Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Kim Kim is offline

Default Suggestions for a dip

Hello,
I am new to this newsgroup my husband doctor has told him that he needs to
start eating stuff like Broccoli and fresh Veggie. He is an over the road
truck driver . What I am wondering if there anything you can suggest what
might make a good dip for him to use.

Thank you for your help.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Kim" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am new to this newsgroup my husband doctor has told him that he needs to
> start eating stuff like Broccoli and fresh Veggie. He is an over the road
> truck driver . What I am wondering if there anything you can suggest what
> might make a good dip for him to use.

What kind of thing does your husband like to eat? I enjoy sour cream or
yoghurt dips, with maybe herbs or cheese; I also like salsas. Hummous is
good too. You could also lightly steam then puree his veggies : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Kim Kim is offline

"> > > What kind of thing does your husband like to eat? I enjoy sour cream
or
> yoghurt dips, with maybe herbs or cheese; I also like salsas. Hummous is
> good too. You could also lightly steam then puree his veggies : )
>
> Nicky.
>
> --
> A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
> 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
> 95/74/72Kg

He will ear most anything I just want to make sure it would not raise his
sugar count. is there anything I should look for when buying store brands

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Kim wrote:
> "> > > What kind of thing does your husband like to eat? I enjoy sour cream
> or
>
>>yoghurt dips, with maybe herbs or cheese; I also like salsas. Hummous is
>>good too. You could also lightly steam then puree his veggies : )
>>
>>Nicky.
>>
>>--
>>A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
>>1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
>>95/74/72Kg
>>

> He will ear most anything I just want to make sure it would not raise his
> sugar count. is there anything I should look for when buying store brands

I don't know if this is a possibility; I was in our grocery store here
in Florida, and picked up some packages of French Onion Dip mix, by
McCormick. It says it has 0 fats, less than 1g carb a serving (3/4 tsp
dry mix, or 2 Tbsp made up). It's ingredients are onion, hydrolyzed corn
gluten, soy protein, wheat gluten, salt, autolyzed yeast extract,
dextrose and maltodextrose.

It is something you could make up with sour cream or yoghurt and put in
a plastic container; he could have it with him on the road in a cooler.

just a thought!

Gillian
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Kim" > wrote in message
> He will ear most anything I just want to make sure it would not raise his
> sugar count. is there anything I should look for when buying store brands

Total carbohydrate, not just the sugar levels. Does he test his blood
glucose levels? If he does, it's relatively easy to work out what carb
levels he can handle at different meals, and then you can use that as a
guide. Here's a link that tells how to do that, in case you haven't been
told how:
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/74/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Kim" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am new to this newsgroup my husband doctor has told him that he needs to
> start eating stuff like Broccoli and fresh Veggie. He is an over the road
> truck driver . What I am wondering if there anything you can suggest what
> might make a good dip for him to use.
>
> Thank you for your help.

Some people like ranch dressing. I don't. I used to make a dip of cottage
cheese mixed with a bit of shredded cheddar and chopped red onion. Whip
with immersion blender. I found out I'm allergic to dairy so that is no
longer. Salsa is good, and so is hummus. You can now buy small jars of
shelf stable hummus. When I was traveling, I'd sometimes buy those cans of
dip sold on the chip aisle. They're not the best nutritionally speaking,
but they taste okay.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 07:38:32 -0600, "Kim" >
wrote:

>Hello,
>I am new to this newsgroup my husband doctor has told him that he needs to
>start eating stuff like Broccoli and fresh Veggie. He is an over the road
>truck driver . What I am wondering if there anything you can suggest what
>might make a good dip for him to use.
>
>Thank you for your help.

Below I'll post a copy of a cheese guacamole I make myself,
and also a link to a stir-fry salad mix I keep in the fridge
as a staple and use, in one form or another, daily.

On the guacamole, it may not be suitable for road trips
because the avocado will eventually discolour. So for
"on-the-road" just leave out the avocado and add some
broccoli or extra celery (or any other suitable vege -
experiment) to the cheese base.

Stri-fry and salad mix: http://tinyurl.com/caedy

Cheesy Guacamole

1 moderate size ripe avocado.
¼ to 1/2 cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped red capsicum (bell pepper)
1 chopped hot chili pepper (to your taste, or chili flakes)
½ minced clove of garlic
30g chopped cheddar cheese
30g light philadelphia or ricotta or cottage cheese
2 teaspoons grated parmesan
a large squeeze of lemon or lime juice
1/2 tsp minced/grated ginger (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

All ingredients are extremely approximate and dependant on
what's in the fridge. You must add the citrus if you use
avocado or it will discolour much too quickly.

Peel and seed avocado, mix all ingredients.
Adjust dryness with a little olive or peanut oil if
necessary until a smooth paste is obtained.

If using a food processor, add the solid vegetable
ingredients last and process briefly to retain some texture.

Serve with slices of carrot, celery or similar for dipping.
Low-fat crackers may be OK depending on your carb
requirements.

carbs, fat etc - not the faintest idea (low, and depends
how much you have and whether you use veges or crackers to
dip). Check your own BG at one and two hours, mine is
usually good after this.

Use it to fill the "gotta have something" gap between meals.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Kim Kim is offline

Thank you.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote in
:

> On the guacamole, it may not be suitable for road trips
> because the avocado will eventually discolour. So for
> "on-the-road" just leave out the avocado and add some
> broccoli or extra celery (or any other suitable vege -
> experiment) to the cheese base.

If you toss the pit on top of the guacamole, it won't discolor. My Dad
always did this when he'd make up guacamole. I'll eat half an avocado and
put the other half in the fridge with the pit left in and the next day
the "kept" half looks great!

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan Moorman" > wrote in message

> The simplest thing I ever came up with for increasing my snacking on
> vegetables was to slice carrots with the ripple cutter, then sprinkle
> them with a bit of onion powder, and a little salt.
>
> They end up being about as good as potato chips (to me!)

You can buy carrots here already cut in that shape. I actually prefer them
with no dip whatever but I've read that carrots are best eaten with fat to
get all the nutritional value out of them. So I dip them in a little olive
oil and sea salt.

--
See my webpage:

I need some suggestions - please Bob-tx Barbecue 8 20-05-2009 10:02 PM
Suggestions SteveB[_2_] General Cooking 23 18-12-2008 06:25 PM
Suggestions Please stark General Cooking 21 07-12-2007 05:11 PM
ANY SUGGESTIONS????? M I N D Y Tea 5 02-05-2004 12:46 AM
ANY SUGGESTIONS?(Tee) M I N D Y Tea 0 01-05-2004 04:54 PM