Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tonight's Dinner

We are still working on Rosh Hashanah leftovers in this house...matzoh
ball soup and brisket, but even the yummiest of those dishes can get
boring after a few days. (I ALWAYS make too much food for the
holidays.)

Tonight I took the chicken that was used to make the soup and cut it
into small chunks and put it, along with the carrots, onion & celery
that were in the soup pot originally, and that I strain out for MB
soup, and but them back into the rich stock to give a little "oomph"
to it. Nice.

For a starter, I placed Boston lettuce on salad plates, peeled &
sliced bosc pears over the lettuce, sprinkled it with crumbled
gorgonzola, dressed it with a balsamic vinaigrette made with cracked
pepper mustard, and topped the salad with pecans that had been toasted
in a skillet with a bit of butter and a teaspoon of sugar to make them
caramelized & crunchy. Hot damn, that was good.

Back to brisket tomorrow.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote on 26 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Back to brisket tomorrow.
>
> Boron

Tonight it was meatloaf sandwiches with loads of coarse grainy mustard on
rye bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> Boron Elgar wrote on 26 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Back to brisket tomorrow.
> >
> > Boron
> >

> Tonight it was meatloaf sandwiches with loads of coarse grainy mustard on
> rye bread.

Black bean, rice and cheese quesadilla here. Hubby had egg, sausage, onion
and cheese sandwich. (Can you tell we're on a budget?)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> Back to brisket tomorrow.
>
> Boron

If you made any sauce or gravy on the brisket you can slice the meat up,
put it into the sauce and freeze it for another time. It could be the
basis of a very nice easy meal down the road when you're not so tired of it.

Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fish tacos: croaker that I caught and frozen last month, coated in
flour & cornmeal & lemono pepper and then pan-fried in butter; served
in steamed white corn tortillas with fresh guacamole, tomatoes,
cilantro, red onion, lettuce (no cabbage in the house) and drizzled
with spicy chipotle ranch dressing.

served with a dollop of garlicy black beans sprinkled with cotija and a
pile of brown rice.

watermelon served as fruit/dessert.

rum and diet black cherry coke with lime to drink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:59:24 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> Back to brisket tomorrow.
>>
>> Boron

>If you made any sauce or gravy on the brisket you can slice the meat up,
>put it into the sauce and freeze it for another time. It could be the
>basis of a very nice easy meal down the road when you're not so tired of it.
>
>Goomba

Already got the freezer goodies packed up.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Sep 2006 18:18:10 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:

>Fish tacos: croaker that I caught and frozen last month, coated in
>flour & cornmeal & lemono pepper and then pan-fried in butter; served
>in steamed white corn tortillas with fresh guacamole, tomatoes,
>cilantro, red onion, lettuce (no cabbage in the house) and drizzled
>with spicy chipotle ranch dressing.

We also ate fish tacos tonight. We make our sauce by mixing tartar
sauce with pickled jalapeno slices, including the picking liquid.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Fish tacos: croaker that I caught and frozen last month, coated in
> flour & cornmeal & lemono pepper and then pan-fried in butter; served
> in steamed white corn tortillas with fresh guacamole, tomatoes,
> cilantro, red onion, lettuce (no cabbage in the house) and drizzled
> with spicy chipotle ranch dressing.
>
> served with a dollop of garlicy black beans sprinkled with cotija and a
> pile of brown rice.
>
> watermelon served as fruit/dessert.
>
> rum and diet black cherry coke with lime to drink.

I should have gone over to your house for dinner!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> On 26 Sep 2006 18:18:10 -0700, "Jude" > wrote:
>
> >Fish tacos: croaker that I caught and frozen last month, coated in
> >flour & cornmeal & lemono pepper and then pan-fried in butter; served
> >in steamed white corn tortillas with fresh guacamole, tomatoes,
> >cilantro, red onion, lettuce (no cabbage in the house) and drizzled
> >with spicy chipotle ranch dressing.

> We also ate fish tacos tonight. We make our sauce by mixing tartar
> sauce with pickled jalapeno slices, including the picking liquid.
>
> Tara

Okay, I'd have gone over to your house for seconds. :-)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:51:56 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote on 26 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Back to brisket tomorrow.

You'd get no complaints from me! +

>Tonight it was meatloaf sandwiches with loads of coarse grainy mustard on
>rye bread.

We had the pot roast that Chris made famous. For tomorrow's dinner,
I'm cutting up the leftovers, mixing them with gravy, and calling it
stew. I know it's hash, not stew, but that won't stop me. Nosireebob!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
\

> For a starter, I placed Boston lettuce on salad plates, peeled &
> sliced bosc pears over the lettuce, sprinkled it with crumbled
> gorgonzola, dressed it with a balsamic vinaigrette made with cracked
> pepper mustard, and topped the salad with pecans that had been toasted
> in a skillet with a bit of butter and a teaspoon of sugar to make them
> caramelized & crunchy. Hot damn, that was good.
>
> Back to brisket tomorrow.
>
> Boron

Your salad sounds absolutely delicious.

Not brisket, but I made pot roast last week and we had the leftovers as
hash. Just meat, cubed potatoes, and lots of chopped onion, all sauteed
in a big skillet till the onion was tender and the potato beginning to
crisp. It was served with pickled beets and steamed broccoli.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> We are still working on Rosh Hashanah leftovers in this house...matzoh
> ball soup and brisket, but even the yummiest of those dishes can get
> boring after a few days. (I ALWAYS make too much food for the
> holidays.)

First of all, Happy New Year :-)

Tonight I made tofu enchiladas. I've never made enchiladas nor have I
ever eaten them. I found a recipe online and of course didn't follow
it exactly. They ended up tasting quite good. I know that most in
here aren't big tofu fans, but if anyone is interested, I'll look for
the recipe online again and post it. I really hate following recipes.
I wonder why???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:03:10 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Black bean, rice and cheese quesadilla here. Hubby had egg, sausage, onion
>and cheese sandwich. (Can you tell we're on a budget?)

Cheese is generally a luxury item for us. Your meals sound good
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I fixed a big pot of ham, bacon, and sausage jambalaya. Woohoo!

I make an awesome jambo...

~Eri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 02:09:40 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>\
>>
>> For a starter, I placed Boston lettuce on salad plates, peeled &
>> sliced bosc pears over the lettuce, sprinkled it with crumbled
>> gorgonzola, dressed it with a balsamic vinaigrette made with cracked
>> pepper mustard, and topped the salad with pecans that had been toasted
>> in a skillet with a bit of butter and a teaspoon of sugar to make them
>> caramelized & crunchy. Hot damn, that was good.
>>
>> Back to brisket tomorrow.
>>
>> Boron

>Your salad sounds absolutely delicious.
>
>Not brisket, but I made pot roast last week and we had the leftovers as
>hash. Just meat, cubed potatoes, and lots of chopped onion, all sauteed
>in a big skillet till the onion was tender and the potato beginning to
>crisp. It was served with pickled beets and steamed broccoli.
>
>gloria p

Mmmmm.pickled beets....I love them. We need to start a fan club, you
know. We are a rare breed around here.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Sep 2006 19:38:04 -0700, "tofuqueen" > wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> We are still working on Rosh Hashanah leftovers in this house...matzoh
>> ball soup and brisket, but even the yummiest of those dishes can get
>> boring after a few days. (I ALWAYS make too much food for the
>> holidays.)

>First of all, Happy New Year :-)

Thanks you so much. And the same to you and yours.

>Tonight I made tofu enchiladas. I've never made enchiladas nor have I
>ever eaten them. I found a recipe online and of course didn't follow
>it exactly. They ended up tasting quite good. I know that most in
>here aren't big tofu fans, but if anyone is interested, I'll look for
>the recipe online again and post it. I really hate following recipes.
>I wonder why???

I like tofu quite a bit, though I don't think I'd make enchiladas. I'd
be interested in other tofu recipes,though.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> Mmmmm.pickled beets....I love them. We need to start a fan club, you
> know. We are a rare breed around here.
>
> Boron

Will you make Barbara an honorary member?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tomorrow, when you go back to your brisket, why not consider changing it
into MEXICAN FOOD?
chop it up, add the spices and some salsa, and away you go!

--
anger? or outrage over the direction the USA has taken under bush!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYNI5RPOlp4

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> We are still working on Rosh Hashanah leftovers in this house...matzoh
> ball soup and brisket, but even the yummiest of those dishes can get
> boring after a few days. (I ALWAYS make too much food for the
> holidays.)
>
> Tonight I took the chicken that was used to make the soup and cut it
> into small chunks and put it, along with the carrots, onion & celery
> that were in the soup pot originally, and that I strain out for MB
> soup, and but them back into the rich stock to give a little "oomph"
> to it. Nice.
>
> For a starter, I placed Boston lettuce on salad plates, peeled &
> sliced bosc pears over the lettuce, sprinkled it with crumbled
> gorgonzola, dressed it with a balsamic vinaigrette made with cracked
> pepper mustard, and topped the salad with pecans that had been toasted
> in a skillet with a bit of butter and a teaspoon of sugar to make them
> caramelized & crunchy. Hot damn, that was good.
>
> Back to brisket tomorrow.
>
> Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 02:09:40 GMT, Puester >
> wrote:

It was served with pickled beets and steamed broccoli.

>> gloria p

> Mmmmm.pickled beets....I love them. We need to start a fan club, you
> know. We are a rare breed around here.
>
> Boron

Nah, I bet there are a lot more of us, folk who just aren't brave enough
to challenge Ma Schaller's opinion.

;-)
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Boron Elgar wrote:
>

>> Mmmmm.pickled beets....I love them. We need to start a fan club, you
>> know. We are a rare breed around here.
>>
>> Boron

> Will you make Barbara an honorary member?

Sure, but she'll have to promise not to say "boiled dirt chunks" during
the meetings.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:26:55 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>

>> Mmmmm.pickled beets....I love them. We need to start a fan club, you
>> know. We are a rare breed around here.
>>
>> Boron

>Will you make Barbara an honorary member?

I am trying to get a nice string of beets gilded and made into a crown
for her. Of course, I needn't use actual beets for Barb, just dirt
balls.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> Margaret Suran wrote:

> >> Mmmmm.pickled beets....I love them. We need to start a fan club, you
> >> know. We are a rare breed around here.
> >>
> >> Boron

> > Will you make Barbara an honorary member?

> Sure, but she'll have to promise not to say "boiled dirt chunks" during
> the meetings.
>
> gloria p

For you, Dear Friend, anything! I CAN mind my manners when I'm out and
about. It's just that I usually choose to let my truer self be seen.
What you see is what you get. and there's more to get than what you see.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 02:09:40 GMT, Puester >
> wrote:
>
> >Boron Elgar wrote:
> >\
> >>
> >> For a starter, I placed Boston lettuce on salad plates, peeled &
> >> sliced bosc pears over the lettuce, sprinkled it with crumbled
> >> gorgonzola, dressed it with a balsamic vinaigrette made with cracked
> >> pepper mustard, and topped the salad with pecans that had been toasted
> >> in a skillet with a bit of butter and a teaspoon of sugar to make them
> >> caramelized & crunchy. Hot damn, that was good.
> >>
> >> Back to brisket tomorrow.
> >>
> >> Boron

> >Your salad sounds absolutely delicious.
> >
> >Not brisket, but I made pot roast last week and we had the leftovers as
> >hash. Just meat, cubed potatoes, and lots of chopped onion, all sauteed
> >in a big skillet till the onion was tender and the potato beginning to
> >crisp. It was served with pickled beets and steamed broccoli.
> >
> >gloria p

> Mmmmm.pickled beets....I love them. We need to start a fan club, you
> know. We are a rare breed around here.
>
> Boron

And for the theme song ....."And the Beet Goes On" (saw this as a title for
a section on beets in a cookbook I recently bought). Maybe next June we
could all send this to Barb instead of Happy Birthday on her ecards?
(snicker)
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:26:55 GMT, Margaret Suran
> > wrote:
>

> >Boron Elgar wrote:
> >

> >> Mmmmm.pickled beets....I love them. We need to start a fan club, you
> >> know. We are a rare breed around here.
> >>
> >> Boron

> >Will you make Barbara an honorary member?

> I am trying to get a nice string of beets gilded and made into a crown
> for her. Of course, I needn't use actual beets for Barb, just dirt
> balls.
>
> Boron

Oh, oh, oh! We could always tie-dye a t-shirt in beet juice for her!!!!!!!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 01:53:30 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>> We also ate fish tacos tonight. We make our sauce by mixing tartar
>> sauce with pickled jalapeno slices, including the picking liquid.

>Okay, I'd have gone over to your house for seconds. :-)

Come over tonight! We're having fish tacos again.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:05:05 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>Mmmmm.pickled beets....I love them. We need to start a fan club, you
>know. We are a rare breed around here.

I do love beets. Does this make three of us? I like roasted beets
and pickled beets.

Tara