Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping Jill McQuown: Soup For The Coming Cold Days

For Jill McQuown, who loves soups.

A Nice Soup For A Cold Day

STUFFED CABBAGE SOUP, Recipe by Maurice Mayer, aka Computer Guru

2 lbs ground beef

Brown in heavy bottomed pot in small amount of oil, remove meat and
set aside, save oil in pot.

2 large onions chopped

Soften the onions until translucent (do not brown) in the same pot and
drain excess oil afterwards.

Add the following:

3 lbs of shredded or chopped Napa cabbage

1/2 cup brown sugar (or to taste)

1/4 cup lemon juice

14 oz can of low sodium beef or chicken broth

2 large cans (28 oz, 794 g) of whole peeled tomatoes

1 large can of chopped tomatoes

1 large can of water

1/2 - 3/4 cup of white rice

Salt and Pepper to taste (optional)

Return the browned ground beef to the pot. Bring all to a boil then
simmer until rice and cabbage are done (about 30 to 45 minutes). If
there is not enough liquid, add more broth or water.

This is the basic recipe for “unstuffed” stuffed cabbage. You can use
your own recipe for stuffed cabbage and just save the step to stuff
the leaves. I recommend Napa cabbage because it is fairly mild and
cooks nicely in a short time.

Makes 8 to 10 portions

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MG MG is offline

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> For Jill McQuown, who loves soups.
>

> A Nice Soup For A Cold Day
>

> STUFFED CABBAGE SOUP, Recipe by Maurice Mayer, aka Computer Guru
>

> 2 lbs ground beef
>
> Brown in heavy bottomed pot in small amount of oil, remove meat and set
> aside, save oil in pot.
>
> 2 large onions chopped
>
> Soften the onions until translucent (do not brown) in the same pot and
> drain excess oil afterwards.
>
> Add the following:
>
> 3 lbs of shredded or chopped Napa cabbage
>
> 1/2 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
>
> 1/4 cup lemon juice
>
> 14 oz can of low sodium beef or chicken broth
>
> 2 large cans (28 oz, 794 g) of whole peeled tomatoes
>
> 1 large can of chopped tomatoes
>
> 1 large can of water
>
> 1/2 - 3/4 cup of white rice
>
> Salt and Pepper to taste (optional)
>

> Return the browned ground beef to the pot. Bring all to a boil then
> simmer until rice and cabbage are done (about 30 to 45 minutes). If there
> is not enough liquid, add more broth or water.
>

> This is the basic recipe for “unstuffed” stuffed cabbage. You can use your
> own recipe for stuffed cabbage and just save the step to stuff the leaves.
> I recommend Napa cabbage because it is fairly mild and cooks nicely in a
> short time.
>
> Makes 8 to 10 portions

definitely going to try this one, thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:
> For Jill McQuown, who loves soups.
>

> A Nice Soup For A Cold Day
>

> STUFFED CABBAGE SOUP, Recipe by Maurice Mayer, aka Computer Guru
>

> 2 lbs ground beef
>
> Brown in heavy bottomed pot in small amount of oil, remove meat and
> set aside, save oil in pot.
>
> 2 large onions chopped
>
> Soften the onions until translucent (do not brown) in the same pot and
> drain excess oil afterwards.

We made a double batch of this wonderful soup with cabbage, onions and
tomatos from the garden. Just wanted to let you know that it freezes
really well, I put it in portions for two in zip-lock bags and into the
freezer. Just thaw a bit then put in the micro wave in a safe container
and you are ready for a hearty meal with a sandwich, cheese and
crackers or just soup. Jan

> Add the following:
>
> 3 lbs of shredded or chopped Napa cabbage
>
> 1/2 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
>
> 1/4 cup lemon juice
>
> 14 oz can of low sodium beef or chicken broth
>
> 2 large cans (28 oz, 794 g) of whole peeled tomatoes
>
> 1 large can of chopped tomatoes
>
> 1 large can of water
>
> 1/2 - 3/4 cup of white rice
>
> Salt and Pepper to taste (optional)
>

> Return the browned ground beef to the pot. Bring all to a boil then
> simmer until rice and cabbage are done (about 30 to 45 minutes). If
> there is not enough liquid, add more broth or water.
>

> This is the basic recipe for "unstuffed" stuffed cabbage. You can use
> your own recipe for stuffed cabbage and just save the step to stuff
> the leaves. I recommend Napa cabbage because it is fairly mild and
> cooks nicely in a short time.
>
> Makes 8 to 10 portions

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MG wrote:
> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>
>> For Jill McQuown, who loves soups.
>>

>> A Nice Soup For A Cold Day
>>

>> STUFFED CABBAGE SOUP, Recipe by Maurice Mayer, aka Computer Guru
>>

>> 2 lbs ground beef
>>
>> Brown in heavy bottomed pot in small amount of oil, remove meat and set
>> aside, save oil in pot.
>>
>> 2 large onions chopped
>>
>> Soften the onions until translucent (do not brown) in the same pot and
>> drain excess oil afterwards.
>>
>> Add the following:
>>
>> 3 lbs of shredded or chopped Napa cabbage
>>
>> 1/2 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
>>
>> 1/4 cup lemon juice
>>
>> 14 oz can of low sodium beef or chicken broth
>>
>> 2 large cans (28 oz, 794 g) of whole peeled tomatoes
>>
>> 1 large can of chopped tomatoes
>>
>> 1 large can of water
>>
>> 1/2 - 3/4 cup of white rice
>>
>> Salt and Pepper to taste (optional)
>>

>> Return the browned ground beef to the pot. Bring all to a boil then
>> simmer until rice and cabbage are done (about 30 to 45 minutes). If there
>> is not enough liquid, add more broth or water.
>>

>> This is the basic recipe for “unstuffed” stuffed cabbage. You can use your
>> own recipe for stuffed cabbage and just save the step to stuff the leaves.
>> I recommend Napa cabbage because it is fairly mild and cooks nicely in a
>> short time.
>>
>> Makes 8 to 10 portions

> definitely going to try this one, thanks

That sounds pretty good. I had been experimenting with ways to get the
stuffed cabbage experience without the work. I agree about the Napa
cooking quicker and we use a lot of it but I would use the plain old
round head cabbage because it has a lot more "cabbage taste" to
complement the tomatoes and onion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:

> This is the basic recipe for “unstuffed” stuffed cabbage. You can use
> your own recipe for stuffed cabbage and just save the step to stuff the
> leaves. I recommend Napa cabbage because it is fairly mild and cooks
> nicely in a short time.
>
> Makes 8 to 10 portions

Made this today for dinner and it worked out really well. Thanks for the
idea. I had been looking for the cabbage roll taste without the work.

I used plain old cabbage and steamed it about 15 minutes before adding
the other ingredients. The only change I made was adding a half dozen
cloves of garlic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>>

>> This is the basic recipe for “unstuffed” stuffed cabbage. You can use
>> your own recipe for stuffed cabbage and just save the step to stuff
>> the leaves. I recommend Napa cabbage because it is fairly mild and
>> cooks nicely in a short time.
>>
>> Makes 8 to 10 portions
>>

> Made this today for dinner and it worked out really well. Thanks for
> the idea. I had been looking for the cabbage roll taste without the
> work.
>
> I used plain old cabbage and steamed it about 15 minutes before adding
> the other ingredients. The only change I made was adding a half dozen
> cloves of garlic.

I missed (or bellsouth's newsgroup server did) the original post from
Margaret. I'd love to see what it said!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I missed (or bellsouth's newsgroup server did) the original post from
> Margaret. I'd love to see what it said!
>
> Jill

Here it is, especially for you. )