Old 20-12-2013, 06:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What's for Christmas Dinner?

Hi All,

What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
decided yet and would love to know what you guys
are making!

-T

Old 20-12-2013, 06:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/20/2013 10:33 AM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
decided yet and would love to know what you guys
are making!

-T

Don't worry. I don't know where any of you live.
I won't be showing up on your doorstep. :-)

Old 20-12-2013, 07:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have a couple days off a year from worrying about diabetes and Christmas
is one of them.

I will be eating Chinese takeout as a special treat since I dont ever get
to eat it with wontons and rice and noodles.

traditionally I make a ham and faux mashed potato's and Brussels for the
wife.

then id make a dessert of some sort and not care about the carbs for
Christmas only.

but this year I'm going rogue and doing Chinese because I'm sick of cooking
every year..this year I'm relaxing.

KROM

Old 20-12-2013, 10:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
decided yet and would love to know what you guys
are making!

We still haven't made set in stone plans but here's what I have so far.

Red White and Black Salad. This is radishes, celery and olives with a lemon
dressing.

Pink Bean and Celery Soup.

Pasta with Fried Garlic. Am making this for husband but Angela might try
it.

Crescent Rolls.

Assorted fancy cheeses.

It is likely that Angela will opt for another form of beans or other
protein. And I will likely have some other vegetables as well. Probably
raw ones.

Old 21-12-2013, 02:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote in message ...
I have a couple days off a year from worrying about diabetes and Christmas
is one of them.

I will be eating Chinese takeout as a special treat since I dont ever
get to eat it with wontons and rice and noodles.

traditionally I make a ham and faux mashed potato's and Brussels for the
wife.

then id make a dessert of some sort and not care about the carbs for
Christmas only.

but this year I'm going rogue and doing Chinese because I'm sick of
cooking every year..this year I'm relaxing.

KROM

Good for you KROM. I'm burnt out too, but really, not any good Chinese
restaurants where I am, so I will have Prime Rib after all. It's easy and
very good. I will have some kind of squash with it, and I will splurge with
Yorkshire Pudding. I love that stuff and have it only a couple of times a
year. Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it and Happy Holidays to all,
including all holidays that fall in December.

Cheri

Old 21-12-2013, 03:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pretty hot at the moment so I am going for cold stuff. I have two
marinated chickens in the freezer to cook on Tuesday. Son's girlfriend
bought home a half leg of ham last night from work as her Xmas bonus so
there will be hand-sliced leg ham as well. I am making Greek salad,
pasta salad and bean salad. I have cranberry and apples sauces. I will
buy fresh rolls Tuesday as my kids like rolls with that kind of meal.
For dessert I have a chocolate bavarian in the freezer, some good
quality ice-cream and long-life carton of vanilla custard chilling. Also
some pre-sliced fruit cake with icing.

For nibblies I have dips, chips, crackers, nuts, lollies and chocolates
One son's girlfriend wants to make chocolate balls - probs Mars Bar
balls or similar. I have bought a slab of Coke Zero, we mostly only
drink water so this is special Boys and the girlfriends/fiances etc.
will probably also have some alcohol.

I will probably eat too much as usual

Old 21-12-2013, 07:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

thank you Cheri!

I have been cooking all the holiday meals for the last 25 years every year
and I go all out and am tired of turkey and ham which I can eat anytime of
the year and are low carb..

I want to be "naughty" two to three days a year...birthday..anniversary and
Christmas..

thanksgiving I eat a lot but its all low carb ..I even typically make low
carb pumpkin pie etc.

Anyhoo enjoy the holidays whatever you believe and do and may this next year
be the best year!

KROM

"Cheri" wrote ...

Old 21-12-2013, 08:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

Hi All,

What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
decided yet and would love to know what you guys
are making!

-T

Pinnekjøtt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could be just
boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the salt.
Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for those who can
eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my mother-in-law about 46 years
ago and had it for Christmas ever since, except for one turkey dinner in the
US :-)

Old 21-12-2013, 10:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: Todd wrote:

: Hi All,
:

: Pinnekj?tt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446
: Skip the text, just see the picture. Salted, dried lamb ribs-
: then soaked for a day or so. Steamed, not boiled, although it could be just
: boiled if it hasn't been soaked to get out (most of) the salt.
: Mashed rutabaga/kohlrabi is always on the side, potatoes for those who can
: eat them (not me). Was introduced to it by my mother-in-law about 46 years
: ago and had it for Christmas ever since, except for one turkey dinner in the
: US :-)
Personally,I never particularly like rutabega. My question is, we
sometimes call them Swedes in the US. How come they are also eaten in
Norway:-)

Also, any sauce with those lamb ribs or just plain, salty steamed?

Wendy

Old 22-12-2013, 09:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: Todd wrote:

: Hi All,
:
[...]

We also eat Berlinerkranser (small cookies) - Wienerbrød, which you call
Danish for about the same reason: introduced in Denmark by Austrian pastry
chefs :-)

Kålrabi has been grown here forever -"the orange of the North" because of
its Vitamin C content.

Some dialects name the bird Carduelis chloris a Swede :-)

Also, any sauce with those lamb ribs or just plain, salty steamed?

Just plain. Some of the - I lack the word - the fluid in the bottom of the
pan is often served as a sauce.

Wendy

Old 23-12-2013, 09:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote in message ...
thank you Cheri!

I have been cooking all the holiday meals for the last 25 years every year
and I go all out and am tired of turkey and ham which I can eat anytime of
the year and are low carb..

I want to be "naughty" two to three days a year...birthday..anniversary
and Christmas..

thanksgiving I eat a lot but its all low carb ..I even typically make low
carb pumpkin pie etc.

Anyhoo enjoy the holidays whatever you believe and do and may this next
year be the best year!

The sad part for me about holidays is that my unlimited food was the raw
veggies. Yes, I could get those any day. But we tended to have more
variety at holidays because we used the crystal dish on the Lazy Susan. One
different veggie for each compartment. Black and green olives on the side.
The olives were rationed but I don't know why.

When everyone else was eating their dessert, I'd be hoovering up the veggies
until someone (usually my dad) noticed what a pig I was being and put a stop
to it.

The last time I did such a thing was on Easter. I was on the raw vegan
diet. I did bring some onion bread sandwiches, nacho nut cheese and stuffed
baby vegetables but also a huge salad for myself.

I ate it and began to feel unwell. Sent Angela for a bucket or something.
And sure enough, my stomach began revolting and didn't let up for several
hours. My parents thought I would never make it home and frankly neither
did I. I felt like I had been throwing up things I hadn't even eaten yet!

So... Now holiday meals to me are not much different than any other. We
will have Crescent rolls because I bought a case at Costco. We don't
normally eat rolls although I have been buying them more frequently. I've
been trying to have a lot of soup for dinner and the others might have that
or salad. So overall low carb so, I am taking advantage of the cheap and
free bread and rolls I can find. Have been getting small loaves for free at
Target. One is enough for a meal and then enough for one person to have
some the following day.

I do have some red and green jelly candies and I may eat a couple of those.
Or may not. Depends on my BG and if I feel like eating them or not. I
can't eat most other desserts even if I wanted to. They would make me sick.

Old 23-12-2013, 12:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

On 12/21/2013 12:47 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
Todd wrote:

Hi All,

What are you cooking for Christmas dinner? I haven't
decided yet and would love to know what you guys
are making!

-T

Pinnekjøtt http://www.matsiden.no/artikkel_head.asp?a_id=446

[snip]

Hi Bjørn,

Thank you!

Way over my head though.

Since being inducted into the pin cushion
clubs, my tastes changes and I suddenly can't
stand lamb and I have such fond memories as
a child smelling it cooking at Christmas.

How does it taste?

I can't describe it - but it's very different from fresh lamb, as in roast
leg of lamb, for example. I don't know - more gamey? And a very different
consistency, something like pulled pork.

Old 23-12-2013, 07:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Actually I meant since people like me do the observant thing on the 24th
...the 25th is just a day to eat and enjoy company and eat too much and since
there's too much food its better to share with friends...regardless of their
faiths.

I wasnt calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
friends to eat..period.

this year as I've said before I will be ordering Chinese and not caring
about glucose levels for one day.

I know ya meant well.... but it was a bit irksome to say she HAD to do
something for the day instead of just saying your sure her friends would
love to have her if she wanted a good meal just as I'm sure she invites
friends over for meals despite their faiths.

I know you get excited about things like the holiday and diabetic control
but you can lean a bit to preachy and that turns people off....since not
everyone shares the same views.

anyhoo enjoy the holidays Todd...hope yours goes well

KROM

"Todd" wrote...

KROM states it very nicely. If you are not going to eat
(Kosher and Diabetic) with Christian friends, at least invite
your kids over for one of those lovely chickens you cook.

Old 23-12-2013, 07:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
Well said KROM. Merry Christamas to you and yours.

Cheri

Scratch the extra "a" :-)