Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: Egg Stuffed Roasted Chiles

I picked up this idea during a recent trip to Mexico. It's roasted rather
than fried and had a high protein, low carb filling.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Egg Stuffed Roasted Chiles

A slimmed down version of a classic Mexican favorite. It's low in fat and
carbs but NOT low in flavor.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine: Mexican
Main Ingredient: Peppers
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Vegetarian, Low Carb, Meatless, Low Fat,
Sauté, Roast, Side Dish, Main Dish, Brunch

-= Ingredients =-
2 large Chile peppers ; - Poblano or Anaheim
2 large Eggs
4 medium Egg whites ; - or 1 cup egg substitute
1/2 cup Cottage cheese ; - low fat is fine
1/2 cup spinach leaves ; - chopped
2 tablespoons green onion ; - chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme ; - or 1 1/2 tsp fresh
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
1 teaspoon Olive oil
1 small jalapeno pepper ; - red, ripe, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Plain yogurt ; - low fat is fine
1 cup salsa ; - your favorite brand
2 tablespoons Lime juice ; - juice of 1 lime

-= Instructions =-
-- Roasting the chilies:
Place the chilies on a hot grill (or under the broiler) and turn them
frequently until they are evenly blistered and blackened (5 - 8 minutes). I
use a small grill on the top of 1 burner of my gas stove.
When roasted, place the peppers in a closed plastic bag and set aside to
steam for 5-10 minutes. You can use this time to prepare the egg stuffing.

Place the eggs, cottage cheese, spinach, onion, and spices in a blender or
food processor. Process until the spinach is finely chopped and the mixture
is smooth.
Heat the EVOO in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and
stir gently while it cooks. Cook until the eggs are softly set and look like
scrambled eggs.

When the peppers have steamed the blackened skin will peel off easily under
some running warm water. Peel the peppers and cut in half lengthwise. Be
careful not to cut through the back side and leave both ends together so a
hollow "bowl" is formed.

Mix the lime juice into the salsa to give it a tart/hot taste.

Spoon the egg mixture into the peppers and garnish with a dollop of yogurt
and a few slices of red jalapeno pepper. Place on a plate with a ring of
salsa squirted ( or poured) under the peppers. You may need a brief zap in
the microwave to assure everything is hot prior to serving.

Each (1 pepper) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 156, FatCals: 23, TotalFat: 3g
SatFat: 1g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 2g
Chol: 4mg, Na: 703mg, K: 477mg
TotCarbs: 10g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 8g
NetCarbs: 8g, protein: 17g

** Recipe, with photo at: www.bigoven.com/recipe160764 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have been eating only whole foods and while not exactly following
your recipes, I've been using them as a guide and using what I have on
hand. Since we're thanking people today, I want you to know that I
appreciate all the time you've taken to create and publish your
recipes. It has helped me a lot to gain and maintain tight control of
my BG without meds.

pc