Posted to rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Disodium Inosinate
> Disodium Guanylate
> Calcium Lactate
> Soy Lecithin
> Lactic Acid
> Dextrose
> Vegetable color
>

> So, are there any msg subsitutes here?

Not substitutes, as such, but several that contain trace
glutamates created in processing. Hydrolyzed proteins,
maltodextrin, dried whey, yeast extract and maybe natural
flavors. The disodiums are often used to heighten the
effects of glutamates.

We're using MSG as the universal descriptor here and it's
not quite correct. There are other glutamates and there's
also glutamic acid that can be found in foods.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Minor's Chicken Base

Bob (this one) wrote:
\>
> We're using MSG as the universal descriptor here and it's
> not quite correct. There are other glutamates and there's
> also glutamic acid that can be found in foods.
>
> Pastorio

Thanks, had a hunch that might be the case as I was typing this up.
Makes a pretty good case for home made, doesn't it?

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

kuvasz guy wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
> \>
> > We're using MSG as the universal descriptor here and it's
> > not quite correct. There are other glutamates and there's
> > also glutamic acid that can be found in foods.

> Thanks, had a hunch that might be the case as I was typing this up.
> Makes a pretty good case for home made, doesn't it?

Depends what you're after. My grandmother used to add MSG to her
homemade chicken stock. Made it even more delicious. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> > Thanks, had a hunch that might be the case as I was typing this up.
> > Makes a pretty good case for home made, doesn't it?
> >

> Depends what you're after. My grandmother used to add MSG to her
> homemade chicken stock. Made it even more delicious. -aem

Sure... I can handle the trace amounts, but I've had adverse reactions
to larger quantities... My comment was aimed more along the lines of
knowing and being able to pronounce the names of the items that go into
your dish... In this case, although I knew chicken was the primary
item in the minors, I hadn't given much thought to the other
ingredients.

...fred