Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default how many carbs for good diabetic diet

Jim Butler wrote:
> I have a blood sugar lever of 129 and need to start a diet exercise regime.
> How many carbs should i shoot for?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Sounds like you're planning a move to take control of your diabetes... good
for you.

There is so much to absorb... you don't have to rush into anything. Begin
by using your best weapon in this war, your meter. You won't keel over
today, you have time to experiment, test, learn, test and figure out just
how your body and this disease are getting along. The most important
thing you can do to learn about yourself and diabetes is test test test.

More than most anything, what you eat will affect your diabetes and
your blood glucose numbers.

And more than anything you eat, carbs will affect your diabetes and
your blood glucose numbers.

So, the most important information you can begin to compile about
yourself, is how your body handles carbs.

This sounds like you would need a low carb food plan right?

You don't... what you need to uncover is YOUR Personalized Carb Number.

Which actually works better for most everyone. Because low to one
person is wildly high to another, but waaaaay too low for someone
else.

Is low carb less than 30g a day? Is it anything less than the
Pyramid reccomendations?

Finding your Personalized Carb Number is easy.

Here's how you can figure out your own Personalized Carb Number.

The single biggest question a diabetic has to answer is:

What do I eat?

Unfortunately, the answer is pretty confusing.

What confounds us all is the fact that different diabetics can get great
results on wildly different food plans. Some of us here achieve
great blood glucose control eating a high complex carbohydrate diet.
Others find that anything over 75 - 100g of carbs a day is too
much. Still others are somewhere in between.

At the beginning all of us felt frustrated. We wanted to be handed
THE way to eat, to ensure our continued health. But we all
learned that there is no one way. Each of us had to find our own path,
using the experience of those that went before, but still having
to discover for ourselves how OUR bodies and this disease were coexisting.

Ask questions, but remember each of us discovered on our own what works best
for us. You can use our experiences as jumping off points, but eventually
you'll work up a successful plan that is yours alone.

What you are looking to discover is how different foods affect you. As I'm
sure you've read, carbohydrates (sugars, wheat, rice... the things our
Grandmas called "starches") raise blood sugars the most rapidly. Protein
and fat do raise them, but not as high and much more slowly... so if you're
a T2, generally the insulin your body still makes may take care of the rise.

You might want to try some experiments.

First: Eat whatever you've been
currently eating... but write it all down.
Test yourself at the following times:

Upon waking (fasting)
1 hour after each meal
2 hours after each meal
At bedtime

That means 8 x each day. What you will discover by this is how long
after a meal your highest reading comes... and how fast you return to
"normal". Also, you may see that a meal that included bread, fruit or
other carbs gives you a higher reading.

Then for the next few days, try to curb your carbs. Eliminate breads,
cereals, rices, beans, any wheat products, potato, corn, fruit... get all
your carbs from veggies. Test at the same schedule above.

If you try this for a few days, you may find some pretty damn good
readings. It's worth a few days to discover.

Eventually you can slowly add back carbs until you see them affecting your
meter.

The thing about this disease... though we share much in common and we
need to
follow certain guidelines... in the end, each of our bodies dictate our
treatment and our success.

The closer we get to non-diabetic numbers, the greater chance we have of
avoiding horrible complications. The key here is AIM... I know that
everyone is at a different point in their disease... and it is progressive.
But, if we aim for the best numbers and do our best, we give ourselves the
best shot at heath we've got.
That's all we can do.

Here's my opinion on what numbers to aim for, they are non-diabetic numbers.

FBG under 100
One hour after meals under 140
Two hours after meals under 120

or for those in the mmol parts of the world:

Fasting Under 6
One hour after meals Under 8
Two hours after meals Under 6.5

Recent studies have indicated that the most important numbers are your
"after meal" numbers. They may be the most indicative of future
complications, especially heart problems.

Listen to your doctor, but you are the leader of your diabetic
care team. While his /her advice is learned, it is not absolute. You
will end up knowing much more about your body and how it's handling
diabetes than your doctor will. Your meter is your best weapon.

Just remember, we're not in a race or a competition with anyone but
ourselves... Play around with your food plan... TEST TEST TEST. Learn what
foods cause spikes, what foods cause cravings... Use your body as a science
experiment.

You'll read about a lot of different ways people use to control their
diabetes... Many are diametrically opposed. After awhile you'll learn that
there is no one size fits all around here. Take some time to experiment
and you'll soon discover the plan that works for you.

Best of luck!

Jennifer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jim Butler" > wrote in message
> I have a blood sugar lever of 129 and need to start a diet exercise

regime.
> How many carbs should i shoot for?

Too much missing information. I presume that you mean level and not lever.
How often are you testing and when did you get this 129 in respect to
eating?

As for diet, there is no one diet that we all use. Some of us can eat more
carbs than others. Just too many variables. Your best bet is to start with
a dietician who will explain the various food groups, how to count your
carbs, etc. and go from there. Keep in mind this is just a starting point.
The diet he or she gives you may not work for you.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jim Butler" > wrote in message
>I have a blood sugar lever of 129 and need to start a diet exercise
>regime. How many carbs should i shoot for?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

I test two hours after each meal. In my Blood Sugar level logbook I
note what I am eating. Normally BSL should be between 80 to 120 mg/dl
or 4.4 to 6.6 mmol/l so 129 isn't all that bad if your using the
american measurement of mg/dl.

The day before Yesterday I had a 1/2 cup of of herbed rice with and a
slice of whole wheat bread 2 hours later my BSL was 110 mg/dl two
hours later yet yesterday I had a harb boiled egg at breakfast and my
BSL two hours later was 169 mg/dl so it is important to log your
meals.

--
So Say We All,
Dale

On the internet superhighway I prefer the slow lane.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Night Spirit" > wrote in news:8DVUf.7695$Bj7.6361
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

<snip>

> The day before Yesterday I had a 1/2 cup of of herbed rice with and a
> slice of whole wheat bread 2 hours later my BSL was 110 mg/dl two
> hours later yet yesterday I had a harb boiled egg at breakfast and my
> BSL two hours later was 169 mg/dl so it is important to log your
> meals.

What was your bgs before breakfast? It's hard to imagine that one egg
would raise your blood sugar high!

I couldn't even begin to think about eating 1/2 cup of rice.... esp along
with a slice of bread and no protein. My bgs would be up to 200!

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:03:00 GMT, "Night Spirit"
> wrote:

>"Jim Butler" > wrote in message
>>I have a blood sugar lever of 129 and need to start a diet exercise
>>regime. How many carbs should i shoot for?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim

>I test two hours after each meal. In my Blood Sugar level logbook I
>note what I am eating. Normally BSL should be between 80 to 120 mg/dl
>or 4.4 to 6.6 mmol/l so 129 isn't all that bad if your using the
>american measurement of mg/dl.
>
>The day before Yesterday I had a 1/2 cup of of herbed rice with and a
>slice of whole wheat bread 2 hours later my BSL was 110 mg/dl two
>hours later yet yesterday I had a harb boiled egg at breakfast and my
>BSL two hours later was 169 mg/dl so it is important to log your
>meals.

What else did you have with the egg?
You may get some surprises if you try a test at one hour
instead of two.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article 42>,
Sherry > wrote:

> "Night Spirit" > wrote in news:8DVUf.7695$Bj7.6361
> @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > The day before Yesterday I had a 1/2 cup of of herbed rice with and a
> > slice of whole wheat bread 2 hours later my BSL was 110 mg/dl two
> > hours later yet yesterday I had a harb boiled egg at breakfast and my
> > BSL two hours later was 169 mg/dl so it is important to log your
> > meals.
> >

> What was your bgs before breakfast? It's hard to imagine that one egg
> would raise your blood sugar high!

Sounds more like a liver dump to me.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Sherry Boldly typed:
> "Night Spirit" > wrote in
> news:8DVUf.7695$Bj7.6361 @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> The day before Yesterday I had a 1/2 cup of of herbed rice with and
>> slice of whole wheat bread 2 hours later my BSL was 110 mg/dl two
>> hours later yet yesterday I had a harb boiled egg at breakfast and
>> my
>> BSL two hours later was 169 mg/dl so it is important to log your
>> meals.
>>

> What was your bgs before breakfast? It's hard to imagine that one
> egg
> would raise your blood sugar high!
>
> I couldn't even begin to think about eating 1/2 cup of rice.... esp
> along with a slice of bread and no protein. My bgs would be up to
> 200!
>
> Sherry

Fasting was 119, Well the carb count for the herbed rice was 44 carbs
and a slice of the whole wheat bread was 12 carbs. So a half a cup of
rice was 22 carbs plus 12 for the bread was 34 carbs. I don't know if
this has anything with but I take lasix because of fluid retention.

--
So Say We All,
Dale

On the internet superhighway I prefer the slow lane.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you can visit :
http://www.diabetics.blogspot.com
for eating guidelines

Vegan Diet May Reduce Diabetic Nerve Pain - Physicians Committee Dr. Jai Maharaj[_2_] Vegan 0 10-08-2014 08:30 PM
Please help - Re Diet - Diabetic Amy[_3_] Diabetic 0 17-03-2008 03:22 PM
Please help - Re Diet - Diabetic [email protected] Diabetic 7 09-03-2008 10:33 PM
vegan diabetic diet? Nicolaas Vegan 3 25-02-2005 06:27 PM
Good Carbs, Bad Carbs, And Cancer Steve Vegan 0 12-08-2004 05:31 PM