Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spice question

Hello all - does anyone know of a spice shop or market in San
Francisco or LA that carries top quality cinnamon bark and the elusive
grains of paradise? We're looking for the kind of place that's
well-stocked, with a knowledgeable staff, and of course redolent with
the aromas of the merchandise. Many thanks -
Mary

http://www.citygirlhardware.com

Always take off one piece of jewelry before emailing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 19:03:08 -0700, resplendent
> wrote:

>Hello all - does anyone know of a spice shop or market in San
>Francisco or LA that carries top quality cinnamon bark and the elusive
>grains of paradise? We're looking for the kind of place that's
>well-stocked, with a knowledgeable staff, and of course redolent with
>the aromas of the merchandise. Many thanks -
>Mary
>

>http://www.citygirlhardware.com
>
>Always take off one piece of jewelry before emailing.

Penzeys has a store in Torrance, and while they carry great cinnamon,
they don't have Grains of Paradise.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ml?id=f6jeXTfq

You can order Grains of Paradise online. Even from Amazon.

http://www.thespicehouse.com/product...escription.php

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"resplendent" > wrote in message

> Hello all - does anyone know of a spice shop or market in San
> Francisco or LA that carries top quality cinnamon bark and the elusive
> grains of paradise? We're looking for the kind of place that's
> well-stocked, with a knowledgeable staff, and of course redolent with
> the aromas of the merchandise. Many thanks -
> Mary

Redolent with aromas? To me that would indicate that the packaging and
storage of the merchandise were inadequate. Any flavor molecules floating
around in the air store are molecules that are not going to get as far as
your food.

This site has links to lots of places that sell 'grains of paradise.'

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Afra_mel.html

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
resplendent > wrote:

> Hello all - does anyone know of a spice shop or market in San
> Francisco or LA that carries top quality cinnamon bark and the elusive
> grains of paradise? We're looking for the kind of place that's
> well-stocked, with a knowledgeable staff, and of course redolent with
> the aromas of the merchandise. Many thanks -
> Mary
>

> http://www.citygirlhardware.com
>
> Always take off one piece of jewelry before emailing.

Why not buy online? Check http://www.penzeys.com for a wide selection of
spices, including cinnamon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rich wrote:
> "resplendent" > wrote in message
> >
> > Hello all - does anyone know of a spice shop or market in San
> > Francisco or LA that carries top quality cinnamon bark and the elusive
> > grains of paradise? We're looking for the kind of place that's
> > well-stocked, with a knowledgeable staff, and of course redolent with
> > the aromas of the merchandise. Many thanks -
> > Mary

> Redolent with aromas? To me that would indicate that the packaging and
> storage of the merchandise were inadequate. Any flavor molecules floating
> around in the air store are molecules that are not going to get as far as
> your food.

-Rich

Unless they, for example, grind spices on site (like The Spice House,
in old town Chicago) or have samples on display or have so much
business that jars are constantly opening and closing. Or they have
shipments in boxes that still smell of the foreign port.

Greg Zywicki