Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default WWT: It WAS a Weekend With Tammy! - Días Uno y Dos (Long - aren't all the reports?) -

Been a busy 3-4 weeks en mi casa. Fair prep, Fair stuff, Firstborn
home, Favorite daughter and fam here for 1-4 nights, Fair visits.
Chris went home on 8/31 and Tammasita arrived on September 1. She was
going to return on the fourth but I convinced her to stay until the
fifth and THAT wasn't long enough. She's invited back. She was really
easy to have around. She had her own computer and didn't need to use
mine.

Her plane arrived on time and I met her at the baggage area wearing a
pickle hat and carrying 3 helium balloons. She didn't notice the
balloons. Imagine that. I am 14 miles and 14 minutes from the airport.
I checked.

We picked up Rob at home and went to Cam Ranh Bay for supper. I had the
seafood soup, Rob had the regular pho, and we think Tammy had the hot
and spicy chicken. And it was Good.

We stopped at the liquor store next door to CRB for beer. And it was
Better.

On Saturday, the morning was rainy, if I remember right. I had to do
another media appearance (Chowhounds (Andrew Zimmern), KTLK, 100.3 in
the Twin Cities) between 10-12 noon so we waited for the rain to let up,
grabbed the 10:00 a.m. bus to the Fairgrounds. I bought an order of
Veggie Fries to sustain me as we hoofed to the Creative Activities
building, did a quick tour through the various foodstuff exhibits (ahem)
and had a gander at the other crafts, including the amazing Sock Monkey
dress; then moved to the Gedney booth to get some jars of my products
to hand out to a couple lucky listeners and commenced to locating the
studio. It was on Machinery Hill about four blocks from where we were.
I wore my Gedney shirt and after about 5 minutes of brisk walking I was
wishing I'd have dressed lighter. Tammy had a Pronto Pup. She doesn't
eat much.

We found our way to the KTLK Radio booth and I spent about 10 minutes
with Chef Andrew Zimmern talking about being le grand fromage of canning
at this year's Fair. Andrew's a nice chap and we got to talk about more
than "How did you start canning?" Leaving Machinery Hill for our car we
looked out onto the expanse of pulsing humanity; I think attendance that
was 40 million. Get me outta there! I had intended on a bucket of
Sweet Martha's chocolate chip cookies but just wanted to get the hell
out of there. Sorry, Martha.

Bussed home, rested for an hour, then I began the Schaller Tour
Company's Twin Cities for Itinerant Net Friends. North on Cedar Avenue
past the Mall of America (12 miles from where I live) to Franklin
Avenue. West on Franklin a few blocks to the Northland Native American
store where we stocked up on lake-grown, hand-harvested and -winnowed
wild rice * "the good stuff." I wanted mine for the wild rice salad I
was bringing to June Oshiro and husband Matt's home on Sunday for our
cook-in/potluck/party. Eight dollars per pound, $14 for two pounds.

We stopped at the Franklin Avenue Bakery (I think that's what it's
called) on the corner of Franklin and maybe 12th. It was almost
discount hour. But not quite. I bought a loaf of bread that was laced
with cherries and wild rice. Tasty. And an almond croissant. Tastier.
And an obscenely delicious chocolate cupcake that was most definitely
NOT made from a Betty Crocker mix. And three plain croissants.

Then we went over to Chicago Ave north to 7th and went across the
Nicollet Mall. Drat!! We missed the Mary Richards throwing her hat
into the air statue! We were going to toss our pickle hats! Nicollet
north to Washington and over to Hennepin across the Hennepin Avenue
bridge that puts you into old northeast/southeast Minneapolis. We
pulled into Kramarczuk's parking lot and went into the shop. I did a
double triple take because, Saints Preserve Us!, they have remodeled the
place since Easter when I was last there. Tammy will confirm that I
walked back outside the store to check the signage because it looks just
that different and I really wasn't sure I was in the right place. I had
a nice long talk with Mike (the manager if not the owner - gotta be a
relative of old Oreste, though) about the remodel and he was pleased
that I was pleased. I heard some of the inside details. Long may they
prosper!

At Kramarczuk's I bought some wieners, some krakowska (not far off
Canadian bacon in terms of lean-ness, though more spiced), some kolbasa,
some chicken-basil-sun dried tomato sausages (for June's), and a
poppyseed roll (also to take to June's on Sunday). I know I bought
something else because I think it cost me about $41 to get out the door.

Continued on half a block to University Avenue and drove into Dinkytown
(retail area near the campus) and showed Tammy where Al's is. We did
not eat at Al's. Next time. Drove through the campus and down to the
River Road that follows the Mighty Mississippi there. Past the heart
hospital and Ronald McDonald house.

Headed to I-94 westbound to 35W south to 46th Street where we exited and
drove around Lake Harriet. I believe Tammasita was sort of impressed
with the fact that Minneapolis has several lakes, publicly accessible
and welcoming, with the city boundaries. She was interested in the
architecture. Nice houses. We used to live about 4 blocks from the
lake as renters forty years ago.

Back home.

I prepared Polish (from Kramarczuk's) with a jar of Frank's sauerkraut,
and whipped up some halushky on the fly. Tammy was good. She sat
nicely on the chair and looked pretty, just as I asked her to. I don't
do so good with people trying to mess in my kitchen while I'm messing in
my kitchen. I'm not that neat and tidy. Tammy guzzled Miller Lite and
didn't seem to mind.

Dinner was pretty tasty, if I do say. Humble. Not pretentious. That
wouldn't be very Minnesotan, now, would it.

I've some pictures on my website (below, the first one)

Here Ends the First Part.
The Second Part will be along soon, I hope.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> We picked up Rob at home and went to Cam Ranh Bay for supper.

Matt and I have driven by that place many times but have not gone in.
But with your recommendation, we'll definitely check it out!

> was 40 million. Get me outta there! I had intended on a bucket of
> Sweet Martha's chocolate chip cookies but just wanted to get the hell
> out of there. Sorry, Martha.

I haven't tried those cookies yet. Someone told Matt to buy a bucket of
cookies and then spend some time at the all-you-can-drink milk bar
snarfing cookies and milk.

> I don't
> do so good with people trying to mess in my kitchen while I'm messing in
> my kitchen.

Heh. But that's what makes it fun! I had a friend organize my freezer
once, when I wasn't looking. That was less fun - couldn't find a damn
thing in there for about a week. ("Glynis! Where are my frozen peas?!")

> Here Ends the First Part.
> The Second Part will be along soon, I hope.

Was it over a week ago already...?!

-j.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Sep 2006 10:45:48 -0700, " >
wrote:

>I haven't tried those cookies yet. Someone told Matt to buy a bucket of
>cookies and then spend some time at the all-you-can-drink milk bar
>snarfing cookies and milk.

There's really such a thing? Hopefully they screen for lactose
intolerance. LOL

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On 11 Sep 2006 10:45:48 -0700, " >
> wrote:>
>
> >I haven't tried those cookies yet. Someone told Matt to buy a bucket of
> >cookies and then spend some time at the all-you-can-drink milk bar
> >snarfing cookies and milk.

> There's really such a thing? Hopefully they screen for lactose
> intolerance. LOL

Ha! Hopefully you know before you go in... I think it's $1 for the
milk. I'd guess few people would drink more than 2 servings.

I heard a professor talk about lactose intolerance (and bean sugar
indigestibility), and he concluded, "It's not a social problem!"

Uh, but sir, sometimes it is...

-j.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Sep 2006 11:31:14 -0700, " >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On 11 Sep 2006 10:45:48 -0700, " >
>> wrote:>
>>
>> >I haven't tried those cookies yet. Someone told Matt to buy a bucket of
>> >cookies and then spend some time at the all-you-can-drink milk bar
>> >snarfing cookies and milk.

>> There's really such a thing? Hopefully they screen for lactose
>> intolerance. LOL

>Ha! Hopefully you know before you go in... I think it's $1 for the
>milk. I'd guess few people would drink more than 2 servings.
>
>I heard a professor talk about lactose intolerance (and bean sugar
>indigestibility), and he concluded, "It's not a social problem!"
>
>Uh, but sir, sometimes it is...
>
>-j.

I love milk. When I was a kid not knowing what lactose intolerance
was I drank a couple gallons a week. Now I drink heavy cream in my
coffee and that's about it. I justify the cream as that's the only
dairy I have. It's something about the flavor. I don't like milk or
even light cream in my coffee.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > We picked up Rob at home and went to Cam Ranh Bay for supper.

> Matt and I have driven by that place many times but have not gone in.
> But with your recommendation, we'll definitely check it out!
>
> -j.

The egg rolls are great as is the hot & spicy chicken. Number 4 on the
heat scale is plenty for me. Rob likes the stir-fried s&s pork. Jamie
has the S&S chicken without any vegetables. <sigh> Batter-fried
chicken and sauce. Gotta smack that boy.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:27:56 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article . com>,
> " > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> > We picked up Rob at home and went to Cam Ranh Bay for supper.

>> Matt and I have driven by that place many times but have not gone in.
>> But with your recommendation, we'll definitely check it out!
>>
>> -j.

>The egg rolls are great as is the hot & spicy chicken. Number 4 on the
>heat scale is plenty for me. Rob likes the stir-fried s&s pork. Jamie
>has the S&S chicken without any vegetables. <sigh> Batter-fried
>chicken and sauce. Gotta smack that boy.

Not to put too fine a point on it. <ahem> I had the pork, not the
chicken. I <heart> pig parts!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default all-you-can-drink milk bar?

joshiro wrote about the all-you-can-drink milk bar:

> Ha! Hopefully you know before you go in... I think it's $1 for the
> milk. I'd guess few people would drink more than 2 servings.

I guess it depends on how much milk is in a "serving." I drink lots of milk.
I used to drink a quart of milk with lunch every day. With a bucket of
chocolate chip cookies, I'd probably drink somewhere between a
quart-and-a-half to two quarts.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> joshiro wrote about the all-you-can-drink milk bar:
>
> > Ha! Hopefully you know before you go in... I think it's $1 for the
> > milk. I'd guess few people would drink more than 2 servings.

> I guess it depends on how much milk is in a "serving." I drink lots of milk.
> I used to drink a quart of milk with lunch every day. With a bucket of
> chocolate chip cookies, I'd probably drink somewhere between a
> quart-and-a-half to two quarts.

It may have been common on every campus, but during the mid to late
sixties, our Dining Commons served all you could drink milk with every
meal. You walked up to a milk bar and depressed the gizmo. There was
another all you could drink gizmo next to it, but I forget what it was.
I'd guess I drank two to three large glasses at every meal. My
consumption wasn't unusual. The meal cost. The milk was free in a naive
sense. I could have had a gallon or two a meal at no extra cost. I still
marvel at that.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell said...

> It may have been common on every campus, but during the mid to late
> sixties, our Dining Commons served all you could drink milk with every
> meal. You walked up to a milk bar and depressed the gizmo. There was
> another all you could drink gizmo next to it, but I forget what it was.
> I'd guess I drank two to three large glasses at every meal. My
> consumption wasn't unusual. The meal cost. The milk was free in a naive
> sense. I could have had a gallon or two a meal at no extra cost. I

still
> marvel at that.
>
> leo

We had all you could eat AND drink. We paid a fixed rate per trimester.

I remember the milk dispensers with the "slot machine arm" to dispense
milk. We had plain and chocolate milks.

Amdu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> joshiro wrote about the all-you-can-drink milk bar:
>
> > Ha! Hopefully you know before you go in... I think it's $1 for the
> > milk. I'd guess few people would drink more than 2 servings.

> I guess it depends on how much milk is in a "serving." I drink lots of milk.
> I used to drink a quart of milk with lunch every day. With a bucket of
> chocolate chip cookies, I'd probably drink somewhere between a
> quart-and-a-half to two quarts.
>
> Bob

I think they pour a 6-8 ounce cup.
Back when, it used to be all you could drink for a nickel. JAYzuzz, am
I THAT old?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Leaving Machinery Hill for our car we
> looked out onto the expanse of pulsing humanity; I think attendance that
> was 40 million. Get me outta there! I had intended on a bucket of
> Sweet Martha's chocolate chip cookies but just wanted to get the hell
> out of there. Sorry, Martha.

Good news for you! From http://sweetmarthas.com:

SWEET MARTHA'S COOKIE DOUGH:
Only available in your local Twin Cities
grocers frozen food section! For more
information, please email us at
!

sd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sd" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> Leaving Machinery Hill for our car we
>> looked out onto the expanse of pulsing humanity; I think attendance
>> that
>> was 40 million. Get me outta there! I had intended on a bucket of
>> Sweet Martha's chocolate chip cookies but just wanted to get the hell
>> out of there. Sorry, Martha.

> Good news for you! From http://sweetmarthas.com:
>
> SWEET MARTHA'S COOKIE DOUGH:
> Only available in your local Twin Cities
> grocers frozen food section! For more
> information, please email us at
> !
>
> sd

Liars Liars. They have it in Rochester also.