oz during 'July')

>>Informal meals seem to be the rule of the day for summer, and that applies
>>to Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere -- for the most part. However,
>>there
>>are those who'd like to see a more formal affair, and I think that Barry
>>listed most of the things that would naturally grace a formal dinner table
>>in hot weather: Poached salmon, cold chicken/turkey, cold ham, and grilled
>>seafood.

> <snippage of lovely menu>
>
> I have friends in New Zealand (Dunedin). They celebrate Christmas
> much as we celebrate the 4th of July, menu-wise. And then in the dead
> of winter (July), they celebrate a second Christmas with a menu more
> or less like the traditional ones about which we've been talking.
>
> TammyM

Many here in Oz also do that ...It's called 'Christmas in July'....I
personally don't..

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking