Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How to perk up an appetite?

Yes I know I have posted recently (perhaps in ASD and not here) about
feeling like I was starving and also craving chocolate. But now? I just
don't want to eat at all. Nothing sounds good to me. Nothing at all. I am
forcing myself to eat. I have not had any hypos in the past couple of days.
In fact most of my numbers have been normal, but... I did have to push
myself to eat a snack between meals. I feel if I did not do this I would
have actually had a hypo.

Yesterday we ate at my favorite Mexican place. I had the black bean soup
like I usually do. It is one of my favorite foods and it tasted very good.
But... I just didn't want to eat it!

Then for dinner we went to Outback Steakhouse. Now I must say this is a
place I would never want to eat at even if paid. I have put it off ever
since we moved here but my husband *really* wants to eat there. Angela and
I were planning to have his birthday there but now it looks like he might be
moving away again. Don't want to say too much since things are still up in
the air. Anyway... We were looking for a different place to eat and it is
tough to find places where Angela can get what she needs. And the Alice
Springs chicken with sweet potato fries fit the bill.

My husband really enjoyed his meal. So I guess that was good. Angela
picked the mushrooms and cheese off her food and I realized that I should
have ordered her the larger portion. The piece of chicken she got was like
4 bites. But other than that she enjoyed it.

My parents and I all had burgers. I had mine without the bun. But the meat
patty had absolutely no flavor to me and rather an off texture. It was as
though they had taken a pate style cat food and fried it in a patty or
something. My parents made no comment about their meal other than that it
wasn't as expensive as they thought it was going to be. But they didn't
finish their food either. We didn't have salads because they wanted almost
$15 for a wedge of lettuce that came with some other stuff that I would have
asked to be left off. So a rather dismal meal for me.

Tonight I made taco salads for dinner. Made the same exact ones last Sunday
and enjoyed mine. But tonight? I just didn't want to eat it. Kept putting
it off until I feared I might go hypo. I did manage to eat it but I didn't
enjoy it one bit.

I also had part of a bag of popcorn at Target. I find if I don't eat that I
will go hypo. But we do a lot of walking (a lot for me) on Sundays. Not
only did I not enjoy the popcorn but I didn't even enjoy the smell of it.
One of the first things I normally do when I walk into Target is sniff the
air to see if they have popcorn. I am always disappointed when the popcorn
machine is broken.

And now I am having to force myself to eat my snack. Nothing sounded good.
I made mashed potatoes. They don't taste good to me. They just taste salty
and they are made exactly like how I always make them. *sigh*

While the water for the potatoes was boiling I made a couple of pastrami
sandwiches for my husband. That seemed to even staunch my appetite further.
The pastrami smelled icky to me. Now granted I haven't eaten any since I
was in Jr. High. I went through one school year eating nothing but pastrami
sandwiches for lunch. So I did like it at one point. But apparently not
now.

I even had trouble coming up with a menu for the week and doing the grocery
shopping because literally nothing appealed to me.

Angela wasn't much help either. Her new thing is making smoothies that she
can consume. She is mainly using veggies. Tonight's had spinach and
cucumber. Some frozen berries, plain Greek yogurt and a little milk to thin
it down. As far as she is concerned she can eat smoothies three times a day
and doesn't need anything else.

I don't know how I got into this rut. Perhaps this is a sign that I am
getting sick or something? I do feel pretty good except for an itchy patch
of something on my forehead. Either psoriasis or eczema (I have both and
not sure which), an itchy bug bite on my wrist (probably spider) and I am
not liking our strangely high humidity. That is my new pet thing. Watching
the humidity. Seems it has been 76% or higher for weeks now. Currently at
88% and it feels quite muggy. Thankfully it's not hot. Just oddly damp.

I will keep forcing myself to eat because I know that I have to. But how
can I make myself *want* to eat?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

Just like your ravenous appetite recently, this too shall pass. It just
seems to all come and go with you.

There is a nice recipe for a dairy soup that Amge;la might ike.

Yogurt-Cucumber Soup(for one or two)

1C Plain Yougrt
1 small cuke
pinch salt
garlic(optional)
1 tsp chopped fress dill or mint
Squirt of freshlemon juice

Put in blender and whap. Serve , if esired, with some fresh mint leaved
on top.

Easy and delicious, particularly in the summer.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> at
> : 88% and it feels quite muggy. Thankfully it's not hot. Just oddly
> damp.
>
> : I will keep forcing myself to eat because I know that I have to. But
> how
> : can I make myself *want* to eat?
> Just like your ravenous appetite recently, this too shall pass. It just
> seems to all come and go with you.
>
> There is a nice recipe for a dairy soup that Amge;la might ike.
>
> Yogurt-Cucumber Soup(for one or two)
>
> 1C Plain Yougrt
> 1 small cuke
> pinch salt
> garlic(optional)
> 1 tsp chopped fress dill or mint
> Squirt of freshlemon juice
>
> Put in blender and whap. Serve , if esired, with some fresh mint leaved
> on top.
>
> Easy and delicious, particularly in the summer.

Thanks! I'll tell her.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I will keep forcing myself to eat because I know that I have to. But how
> can I make myself *want* to eat?

medical marijuana. has the added benefit of it might improve your personality
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Actually I was looking up side effects of Metoclopramide which I take for
gastroparesis and it can cause lack of appetite. I am stopping it as of
tonight so we'll see...

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> she can consume. She is mainly using veggies. Tonight's had spinach and
> cucumber. Some frozen berries, plain Greek yogurt and a little milk to
> thin it down. As far as she is concerned she can eat smoothies three
> times a day and doesn't need anything else.
>
> I don't know how I got into this rut. Perhaps this is a sign that I am
> getting sick or something? I do feel pretty good except for an itchy
> patch of something on my forehead. Either psoriasis or eczema (I have
> both and not sure which), an itchy bug bite on my wrist (probably spider)
> and I am not liking our strangely high humidity. That is my new pet
> thing. Watching the humidity. Seems it has been 76% or higher for weeks
> now. Currently at 88% and it feels quite muggy. Thankfully it's not hot.
> Just oddly damp.
>
> I will keep forcing myself to eat because I know that I have to. But how

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> [...]
> : the humidity. Seems it has been 76% or higher for weeks now. Currently at
> : 88% and it feels quite muggy. Thankfully it's not hot. Just oddly damp.
>
> : I will keep forcing myself to eat because I know that I have to. But how
> : can I make myself *want* to eat?
> Just like your ravenous appetite recently, this too shall pass. It just
> seems to all come and go with you.
>
> There is a nice recipe for a dairy soup that Amge;la might ike.
>
> Yogurt-Cucumber Soup(for one or two)
>
> 1C Plain Yougrt
> 1 small cuke
> pinch salt
> garlic(optional)
> 1 tsp chopped fress dill or mint
> Squirt of freshlemon juice
>
> Put in blender and whap. Serve , if esired, with some fresh mint leaved
> on top.
>
> Easy and delicious, particularly in the summer.

Looks nearly identical to the Tzatziki sauce for falafels. We will often
just salt the cucumbers for a couple of hours, and then thoroughly rinse
the cucumber to get the salt out, and eat as is. It is very refreshing.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: >
[...]

It is smilar, but thinner. the original recipe, which I cut down for
Angela, cal for a quart of plain yogurt and 2-4 cukes depending
on their size and no saltig of the cukes to reduce liquid in them. It
makes a mildly think soup, not a sauce. I imagine that if ou salted the
cukes first, then rinsed and drained and used a thick Greek yorut you
wouldcom closer t the tzatzoki sauce I first encountered in Greece, served
with string beans. It ws favored with mints and, of ocurse, garlic adn
lemon.(I got the recie from our wonderfu tour guide.)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Billy > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
> : >
> : > There is a nice recipe for a dairy soup that Amge;la might ike.
> : >
> : > Yogurt-Cucumber Soup(for one or two)
> : >
> : > 1C Plain Yougrt
> : > 1 small cuke
> : > pinch salt
> : > garlic(optional)
> : > 1 tsp chopped fress dill or mint
> : > Squirt of freshlemon juice
> : >
> : > Put in blender and whap. Serve , if esired, with some fresh mint leaved
> : > on top.
> : >
> : > Easy and delicious, particularly in the summer.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> : Looks nearly identical to the Tzatziki sauce for falafels. We will often
> : just salt the cucumbers for a couple of hours, and then thoroughly rinse
> : the cucumber to get the salt out, and eat as is. It is very refreshing.
>
> It is smilar, but thinner. the original recipe, which I cut down for
> Angela, cal for a quart of plain yogurt and 2-4 cukes depending
> on their size and no saltig of the cukes to reduce liquid in them. It
> makes a mildly think soup, not a sauce. I imagine that if ou salted the
> cukes first, then rinsed and drained and used a thick Greek yorut you
> wouldcom closer t the tzatzoki sauce I first encountered in Greece, served
> with string beans. It ws favored with mints and, of ocurse, garlic adn
> lemon.(I got the recie from our wonderfu tour guide.)
>
> Wendy

To be fair, I did say, "nearly". None the less, a very refreshing sauce,
that so far I've only used on falafels. Letting the Tzatziki sauce sit a
day or so does make the flavor better, IMHO.

I've not been to Greece. Is the the Tzatziki sauce regional, or
universal in Greece?

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
or
E Pluribus Unum
Green Party Nominee Jill Stein & Running Mate, Cheri Honkala
<http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/13/green_party_nominee_jill_stein_running>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Billy" > wrote in message
> Getting back to the Subject line.
>
> I'm "told" that cannabis can do wonders for poor appetites.

But it's expensive and IIRC it only ever did that to me once. Back in the
70's. I ate a whole platter of crab wontons. I don't even like crab.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Billy" > wrote in message
> > Getting back to the Subject line.
> >
> > I'm "told" that cannabis can do wonders for poor appetites.

> But it's expensive and IIRC it only ever did that to me once. Back in the
> 70's. I ate a whole platter of crab wontons. I don't even like crab.

Maybe a little chocolate to get you in the mood ;O)

Anyway, if your in a state that has it available for medical reasons you
might check it out. Remember, you're looking for a therapeutic dose.
More than that, and you risk having fun.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
or
E Pluribus Unum
Green Party Nominee Jill Stein & Running Mate, Cheri Honkala
<http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/13/green_party_nominee_jill_stein_running>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Billy" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Billy" > wrote in message
>> > Getting back to the Subject line.
>> >
>> > I'm "told" that cannabis can do wonders for poor appetites.

>> But it's expensive and IIRC it only ever did that to me once. Back in
>> the
>> 70's. I ate a whole platter of crab wontons. I don't even like crab.

> Maybe a little chocolate to get you in the mood ;O)

Ugh, no! Chocolate messes with my GERD so bad I wouldn't even dream of
eating it.

> Anyway, if your in a state that has it available for medical reasons you
> might check it out. Remember, you're looking for a therapeutic dose.
> More than that, and you risk having fun.

No. Not at all interested. I don't believe it is good for you.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> > Anyway, if your in a state that has it available for medical reasons you
> > might check it out. Remember, you're looking for a therapeutic dose.
> > More than that, and you risk having fun.

> No. Not at all interested. I don't believe it is good for you.

yeh, we know. the idea of having fun is repellant to you
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:

> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>

> > > Anyway, if your in a state that has it available for medical reasons you
> > > might check it out. Remember, you're looking for a therapeutic dose.
> > > More than that, and you risk having fun.

> > No. Not at all interested. I don't believe it is good for you.

> yeh, we know. the idea of having fun is repellant to you

Ah, a Calvinist!

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
or
E Pluribus Unum
Green Party Nominee Jill Stein & Running Mate, Cheri Honkala
<http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/13/green_party_nominee_jill_stein_running>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
Billy > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:

> > > No. Not at all interested. I don't believe it is good for you.

> > yeh, we know. the idea of having fun is repellant to you

> Ah, a Calvinist!

more a hobbesist

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Billy > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:

>> > yeh, we know. the idea of having fun is repellant to you

>> Ah, a Calvinist!

> more a hobbesist

No, Hobbes was a very good and happy tiger.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"pavane" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article
> > >,
> > Billy > wrote:

> >> Ah, a Calvinist!

> > more a hobbesist

> No, Hobbes was a very good and happy tiger.
>
> pavane

so am I
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"pavane" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article
> > >,
> > Billy > wrote:

> >> Ah, a Calvinist!

> > more a hobbesist

> No, Hobbes was a very good and happy tiger.
>
> pavane

Was??! What happened to him?

<http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes>

Whew, nothing, Gott Sei dank.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
or
E Pluribus Unum
Green Party Nominee Jill Stein & Running Mate, Cheri Honkala
<http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/13/green_party_nominee_jill_stein_running>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

A random troll...

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-bugged invalid.invalid> wrote:

> From: "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-bugged invalid.invalid>
> Newsgroups: alt.food.diabetic
> Subject: How to perk up an appetite?
> Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 23:30:12 -0700
> References: <juj6u1$l79$1 dont-email.me> <juk0f7$h9r$1 reader1.panix.com> <wildbilly-CFDA1C.11522629072012 c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au> <jv41ng$dh8$2 reader1.panix.com> <wildbilly-B4FF3A.14033903082012 c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au> <wildbilly-65CF6C.12373204082012 c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au> <jvpram$s05$1 dont-email.me> <wildbilly-4ACEEF.14042707082012 c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au> <jvs00a$obk$1 dont-email.me>
>
> In article <jvs00a$obk$1 dont-email.me>, "Julie Bove" <juliebove frontier.com>
> wrote:
>

>> > Anyway, if your in a state that has it available for medical reasons you
>> > might check it out. Remember, you're looking for a therapeutic dose.
>> > More than that, and you risk having fun.

>> No. Not at all interested. I don't believe it is good for you.

> yeh, we know. the idea of having fun is repellant to you

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, John Doe >
wrote:

> A random troll...

but at least you are proud of it

From: John Doe >
Newsgroups: alt.food.diabetic
Subject: How to perk up an appetite?
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 20:42:49 +0000 (UTC)

Overcoming appetite Phred General Cooking 0 04-12-2006 02:40 PM
Big meal, no appetite [email protected] General Cooking 17 20-05-2006 11:34 PM
Starter perk up hutchndi Sourdough 26 09-02-2006 09:37 AM
Loss of appetite Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 8 19-11-2005 12:36 AM
Appetite Turner William Boyd General Cooking 8 20-10-2005 04:25 PM