Aria

Default Heavy Soy Sauce

Does anyone know what heavy soy sauce is? It is also called mushroom soy???
Couldn't find it in the Asian market. Thanks...

levelwave

Aria wrote:

> Does anyone know what heavy soy sauce is? It is also called mushroom soy???
> Couldn't find it in the Asian market. Thanks...

There is such a thing as Mushroom flavored soy sauce... If that helps...
It's usually right next to the other soys in the Asian Markets...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

Scott Taylor

"Aria" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know what heavy soy sauce is? It is also called mushroom

soy???
> Couldn't find it in the Asian market. Thanks...

Heavy soy sauce is thicker and contains some molasses. It's usually marketed
as "double dark" or "double black" soy sauce and should be right next to the
regular stuff on the shelf, if you're lucky enough to have an Asian market
nearby. I've never seen it sold at any of the chain supermarkets, like
Safeway or Albertsons.

-Scott

-Scott

Bigbazza

"Aria" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know what heavy soy sauce is? It is also called mushroom

soy???
> Couldn't find it in the Asian market. Thanks...

I buy Mushroom Soy from most of the Asian Food shops here in Sydney..It must
be generally available..It is a rather more 'Bitter' and stronger version of
Soy Sauce and has a strong Mushroom flavour....

Bigbazza..Oz..

Peter Aitken

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Aria wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what heavy soy sauce is? It is also called mushroom

soy???
> > Couldn't find it in the Asian market. Thanks...

> There is such a thing as Mushroom flavored soy sauce... If that helps...
> It's usually right next to the other soys in the Asian Markets...
>
> ~john!

I suspect heavy soy is the same thing as dark soy - and different from
mushroom soy.

--
Peter Aitken

Rosie Miller

>Does anyone know what heavy soy sauce is? It is also called mushroom soy???

I thibnk heavy soy sauce may be the regular soy sauce, as opposed to light soy.

Rosie
Rosie Miller

>Nope; it's its own animal. It _is_ thicker than regular soy sauce. In
>fact, I usually see it labeled "thick" soy sauce. At the risk of
>offending any purists in the crowd, you can pretty safely substitute
>regular soy sauce for thick soy sauce and come pretty close to the
>intended flavor and texture. I wouldn't skip a recipe just because it
>called for a little thick soy sauce.
>
>sd
>

>thank you, , I guess I can always learn something new.

Rosie

Aria

Actually didn't skip the recipe and it turned out absolutely fantastic. It
was a Beef with Brocolli which I'm usually not that fond of. Yummers....

"Rosie Miller" > wrote in message

> >Nope; it's its own animal. It _is_ thicker than regular soy sauce. In
> >fact, I usually see it labeled "thick" soy sauce. At the risk of
> >offending any purists in the crowd, you can pretty safely substitute
> >regular soy sauce for thick soy sauce and come pretty close to the
> >intended flavor and texture. I wouldn't skip a recipe just because it
> >called for a little thick soy sauce.
> >
> >sd
> >

> >thank you, , I guess I can always learn something new.

> Rosie

White Heavy Duty Poly TarpsWhite Heavy Duty Poly Tarps bretthogg Diabetic 0 07-05-2011 11:52 AM
Heavy snow in NY dee General Cooking 13 10-02-2007 01:40 AM
Heavy & Light Crhoff Winemaking 4 28-12-2005 08:46 PM
heavy pizza Dirty Harry General Cooking 13 16-08-2005 05:12 AM
Heavy Soy Sauce Aria Asian Cooking 21 06-10-2003 05:14 PM