Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Default Gawd... Musings

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I was just thinking about my culinary background (Steven has the rump roast
> in the oven at 250 degrees). There isn't one. When growing up we had a
> nanny that brought mac 'n cheese to new heights of culinary delight.
> Mother could not, still can not, cook. With her it was either deli or
> dinner out. Mom's best dish is chicken and noodles and damned they are
> good. When I got to college the cafeteria was a gold mine. I discovered
> balsamic vinegar there. I learned to cook all by myself. I'm not
> complaining and Kraft mac 'n cheese still has a place in my heart.
>
> I will say this. Life at home showed me how to dine out in style. I could
> not cook worth a damned but knew how to tip
>
> Michael

Ya know, my Mom was an incredible cook and baker albeit not really
"gourmet" in her approach. I learned at her knee and improved upon what
she taught me, for most dishes (still can't make her turkey dressing
though...) But Julia Child did more for me in terms of sparking my
interest in the rare and unusual. I remember watching her on PBS as
young as about age 10.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 20 Sep 2006 01:19:43p, -L. meant to say...

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>> I was just thinking about my culinary background (Steven has the rump
>> roast in the oven at 250 degrees). There isn't one. When growing up
>> we had a nanny that brought mac 'n cheese to new heights of culinary
>> delight. Mother could not, still can not, cook. With her it was either
>> deli or dinner out. Mom's best dish is chicken and noodles and damned
>> they are good. When I got to college the cafeteria was a gold mine. I
>> discovered balsamic vinegar there. I learned to cook all by myself.
>> I'm not complaining and Kraft mac 'n cheese still has a place in my
>> heart.
>>
>> I will say this. Life at home showed me how to dine out in style. I
>> could not cook worth a damned but knew how to tip
>>
>> Michael

> Ya know, my Mom was an incredible cook and baker albeit not really
> "gourmet" in her approach. I learned at her knee and improved upon what
> she taught me, for most dishes (still can't make her turkey dressing
> though...) But Julia Child did more for me in terms of sparking my
> interest in the rare and unusual. I remember watching her on PBS as
> young as about age 10.
>
> -L.

My mother quite literally couldn't boil water when she married. She and
her sisters were not allowed in the kitchen when they were growing up.
Only my grandmother and the cook. My dad taoght my mother the basics and
then she went to cooking school. She had become an accomplished cook and
baker by the time I was born 8 years later. As you said, Lyn, I learned at
her knee and improved upon what she taught me. I never watched a cooking
show as religiously as I did Julia Child's. Most of the crap that's on now
isn't worth a glance. In the 1970s I took some classes at the Culinary
Arts Institute in Chicago, but mostly I've learned on my own.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "-L." >
> oups.com:
>

>>> Michael

>> Ya know, my Mom was an incredible cook and baker albeit not really
>> "gourmet" in her approach. I learned at her knee and improved upon
>> what she taught me, for most dishes (still can't make her turkey
>> dressing though...) But Julia Child did more for me in terms of
>> sparking my interest in the rare and unusual. I remember watching her
>> on PBS as young as about age 10.
>>
>> -L.

> Julia Child was my mentor. I adored her.
>
> Michael

Do you do any gardening? I don't mean buying a few plants and sticking them
in pots each Spring. I mean long term stuff - picking plants that you think
will look good 3 years from now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:36:53 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>"-L." >
roups.com:

But Julia Child did more for me in terms of
>> sparking my interest in the rare and unusual. I remember watching her
>> on PBS as young as about age 10.
>>
>> -L.

>Julia Child was my mentor. I adored her.
>
>Michael

She and St Jacques are the ones I love.... And Lidia.....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> My mother quite literally couldn't boil water when she married. She and
> her sisters were not allowed in the kitchen when they were growing up.
> Only my grandmother and the cook. My dad taoght my mother the basics and
> then she went to cooking school. She had become an accomplished cook and
> baker by the time I was born 8 years later. As you said, Lyn, I learned at
> her knee and improved upon what she taught me. I never watched a cooking
> show as religiously as I did Julia Child's. Most of the crap that's on now
> isn't worth a glance. In the 1970s I took some classes at the Culinary
> Arts Institute in Chicago, but mostly I've learned on my own.

I have four friends who have graduated from the CIA in Chicago. Had I
thought about it a little more seriously when I was younger, I probably
would have gone there as well.

-L.

Gawd... Musings Andy General Cooking 1 21-09-2006 05:50 PM
Gawd... Musings JoeSpareBedroom General Cooking 1 21-09-2006 01:51 AM
Gawd... Musings aem General Cooking 1 20-09-2006 09:13 PM
Gawd... Musings merryb General Cooking 0 20-09-2006 07:05 PM
Oh Gawd sf General Cooking 1 21-12-2005 08:13 PM