Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Whatcha Makin' This Weekend???

I'm makin':
Peach jam for my DIL who is mad about peaches and...
pesto, my basil is still doin' okay despite no rain--I'm keepin' it
wet with harvested water from the a/c drain.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/5/2011 6:57 PM, Mimi wrote:
> I'm makin':
> Peach jam for my DIL who is mad about peaches and...
> pesto, my basil is still doin' okay despite no rain--I'm keepin' it
> wet with harvested water from the a/c drain.

We're mulching the newly cleaned out flower beds in the front of the
house, garden is basically gone due to drought. Nothing producing, our
basil didn't stand a chance, didn't get one batch.

Miz Anne is at the local free farmer's market this morning. Took a truck
load of house and potted plants, cut zinnias, and a dozen quart bags of
dehydrated bay leaves taken from our bay laurel recently. Hope she sells
it all and doesn't bring anything home. <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 16:57:48 -0700 (PDT), Mimi >
wrote:

>I'm makin':
>Peach jam for my DIL who is mad about peaches and...
>pesto, my basil is still doin' okay despite no rain--I'm keepin' it
>wet with harvested water from the a/c drain.

Harvested some pickling cucumbers this morning. We hadn't made bread &
butter pickles for years so that's what they became. Only got enough
for a 6 pint batch so, we scaled down and used a saved recipe,
originally posted to RFP some time ago, by Her Eminence Melba Ist.
In addition to the cucumbers, the onions, garlic and green pepper also
from our garden, had to resort to store bought for the red pepper.
Only addition we made to the recipe was the addition of Pickle Crisp.
Sure do make fine looking jars of pickles.
Thanks Barb.

Ross, with a lot of help from Gerry.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, Ross@home
wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 16:57:48 -0700 (PDT), Mimi >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm makin':
> >Peach jam for my DIL who is mad about peaches and...
> >pesto, my basil is still doin' okay despite no rain--I'm keepin' it
> >wet with harvested water from the a/c drain.

> Harvested some pickling cucumbers this morning. We hadn't made bread &
> butter pickles for years so that's what they became. Only got enough
> for a 6 pint batch so, we scaled down and used a saved recipe,
> originally posted to RFP some time ago, by Her Eminence Melba Ist.
> In addition to the cucumbers, the onions, garlic and green pepper also
> from our garden, had to resort to store bought for the red pepper.
> Only addition we made to the recipe was the addition of Pickle Crisp.
> Sure do make fine looking jars of pickles.
> Thanks Barb.
>
> Ross, with a lot of help from Gerry.

You're welcome. I just set my fourth batch to soaking in the salted ice.
Next up is prepping the infusion for mint jelly.
Followed by finishing the berry chipotle barbecue sauce.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, Ross@home
> wrote:
>
> You're welcome. I just set my fourth batch to soaking in the salted ice.
> Next up is prepping the infusion for mint jelly.
> Followed by finishing the berry chipotle barbecue sauce.
> --
> Barb,
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

2 boxes of eggplants for pickled eggplants in olive oil. 1, 15# box of
cucumbers and 1, 15t# box of jalapenos also a handful of Anaheim and
poblano peppers

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/9/2011 9:46 AM, Mike wrote:
> "Melba's > wrote in message
>> In >, Ross@home
>> wrote:
>>
>> You're welcome. I just set my fourth batch to soaking in the salted ice.
>> Next up is prepping the infusion for mint jelly.
>> Followed by finishing the berry chipotle barbecue sauce.
>> --
>> Barb,
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

> 2 boxes of eggplants for pickled eggplants in olive oil. 1, 15# box of
> cucumbers and 1, 15t# box of jalapenos also a handful of Anaheim and
> poblano peppers

That sounds pretty ambitious! Do you share the eggplant recipe?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 8/9/2011 9:46 AM, Mike wrote:
>> "Melba's > wrote in message
>>> In >, Ross@home
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> You're welcome. I just set my fourth batch to soaking in the salted
>>> ice.
>>> Next up is prepping the infusion for mint jelly.
>>> Followed by finishing the berry chipotle barbecue sauce.
>>> --
>>> Barb,
>>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

>> 2 boxes of eggplants for pickled eggplants in olive oil. 1, 15# box of
>> cucumbers and 1, 15t# box of jalapenos also a handful of Anaheim and
>> poblano peppers
>>

> That sounds pretty ambitious! Do you share the eggplant recipe?
>
> gloria p

http://www.msadventuresinitaly.com/b...zane-sottolio/

This is pretty close to how I do them now I sliced them in rounds from
1/4" to 1/2 inch thick. I laid down newspaper, then paper towels and a
layer of sliced eggplant I covered that with another layer of paper towel
more newspaper goes over this. the newspaper soaks up the moisture and the
paper towel keeps the print away from the eggplant. repeat for however many
eggplants you have. I used a big cookie sheet with weights to press down on
the eggplants for several hours and extract excess moisture. My friend
likes to grill them on low heat to dry them out he says they taste better
that way. I haven't tried them that way yet. The dryer they are the
chewier they get.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 08/10/11 2:43 AM, sometime in the recent past Mike posted this:
> > wrote in message

>>> 2 boxes of eggplants for pickled eggplants in olive oil. 1, 15# box of
>>> cucumbers and 1, 15t# box of jalapenos also a handful of Anaheim and
>>> poblano peppers
>>>

>> That sounds pretty ambitious! Do you share the eggplant recipe?
>>
>> gloria p

> http://www.msadventuresinitaly.com/b...zane-sottolio/
>
> This is pretty close to how I do them now I sliced them in rounds from
> 1/4" to 1/2 inch thick. I laid down newspaper, then paper towels and a
> layer of sliced eggplant I covered that with another layer of paper towel
> more newspaper goes over this. the newspaper soaks up the moisture and the
> paper towel keeps the print away from the eggplant. repeat for however many
> eggplants you have. I used a big cookie sheet with weights to press down on
> the eggplants for several hours and extract excess moisture. My friend
> likes to grill them on low heat to dry them out he says they taste better
> that way. I haven't tried them that way yet. The dryer they are the
> chewier they get.

While you're pickling eggplant, here's the recipe I use when my garden
cooperates - might not salt the layers with fresh eggplant, but it does help
pull the moisture

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 08:46:45 -0700, "Mike"
> wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >, Ross@home
>> wrote:
>>
>> You're welcome. I just set my fourth batch to soaking in the salted ice.
>> Next up is prepping the infusion for mint jelly.
>> Followed by finishing the berry chipotle barbecue sauce.
>> --
>> Barb,
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

>2 boxes of eggplants for pickled eggplants in olive oil. 1, 15# box of
>cucumbers and 1, 15t# box of jalapenos also a handful of Anaheim and
>poblano peppers

What size would those boxes of eggplant be?
Two boxes of eggplant, pickled in oil, sounds like a lot of eggplant
to consume within two weeks.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Wilson" > wrote in message
> On 08/10/11 2:43 AM, sometime in the recent past Mike posted this:
>> > wrote in message

>>> That sounds pretty ambitious! Do you share the eggplant recipe?
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> http://www.msadventuresinitaly.com/b...zane-sottolio/
>>
>> This is pretty close to how I do them now I sliced them in rounds
>> from
>> 1/4" to 1/2 inch thick. I laid down newspaper, then paper towels and
>> layer of sliced eggplant I covered that with another layer of paper towel
>> more newspaper goes over this. the newspaper soaks up the moisture and
>> the
>> paper towel keeps the print away from the eggplant. repeat for however
>> many
>> eggplants you have. I used a big cookie sheet with weights to press down
>> on
>> the eggplants for several hours and extract excess moisture. My friend
>> likes to grill them on low heat to dry them out he says they taste better
>> that way. I haven't tried them that way yet. The dryer they are the
>> chewier they get.
>>

> While you're pickling eggplant, here's the recipe I use when my garden
> cooperates - might not salt the layers with fresh eggplant, but it does
> help pull the moisture
>
>> Title: Pickled Eggplant
>> Yield: 84 Ounces
>>
>> 5 lb Eggplant 1 c Mint, fresh
>> 1 qt Vinegar, white 1/3 c Garlic, cloves coarse
>> 1 pt Water 3 T Oregano or 1/3 C
>> fresh
>> 1 x Salt 1 c Olive (EVO) oil
>> 1 c Basil, fresh
>>
>> 1) Peel & slice eggplant lengthwise about finger size. Layer these
>> slices
>> on a plate, salting down each layer. Cover this with another plate
>> and
>> weigh down with heavy weight for 4 to 5 hours (have done this
>> overnight
>> with no problem.) Drain & rinse with several quarts of cold water &
>> re-press to expell excess liquid.
>>
>> 2) With fresh herb, clean and pat dry. Then coarsely chop mint and
>> oregano
>> first along with the garlic. Set aside. Have basil ready to be
>> chopped.
>>
>> 3) Bring to a boil the vinegar and water.
>>
>> 4) Drain the eggplant and add to the water and vinegar and boil for 1
>> minute. Remove the eggplant (unsqueezed) and place in a large bowl.
>>
>> 4) Chop the basil to desired size and mix into eggplant first while
>> warm.
>> Then mix in the oregano, mint and garlic. When well mixed, add the
>> olive
>> oil and mix thoroughly.
>>
>> 5) Jar cold w/no processing, but cover tightly.
>> Dried herbs can be used.
>>
>> 6) Stores well in the fridge for as long as it lasts ?

> --
> Wilson 44.69, -67.3

5#'s isn't much, 2 or 3 eggplants I may try this 1 for comparison. I dont
know if I would take the time to peel them though

Posted to rec.food.preserving

<Ross@home> wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 08:46:45 -0700, "Mike"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>> In article >, Ross@home
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> You're welcome. I just set my fourth batch to soaking in the salted
>>> ice.
>>> Next up is prepping the infusion for mint jelly.
>>> Followed by finishing the berry chipotle barbecue sauce.
>>> --
>>> Barb,
>>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

>>2 boxes of eggplants for pickled eggplants in olive oil. 1, 15# box of
>>cucumbers and 1, 15t# box of jalapenos also a handful of Anaheim and
>>poblano peppers
>>

> What size would those boxes of eggplant be?
> Two boxes of eggplant, pickled in oil, sounds like a lot of eggplant
> to consume within two weeks.
>
> Ross.

I didnt weigh them but there is over 20 eggplants in a box. I pickled 8
and filled up a gallon sized Olive jar.
2 weeks will turn into several months, No doubt.
I will be trading and selling the remainder of the E.P.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/10/2011 12:43 AM, Mike wrote:

> http://www.msadventuresinitaly.com/b...zane-sottolio/
>
> This is pretty close to how I do them now I sliced them in rounds from
> 1/4" to 1/2 inch thick. I laid down newspaper, then paper towels and a
> layer of sliced eggplant I covered that with another layer of paper towel
> more newspaper goes over this. the newspaper soaks up the moisture and the
> paper towel keeps the print away from the eggplant. repeat for however many
> eggplants you have. I used a big cookie sheet with weights to press down on
> the eggplants for several hours and extract excess moisture. My friend
> likes to grill them on low heat to dry them out he says they taste better
> that way. I haven't tried them that way yet. The dryer they are the
> chewier they get.

I may make just one jar at a time so I can refrigerate it. The thought
of botulism does cross my mind whenever I think of vegetables in oil.

Thanks so much. That sounds delicious. I am now sorry I didn't learn
to like eggplant until a few years ago because I've had some really
wonderful eggplant meals since.

Thanks again,
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 8/10/2011 12:43 AM, Mike wrote:
>

>> http://www.msadventuresinitaly.com/b...zane-sottolio/
>>
>> This is pretty close to how I do them now I sliced them in rounds
>> from
>> 1/4" to 1/2 inch thick. I laid down newspaper, then paper towels and
>> layer of sliced eggplant I covered that with another layer of paper towel
>> more newspaper goes over this. the newspaper soaks up the moisture and
>> the
>> paper towel keeps the print away from the eggplant. repeat for however
>> many
>> eggplants you have. I used a big cookie sheet with weights to press down
>> on
>> the eggplants for several hours and extract excess moisture. My friend
>> likes to grill them on low heat to dry them out he says they taste better
>> that way. I haven't tried them that way yet. The dryer they are the
>> chewier they get.
>>

> I may make just one jar at a time so I can refrigerate it. The thought
> of botulism does cross my mind whenever I think of vegetables in oil.
>
> Thanks so much. That sounds delicious. I am now sorry I didn't learn to
> like eggplant until a few years ago because I've had some really wonderful
> eggplant meals since.
>
> Thanks again,
> gloria p

I'm with you on that I hated eggplant as recently as 4 or 5 years ago.
Zucchini was a favorite to dislike for almost as long. My Mom was a great
cook but she sucked at cooking zucchini . It was mushy and awful when she
made it.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/10/2011 10:10 PM, Mike wrote:

> I'm with you on that I hated eggplant as recently as 4 or 5 years ago.
> Zucchini was a favorite to dislike for almost as long. My Mom was a great
> cook but she sucked at cooking zucchini . It was mushy and awful when she
> made it.

Travel to Morocco and Greece where eggplant is a staple really showed me
how good it can be in so many different recipes.

gloria p