Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Certo Liquid Pectin

Liquid Certo is very expensive here in Eastern Ontario. About $4.00 for
two pouches containing 170 ml. The label says "Liquid Pectin Made From
Natural Fruit Peel". The ingredients are Water, Pectin, Lactic Acid,Citric
Acid, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Benzozte (K00678). Compare this to the
regular pectin powder at $1.00/box and the liquid stuff seems a bit
overpriced. Why can't I use powdered pectin instead? The recipe specifically
calls for liquid pectin. I am tempted to try. I make a Jalapeno Jelly to die
for. Here is the recipe. Perhaps there is someone out there willing to try
powdered pectin. I won't try anything but the liquid variety as I only have
a limited supply of ingredients. I have had a semi inebriated guest eat the
jelly straight from the jar. Fabulous with crackers and cheese.

1/3 cup ground jalapeno peppers (I use red ripe peppers)
1 1/2 cups red or green sweet bell peppers
6 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups white vinegar.
6 oz liquid certo (my wallet coughed)

Grind peppers. Put all ingredients except Certo in a heavy pot. Boil for 3
minutes. Add Certo and boil 1 minute. Let stand 5 minutes. Seal in
sterilized jars.

F.J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

fudge wrote:
> Liquid Certo is very expensive here in Eastern Ontario. About $4.00 for
> two pouches containing 170 ml. The label says "Liquid Pectin Made From
> Natural Fruit Peel". The ingredients are Water, Pectin, Lactic Acid,Citric
> Acid, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Benzozte (K00678). Compare this to the
> regular pectin powder at $1.00/box and the liquid stuff seems a bit
> overpriced. Why can't I use powdered pectin instead? The recipe specifically
> calls for liquid pectin. I am tempted to try. I make a Jalapeno Jelly to die
> for. Here is the recipe. Perhaps there is someone out there willing to try
> powdered pectin. I won't try anything but the liquid variety as I only have
> a limited supply of ingredients. I have had a semi inebriated guest eat the
> jelly straight from the jar. Fabulous with crackers and cheese.
>
> 1/3 cup ground jalapeno peppers (I use red ripe peppers)
> 1 1/2 cups red or green sweet bell peppers
> 6 1/2 cups sugar
> 1 1/2 cups white vinegar.
> 6 oz liquid certo (my wallet coughed)
>

> Grind peppers. Put all ingredients except Certo in a heavy pot. Boil for 3
> minutes. Add Certo and boil 1 minute. Let stand 5 minutes. Seal in
> sterilized jars.
>
> F.J.

Apple peels, and lemon, orange and apple seeds all have pectin
naturally. Tie them up in some cheesecloth and toss them in to cook and
remove after. Many times, you don't need it if you cook a little
longer. Just test every so often until you reach the desired consistency

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"fudge" > wrote in message
> Liquid Certo is very expensive here in Eastern Ontario. About $4.00 for
> two pouches containing 170 ml. The label says "Liquid Pectin Made From
> Natural Fruit Peel". The ingredients are Water, Pectin, Lactic Acid,Citric
> Acid, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Benzozte (K00678). Compare this to the
> regular pectin powder at $1.00/box and the liquid stuff seems a bit
> overpriced. Why can't I use powdered pectin instead? The recipe
> specifically calls for liquid pectin. I am tempted to try. I make a
> Jalapeno Jelly to die for. Here is the recipe. Perhaps there is someone
> out there willing to try powdered pectin. I won't try anything but the
> liquid variety as I only have a limited supply of ingredients. I have had
> a semi inebriated guest eat the jelly straight from the jar. Fabulous with
> crackers and cheese.
>
> 1/3 cup ground jalapeno peppers (I use red ripe peppers)
> 1 1/2 cups red or green sweet bell peppers
> 6 1/2 cups sugar
> 1 1/2 cups white vinegar.
> 6 oz liquid certo (my wallet coughed)
>

> Grind peppers. Put all ingredients except Certo in a heavy pot. Boil for 3
> minutes. Add Certo and boil 1 minute. Let stand 5 minutes. Seal in
> sterilized jars.
>
> F.J.

I've converted many liquid pectin recipes to powdered pectin recipes. Use
the ingredient list for the liquid pectin but follow the powdered pectin
method. Pectin is pectin, only the method differs.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"fudge" > wrote:

> Liquid Certo is very expensive here in Eastern Ontario. About $4.00 for
> two pouches containing 170 ml. The label says "Liquid Pectin Made From
> Natural Fruit Peel". The ingredients are Water, Pectin, Lactic Acid,Citric
> Acid, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Benzozte (K00678). Compare this to the
> regular pectin powder at $1.00/box and the liquid stuff seems a bit
> overpriced. Why can't I use powdered pectin instead? The recipe specifically
> calls for liquid pectin. I am tempted to try. I make a Jalapeno Jelly to die
> for. Here is the recipe. Perhaps there is someone out there willing to try
> powdered pectin. I won't try anything but the liquid variety as I only have
> a limited supply of ingredients. I have had a semi inebriated guest eat the
> jelly straight from the jar. Fabulous with crackers and cheese.
>
> 1/3 cup ground jalapeno peppers (I use red ripe peppers)
> 1 1/2 cups red or green sweet bell peppers
> 6 1/2 cups sugar
> 1 1/2 cups white vinegar.
> 6 oz liquid certo (my wallet coughed)
>

> Grind peppers. Put all ingredients except Certo in a heavy pot. Boil for 3
> minutes. Add Certo and boil 1 minute. Let stand 5 minutes. Seal in
> sterilized jars.
>
> F.J.

Find a pepper jelly recipe that uses powdered pectin. Arrange the
pepper ratios (?) any way you want to. Or use other peppers besides the
jalapeños if you like heat.

You'll see that you're not to swap out powder for liquid at will and
with the same measures. They're formulated differently and you ought
use the type of pectin the recipe calls for. Find another recipe.
There are a zillion of them. BTW, the Certo liquid is more than
$3.50/box here. Your $4 sounds okay to me.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:42:11 -0400, "fudge" >
wrote:

> Liquid Certo is very expensive here in Eastern Ontario.

For a lot of jams and jellies, I've found that I can cut down the
amount of liquid Certo by 50%. You might be able to cut it down even
more - I haven't tried.

The recipe I currently am using for pepper jelly is "Chardonnay Hot
Pepper Jelly", in which you replace the vinegar with Chardonnay. It's
a lot smoother than the regular pepper jelly.

Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jo Anne Slaven > wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:42:11 -0400, "fudge" >
> wrote:
>
> > Liquid Certo is very expensive here in Eastern Ontario.

> For a lot of jams and jellies, I've found that I can cut down the
> amount of liquid Certo by 50%. You might be able to cut it down even
> more - I haven't tried.
>
> The recipe I currently am using for pepper jelly is "Chardonnay Hot
> Pepper Jelly", in which you replace the vinegar with Chardonnay. It's
> a lot smoother than the regular pepper jelly.
>
> Jo Anne

That's interesting because liquid pectin is supposed to produce a softer
set than powder. Huh.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Jo Anne Slaven > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:42:11 -0400, "fudge" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Liquid Certo is very expensive here in Eastern Ontario.

> > For a lot of jams and jellies, I've found that I can cut down the
> > amount of liquid Certo by 50%. You might be able to cut it down even
> > more - I haven't tried.
> >
> > The recipe I currently am using for pepper jelly is "Chardonnay Hot
> > Pepper Jelly", in which you replace the vinegar with Chardonnay. It's
> > a lot smoother than the regular pepper jelly.
> >
> > Jo Anne

> That's interesting because liquid pectin is supposed to produce a softer
> set than powder. Huh.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

Which might explain why my Mom's grape jelly sets up like gelatin. But
she swears by Certo. If we have enough grapes this year (there's a
good crop, but one of the neighbors has been promised some), I'll make
a batch with both Certo and powder, and see if there is any difference.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Sep 2006 17:40:20 -0700, "maxine in ri" >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Jo Anne Slaven > wrote:

>> > For a lot of jams and jellies, I've found that I can cut down the
>> > amount of liquid Certo by 50%. You might be able to cut it down even
>> > more - I haven't tried.
>> >
>> > The recipe I currently am using for pepper jelly is "Chardonnay Hot
>> > Pepper Jelly", in which you replace the vinegar with Chardonnay. It's
>> > a lot smoother than the regular pepper jelly.
>> >
>> > Jo Anne

>> That's interesting because liquid pectin is supposed to produce a softer
>> set than powder. Huh.
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
>> http://jamlady.eboard.com

>Which might explain why my Mom's grape jelly sets up like gelatin. But
>she swears by Certo. If we have enough grapes this year (there's a
>good crop, but one of the neighbors has been promised some), I'll make
>a batch with both Certo and powder, and see if there is any difference.
>
>maxine in ri

I just ran the test. I made 3 batches of Concord grape jelly, all
from the same juice. The Ball Liquid and Certo pectins were softer
and smooth when put on toast. They do hold their shape. The batch
made with the Ball Powdered pectin was firmer and not as smooth when
spread on toast. The taste was the same in each. Maybe I will test
the two powdered pectins if my grapes produce enough this year.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> > The recipe I currently am using for pepper jelly is "Chardonnay Hot
>> > Pepper Jelly", in which you replace the vinegar with Chardonnay. It's
>> > a lot smoother than the regular pepper jelly.
>> >
>> > Jo Anne

fj) I am tempted to try this but 6 1/2 cups of wine is a lot and the sugar
acid balance could be out of whack. I have a bottle of Banrock Station
unoaked chardonnay from Australia that is undrinkable. Are you shure about
using that much white wine in my recipe? Perhaps you could post your recipe.

F.J.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:10:28 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
<snip>
> BTW, the Certo liquid is more than
>$3.50/box here. Your $4 sounds okay to me.

$4.59 here. Just checked yesterday.

TammyM, bought Surejell instead

Old Certo crystals and liquid Roy[_4_] General Cooking 0 18-02-2016 08:49 PM
Certo or Sure-Jell? [email protected] General Cooking 6 19-09-2015 07:29 AM
Old liquid pectin zxcvbob Preserving 6 06-09-2011 08:41 PM
pectin - Certo Tarpon General Cooking 6 18-09-2008 03:21 PM
Spot Quiz: Pectin Subs, Powdered <=> Liquid Brian Mailman Preserving 2 30-10-2003 03:52 AM