Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Savoy Cabbage Parcels

Very Savoury and cheap as chips.
Portion sizes? - Impossible to say.

8 Ounces Cheap Beef Mince.
2 Ounces Chopped Onion.
A clove of Garlic, if liked.
a Beef Stock Cube - say - an OXO cube.
An Ounce of grated Carrot.
8 Large outer leaves of crisp Savoy Cabbage.
Cauliflower Florets, blanched and chopped finely.
Some Butter.

Fry the mince, add the onion and garlic.
Stir a minute or so.
Add the stock.
Add the finely grated Carrot + a pinch of salt and a hefty load of Black
Pepper.
Let that simmer for a while - say 30-40 minutes.

Blanch the WHOLE Cabbage Leaves until lightly softened but NOT cooked.
(You could also use Spring Greens for this recipe)
Refresh them in cold water.
Pat them dry with kitchen paper.
Lay them out flat.
Spoon some of the Mince mixture on each one and roll them up, sealing the
sides underneath to keep the filling inside.
Place into a braising dish suitable for the oven.
Pour over the remaining Gravies from the mince.
Arrange finely chopped Par-Boiled Cauliflower florets on top.
Dab with butter.
Bake at 180 Celcius for 40 minutes.
Carefully lift out the Cabbage Rolls to hot serving plates.
Possibly two as a serving, but some people do like their food.

To Drink:
The water the Cabbage was cooked in: Lightly spiced with Ground White Pepper
and served HOT in a mug.
(Cabbage "Water", was a favourite drink when I was young)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"See Hear" > wrote in message
> Very Savoury and cheap as chips.
> Portion sizes? - Impossible to say.

We used to bake this in a tomato sauce when we were cooking for a crowd -
around 100+ and up : ) 2 or 3 parcels with sauce was a good serving size.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

See Hear > wrote:
: Very Savoury and cheap as chips.
: Portion sizes? - Impossible to say.

: 8 Ounces Cheap Beef Mince.
: 2 Ounces Chopped Onion.
: A clove of Garlic, if liked.
: a Beef Stock Cube - say - an OXO cube.
: An Ounce of grated Carrot.
: 8 Large outer leaves of crisp Savoy Cabbage.
: Cauliflower Florets, blanched and chopped finely.
: Some Butter.

: Blanch the WHOLE Cabbage Leaves until lightly softened but NOT cooked.
: (You could also use Spring Greens for this recipe)
: Refresh them in cold water.

just a elpful hint on preparing stuffed cabbages form an old hand at it.
There are two quick methods for softeneing the cabbage leaves without
fussing with the burnt fingers form all that boiling water.

1- you can freeze the head of cabbage , then defrosting it and the leaves
will be soft.

1-(my preferred method) Microwave teh head until the outer leaves are
soft. If you need more leaves, microwave the head again until the then
outerleaves are soft, etc. I find this much quicker adn esier than the
boiling water method.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> See Hear > wrote:
> : Very Savoury and cheap as chips.
> : Portion sizes? - Impossible to say.
>
> : 8 Ounces Cheap Beef Mince.
> : 2 Ounces Chopped Onion.
> : A clove of Garlic, if liked.
> : a Beef Stock Cube - say - an OXO cube.
> : An Ounce of grated Carrot.
> : 8 Large outer leaves of crisp Savoy Cabbage.
> : Cauliflower Florets, blanched and chopped finely.
> : Some Butter.
>
> : Blanch the WHOLE Cabbage Leaves until lightly softened but NOT cooked.
> : (You could also use Spring Greens for this recipe)
> : Refresh them in cold water.
>
> just a elpful hint on preparing stuffed cabbages form an old hand at it.
> There are two quick methods for softeneing the cabbage leaves without
> fussing with the burnt fingers form all that boiling water.
>
> 1- you can freeze the head of cabbage , then defrosting it and the leaves
> will be soft.
>
> 1-(my preferred method) Microwave teh head until the outer leaves are
> soft. If you need more leaves, microwave the head again until the then
> outerleaves are soft, etc. I find this much quicker adn esier than the
> boiling water method.
>
> Wendy

EXCELLENT suggestions - both!
Thanks for the input.