Ted Feuerbach

Default Charcuterie Failure

I recently attempted a country pate from the Jaques and
Julia cookbook. I cooked it in a Terrine pan in a water
bath, caul fat wrapper, the whole nine yards. Tastes
great. Problem is, it is crumbly. How do the commercial
pate makers make it come out so solid?

Ted Feuerbach feuer<*>feuerbach.com
Feuerbach & Associates www.feuerbach.com
Disclaimer: Well OK, I guess I do speak for F&A don't I?
Bob Pastorio

Ted Feuerbach wrote:

> I recently attempted a country pate from the Jaques and
> Julia cookbook. I cooked it in a Terrine pan in a water
> bath, caul fat wrapper, the whole nine yards. Tastes
> great. Problem is, it is crumbly. How do the commercial
> pate makers make it come out so solid?

Did you chill it? Did you pour off the rendered fat? Did you reduce
the amount of fat in it? Did you press it?

Pastorio

Book: Charcuterie and French Swine Cookery? Sqwertz General Cooking 20 16-05-2010 07:03 PM
Book: Charcuterie and French Swine Cookery? Omelet[_7_] Barbecue 1 16-05-2010 07:03 PM
Book: Charcuterie and French Swine Cookery? Sqwertz Barbecue 0 16-05-2010 03:01 AM
PMD...as a failure PMD Winemaking 0 12-10-2003 08:09 PM
Charcuterie Failure Harry Demidavicius General Cooking 4 03-10-2003 01:30 AM