Bob (this one)

Default Brownies

My radio co-host's wife is a chocolate and raspberry freak, so I made a
brownie torte for her birthday.

From-scratch (couldn't duplicate it) Wing-It brownie with way too much
chocolate in it - total of 1 1/2 pounds. I had rehydrated 1/2 cup dried
raspberries in 1/2 water and 1/2 tawny port - the right amount for the
liquid in the recipe - 1/4 cup. Nuked it for about 20 seconds to hasten
softening. Mixed the berries into the batter last so they'd stay
reasonably whole.

Baked the batter in two 8-inch cake pans - underbaked, actually so it
would be more moist and dense. Turned them out onto a rack to cool and
spread raspberry preserves on top of each of them while still hot.
Melted into the brownie in a couple minutes. When they were cool, I
spread more preserves on the first layer and put the second on top.
Re-applied preserves to the top for a nice, shiny appearance. Covered
the sides in a very basic semi-sweet chocolate frosting. Piped a border
around the top and around the base of the cake with the frosting.

Had to carry it with both hands.

That smelled so good that my wife and daughter said they thought it
would be a good idea if I made another one. This one was also raspberry,
but I added the dried berries (a whole cup) to the batter and used
Chambord for the liquid, and baked it in a 9 X 13 pan. When it was done,
I turned it out and sprinkled 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks on
the hot brownie. The chocolate melted and I spread it like an icing. Cut
the cake in half (from long side to long side) and trickled more berries
on one half. Put the other half on top and trimmed the sides to make it
square. Lovely. A blast of raspberry flavor on top of the chocolate.

We went to my sister's over the weekend and brought the remnants of the
brownie. She decided that since everybody liked it and it was a small
thing, that she'd like more. Didn't have ingredients or a good mixer
(KitchenAid is in the shop) and I didn't feel like doing it anyway. Sent
one of the nieces to get a good mix and some dried raspberries. Came
back with a perfectly acceptable Duncan Hines mix. Did the 9 X 13
version and it was plenty good enough. All gone...

Pastorio
Margaret Suran

Bob (this one) wrote:
> My radio co-host's wife is a chocolate and raspberry freak, so I
> made a brownie torte for her birthday.
>
> From-scratch (couldn't duplicate it) Wing-It brownie with way too
> much chocolate in it - total of 1 1/2 pounds.

What kind of chocolate do you use?

> I had rehydrated 1/2 cup dried raspberries in 1/2 water and 1/2
> tawny port - the right amount for the liquid in the recipe - 1/4
> cup.

Could I use Orange Juice instead of the Port? And what recipe? I
didn't see one with your post. (

> We went to my sister's over the weekend and brought the remnants of
> the brownie. She decided that since everybody liked it and it was
> a small thing, that she'd like more. Didn't have ingredients or a
> good mixer (KitchenAid is in the shop) and I didn't feel like doing
> it anyway. Sent one of the nieces to get a good mix and some dried
> raspberries. Came back with a perfectly acceptable Duncan Hines
> mix. Did the 9 X 13 version and it was plenty good enough. All
> gone...

> Pastorio

I assume that was a Brownie Mix, but you called your "from scratch"
masterpiece a Brownie Torte, so it may not be. Which mix did you use,
there are so many different ones. Did you put raspberries into it,
too? Do you use oil or butter when you use a mix? If you use butter,
how much? Thank you for replying to this.

I bake mostly "from scratch", but as I frequently bake for a bridge
club, (free of charge ), of course), I sometimes resort to mixes.
For the chocolate cake ones I use unsalted butter instead of oil,
Orange Juice instead of water and I add sour cream, pudding mix and
either nuts or canned sour cherries, plus chocolate chips. As there
are an average of 80 players at every bridge game, using a mix is a
convenience.

Today I will bring them three pans of Blueberry Buckle. From scratch,
of course. I didn't have enough berries, so I added a couple of cups
of diced fresh apricots. I hope it will be good.
Sarah

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> My radio co-host's wife is a chocolate and raspberry freak, so I made a
> brownie torte for her birthday.
>
> From-scratch (couldn't duplicate it) Wing-It brownie with way too much
> chocolate in it - total of 1 1/2 pounds. I had rehydrated 1/2 cup dried
> raspberries in 1/2 water and 1/2 tawny port - the right amount for the
> liquid in the recipe - 1/4 cup. Nuked it for about 20 seconds to hasten
> softening. Mixed the berries into the batter last so they'd stay
> reasonably whole.
> snip<
>>

> Pastorio

I've made this recipe for chocolate and prune brownies a few times and it's
fantastic! (I don't usually care for prunes)
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001405.asp
Sarah

Bob (this one)

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> My radio co-host's wife is a chocolate and raspberry freak, so I made
>> a brownie torte for her birthday.
>>
>> From-scratch (couldn't duplicate it) Wing-It brownie with way too much
>> chocolate in it - total of 1 1/2 pounds.

> What kind of chocolate do you use?

This was some chopped up Callebaut couverture because it was in the house.

>> I had rehydrated 1/2 cup dried raspberries in 1/2 water and 1/2
>> tawny port - the right amount for the liquid in the recipe - 1/4
>> cup.

> Could I use Orange Juice instead of the Port?

I don't see why not.

> And what recipe? I
> didn't see one with your post. (

I started with one I use now and again but tampered with it most
seriously. Here's the original recipe card from one of my restaurants.
Notice the smudges from all those chocolaty fingers:

-------------------
Pastorio's Brownies
Chocolate is included in three different forms. Different chocolates may
be used in each case.
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup butter (I use salted)
7 large eggs
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 2/3 cups sifted all purpose flour
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, cut into chip-sized chunks
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into small chunks
Heat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 non-stick baking pan (I
usually just spray with Baker’s Joy). Put chocolate and butter in a
double boiler and melt over (not in) simmering water, stir to combine.
Meanwhile, whisk eggs, water, vanilla and sugar together. Beat on high
for 2 minutes then reduce to low and add chocolate mixture. Stir
together salt and flour and add in gradually to combine. Fold in the
chocolate chunks. Pour into the baking pan and bake 23-28 minutes.
Toothpick test. Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then invert onto
the rack. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate on top and let it sit for a
minute or so. Spread it with a spatula as it melts to cover the top.
-----------------

We used to serve them sitting in a warm chocolate ganache/sauce (dark
chocolate, Frangelico, cream) with a dab of mascarpone on top. Powdered
sugar over all.

For the torte, I added a 1/2 cup more sugar and folded in the 1/2 cup of
raspberries at the end. Baked it in two 8-inch non-stick cake pans for
about 25 minutes. Used up my stash of Callebaut for the first two
chocolates (didn't measure - just eyed it) and didn't do the melted
chocolate topping. Real raspberry preserves (raspberries, sugar, pectin)
on top of each layer while still warm after turning them out of the cake
pans. A lot of the preserves melt into the brownie. Let cool to room
temp. Take one layer and re-apply a 1/4-inch thick layer of raspberry
preserves. Put the other layer on top. Slather that one with preserves
on top. No preserves on the sides of the torte. Dark chocolate icing for
the sides. I piped dots along the top edge and did a finish border
around the base.

>> We went to my sister's over the weekend and brought the remnants of
>> the brownie. She decided that since everybody liked it and it was
>> a small thing, that she'd like more. Didn't have ingredients or a
>> good mixer (KitchenAid is in the shop) and I didn't feel like doing
>> it anyway. Sent one of the nieces to get a good mix and some dried
>> raspberries. Came back with a perfectly acceptable Duncan Hines mix.
>> Did the 9 X 13 version and it was plenty good enough. All gone...

>> Pastorio

> I assume that was a Brownie Mix, but you called your "from scratch"
> masterpiece a Brownie Torte, so it may not be.

Brownie mix at my sister's. Scratch for the others in the original post.

> Which mix did you use,
> there are so many different ones. Did you put raspberries into it,
> too? Do you use oil or butter when you use a mix? If you use butter,
> how much? Thank you for replying to this.

Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge mix.

Dehydrated raspberries in it.

Oil. That's what this one called for.

> I bake mostly "from scratch", but as I frequently bake for a bridge
> club, (free of charge ), of course), I sometimes resort to mixes.
> For the chocolate cake ones I use unsalted butter instead of oil,
> Orange Juice instead of water and I add sour cream, pudding mix and
> either nuts or canned sour cherries, plus chocolate chips. As there
> are an average of 80 players at every bridge game, using a mix is a
> convenience.
>
> Today I will bring them three pans of Blueberry Buckle. From scratch,
> of course. I didn't have enough berries, so I added a couple of cups
> of diced fresh apricots. I hope it will be good.

I provide a tasting service from home - free of charge. All that's
required is to send along some samples. Sometimes, the tests are
inconclusive and I need more samples.

No, seriously...

Pastorio
Sheryl Rosen

Bob (this one) at wrote on 7/12/05 4:39 PM:
> Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge mix.

I've used that. It's pretty darn good for a mix!!!!
Not quite as good as my scratch brownies (a variation on Barb's often-posted
recipe), but not bad in a pinch. (when I'm feeling either lazy or frugal). I
keep 1 or 2 in the house at all times. When it's on sale, I pick one up.

> Dehydrated raspberries in it.
>
> Oil. That's what this one called for.
>
>> I bake mostly "from scratch", but as I frequently bake for a bridge
>> club, (free of charge ), of course), I sometimes resort to mixes.
>> For the chocolate cake ones I use unsalted butter instead of oil,
>> Orange Juice instead of water and I add sour cream, pudding mix and
>> either nuts or canned sour cherries, plus chocolate chips. As there
>> are an average of 80 players at every bridge game, using a mix is a
>> convenience.

I recently started baking for 25-30 people...I'm getting a reputation as the
Mad Baker of Bridgeport. And that's not a bad thing!

>> Today I will bring them three pans of Blueberry Buckle. From scratch,
>> of course. I didn't have enough berries, so I added a couple of cups
>> of diced fresh apricots. I hope it will be good.

Why wouldn't it be, Margaret? It sounds wonderful! Blueberries and apricots
go nicely together. (Also peaches or nectarines). My Mom preferred
blueberry/peach pie to a straight blueberry pie, because it cut through the
cloying sweet taste of the blueberries.

It's funny--a few days ago, I had the wonderful opportunity to run into the
woman who was my Mom's best friend the last 10 years of her life. When I
told her what was going on in my life, and how I knew the woman who was our
mutual friend, she smiled and said "I know where you get that from...." The
two of us sat and cried, reminiscing about Mom. Of course, when she saw
Mom's ring on my finger, she burst into tears. We had a lot of happy
memories that we shared...so many happy times at our table and hers.

This baking thing...showing my love through food that I make for people--I
hadn 't thought about it, but I did get it from my Mom. Rest her soul!
---
Love like you've never been hurt
Live like there's no tomorrow
And dance like there's nobody watching

Sheldon

Sarah wrote:
> Bob
>
> I've made this recipe for chocolate and prune brownies a few times and it's
> fantastic! (I don't usually care for prunes)
> Sarah

For 'talians it's prunes or draino.

Sheldon

Bob (this one)

Sheldon wrote:
> Sarah wrote:
>
>>Bob
>>
>>I've made this recipe for chocolate and prune brownies a few times and it's
>>fantastic! (I don't usually care for prunes)
>>Sarah

> For 'talians it's prunes or draino.

Gotta keep you fed.

Pastorio
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:
(snip)
> However, I've looked to find something as good to make from scratch
> as I don't like to use often a product with hydrogenated oil, and it
> looks like Barb's often post recipe must be a winner. Barb, is it
> possible to post it AGAIN, please? Please, Please?

> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

First, understand the tone of my "voice" -- questioning only, with not a
hint of snottiness, OK? How are your search skills? I've posted it
enough times that I'm sure folks are tired of seeing it. Do you know
how to use Google? Great search engine! Practicing searching is a good
thing.

I just typed Barb + Brownies into the window and the first hit is a link
to Charlotte Blackmer's blog wherein she has my recipe on her list of
recipes. Charlotte used to be a frequent poster here; now, not so much.

If you enter Barb Schaller + Brownies in the Google search window, the
first half dozen hits have the recipe.

If you don't know my last name but enter Melba's Jammin' + Brownies, the
first hit (the recfoodcooking.org site) has the recipe.

One thing I noted on a couple of them is that the line about moving the
oven rack to the center position is missing. Further searching via an
advanced Google Groups Search
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search (that's where you'd look
for archived newsgroup posts)
shows that when I first posted the recipe in 1997 that information is
there, but it looks like I left it out a couple times since. Go figure.
I see that what is currently in my MC Cookbook file has it in the first
line.

Bottom line: "You can look it up." And remember to move the oven rack
to the center of the oven. I hope you like them.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Margaret Suran

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> Bob (this one) at wrote on 7/12/05 4:39 PM:
>
>>Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge mix.

> I've used that. It's pretty darn good for a mix!!!!
> Not quite as good as my scratch brownies (a variation on Barb's often-posted
> recipe), but not bad in a pinch. (when I'm feeling either lazy or frugal). I
> keep 1 or 2 in the house at all times. When it's on sale, I pick one up.
>

>>Dehydrated raspberries in it.
>>
>>Oil. That's what this one called for.
>>

>>>I bake mostly "from scratch", but as I frequently bake for a bridge
>>>club, (free of charge ), of course), I sometimes resort to mixes.
>>>For the chocolate cake ones I use unsalted butter instead of oil,
>>>Orange Juice instead of water and I add sour cream, pudding mix and
>>>either nuts or canned sour cherries, plus chocolate chips. As there
>>>are an average of 80 players at every bridge game, using a mix is a
>>>convenience.

> I recently started baking for 25-30 people...I'm getting a reputation as the
> Mad Baker of Bridgeport. And that's not a bad thing!
>

>>>Today I will bring them three pans of Blueberry Buckle. From scratch,
>>>of course. I didn't have enough berries, so I added a couple of cups
>>>of diced fresh apricots. I hope it will be good.

> Why wouldn't it be, Margaret? It sounds wonderful! Blueberries and apricots
> go nicely together. (Also peaches or nectarines). My Mom preferred
> blueberry/peach pie to a straight blueberry pie, because it cut through the
> cloying sweet taste of the blueberries.

I have used blueberries plus fresh peaches or apricots, as well as
dried apricots which I plumped with Orange Juice. Everybody loves the
combinations. )

This week's D'Agostina's circular has an interesting recipe for Peach
Pie. It is an open pie and uses peach preserves as a glaze. I would
use apricot preserves and sprinkle Streusel over the top if I make
this pie. Also, you can use any kind of crust, such as a cookie crust
or Muerbe Teig instead of the regular pie crust.
serene

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I just typed Barb + Brownies into the window and the first hit is a link
> to Charlotte Blackmer's blog wherein she has my recipe on her list of
> recipes. Charlotte used to be a frequent poster here; now, not so much.

Charlotte brings the best hostess gifts.

serene, recipient of many such things

A little bit of Everything Brownies Bakedblog.com Baking 0 21-04-2008 04:23 PM
A little bit of Everything Brownies Bakedblog.com General Cooking 0 21-04-2008 04:22 PM
Brownies Connie Recipes 0 28-02-2007 03:16 PM
Raw Brownies Julie Bove Diabetic 3 11-07-2006 06:05 PM
Brownies In A Jar Ann McMaster Recipes (moderated) 0 17-11-2004 06:16 AM