Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What's for Christmas Dinner?

Hi All,

What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
decided yet and would love to know what you guys
are making!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2013 10:33 AM, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
> decided yet and would love to know what you guys
> are making!
>
> -T

Don't worry. I don't know where any of you live.
I won't be showing up on your doorstep. :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have a couple days off a year from worrying about diabetes and Christmas
is one of them.

I will be eating Chinese takeout as a special treat since I dont ever get
to eat it with wontons and rice and noodles.

traditionally I make a ham and faux mashed potato's and Brussels for the
wife.

then id make a dessert of some sort and not care about the carbs for
Christmas only.

but this year I'm going rogue and doing Chinese because I'm sick of cooking
every year..this year I'm relaxing.

KROM

"Todd" wrote in message ...

Hi All,

What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
decided yet and would love to know what you guys
are making!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
> decided yet and would love to know what you guys
> are making!

We still haven't made set in stone plans but here's what I have so far.

Red White and Black Salad. This is radishes, celery and olives with a lemon
dressing.

Pink Bean and Celery Soup.

Pasta with Fried Garlic. Am making this for husband but Angela might try
it.

Crescent Rolls.

Assorted fancy cheeses.

It is likely that Angela will opt for another form of beans or other
protein. And I will likely have some other vegetables as well. Probably
raw ones.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
>I have a couple days off a year from worrying about diabetes and Christmas
>is one of them.
>
> I will be eating Chinese takeout as a special treat since I dont ever
> get to eat it with wontons and rice and noodles.
>
> traditionally I make a ham and faux mashed potato's and Brussels for the
> wife.
>
> then id make a dessert of some sort and not care about the carbs for
> Christmas only.
>
> but this year I'm going rogue and doing Chinese because I'm sick of
> cooking every year..this year I'm relaxing.
>

> KROM

Good for you KROM. I'm burnt out too, but really, not any good Chinese
restaurants where I am, so I will have Prime Rib after all. It's easy and
very good. I will have some kind of squash with it, and I will splurge with
Yorkshire Pudding. I love that stuff and have it only a couple of times a
year. Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it and Happy Holidays to all,
including all holidays that fall in December.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pretty hot at the moment so I am going for cold stuff. I have two
marinated chickens in the freezer to cook on Tuesday. Son's girlfriend
bought home a half leg of ham last night from work as her Xmas bonus so
there will be hand-sliced leg ham as well. I am making Greek salad,
pasta salad and bean salad. I have cranberry and apples sauces. I will
buy fresh rolls Tuesday as my kids like rolls with that kind of meal.
For dessert I have a chocolate bavarian in the freezer, some good
quality ice-cream and long-life carton of vanilla custard chilling. Also
some pre-sliced fruit cake with icing.

For nibblies I have dips, chips, crackers, nuts, lollies and chocolates
One son's girlfriend wants to make chocolate balls - probs Mars Bar
balls or similar. I have bought a slab of Coke Zero, we mostly only
drink water so this is special Boys and the girlfriends/fiancées etc.
will probably also have some alcohol.

I will probably eat too much as usual

"Todd" wrote in message ...

Hi All,

What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
decided yet and would love to know what you guys
are making!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thank you Cheri!

I have been cooking all the holiday meals for the last 25 years every year
and I go all out and am tired of turkey and ham which I can eat anytime of
the year and are low carb..

I want to be "naughty" two to three days a year...birthday..anniversary and
Christmas..

thanksgiving I eat a lot but its all low carb ..I even typically make low
carb pumpkin pie etc.

Anyhoo enjoy the holidays whatever you believe and do and may this next year
be the best year!

KROM

"Cheri" wrote ...

Good for you KROM. I'm burnt out too, but really, not any good Chinese
restaurants where I am, so I will have Prime Rib after all. It's easy and
very good. I will have some kind of squash with it, and I will splurge with
Yorkshire Pudding. I love that stuff and have it only a couple of times a
year. Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it and Happy Holidays to all,
including all holidays that fall in December.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
> decided yet and would love to know what you guys
> are making!
>
> -T

Pinnekjøtt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could be just
boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the salt.
Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for those who can
eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my mother-in-law about 46 years
ago and had it for Christmas ever since, except for one turkey dinner in the
US :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: Todd wrote:

: > Hi All,
: >

: Pinnekj?tt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
: Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
: then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could be just
: boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the salt.
: Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for those who can
: eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my mother-in-law about 46 years
: ago and had it for Christmas ever since, except for one turkey dinner in the
: US :-)
Personally,I never particularly like rutabega. My question is, we
sometimes call them Swedes in the US. How come they are also eaten in
Norway:-)

Also, any sauce with those lamb ribs or just plain, salty steamed?

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : Todd wrote:
>
> : > Hi All,
> : >
> : > What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
> : > decided yet and would love to know what you guys
> : > are making!
> : >
> : > -T
>
> : Pinnekj?tt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
> : Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
> : then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could be
> : just boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the salt.
> : Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for those who
> : can eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my mother-in-law about 46
> : years ago and had it for Christmas ever since, except for one turkey
> : dinner in the US :-)
> Personally,I never particularly like rutabega. My question is, we
> sometimes call them Swedes in the US. How come they are also eaten in
> Norway:-)

We also eat Berlinerkranser (small cookies) - Wienerbrød, which you call
Danish for about the same reason: introduced in Denmark by Austrian pastry
chefs :-)

KÃ¥lrabi has been grown here forever -"the orange of the North" because of
its Vitamin C content.

Some dialects name the bird Carduelis chloris a Swede :-)

> Also, any sauce with those lamb ribs or just plain, salty steamed?

Just plain. Some of the - I lack the word - the fluid in the bottom of the
pan is often served as a sauce.

> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> thank you Cheri!
>
> I have been cooking all the holiday meals for the last 25 years every year
> and I go all out and am tired of turkey and ham which I can eat anytime of
> the year and are low carb..
>
> I want to be "naughty" two to three days a year...birthday..anniversary
> and Christmas..
>
> thanksgiving I eat a lot but its all low carb ..I even typically make low
> carb pumpkin pie etc.
>
> Anyhoo enjoy the holidays whatever you believe and do and may this next
> year be the best year!

The sad part for me about holidays is that my unlimited food was the raw
veggies. Yes, I could get those any day. But we tended to have more
variety at holidays because we used the crystal dish on the Lazy Susan. One
different veggie for each compartment. Black and green olives on the side.
The olives were rationed but I don't know why.

When everyone else was eating their dessert, I'd be hoovering up the veggies
until someone (usually my dad) noticed what a pig I was being and put a stop
to it.

The last time I did such a thing was on Easter. I was on the raw vegan
diet. I did bring some onion bread sandwiches, nacho nut cheese and stuffed
baby vegetables but also a huge salad for myself.

I ate it and began to feel unwell. Sent Angela for a bucket or something.
And sure enough, my stomach began revolting and didn't let up for several
hours. My parents thought I would never make it home and frankly neither
did I. I felt like I had been throwing up things I hadn't even eaten yet!

So... Now holiday meals to me are not much different than any other. We
will have Crescent rolls because I bought a case at Costco. We don't
normally eat rolls although I have been buying them more frequently. I've
been trying to have a lot of soup for dinner and the others might have that
or salad. So overall low carb so, I am taking advantage of the cheap and
free bread and rolls I can find. Have been getting small loaves for free at
Target. One is enough for a meal and then enough for one person to have
some the following day.

I do have some red and green jelly candies and I may eat a couple of those.
Or may not. Depends on my BG and if I feel like eating them or not. I
can't eat most other desserts even if I wanted to. They would make me sick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

> On 12/21/2013 12:47 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>> Todd wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
>>> decided yet and would love to know what you guys
>>> are making!
>>>
>>> -T

>> Pinnekjøtt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446

[snip]

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> Thank you!
>
> Way over my head though.
>
> Since being inducted into the pin cushion
> clubs, my tastes changes and I suddenly can't
> stand lamb and I have such fond memories as
> a child smelling it cooking at Christmas.
>
> How does it taste?

I can't describe it - but it's very different from fresh lamb, as in roast
leg of lamb, for example. I don't know - more gamey? And a very different
consistency, something like pulled pork.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Actually I meant since people like me do the observant thing on the 24th
...the 25th is just a day to eat and enjoy company and eat too much and since
there's too much food its better to share with friends...regardless of their
faiths.

I wasnt calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
friends to eat..period.

this year as I've said before I will be ordering Chinese and not caring
about glucose levels for one day.

I know ya meant well.... but it was a bit irksome to say she HAD to do
something for the day instead of just saying your sure her friends would
love to have her if she wanted a good meal just as I'm sure she invites
friends over for meals despite their faiths.

I know you get excited about things like the holiday and diabetic control
but you can lean a bit to preachy and that turns people off....since not
everyone shares the same views.

anyhoo enjoy the holidays Todd...hope yours goes well

KROM

"Todd" wrote...

KROM states it very nicely. If you are not going to eat
(Kosher and Diabetic) with Christian friends, at least invite
your kids over for one of those lovely chickens you cook.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Well said KROM. Merry Christamas to you and yours.

Cheri

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> Actually I meant since people like me do the observant thing on the 24th
> ..the 25th is just a day to eat and enjoy company and eat too much and
> since there's too much food its better to share with friends...regardless
> of their faiths.
>
> I wasnt calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
> friends to eat..period.
>
> this year as I've said before I will be ordering Chinese and not caring
> about glucose levels for one day.
>
> I know ya meant well.... but it was a bit irksome to say she HAD to do
> something for the day instead of just saying your sure her friends would
> love to have her if she wanted a good meal just as I'm sure she invites
> friends over for meals despite their faiths.
>
> I know you get excited about things like the holiday and diabetic control
> but you can lean a bit to preachy and that turns people off....since not
> everyone shares the same views.
>
> anyhoo enjoy the holidays Todd...hope yours goes well
>
> KROM
>

> "Todd" wrote...
>
> KROM states it very nicely. If you are not going to eat
> (Kosher and Diabetic) with Christian friends, at least invite
> your kids over for one of those lovely chickens you cook.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> Well said KROM. Merry Christamas to you and yours.
>
> Cheri

Scratch the extra "a" :-)

> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> Actually I meant since people like me do the observant thing on the 24th
>> ..the 25th is just a day to eat and enjoy company and eat too much and
>> since there's too much food its better to share with friends...regardless
>> of their faiths.
>>
>> I wasnt calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
>> friends to eat..period.
>>
>> this year as I've said before I will be ordering Chinese and not caring
>> about glucose levels for one day.
>>
>> I know ya meant well.... but it was a bit irksome to say she HAD to do
>> something for the day instead of just saying your sure her friends would
>> love to have her if she wanted a good meal just as I'm sure she invites
>> friends over for meals despite their faiths.
>>
>> I know you get excited about things like the holiday and diabetic
>> control but you can lean a bit to preachy and that turns people
>> off....since not everyone shares the same views.
>>
>> anyhoo enjoy the holidays Todd...hope yours goes well
>>
>> KROM
>>

>> "Todd" wrote...
>>
>> KROM states it very nicely. If you are not going to eat
>> (Kosher and Diabetic) with Christian friends, at least invite
>> your kids over for one of those lovely chickens you cook.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: >
: > : Pinnekj?tt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
: > : Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
: > : then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could be
: > : just boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the salt.
: > : Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for those who
: > : can eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my mother-in-law about 46
: > : years ago and had it for Christmas ever since, except for one turkey
: > : dinner in the US :-)
: > Personally,I never particularly like rutabega. My question is, we
: > sometimes call them Swedes in the US. How come they are also eaten in
: > Norway:-)

: We also eat Berlinerkranser (small cookies) - Wienerbr?d, which you call
: Danish for about the same reason: introduced in Denmark by Austrian pastry
: chefs :-)

I like the international or at least inte-European flavor to those
things:-)
aren't Berliner Krantz the little round cookies with , wht looks like a
girls hat in frosting on top? Kid of white wit blue streamers?

I di dnot know about the Danish pastry, which I used to enjoy when well
made. I tried it once, and what a pain withall the rolling, folding ,
refrigeratinge, rollings, adding butter, folding, etc until it is all
wonderful flakes. I did not know it came form austrian bakers, but I do
know that Austirian bakers can make remarkable pastres which I can't
eat:-(

: K?lrabi has been grown here forever -"the orange of the North" because of

:
: > Also, any sauce with those lamb ribs or just plain, salty steamed?

: Just plain. Some of the - I lack the word - the fluid in the bottom of the
: pan is often served as a sauce.

Pan juices would work. Do you add any herbs or other flavorings to this
besides all that salt in the lamb ribs?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 12/21/2013 12:47 PM, Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: > Todd wrote:
: >
: >> Hi All,
: >>
: >> What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
: >> decided yet and would love to know what you guys
: >> are making!
: >>
: >> -T
: >
: > Pinnekj?tt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
: > Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
: > then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could be just
: > boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the salt.
: > Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for those who can
: > eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my mother-in-law about 46 years
: > ago and had it for Christmas ever since, except for one turkey dinner in the
: > US :-)

: Hi Bj?rn,

: Thank you!

: Way over my head though.

: Since being inducted into the pin cushion
: clubs, my tastes changes and I suddenly can't
: stand lamb and I have such fond memories as
: a child smelling it cooking at Christmas.

: How does it taste?

: -T

Lambmay be a bit fatty but you include fat in your diet. why did it seem
to go out of favor with you when you changed your diet for diabetes? I
love lamb chops, but ,well, they cost a pretty penny. Lamb stew is also
great.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
> I wasnt calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
> friends to eat..period.

That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
to be alone on Christmas?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
>> I wasnt calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
>> friends to eat..period.

> That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
> Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
> secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
> your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
> out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
> involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
> to be alone on Christmas?

Maybe to you, Christmas is a time for a lot of people to get together. It
isn't for me or my family. Just because you think something should be that
way, doesn't mean others think that way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:02:23 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> wrote:

>On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
>> I wasn’t calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
>> friends to eat..period.

>That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
>Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
>secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
>your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
>out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
>involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
>to be alone on Christmas?

Do you not understand? For a non Christian it is just another day.
It isn't like being alone on a holiday. It is not a holiday for
Wendy. You really are being insensitive.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/22/2013 8:31 PM, Todd wrote:

> Virtually everyone around you will be celebrating
> with loved ones and I did not want you to be lonely.

Could you be any more insufferable? If you look up "pompous ass" in the
dictionary I would expect to see your photo beside it.

You show an impressive amount of ignorance in lifestyles that aren't
within your own little world. You need to get out more.

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
: > I wasn?t calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
: > friends to eat..period.

: That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
: Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
: secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
: your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
: out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
: involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
: to be alone on Christmas?
You are celebrating something that has caused a great deal of pain to Jews
over the millenia. We really don't want to share your holiday, bt, at
this time, some 70 or so years after the hend of the Holocaust, we are
happy you are enjoying your holiday, with all its religious and secular
aspects, but do let us enjoy our own and we can have nice and happy meals
together on totally secular dys and on occasions like the US thanksgiving
which really is clelebrated as E Pluribus Unem with a central turkey adn
side dishes form many of the cultures that have become part of the US over
the centuries.

New Years eve and Day are also time we can celebrate together or even just
a Monday night in january when it is dark early and cold, so good
companionship adn shared food and drink woudl be welcome.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/23/2013 8:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
> : > I wasn?t calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
> : > friends to eat..period.
>
> : That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
> : Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
> : secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
> : your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
> : out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
> : involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
> : to be alone on Christmas?
> You are celebrating something that has caused a great deal of pain to Jews
> over the millenia. We really don't want to share your holiday, bt, at
> this time, some 70 or so years after the hend of the Holocaust, we are
> happy you are enjoying your holiday, with all its religious and secular
> aspects, but do let us enjoy our own and we can have nice and happy meals
> together on totally secular dys and on occasions like the US thanksgiving
> which really is clelebrated as E Pluribus Unem with a central turkey adn
> side dishes form many of the cultures that have become part of the US over
> the centuries.
>
> New Years eve and Day are also time we can celebrate together or even just
> a Monday night in january when it is dark early and cold, so good
> companionship adn shared food and drink woudl be welcome.
>
> Wendy

My thoughts on Christmas

We have had dinner with Christian friends on Christmas, but it's not a
holiday we celebrate in our home. When we are with our friends we are
really celebrating being with them and not their holiday. Most of them
aren't celebrating in any religious manner anyway. We send them
Christmas cards and we wish people a Merry Christmas, because we
recognize their holiday.

I find very little religion in Christmas as its celebrated in the US.
It seems to be getting more and more commercially oriented every year.
I do like the music (the best selling Christmas song was written by an
immigrant Jew) and I fondly recall the spirit of peace on earth and
goodwill to mankind that seems to have gotten lost in the scramble for
bargains on Black Friday at the stores.

When I was a teenager living near NYC, we used to go to St. Patrick's
Cathedral on Christmas Eve and stand outside during midnight mass where
speakers broadcast the beautiful music. None of us were Catholic or even
Christian for that matter, but we appreciated the "concert" for it's
musical value.

When Wendy and I celebrate holidays, there is *always* an element of
religious practice involved. Even Chanukah, which has taken on a lot
more importance than it really has, is celebrated by lighting candles
every night and saying special blessings, in Hebrew, as we light them.
The kids, who are expecting gifts, know that they come after, the
candles are lit and the religious portion of the holiday is observed.

Christianity, historically, has not been kind to the rest of the world
and anyone who forgets the forced conversions, murder and evil treatment
of those who did not adhere to the Church is denying history just as
many Muslims deny the Holocaust. Wendy's feelings are very understandable.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:02:23 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> > wrote:
>
>>On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
>>> I wasn't calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
>>> friends to eat..period.

>>That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
>>Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
>>secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
>>your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
>>out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
>>involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
>>to be alone on Christmas?
>>

> Do you not understand? For a non Christian it is just another day.
> It isn't like being alone on a holiday. It is not a holiday for
> Wendy. You really are being insensitive.

Thanks! You summed it up a lot better than I did. I think I was just so
****ed off that I kept on rambling.

But it reminded me of those people who get ticked off when stores are open
on holidays. They say that everyone deserves a day off! I guess they are
forgetting that tons of people from health care to military to law officers
must work on holidays. And people who work in stores generally know that
they won't get to choose their days off and some of them even WANT to work
on holidays. Maybe they want the extra money they are likely to be paid.
Or maybe even if they do celebrate the holiday, they are alone where they
live and would rather just work to take their mind off of their family. Or
maybe like you said, to them it is just another day.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
>> I know ya meant well.... but it was a bit irksome to say she HAD to do
>> something for the day instead of just saying your sure her friends would
>> love to have her if she wanted a good meal just as I'm sure she invites
>> friends over for meals despite their faiths.

> Hi Krom,
>
> I really was only suggesting not commanding. You know how
> friends say "you have to ..." only a suggestion, not a
> command. You said the same thing I was trying to say,
> only did not manager to offend anyone. My writing
> must really suck. :'(
>
> You and your family have a blessed and loving Merry Christmas.
>
> -T
>
> I am somewhat afraid to wish the rest of you one, but, what the hell,
> here goes, have a Blessed and Loving Merry Christmas.

Friends say, "You have to..."? Mine don't. They might say things like,
"Have you tried...?" But they would never tell me that I had to do something
unless I really had to. Like... "You have to move! There's a car coming!"
But in that case they likely would just say, "Move!" in a freaked out
fashion.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
> : W. Baker wrote:
> : >
> : > : Pinnekj?tt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
> : > : Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
> : > : then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could
> : > : be just boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the
> : > : salt. Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for
> : > : those who can eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my
> : > : mother-in-law about 46 years ago and had it for Christmas ever
> : > : since, except for one turkey dinner in the US :-)
> : > Personally,I never particularly like rutabega. My question is, we
> : > sometimes call them Swedes in the US. How come they are also eaten in
> : > Norway:-)
>
> : We also eat Berlinerkranser (small cookies) - Wienerbr?d, which you call
> : Danish for about the same reason: introduced in Denmark by Austrian
> : pastry chefs :-)
>

> I like the international or at least inte-European flavor to those
> things:-)
> aren't Berliner Krantz the little round cookies with , wht looks like a
> girls hat in frosting on top? Kid of white wit blue streamers?

Our version is a cookie formed into a Q- or omega-shape - no frosting.

> :
> : > Also, any sauce with those lamb ribs or just plain, salty steamed?
>
> : Just plain. Some of the - I lack the word - the fluid in the bottom of
> : the pan is often served as a sauce.
>
> Pan juices would work. Do you add any herbs or other flavorings to this
> besides all that salt in the lamb ribs?

Thanks, both of you - no, maybe some preserved pumpkin (diced, boiled with a
little vinegar and a piece of ginger. Always homemade, never saw it in
stores)

14:00 - down to check on the steaming of the pinnekjøtt. Grandchildren and
other guests have had the traditional "rice pudding" risgrøt, with raspberry
juice drink, Ronja got the almond. I tested before eating, 7.2 - oops.
Better build a salad instead. The rice would have sent it sky high.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Maybe to you, Christmas is a time for a lot of people to get together. It
> isn't for me or my family. Just because you think something should be
> that way, doesn't mean others think that way.

That could be said for any celebration, so people should never post about
any celebration because others might not be celebrating? Give me a break,
and December 25th is CHRISTMAS which over 2 billion people celebrate so of
course it will be talked about.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message

I have decided not to read any of you until after Christmas, except Susan,
since this whole thing has turned into a ****ing match with one versus the
other. I won't have it!!!

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 09:59:16 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>"Todd" > wrote in message
>
>I have decided not to read any of you until after Christmas, except Susan,
>since this whole thing has turned into a ****ing match with one versus the
>other. I won't have it!!!
>
>Cheri

Sorry Cheri. I want to say though, Merry Christmas from one Central
Valley resident to another. The weather is supposed to be lovely.
Low 60's and sunny.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> Maybe to you, Christmas is a time for a lot of people to get together.
>> It isn't for me or my family. Just because you think something should be
>> that way, doesn't mean others think that way.

> That could be said for any celebration, so people should never post about
> any celebration because others might not be celebrating? Give me a break,
> and December 25th is CHRISTMAS which over 2 billion people celebrate so of
> course it will be talked about.

That's not it at all. My point was that just because *you* do something,
don't assume we all do it! And by you, I don't mean you, Cheri because you
didn't do it. And it was really uncalled for to insist that Wendy do what he
does!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > Todd > wrote:
[...]

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Thanks, Janet. I sit here listening to WKCR(columbis University's radio
station) playing the music of JS Bach everyday fro last Saturday through
New years. I listen to the istrument and the volca music and absolutely
adore it! Musch of the vocal is christian, but I am not listening to the
wrods as such, but the glorious music that , whether secular or religious,
lifts my spirit and soul and makes me thin of my wonderful husband, who
played musch of this music and loved it as I do.

One doesn't cut off onself formt eh rest of the country by not observign
Christmas, even in its secular forms of intense shopping ocnpetitiona,
coking and drinkin orgies, etc. I prefer to leave it to others who have
some connectin to te original meaning of the holiday.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>
> I have decided not to read any of you until after Christmas, except
> Susan, since this whole thing has turned into a ****ing match with
> one versus the other. I won't have it!!!

that's the spirit
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like it I feel like the highlander!...or scotty from star trek..

"I cannae do eet captain!..she's abouuuut to blooooow!"

lol

KROM

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> Well said KROM. Merry Christamas to you and yours.
>
> Cheri

Scratch the extra "a" :-)

> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> Actually I meant since people like me do the observant thing on the 24th
>> ..the 25th is just a day to eat and enjoy company and eat too much and
>> since there's too much food its better to share with friends...regardless
>> of their faiths.
>>
>> I wasnt calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
>> friends to eat..period.
>>
>> this year as I've said before I will be ordering Chinese and not caring
>> about glucose levels for one day.
>>
>> I know ya meant well.... but it was a bit irksome to say she HAD to do
>> something for the day instead of just saying your sure her friends would
>> love to have her if she wanted a good meal just as I'm sure she invites
>> friends over for meals despite their faiths.
>>
>> I know you get excited about things like the holiday and diabetic
>> control but you can lean a bit to preachy and that turns people
>> off....since not everyone shares the same views.
>>
>> anyhoo enjoy the holidays Todd...hope yours goes well
>>
>> KROM
>>

>> "Todd" wrote...
>>
>> KROM states it very nicely. If you are not going to eat
>> (Kosher and Diabetic) with Christian friends, at least invite
>> your kids over for one of those lovely chickens you cook.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you just come across preachy sometimes ..its probably just the excitement
you feel on these topics

anyhoo I had lo mein and gen tso chicken and spicy beef filled wontons and
chicken wings.

not all at once cause it was a lot of food..lol

hope yours was good too

KROM

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
> I wasnt calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
> friends to eat..period.

That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
to be alone on Christmas?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Happy beginning of Kwanzaa!!! Sounds like you had a good Christmas.

Cheri

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> well I had my yummy Chinese and some neighbor snow blowed my driveway and
> sidewalk after the snow fall we had...was a good day
>
> :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:13:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
>>> I wasn’t calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
>>> friends to eat..period.

>> That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
>> Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
>> secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
>> your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
>> out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
>> involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
>> to be alone on Christmas?

>Maybe to you, Christmas is a time for a lot of people to get together. It
>isn't for me or my family. Just because you think something should be that
>way, doesn't mean others think that way.

Maybe you would benefit from spending Christmas or any or day at a
homeless shelter.

Maybe not.

But as long as every day is always about you, you will never know.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:13:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
>>> Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
>>> secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
>>> your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
>>> out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
>>> involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
>>> to be alone on Christmas?

>>Maybe to you, Christmas is a time for a lot of people to get together. It
>>isn't for me or my family. Just because you think something should be
>>that
>>way, doesn't mean others think that way.
>>>

> Maybe you would benefit from spending Christmas or any or day at a
> homeless shelter.
>
> Maybe not.
>
> But as long as every day is always about you, you will never know.

Uh... Wha? I'm not even a Christian! What in the heck are you talking
about? And why would I want to go to a homeless shelter?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 15:56:52 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:13:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Maybe to you, Christmas is a time for a lot of people to get together. It
>>>isn't for me or my family. Just because you think something should be
>>>that
>>>way, doesn't mean others think that way.
>>>>

>> Maybe you would benefit from spending Christmas or any or day at a
>> homeless shelter.
>>
>> Maybe not.
>>
>> But as long as every day is always about you, you will never know.

>Uh... Wha? I'm not even a Christian! What in the heck are you talking
>about? And why would I want to go to a homeless shelter?

I am sure "you" would never know.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"I Don't Know U" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 15:56:52 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"I Don't Know" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:13:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> Maybe you would benefit from spending Christmas or any or day at a
>>> homeless shelter.
>>>
>>> Maybe not.
>>>
>>> But as long as every day is always about you, you will never know.

>>Uh... Wha? I'm not even a Christian! What in the heck are you talking
>>about? And why would I want to go to a homeless shelter?

> I am sure "you" would never know.

Whatever that means!