Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seems to me we could be eating healthier

Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit

Radio Havana Cuba
http://www.radiohc.cu

USA Number One:
Highest Infant Mortality Rate Among Industrialized Countries

Washington, September 26 (RHC)-- The United States is Number One among
industrialized nations around the world -- with the highest infant
mortality rate. According to a new study, when compared to nearly two
dozen
other industrialized countries, the U.S. not only has the highest
mortality
rate among young peopel, but the lowest life expectancy for people who
have
reached the age of 60.

Those statistics were part of a report on the U.S. health care system
released by The Commonwealth Fund's Commission on a High Performance
Health
System. The study looked at 37 national indicators of health outcomes,
quality, access, equity and efficiency and assigned a score to each.
The US
scored an average of 66 out of a possible 100 -- a failing grade.

The study found that if performance were improved in key areas, the
United
States could save an estimated 150,000 lives and perhaps as much as
$100
billion annually. For example, if health care providers increased the
proportion of patients who have their diabetes and high blood pressure
under control, as many as 40,000 deaths per year could be prevented at
savings of at least one billion dollars, according to the National
Committee for Quality Assurance.

The new report also reveals that nearly one in four U.S. adults
reported
having to wait at least six days to receive care when they needed
medical
attention. It also shows that Latinos are far more likely to lack
health
insurance than other ethnic and racial groups.

According to the new study, the mortality rate among African-Americans
is
significantly higher at infancy and for those with heart disease or
diabetes. The report says that Blacks also have considerably lower
rates of
cancer survival.

*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Sep 2006 17:36:00 -0700, "jill" > wrote:

>Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit
>
>Radio Havana Cuba
>http://www.radiohc.cu
>
>USA Number One:
>Highest Infant Mortality Rate Among Industrialized Countries
>
>Washington, September 26 (RHC)-- The United States is Number One among
>industrialized nations around the world -- with the highest infant
>mortality rate. According to a new study, when compared to nearly two
>dozen
>other industrialized countries, the U.S. not only has the highest
>mortality
>rate among young peopel, but the lowest life expectancy for people who
>have
>reached the age of 60.

Not only eating healthier, but living healthier and exercising more.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jill wrote:
> Via NY Transfer News Collective * All the News that Doesn't Fit
>
> Radio Havana Cuba
> http://www.radiohc.cu
>
> USA Number One:
> Highest Infant Mortality Rate Among Industrialized Countries
>
> Washington, September 26 (RHC)-- The United States is Number One among

While I appreciate your concerns and appreciate these last few posts as
being food/nutrition related, this is not the newsgroup to further your
political beliefs or agendas. Try one of the alt.politics ngs.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:06:18 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>While I appreciate your concerns and appreciate these last few posts as
>being food/nutrition related, this is not the newsgroup to further your
>political beliefs or agendas. Try one of the alt.politics ngs.
>
>Jill

That's funny. The OT queen making up rules.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:06:18 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>

>> While I appreciate your concerns and appreciate these last few posts
>> as being food/nutrition related, this is not the newsgroup to
>> further your political beliefs or agendas. Try one of the
>> alt.politics ngs.
>>
>> Jill

> That's funny. The OT queen making up rules.
>
> Lou

Just occurred to me I haven't posted anything OT in a month. Maybe it's
time I start again, eh? But seriously, with all the discussion that goes
on in rfc about fast food vs. you can make it tastier, cheaper, healthier at
home, I think we already know this. Posting an article about it (and this
article is about healthcare) on this ng isn't going to open anyone's eyes
nor change anything. And FWIW, I don't find "organic" food to be any better
than other food but it sure does cost more. Go figure.

Jill <---off to the farmer's market for some winter squash

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:41:43 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>> That's funny. The OT queen making up rules.
>>
>> Lou

>Just occurred to me I haven't posted anything OT in a month.

That's pretty cool. Did you have to attend meetings for that? Do you
get a coin like other 12 step programs?

>Maybe it's time I start again, eh?

I'm just a nobody here so my opinion doesn't count, but I'd rather you
posted ON topic. You're obviously a competent cook and can add
something of value here. Post whatever you want, but your food posts
are better.

>But seriously, with all the discussion that goes
>on in rfc about fast food vs. you can make it tastier, cheaper, healthier at
>home, I think we already know this. Posting an article about it (and this
>article is about healthcare) on this ng isn't going to open anyone's eyes
>nor change anything.

Who is we? There are new people who stumble in here everyday. Some
are college kids just learning. The article might have new information
for them. By you're own statement the articles were ON topic. Just
because you don't want to talk about it, or it bores you, it seems you
turn people away. You did something similar to "aem" in regards to
the guilt of Jeff Smith. (or whatever his name is) Maybe you should
tell Victor that he shouldn't post the FAQ anymore because "we" have
seen it before. Or maybe "we" should never discuss stone soup anymore
for the 1375th time. That way no newbies will invade this space and
it will die without lifeblood.

Speaking of stone soup,,,,,anyone who likes the tale can to
alt.binaries.pictures.clip-art and get about 20 cute pictures. It's
not my gig but I'm sure they could be framed and be cute in the right
kitchen. I only looked at a few but kids might like them.

> And FWIW, I don't find "organic" food to be any better
>than other food but it sure does cost more. Go figure.

Let's not talk about that in this thread ok? <wink-wink>

>Jill <---off to the farmer's market for some winter squash

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:11:32 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

>>Just occurred to me I haven't posted anything OT in a month.

> That's pretty cool. Did you have to attend meetings for that? Do you
> get a coin like other 12 step programs?

"Hi, my name is Jill and I'm a recovering off-topic poster."

"Hi, Jill!"

"It's been one month since I posted an off-topic comment to Usenet which,
by-the-way, is taking entirely too much time away from my book-reading
time. Speaking of books, has anyone read the new John Grisham yet? I
haven't but since all of his books are about lawyers I seldom read them
anyway. I used to date a lawyer. He was more interested in his firm than
me so we broke up. I thought about starting a support group for people
just getting out of a bad relationship but I didn't know where I could hold
the meetings. Maybe the church? I'm really looking for a new church since
the one I'm currently attending has too many busy-bodies in it. Nothing
but gossiping and people asking you about your personal business. I hate
gossips except for my mom; she always has the latest on my neighbors
daughter. She told her parents she was raped and got pregnant but in
reality she's just a slut. I hate sluts. When I was in high school..."

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail fm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> Speaking of stone soup,,,,,anyone who likes the tale can to
> alt.binaries.pictures.clip-art and get about 20 cute pictures.

I'd like to get these pictures for my wife, who is doing stone soup with
the kids at church in a month or so. I didn't see them on the group.
Any hints as to subject or author?

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:09:03 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>

>> Speaking of stone soup,,,,,anyone who likes the tale can to
>> alt.binaries.pictures.clip-art and get about 20 cute pictures.

>I'd like to get these pictures for my wife, who is doing stone soup with
>the kids at church in a month or so. I didn't see them on the group.
>Any hints as to subject or author?

I remember you from another life, so I went and got them for you. 19
images with about half including the text. I'm doing a domestic
project, but in the morning I'll find a place to plop them. I'd
rather post then mail.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maybe not immediately apparent, but jill and Jill are indeed two
separate people. Jill obviously did not post the original message, I
did. I would not want for anyone to mistake me for Jill.
jill

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:09:03 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >

> >> Speaking of stone soup,,,,,anyone who likes the tale can to
> >> alt.binaries.pictures.clip-art and get about 20 cute pictures.

> >I'd like to get these pictures for my wife, who is doing stone soup with
> >the kids at church in a month or so. I didn't see them on the group.
> >Any hints as to subject or author?

> I remember you from another life, so I went and got them for you. 19
> images with about half including the text. I'm doing a domestic
> project, but in the morning I'll find a place to plop them. I'd
> rather post then mail.
>
> Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jill wrote:
> maybe not immediately apparent, but jill and Jill are indeed two
> separate people. Jill obviously did not post the original message, I
> did. I would not want for anyone to mistake me for Jill.
> jill

Ditto!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:41:43 -0500, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>>> That's funny. The OT queen making up rules.
>>>
>>> Lou

>> Just occurred to me I haven't posted anything OT in a month.

> That's pretty cool. Did you have to attend meetings for that? Do you
> get a coin like other 12 step programs?
>
>> Maybe it's time I start again, eh?

> I'm just a nobody here so my opinion doesn't count, but I'd rather you
> posted ON topic. You're obviously a competent cook and can add
> something of value here. Post whatever you want, but your food posts
> are better.

Thank you I hope that includes my trip reports since in those I get to
eat what other people (okay, restaurants) cook and hopefully steer people
who might visit those places to good places, rather than bad or mediocre

>> But seriously, with all the discussion that goes
>> on in rfc about fast food vs. you can make it tastier, cheaper,
>> healthier at home, I think we already know this. Posting an article
>> about it (and this article is about healthcare) on this ng isn't
>> going to open anyone's eyes nor change anything.

> Who is we? There are new people who stumble in here everyday. Some
> are college kids just learning. The article might have new information
> for them. By you're own statement the articles were ON topic.

Except for the one about Health Care. But by "we" I mean the CABAL... uh,
no! TINC! Regular readers and posters to rfc

> Speaking of stone soup,,,,,anyone who likes the tale can to
> alt.binaries.pictures.clip-art and get about 20 cute pictures. It's
> not my gig but I'm sure they could be framed and be cute in the right
> kitchen. I only looked at a few but kids might like them.

We had a stone soup thread a year or so ago. It was fun to see what people
threw into the pot.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:09:03 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>

>> Speaking of stone soup,,,,,anyone who likes the tale can to
>> alt.binaries.pictures.clip-art and get about 20 cute pictures.

>I'd like to get these pictures for my wife, who is doing stone soup with
>the kids at church in a month or so. I didn't see them on the group.
>Any hints as to subject or author?

They were smaller than I thought so I zipped them up and sent them to
you. Should be in your mailbox. Hope the kids like them.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:38:11 GMT, Yeff > wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:11:32 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>>>Just occurred to me I haven't posted anything OT in a month.

>> That's pretty cool. Did you have to attend meetings for that? Do you
>> get a coin like other 12 step programs?

>"Hi, my name is Jill and I'm a recovering off-topic poster."
>
> "Hi, Jill!"
>
>"It's been one month since I posted an off-topic comment to Usenet which,
>by-the-way, is taking entirely too much time away from my book-reading
>time. Speaking of books, has anyone read the new John Grisham yet? I
>haven't but since all of his books are about lawyers I seldom read them
>anyway. I used to date a lawyer. He was more interested in his firm than
>me so we broke up. I thought about starting a support group for people
>just getting out of a bad relationship but I didn't know where I could hold
>the meetings. Maybe the church? I'm really looking for a new church since
>the one I'm currently attending has too many busy-bodies in it. Nothing
>but gossiping and people asking you about your personal business. I hate
>gossips except for my mom; she always has the latest on my neighbors
>daughter. She told her parents she was raped and got pregnant but in
>reality she's just a slut. I hate sluts. When I was in high school..."

Now I need a new keyboard.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Sep 2006 20:12:20 -0700, "jill" > wrote:

>maybe not immediately apparent, but jill and Jill are indeed two
>separate people. Jill obviously did not post the original message, I
>did. I would not want for anyone to mistake me for Jill.
>jill

The only one who is confused is you.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:17:41 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>jill wrote:
>> maybe not immediately apparent, but jill and Jill are indeed two
>> separate people. Jill obviously did not post the original message, I
>> did. I would not want for anyone to mistake me for Jill.
>> jill
>>

>Ditto!
>
>Jill

There was never any doubt.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:20:37 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Thank you I hope that includes my trip reports since in those I get to
>eat what other people (okay, restaurants) cook and hopefully steer people
>who might visit those places to good places, rather than bad or mediocre

I read and enjoyed the trip posts very much.

>We had a stone soup thread a year or so ago. It was fun to see what people
>threw into the pot.

I remember it, and the others over the years.

Lou