Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Suggestions Please

I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
> I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
> brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
> for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?

How about a small pot of beef stew? I'm sure I don't need to tell you how
to make beef stew

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" > wrote in message
> I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
> brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
> for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?

Italian stir fry.

Cut it into thin slices, Brown a couple of cloves of garlic in a little
olive oil in a wok. Add meat if uncooked and brown (if meat is already
cooked, being a leftover, wait until you add other ingredients after the
zukes to add the meat), remove from pan. In same pan, add 1-2 small
zucchini (either sliced or shredded) and cook until limp. Return beef to
pan, add one cup of italian dressing, a pint of grape tomatoes sliced in
half and mix all until thoroughly combined. Heat until tomatoes are just
warm. Serve over pasta and top with parmesan cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 8:49 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> stark wrote:
> > I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
> > brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
> > for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?

> How about a small pot of beef stew? I'm sure I don't need to tell you how
> to make beef stew
>
> Jill

Sounds good to me. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> "stark" > wrote in message
>> I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
>> brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
>> for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?

> Chili

Or shredded beef tacos, chimichangas, something like that! No grits
involved

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Janet wrote:
>> "stark" > wrote in message

>>> I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
>>> brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
>>> for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?

>> Chili

> Or shredded beef tacos, chimichangas, something like that! No grits
> involved

That Italian beef crockpot dish from Damsel comes to my mind.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Janet wrote:

>>> Chili

>> Or shredded beef tacos, chimichangas, something like that! No grits
>> involved
>>

> That Italian beef crockpot dish from Damsel comes to my mind.

It does, Alan. But I gather this beef roast has already been cooked. Stark
is looking for uses for the leftovers? Stark will correct me if I'm wrong.
And my original suggestion for using said leftovers for stew would mean
adding the already cooked beef towards the end of cooking. I didn't specify
that. I should have.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 6:05 am, stark > wrote:
> I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
> brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
> for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?

Hot roast beef sandwiches with brown gravy! SOS. Chicago Beef stew.
French Dip with raw horseradish on a soft French roll.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

stark > wrote in

s.com:

> I've got a small top round roast leftover, about
> three-quarters of a brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs.
> Used most of the original for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out.
> What would you do with it?

BBQ beef for sandwiches.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 3:58�pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> hahabogus wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :

> >> Or shredded beef tacos, chimichangas, something like that! �No grits
> >> involved

> > That Italian beef crockpot dish from Damsel comes to my mind.

> It does, Alan. �But I gather this beef roast has already been cooked. �Stark
> is looking for uses for the leftovers? �Stark will correct me if I'm wrong.
> And my original suggestion for using said leftovers for stew would mean
> adding the already cooked beef towards the end of cooking. �I didn't specify
> that. �I should have.

Using roast beef for stew/braise is the pits... may as well toss it in
the trash rather than bother.

Instead slice it thin for sammiches... that's what I did today with a
similar sized piece of top round that was last night's london broil...
was just as good today on rye with mayo and lettuce

Julienne it for salad.

Fry up some spuds and onyuns... hash... w/eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> On Nov 30, 6:05 am, stark > wrote:
>> I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
>> brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
>> for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?

> Hot roast beef sandwiches with brown gravy! SOS.

You had me right up until the SOS part. SOS is creamed chipped beef in a
white gravy served over toast. It's not roast beef. And it's *not* ground
hamburger! (Let the SOS debates begin yet again!)

Jill <--who buys the Stouffer's version of SOS from time to time

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 10:44 am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> "stark" > wrote in message

> > I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
> > brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
> > for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?

> Italian stir fry.
>
> Cut it into thin slices, Brown a couple of cloves of garlic in a little
> olive oil in a wok.

Sorry if I was unclear; the battery on my dingleberry must be low. The
remainder of my roast is uncooked,but all suggestions were
appreciated. I'm always hungrier than capable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 06:05:11 -0800 (PST), stark
> wrote:

>I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
>brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
>for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?

Mmmmm grillades. Mmmm.

How about cubing it for any manner of stewing applications from chili
to bouguinonne to rogan josh?
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" wrote

> I've got a small top round roast leftover, about three-quarters of a
> brick, size-wise. Maybe 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Used most of the original
> for grillades, but I'm gritsed-out. What would you do with it?

I gather this hasnt been cooked yet right?

What I sometimes do is make a *small* crockpot item with meats like that,
cut to cubes but that particular cut isnt optimal for the crockpot.

I think I would slice it thinnish (easier when still partly frozen) then use
it in 1/2 to 3/4 lb amounts in a stirfry or pancit. Some would get the fast
heat cooking with a little korean style hot sauce and russian dressing and
be served as aside dish to a main dish that was mostly vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"readandpostrosie" > wrote in
:

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
>>

>> Italian stir fry.
>>
>> Cut it into thin slices, Brown a couple of cloves of garlic in a
>> little olive oil in a wok. Add meat if uncooked and brown (if meat is
>> already cooked, being a leftover, wait until you add other
>> ingredients after the zukes to add the meat), remove from pan. In
>> same pan, add 1-2 small zucchini (either sliced or shredded) and cook
>> until limp. Return beef to pan, add one cup of italian dressing, a
>> pint of grape tomatoes sliced in half and mix all until thoroughly
>> combined. Heat until tomatoes are just warm. Serve over pasta and
>> top with parmesan cheese.
>>

> thanks virginia, that sounds really good!

I prefer to not cut the grape tomatoes...Warm grape tomatoes bursting in
your mouth is a glourious thing.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:28:56 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>I prefer to not cut the grape tomatoes...Warm grape tomatoes bursting in
>your mouth is a glourious thing.

What's the difference between a grape tomato and a cherry tomato?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 16:00:49 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:28:56 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>>
>>I prefer to not cut the grape tomatoes...Warm grape tomatoes bursting in
>>your mouth is a glourious thing.

>What's the difference between a grape tomato and a cherry tomato?

From what I remember, it is a different variety.
I have had both, and the grape tomato tastes different to me. It is
sweeter,with a more pronounced tomato flavor than the cherry tomato.
That could just be me, though.

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_tomato

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 2, 4:09 pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> From what I remember, it is a different variety.
> I have had both, and the grape tomato tastes different to me. It is
> sweeter,with a more pronounced tomato flavor than the cherry tomato.
> That could just be me, though. [snip]

Correct, grape tomato is a different variety. Smaller -- grape size,
rather than cherry size -- and more flavorful. The vines are very
hardy; I have one in the backyard that is two years old and still
producing fruit ! -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:31:54 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>On Dec 2, 4:09 pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>>
>> From what I remember, it is a different variety.
>> I have had both, and the grape tomato tastes different to me. It is
>> sweeter,with a more pronounced tomato flavor than the cherry tomato.
>> That could just be me, though. [snip]

>Correct, grape tomato is a different variety. Smaller -- grape size,
>rather than cherry size -- and more flavorful. The vines are very
>hardy; I have one in the backyard that is two years old and still
>producing fruit ! -aem

That's odd, cause what I have been reading on them is that they are a
hybrid. And hybrids can't reproduce like that. At least that is what
I have read so far, in several places. I admit I could be reading and
understanding it wrong though..LOL

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 02 Dec 2007 05:09:10p, Christine Dabney meant to say...

> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 16:00:49 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:28:56 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>>>
>>>I prefer to not cut the grape tomatoes...Warm grape tomatoes bursting in
>>>your mouth is a glourious thing.

>>What's the difference between a grape tomato and a cherry tomato?

> From what I remember, it is a different variety.
> I have had both, and the grape tomato tastes different to me. It is
> sweeter,with a more pronounced tomato flavor than the cherry tomato.
> That could just be me, though.
>
> From Wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_tomato
>
> Christine

Typically, besides what Christine said, they are also smaller and most are
shaped more like a grape.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sun, 12/2/07

Today is: First Sunday of Advent
Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 5hrs 15mins
Pandora's Rule: Never open a box you
didn't close.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:28:56 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>>
>>I prefer to not cut the grape tomatoes...Warm grape tomatoes bursting in
>>your mouth is a glourious thing.

> What's the difference between a grape tomato and a cherry tomato?

grape tomatoes are the size of grapes...cherry tomatoes are larger

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 2, 4:46 pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:31:54 -0800 (PST), aem >
> wrote:
>
> >Correct, grape tomato is a different variety. Smaller -- grape size,
> >rather than cherry size -- and more flavorful. The vines are very
> >hardy; I have one in the backyard that is two years old and still
> >producing fruit ! -aem

> That's odd, cause what I have been reading on them is that they are a
> hybrid. And hybrids can't reproduce like that. At least that is what
> I have read so far, in several places. I admit I could be reading and
> understanding it wrong though..LOL

You're no doubt right about reproducing. What I meant was that this
plant never died, not that new plants came up from fallen seeds. It
survived all last (very mild SoCal) winter, thrived over the second
summer, and is still going now. I picked about 15 little fruits
yesterday afternoon and added them to a spaghetti sauce I was making
about five minutes from the end. You got a little extra burst of
fresh flavor when you bit into one. -aem

I need some suggestions - please Bob-tx Barbecue 8 20-05-2009 10:02 PM
Suggestions SteveB[_2_] General Cooking 23 18-12-2008 06:25 PM
Any suggestions... Carol In WI General Cooking 3 30-11-2004 11:12 PM
ANY SUGGESTIONS????? M I N D Y Tea 5 02-05-2004 12:46 AM
ANY SUGGESTIONS?(Tee) M I N D Y Tea 0 01-05-2004 04:54 PM