Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pie Problems

For the last few years, I've been having a problem with cream pies - the ones with the pre-baked crusts and meringue toppings.

Sometimes, when we cut the pie, there is a large amount of clear liquid that soaks through the crust. What am I doing wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

texpat wrote:

> For the last few years, I've been having a problem with cream pies - the
> ones with the pre-baked crusts and meringue toppings.
>
> Sometimes, when we cut the pie, there is a large amount of clear liquid
> that soaks through the crust. What am I doing wrong.

Sealing the crust with egg whites will help keep it from
absorbing moisture and getting soggy. When you prebake your
crust, brush it with egg white about 10 minutes before it's
done cooking.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:
> texpat wrote:
>
> > For the last few years, I've been having a problem with cream pies - the
> > ones with the pre-baked crusts and meringue toppings.
> >
> > Sometimes, when we cut the pie, there is a large amount of clear liquid
> > that soaks through the crust. What am I doing wrong.

> Sealing the crust with egg whites will help keep it from
> absorbing moisture and getting soggy. When you prebake your
> crust, brush it with egg white about 10 minutes before it's
> done cooking.
>
> --
> Reg

I have a problem when blind-baking for a single-crust cream pie - I use
parchment to line the crust, and then dry beans for the weights. If I
brush the crust with egg, the parchment sticks to it and pulls bits of
crust up. This can't be this hard - do I lightly spray the parchment
with non-stick spray?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I have a problem when blind-baking for a single-crust cream pie - I use
> parchment to line the crust, and then dry beans for the weights. If I
> brush the crust with egg, the parchment sticks to it and pulls bits of
> crust up. This can't be this hard - do I lightly spray the parchment
> with non-stick spray?

You can safely remove the pie weights towards the last half
of cooking. The crust only puffs up in the beginning, after
which the weights are no longer required.

So, about halfway through the cook remove it from the oven,
get rid of the weights, brush on the egg whites, and finish
cooking until it's browned to your liking.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote

> texpat wrote:
>
>> For the last few years, I've been having a problem with cream pies - the
>> ones with the pre-baked crusts and meringue toppings.
>> Sometimes, when we cut the pie, there is a large amount of clear liquid
>> that soaks through the crust. What am I doing wrong.

> Sealing the crust with egg whites will help keep it from
> absorbing moisture and getting soggy. When you prebake your
> crust, brush it with egg white about 10 minutes before it's
> done cooking.

Also, if you google this newsgroup for meringue and weeping, you
will find lots of suggestions for avoiding the liquid problem.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> Reg wrote:
>> texpat wrote:
>>
>>> For the last few years, I've been having a problem with cream pies - the
>>> ones with the pre-baked crusts and meringue toppings.
>>>
>>> Sometimes, when we cut the pie, there is a large amount of clear liquid
>>> that soaks through the crust. What am I doing wrong.

>> Sealing the crust with egg whites will help keep it from
>> absorbing moisture and getting soggy. When you prebake your
>> crust, brush it with egg white about 10 minutes before it's
>> done cooking.
>>
>> --
>> Reg

> I have a problem when blind-baking for a single-crust cream pie - I use
> parchment to line the crust, and then dry beans for the weights. If I
> brush the crust with egg, the parchment sticks to it and pulls bits of
> crust up. This can't be this hard - do I lightly spray the parchment
> with non-stick spray?
>
> N.

Take it out after 10 minutes and remove the parchment. Brush with
eggwash. Bake a little longer. (I just made this up, I haven't tried it)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > I have a problem when blind-baking for a single-crust cream pie - I use
> > parchment to line the crust, and then dry beans for the weights. If I
> > brush the crust with egg, the parchment sticks to it and pulls bits of
> > crust up. This can't be this hard - do I lightly spray the parchment
> > with non-stick spray?
> >
> > N.
> >

> Take it out after 10 minutes and remove the parchment. Brush with
> eggwash. Bake a little longer. (I just made this up, I haven't tried it)
>
> Bob

Thanks, both of youse guys. I've always left the parchment in the
whole time. Duh.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> texpat wrote:
>
> For the last few years, I've been having a problem with cream
> pies - the ones with the pre-baked crusts and meringue
> toppings.
>
> Sometimes, when we cut the pie, there is a large amount of
> clear liquid that soaks through the crust. What am I doing
> wrong.

Are you cooling the cream filling before putting it into the pie
shell?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

No, just about 5 minutes. But I've ALWAYS done it that way.

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is the meringue - not beating
long enough to dissolve the sugar.

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions.

Fix PC Problems ahaa General Cooking 5 03-10-2007 05:25 PM
problems with soy?? help please peter Vegan 1 07-06-2007 07:10 AM
google problems aem General Cooking 11 23-03-2005 11:33 PM
"I have no problems with... " Troublemaker Vegan 1 08-11-2003 04:17 PM
"I have no problems with a..." TofuBoy Barbecue 8 06-11-2003 05:26 PM