Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vegan Irish Beef Stew

This is a recipe I have been refining for over a year now... enjoy.

Vegan Irish Beef Stew

· 4 medium size potatoes (or 8 baby potatoes)
· ˝ cup chopped celery
· ˝ cup chopped carrots
· 1 cup of chopped onions
· 2 12-oz containers of Ray's seitan (do not drain)
· 12 oz of yards love stout or IPA or other dark beer
· 3 cloves of crushed garlic
· 1 teaspoon dried sage
· 1 teaspoon dried thyme
· 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
· 1 quart vegetable stock* (Emeril's makes an excellent stock)
· 2 tablespoons vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
· 1 16 oz bag frozen peas
· 1 tablespoon low-salt tamari
· A couple dashes of liquid smoke
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· Pepper to taste

Tip: Get your produce from a cheap produce store. No salt needed as
many of the ingredients (stock, Worcestershire sauce, tamari, etc.)
already contain a good amount of salt.

Directions:

1. Heat large pot on high and add tablespoon of olive oil.
2. Add celery, onion, carrots, and a small amount of stock. Add pepper
to taste. Sauté on medium heat for a few minutes.
3. Add garlic, sage, thyme, potatoes, some of the stock, and half
bottle of stout or IPA. Stir for a few minutes.
4. ĺ
5. Add the rest of the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and
add the rosemary sprig.
6. After 5 minutes remove rosemary sprig and add the peas. Add the
last half bottle of IPA. Reduce and serve.

Optional: Once reduced enough mash some of the potatoes and peas in the
pot with a spoon. This will give the stew a thicker and starchier
texture.

*For a more earthy stew, include some mushroom stock or broth.

Serves 6-8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bronwyn wrote:

>> This is a recipe I have been refining for over a year now... enjoy.
>> [snip]

> And it is vegetable stew not beef stew.
> Otherwise I will post my delicious lobster stew which does not contain
> any traces of lobster....

Or a leberkase recipe without leber and kase.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> This is a recipe I have been refining for over a year now... enjoy.

Now if you could just work on the name. There is no beef in it, and Irish stew
is made with lamb. Why not just call it No-Crust Chicken Pot Pie?

> Vegan Irish Beef Stew
>
> · 4 medium size potatoes (or 8 baby potatoes)
> · ˝ cup chopped celery
> · ˝ cup chopped carrots
> · 1 cup of chopped onions
> · 2 12-oz containers of Ray's seitan (do not drain)
> · 12 oz of yards love stout or IPA or other dark beer
> · 3 cloves of crushed garlic
> · 1 teaspoon dried sage
> · 1 teaspoon dried thyme
> · 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
> · 1 quart vegetable stock* (Emeril's makes an excellent stock)
> · 2 tablespoons vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
> · 1 16 oz bag frozen peas
> · 1 tablespoon low-salt tamari
> · A couple dashes of liquid smoke
> · 1 tablespoon olive oil
> · Pepper to taste
>
> Tip: Get your produce from a cheap produce store. No salt needed as
> many of the ingredients (stock, Worcestershire sauce, tamari, etc.)
> already contain a good amount of salt.
>
> Directions:
>
> 1. Heat large pot on high and add tablespoon of olive oil.
> 2. Add celery, onion, carrots, and a small amount of stock. Add pepper
> to taste. Sauté on medium heat for a few minutes.
> 3. Add garlic, sage, thyme, potatoes, some of the stock, and half
> bottle of stout or IPA. Stir for a few minutes.
> 4. ĺ
> 5. Add the rest of the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and
> add the rosemary sprig.
> 6. After 5 minutes remove rosemary sprig and add the peas. Add the
> last half bottle of IPA. Reduce and serve.
>
> Optional: Once reduced enough mash some of the potatoes and peas in the
> pot with a spoon. This will give the stew a thicker and starchier
> texture.
>
> *For a more earthy stew, include some mushroom stock or broth.
>
> Serves 6-8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:

> What's wrong here? *VEGAN* Irish *BEEF* Stew...
>
> VEGAN...BEEF???????
>
> What am I missing?

You are missing suspension of disbelief :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Hmmm... faux lobster stew. Faux beef stew. For some reason I'm reminded of
> the cafeteria in high school. Did you ever have "Mock Pizza Pie"? IIRC

it
> was Gawd awful

I never got the "mock" thing with food, why not just name it for the main
ingredient or whatever...

Years ago in some hippie vegan place I saw one of the menu items was a
"Mockburger". Yeah, that sounds *real* tasty...

--
Best
Greg