Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Raw Brownies

This recipe is not mine. I got it from a raw food forum. But it's really
tasty and amazingly, I had a small piece of it following a dinner that
included baked beans and it didn't spike me. Keep in mind that this will
not be a raw recipe if you do not ensure that your ingredients are in fact
raw to start with. But if you're not a raw foodist, this wouldn't matter.
Also note that the Springform pan used by the person who created this recipe
must have been very tiny. I doubled the recipe and used the smallest
Springform pan I could find. They seemed to be the right thickness with my
pan and double recipe. If you do not have a Springform pan, you can line a
regular pan with foil, then lift the foil out to cut them.

Ingredients:
1 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup cocoa or carob

Process all ingredients in food processor until dry and crumbly. The person
who made this recipe said it takes about 30 seconds but it took me closer to
two minutes. You may need to add a teensy bit of water to your mix if it
doesn't seem to hold together. Some dates are more moist than others.

Press into small Springform pan. I oiled mine with a tiny bit of coconut
oil, but the person who made this recipe didn't say to do this. Just seemed
like it would stick if you didn't.

Refrigerate until firm. Cut into pieces and serve. Store any leftover
pieces in the freezer.

We had no leftover pieces. Everybody loved this stuff! Even the nut haters
in the family. I can't believe how amazingly simple it is to make. And it
really does taste like those chewy, fudgy brownies that are baked with a lot
of ingredients!

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

<snip>

> Ingredients:
> 1 cup pitted dates
> 1/2 cup chopped nuts
> 1/4 cup cocoa or carob

<snip>

And after eating the dates, your blood sugar did what????

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Ingredients:
> > 1 cup pitted dates
> > 1/2 cup chopped nuts
> > 1/4 cup cocoa or carob
> >

> <snip>
>
> And after eating the dates, your blood sugar did what????

Didn't go out of range. According to the package, a serving of dates is 5-6
and that would be 60 g of carbs. I ate only a tiny piece. Perhaps the
equivalent of one or two dates. Works for me! The only other carbs I had
with the mean were some baked beans. But I made those myself and the only
sweetener was about 1/8 cup of molasses for the whole recipe and the Splenda
in the ketchup.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

>> And after eating the dates, your blood sugar did what????

> Didn't go out of range. According to the package, a serving of
> dates is 5-6 and that would be 60 g of carbs. I ate only a tiny
> piece. Perhaps the equivalent of one or two dates. Works for me!
> The only other carbs I had with the mean were some baked beans. But
> I made those myself and the only sweetener was about 1/8 cup of
> molasses for the whole recipe and the Splenda in the ketchup.

I'm looking at Mendosa's glycemic index list - it shows the GI 103 plus
or minus 21, 60 grams of carbs per 100 gram serving, 42 GL. But that's
for Australian dates (I didn't even know there was an "Australian"
variety!) Deglet noor and medjool are the two I'm most familiar with.
The Deglet noor has 75 g of carbs per 100 grams, 63 g sugar.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20UM.html

*One* medjool date is 18 grams of carbs, 16 grams of that is sugar.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21uW.html

I suppose how many dates are in a serving (if you're looking at 100
grams/serving) would depend on how big the dates are.

Dunno - that's a lot of concentrated sugar and the dates are the bulk
of the recipe!

I know a serving of honey shoots me up really high - I've tried it on
toast - I *love* honey butter on toast - and really limited how much
honey I put on the bread and by BG went way too high!

Not a fan of baked beans - they're way too sweet! I love deserts, but
not sweet foods during the meal itself.

I absolultely *love* dates but won't touch them now that I've been
diagnosed!

Sherry

A little bit of Everything Brownies Bakedblog.com Baking 0 21-04-2008 04:23 PM
A little bit of Everything Brownies Bakedblog.com General Cooking 0 21-04-2008 04:22 PM
Brownies Connie Recipes 0 28-02-2007 02:16 PM
Brownies Bob (this one) General Cooking 11 12-08-2005 09:25 PM
Brownies In A Jar Ann McMaster Recipes (moderated) 0 17-11-2004 05:16 AM