Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default newbie to T2

Hi Folks.....recently diagnosed...trying my hardest to get it under control....on Metformin and Glipizine......spikes and crashes nearly every day....just looking for some help....thanx
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jeffrey J Howland" > wrote in message
> Hi Folks.....recently diagnosed...trying my hardest to get it under
> control....on Metformin and Glipizine......spikes and crashes nearly every
> day....just looking for some help....thanx

What are you eating? Give us sample menus of breakfast, lunch, dinner,
snacks and the approx. amounts of each food. That could be the culprit.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/22/2013 3:29 PM, Jeffrey J Howland wrote:
> Hi Folks.....recently diagnosed...trying my hardest to get it under control....on Metformin and Glipizine......spikes and crashes nearly every day....just looking for some help....thanx

Cut down on carbohydrates. Go to the store and buy yourself a
carb-counter book.

Ask your doctor to send you to diabetes education. This is where you
learn about carbs and meal plans. Always eat less carbs than the ADA
diet allows.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jeffrey J Howland > wrote:
> Hi Folks.....recently diagnosed...trying my hardest to get it under
> control....on Metformin and Glipizine......spikes and crashes nearly
> every day....just looking for some help....thanx

Hi Jeffrey.

Got a golucometer? Check you FBG (fasting blood glucose) as soon as you get
up, before you let any food pass your lips. Target is between 80 and 100
mg/dL.

Check after eating. One hour after you started eating tells you the effect
of various food; two hour target is below 120.

You might also visit alt.support.diabetes.

Where are you? Age? Weight? Diet? Exercise? Etc.
Nice to meet you. Sorry it's here.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/23/2013 03:14 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> Got a golucometer?

My favorite is Walmart's Relion Micro. The supplies are
reasonably prices too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Relion-Mic...r-1ct/19276256

Welcome to the "Pin Cushion Club"!

You have to start reading labels for carbs. A couple of
things to be aware of, as our labeling laws have a lot
to be desired.

1) If the carbs are lower than 1 gram, they are allowed
to put zero on the label. This is why you will see
ridiculously low serving sizes (200 servings! my ...)

2) Maltodextrin, or liar's glucose, explodes into
glucose the second it hits your system. It even has a
higher glycemic index that does glucose itself. And,
due to a loop hole in the labeling law, it is not
counted as a carbohydrate.

And, read this article about traditional medicine and
Diabetes:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3276479
Hypoglycemic effect of Opuntia streptacantha Lemaire in NIDDM

Made a huge difference for me. Cut my Met in half and
got rid of a lot of the other symptoms. You can get it in
pill form. Here is the one I take:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swans...50-mg-180-caps

But it is more fun to cook it!

Ands, most important, make cooking fun. That way you will
never be tempted to poison yourself with carbs again.
You can even make pizza in low carb!

-T

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Howland View Post
Hi Folks.....recently diagnosed...trying my hardest to get it under control....on Metformin and Glipizine......spikes and crashes nearly every day....just looking for some help....thanx
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis but can assure its very survivable. Got several pals and palettes who are also afflicted. Why I aint got it...I cant figure out..lol. I should have it according to the stats. Sounds like your getting some great advice from the pros. I can only try to offer a tip or two. Controlling the carbs is the key. I read an article one time that showed tests on resting glucose levels go up after eating a baked potato just the same as a big 3 Musketeer candy bar. So the starches apparently turns directly into sugar without much ado. For sweetening things up grab yourself some food grade all veggie Glycerine. NOW Brand is the best I have found..high in the health shoppes..much cheaper online. Do not buy the junk Wally World peddles. It has the same consistency as warm honey and is about 2/3 as sweet as sucrose table sugar. Do not give the familiar old somebody pooed in the mouth after taste of sugar substitutes. Best news it will not move your glucose levels at all. Bunch of folks are using it for that purpose. Also drink two cups green tea each day which has a teaspoons of cinnamon in it. I use honey but I aint T2..if I was I would follow my own always good advice and snag the Glycerine. Cinnamon is supposed to have some nice effects on glucose levels. Chromium Picolonate (sic?) is a great choice for regulating carb absorption..so get some of that too. Best of fortunes on whupping that pesky new ailment. Also..dont drink any alcohol. Find a nice friendly hippie and grab yourself some a little Acapulco Gold..lol Be careful with the Meds. Doctors are in the bizness to kill folks ya know? Turmeric/Curcumin seems to able to cure anything. Get some of that too. PS Edit: If you really want to kick this condition in the head go over to the link below and do a public confession. Tell them you are a sick and evil carnivore and white flour eater who is ready to repent and is in of somebody to smarten them up a bit. Few wackos over there but mostly nice folks. Now I will vote for one pig out day each week to get the B. Vitamins. That strategy worked well for me but the hardcore types dont like it..lol. Do you have a sprouter?

Living and Raw Foods Community Support

Last edited by bigwheel : 24-05-2013 at 12:27 AM
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

bigwheel > wrote:
: to offer a tip or two. Controlling the carbs is the key. I read an
: article one time that showed tests on resting glucose levels go up after
: eating a baked potato just the same as a big 3 Musketeer candy bar. So
: the starches apparently turns directly into sugar without much ado. For
: sweetening things up grab yourself some food grade all veggie Glycerine.
: NOW Brand is the best I have found..high in the health shoppes..much
: cheaper online. Do not buy the junk Wally World peddles. It has the same
: consistency as warm honey and is about 2/3 as sweet as sucrose table
: sugar. Do not give the familiar old somebody pooed in the mouth after
: taste of sugar substitutes. Best news it will not move your glucose
: levels at all. Bunch of folks are using it for that purpose. Also drink

To sweeten stuff I use either Splemda(sucralose) or Equal and it's generic
twins sold as store brans of aspertane. Some like the Stevia products.
ecachof our body chemistries vary so these can vary in taste from person
to person as to sweetening power, off or bitter tastes, etc, but I have
found mine:-) There are some very potent liquid sucalose available mostly
on the web. I got some once but have lost the website addy. These are
incredibly strong, so , like the old Brylcreem adds used to say a ltlle
drop'll do ya. Actually I think that ws a dab:-)

Carbs are the probem all right! watch and count them like a hawk. I am
on sm emedication, Metfomin and 1 mg of glimperide at night and eat what I
term a moderate carb diet of 50-100 grams a day. Some here eat less adn
some more.

As didifferent foods affect different people differently, we have to find
what we, as individuals can eat. to do this you need to test lots and
lots in the early days weks, months, but testing before and at 1 and 2
hours after each meal. If you get a hgh number after a meal-for me above
140 at 1 hour and 120 at 2, I try to figure what carb was in the food and
either eliminate it or try half the amount the next time you eat it. With
this system you will find what you can and can't eat as well as what you
can have a small amount of.

After you have digested all our advice, come back and we can help you find
interesting ways to change dishes you may like to fit a dibetic way of
eating. Remember you are not on a diet , but you are finding a new way of
eating(WOE) tat you will live with for the rest of your(hopefully) long
life.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/24/2013 10:50 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> After you have digested all our advice, come back and we can help you find
> interesting ways to change dishes you may like to fit a dibetic way of
> eating. Remember you are not on a diet , but you are finding a new way of
> eating(WOE) tat you will live with for the rest of your(hopefully) long
> life.
>
> Wendy

Hi Jeffrey,

Wendy nailed that one on the head. Do not think of this
as a diet. You can eat all the fat and meat you want.
(Stay away from processed meat). And make cooking fun.

Do you have a barbecue? No "Real" man can resist flames
and searing flesh on the grill. You are going to have a
blast with this!

-T
Banned

Location: Canada

What are you eating? Provide us with example choices of morning meal, lunchtime, supper, snacks and the approximately. quantities of each meals. That could be the root cause.

pest services Brisbane

Last edited by judy32 : 05-07-2013 at 05:03 PM

newbie craftydragon1951 General Cooking 22 04-04-2006 07:00 AM
Newbie Q's Bulletsnbrains Winemaking 6 13-03-2006 12:28 AM
A NEWBIE HERE!!!.... arem_29 Recipes 1 30-09-2005 03:54 PM
newbie following newbie pu er threads Lara Burton Tea 12 29-08-2005 05:26 PM