Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trans-fat free Crisco

I notice my local Andronico's does not stock the new
trans-fat free Crisco. Is it not being distributed
in Northern California yet, or should I keep looking?

Thanks
Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>I notice my local Andronico's does not stock the new
> trans-fat free Crisco. Is it not being distributed
> in Northern California yet, or should I keep looking?

It is available at Raley's and Save-mart here in Modesto. So perhaps keep
looking??

Cindi

> Thanks
> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>>I notice my local Andronico's does not stock the new
>> trans-fat free Crisco. Is it not being distributed
>> in Northern California yet, or should I keep looking?

> It is available at Raley's and
> Save-mart here in Modesto. So perhaps keep looking??

Thanks -- guess I'll give the Raley's in El Sobrante a try.
(There aren't any Raley's in the inner bay area, or damned
few of them anyway).

My purpose here is to try using the stuff to make a crust
for a pot pie. Fact is, it's one of several cooking projects
I won't get around to before leaving for winter vacation.
So little time.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>I notice my local Andronico's does not stock the new
> trans-fat free Crisco. Is it not being distributed
> in Northern California yet, or should I keep looking?
>
> Thanks
> Steve

I just bought some yesterday and I'm in Northern California.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:36:07 -0800, "King's Crown"
> wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>>I notice my local Andronico's does not stock the new
>> trans-fat free Crisco. Is it not being distributed
>> in Northern California yet, or should I keep looking?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Steve

>I just bought some yesterday and I'm in Northern California.
>
>Lynne

Crisco is one thing, and I dont have a clue what Crisco is used for,
but does anyone make or sell trans-fat free margarine? Pouring
vegetable oil on bread is not very good, and being allergic to milk,
no butter. I dont think they have found a way to produce trans-fat
free margarine yet. Otherwise it would just be liquid oil, wouldn't
it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 10:07 pm, Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote on 21 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

<snip>
> > I have found personally, and have also read (from very knowledgeable
> > bakers, that it is better to use both butter and Crisco in making the
> > pie crust. I think I have seen ratios of about 2/3 butter to 1/3
> > shortening.

> > Christine

> I use lard why mess with something that works well? I don't often eat pies
> or pastry stuff. At xmas it's sausage rolls and in the summer it's an apple
> pie or 2. So 3 maybe 4 times a year I partake of pastry made with lard.

How good to see someone sticking up for lard! Ain't nothin' better in a
pie crust.
Anyone who hasn't tried it, should.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I found some at a Safeway in DC after looking at several stores in the
area that didn't have it. I was actually surprised to find it in the
store where I found it, so if you keep looking you might turn some up.

FYI, the trans fat-free Crisco is not really trans fat-free. Because
of the way the regulations are written, it has a negligible amount per
serving and that can be rounded to zero. The ingredients list,
however, includes partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils.

I went looking for this because I'm attempting to replicate a biscuit
recipe that uses Crisco (and I'm working with a sketchy version of the
recipe, so I don't want to eliminate something I know is in it). If
you want something completely without partially hydrogenated oils, this
is not it.

Pat

Steve Pope wrote:
> I notice my local Andronico's does not stock the new
> trans-fat free Crisco. Is it not being distributed
> in Northern California yet, or should I keep looking?
>
> Thanks
> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Dec 2006 10:53:16 -0800, "Cryambers" > wrote:

>FYI, the trans fat-free Crisco is not really trans fat-free. Because
>of the way the regulations are written, it has a negligible amount per
>serving and that can be rounded to zero. The ingredients list,
>however, includes partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils.

If it has anything hydrogenated, it's NOT free of transfat. That
process is precisely what is causing all the artery clogging. If they
advertise it as transfat free, thats false advertising.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>On 22 Dec 2006 10:53:16 -0800, "Cryambers" > wrote:

>>FYI, the trans fat-free Crisco is not really trans fat-free. Because
>>of the way the regulations are written, it has a negligible amount per
>>serving and that can be rounded to zero. The ingredients list,
>>however, includes partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils.

Thanks for this info. Guess I won't be trying it out after
all.

>If it has anything hydrogenated, it's NOT free of transfat. That
>process is precisely what is causing all the artery clogging. If they
>advertise it as transfat free, thats false advertising.

If it's PARTIALLY hydrogenated is has trans-fat; if it's
completely hydrogenated (i.e. saturated) then there is no
trans-fat.

But I do not know if "hydrogenated" on a lable might mean partially
hydrogenated in some cases.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote on 22 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Do you use commercial lard, or "homemade"?
>
> TammyM

comercial.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> > wrote:
>
> >On 22 Dec 2006 10:53:16 -0800, "Cryambers" > wrote:

> > > FYI, the trans fat-free Crisco is not really trans fat-free.
> > > Because of the way the regulations are written, it has a
> > > negligible amount per serving and that can be rounded to zero.
> > > The ingredients list, however, includes partially hydrogenated
> > > cottonseed and soybean oils.

> Thanks for this info. Guess I won't be trying it out after
> all.

Considering the quality of the information, I wouldn't be hasty.

> > If it has anything hydrogenated, it's NOT free of transfat. That
> > process is precisely what is causing all the artery clogging. If
> > they advertise it as transfat free, thats false advertising.

> If it's PARTIALLY hydrogenated is has trans-fat; if it's
> completely hydrogenated (i.e. saturated) then there is no
> trans-fat.
>
> But I do not know if "hydrogenated" on a lable might mean partially
> hydrogenated in some cases.

Read for yourself:

<http://crisco.com/about/prod_info.asp?groupID=17&catId=63&FlavorId=344>

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:29:03 -0600, wrote:

>Crisco is one thing, and I dont have a clue what Crisco is used for,
>but does anyone make or sell trans-fat free margarine?

Yep. I love this stuff:
http://earthbalance.net/product.html#p3

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Soft Sugar Drop Cookies, Made with "0-Trans Fat Crisco" Cuthbert Thistlethwaite General Cooking 6 16-06-2008 02:42 PM
Trans-Fat Substitute Even Worse Than Trans-Fats Mark Thorson General Cooking 0 29-11-2007 02:17 AM
KFC/Taco Bell Trans-fat Free Announcement!?!? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 2 30-04-2007 06:50 PM
crisco? Jen General Cooking 32 05-12-2006 01:54 PM
Crisco's GrilledCornSalad [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 29-08-2006 03:33 AM