Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Burnt food smell in Microwave

How can I get rid of a strong burnt food in my microwave. I tried
cleaning with vinegar, but that didn't help at all.
Looking forward to your advice
TIA
__
Dusty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:35:34 GMT, dusty wrote:

>How can I get rid of a strong burnt food in my microwave. I tried
>cleaning with vinegar, but that didn't help at all.
>Looking forward to your advice

You can fill a bowl with water and a big dose of lemon juice. Place
the bowl in the microwave and set it so the water will boil and steam
for several minutes. Let the oven cool a bit and then leave it open
overnight.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:35:34 GMT, dusty wrote:
>
> >How can I get rid of a strong burnt food in my microwave. I tried
> >cleaning with vinegar, but that didn't help at all.
> >Looking forward to your advice

> You can fill a bowl with water and a big dose of lemon juice. Place
> the bowl in the microwave and set it so the water will boil and steam
> for several minutes. Let the oven cool a bit and then leave it open
> overnight.
>
> Tara

--------------
I had great success with wet coffee grounds (I just lifted a used
filter out of my coffee-maker.) Overnight (or all day) and the odor was
completely gone. I have also used this method on a shelf in my storage
closet. (ironically, the thing that had spilled was a can of Ozium air
spray (a wonderful product, when used a little at a time) . This was an
extra large can that tipped over and the spray opening fell off, and it
all leaked out. Success there, too. Good luck.
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dusty wrote:
> How can I get rid of a strong burnt food in my microwave. I tried
> cleaning with vinegar, but that didn't help at all.
> Looking forward to your advice
> TIA
> __
> Dusty

Vanilla!
a few drops of vanilla essence on a dampened cloth works wonders.

here in Oz supermarkets stock "vanilla fridge wipe" sold in squirt
bottle for cleaning fridges & de-odourizing them. Works brilliantly in
microwaves as well.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 22:00:01 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:35:34 GMT, dusty wrote:
>
>>How can I get rid of a strong burnt food in my microwave. I tried
>>cleaning with vinegar, but that didn't help at all.
>>Looking forward to your advice

>You can fill a bowl with water and a big dose of lemon juice. Place
>the bowl in the microwave and set it so the water will boil and steam
>for several minutes. Let the oven cool a bit and then leave it open
>overnight.
>
>Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Sep 2006 16:39:23 -0700, "nancree" > wrote:

>I had great success with wet coffee grounds (I just lifted a used
>filter out of my coffee-maker.) Overnight (or all day) and the odor was
>completely gone. I have also used this method on a shelf in my storage
>closet. (ironically, the thing that had spilled was a can of Ozium air
>spray (a wonderful product, when used a little at a time) . This was an
>extra large can that tipped over and the spray opening fell off, and it
>all leaked out. Success there, too. Good luck.
>Nancree

Coffee grounds!! Never would have thought of that in a million years.
Thanks for the tip.
--
Dusty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2 Sep 2006 16:50:29 -0700, "LadyJane" >
wrote:

>Vanilla!
>a few drops of vanilla essence on a dampened cloth works wonders.
>
>here in Oz supermarkets stock "vanilla fridge wipe" sold in squirt
>bottle for cleaning fridges & de-odourizing them. Works brilliantly in
>microwaves as well.
>
>LadyJane

I haven't seen the vanilla fridge wipe product. but I do have pure
vanilla extract to wipe my microwave with. Thanks for the advice.
--
Dusty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 22:00:01 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>You can fill a bowl with water and a big dose of lemon juice. Place
>the bowl in the microwave and set it so the water will boil and steam
>for several minutes. Let the oven cool a bit and then leave it open
>overnight.
>
>Tara

Oops-- forgot to add my thanks for your advice in my followup post.
gonna go squeeze some lemons now.
--
Dusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<dusty> wrote in message news:44fb1ce8.44888485@localhost...
> On 2 Sep 2006 16:50:29 -0700, "LadyJane" >
> wrote:
>
>>Vanilla!
>>a few drops of vanilla essence on a dampened cloth works wonders.
>>
>>here in Oz supermarkets stock "vanilla fridge wipe" sold in squirt
>>bottle for cleaning fridges & de-odourizing them. Works brilliantly in
>>microwaves as well.
>>
>>LadyJane

> I haven't seen the vanilla fridge wipe product. but I do have pure
> vanilla extract to wipe my microwave with. Thanks for the advice.

I also do Tara's trick, but with vanilla instead of lemon. The vanilla
smell is lovely.

If you go through all these ideas, you'll have a lovely smelling kitchen as
well as microwave.

Good luck.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nancree" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> I had great success with wet coffee grounds (I just lifted a used
> filter out of my coffee-maker.) Overnight (or all day) and the odor
> was
> completely gone. I have also used this method on a shelf in my
> storage
> closet. (ironically, the thing that had spilled was a can of Ozium
> air
> spray (a wonderful product, when used a little at a time) . This was
> an
> extra large can that tipped over and the spray opening fell off, and
> it
> all leaked out. Success there, too. Good luck.
> Nancree

I don't understand what you actually did. You just dumped them in the
microwave and kept them there overnight, and the bad smell went away?
Forgive my obtuseness; it's not deliberate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LadyJane" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Vanilla!
> a few drops of vanilla essence on a dampened cloth works wonders.

Probably a dumb question: I have imitation vanilla extract. Will that
do?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I don't understand what you actually did. You just dumped them in the
> microwave and kept them there overnight, and the bad smell went away?
> Forgive my obtuseness; it's not deliberate.

---------------
No "forgiveness" needed, Mordechai. We all ask questions on RFC.
That's half the fun.

To make coffee, I put a paper filter in the top of the coffee-maker,
fill the filter with coffee grounds, just as always. I usually just
throw the filter + wet coffee grounds away.

When I need to deodorize my microwave, I lift out the wet filter with
the wet, used coffee and sit it in the microwave, wet filter and all.
I let it sit overnight with the microwave door closed. In the morning I
toss it away. It's always worked for me.

Good luck, Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote:
> "LadyJane" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Vanilla!
> > a few drops of vanilla essence on a dampened cloth works wonders.

> Probably a dumb question: I have imitation vanilla extract. Will that
> do?

Yes, it will do just fine.
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mordechai Housman wrote:

> Probably a dumb question: I have imitation vanilla extract. Will that
> do?

Almost certainly - can't see producers using pure extract in the
commercial fridge wipe product I mentioned, most assuredly use
imitation vanilla, IMHO.

Worth a shot and if it doesn't work 100%, try using pure extract, I
know it yields great results.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nancree" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> I don't understand what you actually did. You just dumped them in the
>> microwave and kept them there overnight, and the bad smell went away?
>> Forgive my obtuseness; it's not deliberate.

> ---------------
> No "forgiveness" needed, Mordechai. We all ask questions on RFC.
> That's half the fun.
>
> To make coffee, I put a paper filter in the top of the coffee-maker,
> fill the filter with coffee grounds, just as always. I usually just
> throw the filter + wet coffee grounds away.
>
> When I need to deodorize my microwave, I lift out the wet filter with
> the wet, used coffee and sit it in the microwave, wet filter and all.
> I let it sit overnight with the microwave door closed. In the morning
> toss it away. It's always worked for me.

So it's pretty much letting the smell of coffee permeate and ultimately
overpower the prior, unwanted smell?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LadyJane" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Mordechai Housman wrote:
>
>> Probably a dumb question: I have imitation vanilla extract. Will that
>> do?

> Almost certainly - can't see producers using pure extract in the
> commercial fridge wipe product I mentioned, most assuredly use
> imitation vanilla, IMHO.
>
> Worth a shot and if it doesn't work 100%, try using pure extract, I
> know it yields great results.
>
> LadyJane

Okay, thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nancree" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Mordechai Housman wrote:
>> "LadyJane" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >
>> > Vanilla!
>> > a few drops of vanilla essence on a dampened cloth works wonders.

>> Probably a dumb question: I have imitation vanilla extract. Will that
>> do?

> Yes, it will do just fine.
> Nancree

Okay, thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:
> Tara wrote:
> > On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:35:34 GMT, dusty wrote:
> >
> > >How can I get rid of a strong burnt food in my microwave. I tried
> > >cleaning with vinegar, but that didn't help at all.
> > >Looking forward to your advice

> > You can fill a bowl with water and a big dose of lemon juice. Place
> > the bowl in the microwave and set it so the water will boil and steam
> > for several minutes. Let the oven cool a bit and then leave it open
> > overnight.
> >
> > Tara

> --------------
> I had great success with wet coffee grounds (I just lifted a used
> filter out of my coffee-maker.) Overnight (or all day) and the odor was
> completely gone. I have also used this method on a shelf in my storage
> closet. (ironically, the thing that had spilled was a can of Ozium air
> spray (a wonderful product, when used a little at a time) . This was an
> extra large can that tipped over and the spray opening fell off, and it
> all leaked out. Success there, too. Good luck.
> Nancree

Nancree--I tried this last night, and it worked like a charm.--r3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:35:34 GMT, dusty wrote:
>

>>How can I get rid of a strong burnt food in my microwave. I tried
>>cleaning with vinegar, but that didn't help at all.
>>Looking forward to your advice

> You can fill a bowl with water and a big dose of lemon juice. Place
> the bowl in the microwave and set it so the water will boil and steam
> for several minutes. Let the oven cool a bit and then leave it open
> overnight.
>
> Tara

Oh, yeah. I had this problem recently when my daughter
incinerated a bagel in the microwave. Someone on rec.food.
equipment suggested cutting up two lemons, nuking them in
water for three minutes, and then letting this stand in the
microwave. I let it stand overnight. The smell was
diminished, and the rest was taken care of by "tincture of
time". I did keep unplugging the unit and letting it sit with
the door open as much as possible. No smell now. If I could
get rid of it, I'm sure you can too--it was VERY strong.

--
Jean B.