Old 20-06-2012, 02:00 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Another ban on Big Gulps!

This was just on the news tonight. Now in Cambridge MA. What is with this?
Too much like big brother to me and I don't like it. I don't even like
sugary or in the case of this country high fructose corn syrupy drinks to
begin with. Heck, I'm not even that big on juice because I don't think it's
all that healthy. Eat the whole fruit or veg! But I don't like this at
all.

What's next? Limiting the size of our pizza? No! You can't have a large.
You can only have the personal size and I am counting everyone in your
party! Limiting the amount of candy we can buy? Doing away with bulk
foods? Where does it end?

Old 20-06-2012, 02:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
This was just on the news tonight. Now in Cambridge MA. What is with
this? Too much like big brother to me and I don't like it. I don't even
like sugary or in the case of this country high fructose corn syrupy
drinks to begin with. Heck, I'm not even that big on juice because I
don't think it's all that healthy. Eat the whole fruit or veg! But I
don't like this at all.

What's next? Limiting the size of our pizza? No! You can't have a
large. You can only have the personal size and I am counting everyone in
your party! Limiting the amount of candy we can buy? Doing away with
bulk foods? Where does it end?

I don't like it either.

Cheri

Old 20-06-2012, 07:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , "Julie Bove"
wrote:

This was just on the news tonight. Now in Cambridge MA. What is with this?
Too much like big brother to me and I don't like it. I don't even like
sugary or in the case of this country high fructose corn syrupy drinks to
begin with. Heck, I'm not even that big on juice because I don't think it's
all that healthy. Eat the whole fruit or veg! But I don't like this at
all.

What's next? Limiting the size of our pizza? No! You can't have a large.
You can only have the personal size and I am counting everyone in your
party! Limiting the amount of candy we can buy? Doing away with bulk
foods? Where does it end?

As you don't express any reason why this bothers you, you know something like
freedom of choice or the right of everyone to die of diabetes or obesity, one
has to presume that this is yet another of your meaningless rants.
Old 22-06-2012, 04:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message

Personally, I don't like outright banning of the big-gulp size. However,
and this is a big however, I would like vendors to be required to sell a
single serving (i.e., a soda can typically is labeled as having 2
servings, so a single serving would be 8 oz) at a proportional price, so
that there is no economic incentive for ordering a huge soda (or juice,
or whatever).

It's not the banning of the Big Gulp that bothers me at all, I was never
much of a soda drinker even in the smallest size, now only ice water, but
it's just one more foot in the door with taking away personal choices IMO.
If they want to sell it in trash can sizes and people want to buy it...it's
not the governments business, and while we're at it, neither is their
interference in baseball! :-)

Cheri

Old 22-06-2012, 04:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" wrote in message

But clearly, we have different views of the appropriate role of
regulators. ;-)

Susan

Yes, I think we do. :-)

Old 22-06-2012, 05:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Cheri" wrote:

"Susan" wrote in message

But clearly, we have different views of the appropriate role of
regulators. ;-)

Susan

Yes, I think we do. :-)

Well, we do. But because of diabetes, we've had to learn to look at
labels and assess serving sizes. From an economic point of view, if 10
oz costs $0.95 and 20 oz costs $1.10, any rational actor is going to
reflexively choose the 20 oz size.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Old 22-06-2012, 06:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
: "Alice Faber" wrote in message
: ...

: Personally, I don't like outright banning of the big-gulp size. However,
: and this is a big however, I would like vendors to be required to sell a
: single serving (i.e., a soda can typically is labeled as having 2
: servings, so a single serving would be 8 oz) at a proportional price, so
: that there is no economic incentive for ordering a huge soda (or juice,
: or whatever).

: It's not the banning of the Big Gulp that bothers me at all, I was never
: much of a soda drinker even in the smallest size, now only ice water, but
: it's just one more foot in the door with taking away personal choices IMO.
: If they want to sell it in trash can sizes and people want to buy it...it's
: not the governments business, and while we're at it, neither is their
: interference in baseball! :-)

: Cheri

How do you feel about the State requirements to have automobile insurance?

Wendy

Old 23-06-2012, 12:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:
[...]

There is a LAW against driving without insurance. There is no law against
buying a large sized soda...yet!

Cheri

Old 23-06-2012, 03:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Cheri wrote:
: : "Alice Faber" wrote in message
: : ...
:
[...]

When we had only horses and buggies no one needed a driver's lisence.
When automobiles came in the government decided we needed lisences and
made a law that said(if you remember your book you got when first applying
for a learner's permit) Driving is a priviledge, not a right. to earn the
priviledge you have to pass a test and then continue to drive safely(not
too many tickets). What gave the government the right to pass that law?
We accepted it because it seemed clear that something was needed.

thisis where it starts, with someone getting a bright idea of how to save
the health of individuals and money (via the health care system) for the
citizens who have to pay the health care costs of the indigent.

Wendy

Old 23-06-2012, 05:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
When we had only horses and buggies no one needed a driver's lisence.
When automobiles came in the government decided we needed lisences and
made a law that said(if you remember your book you got when first applying
for a learner's permit) Driving is a priviledge, not a right. to earn the
priviledge you have to pass a test and then continue to drive safely(not
too many tickets). What gave the government the right to pass that law?

What gave them the right to pass *any* law? But making laws about food and
drink (alcohol excepted) is wrong, IMO. Now I have no qualms with them
saying that the manufacturers have to list ingredients or allergens. But to
tell us what we can and can not buy? I'm not even sure I agree with the ban
in NY on trans-fats. People know what they are. If they choose to eat
them. Well... That's their choice.

Why is alcohol allowed? Isn't it a drug? Shouldn't it be treated as such?
I think so but I'm not in charge.

Heck at the rate they are going they are going to ban any food that has more
than a certain number of grams of sugar per serving. Next they might even
monitor our carb intake! And then what? Fried foods? Butter?

I can even understand it if they find something to be unsafe. I am thinking
of cocaine that used to be put in Coca Cola. Yes, it has its uses. But
shouldn't be available OTC. Or Sarsparilla or however you spell it. They
found that to be harmful.

But to say that you can buy a food or drink but you can only buy so much at
once? Beyond ridiculous. Ban the damned stuff or put a warming label on
it. But don't treat us like children.
We accepted it because it seemed clear that something was needed.

thisis where it starts, with someone getting a bright idea of how to save
the health of individuals and money (via the health care system) for the
citizens who have to pay the health care costs of the indigent.

Wendy

That isn't going to help. Everyone will now run out and get a Soda Stream.
Then they can suck down as much HFCS or Splenda as they want.

Old 23-06-2012, 07:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

That isn't going to help. Everyone will now run out and get a Soda
Stream. Then they can suck down as much HFCS or Splenda as they want.

Prohibition didn't work for alcohol, and portion size won't work for
obesity. I'm sure it's all going to come down to more money the government
can squeeze out of people. High taxes on large sizes etc. Next *they* will
decide that ribeye steak/pork/lamb is bad for you, or whatever the
collective hysteria happens to be on a certain day, so you can only sell it
in 3-4 oz size and so on. Personally, most of us have paid taxes all of our
lives for the very expensive poor choices of others, and will continue to do
so, so the old "oh but it costs so much" doesn't fly at all with me.

Cheri

Old 23-06-2012, 07:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

I am not getting into the argument but I have never heard you swear, lol.

Sure you have, you just forgot. :-)

Cheri

Old 23-06-2012, 07:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

But a lot of children are drinking large amounts of the stuff or eating
those huge buckets of glopped up popcorn at teh movies.

If you want you can buy a cold 2 liter bottle of soda and drink it down,
but not at a fod stand in a big bucket with a straw to just gulp down.

Wendy
Old 24-06-2012, 12:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" wrote in message

Cheri, I don't think folks do know what a normal serving size is any more.
Conditioning and desensitization are really well documented phenomena.

Susan

I certainly think you're right in some instances. I think it was Wendy who
pointed out that manufacturers are pretty crafty with their nutrition
labels. Hamburger Helper comes to mind in times past with the "serves 4-6"
on the package, small candy bars listing calorie counts for half a bar and
on and on. I'm sure it's confusing. I was fooled for a minute not long ago
with the 100 calorie pita pockets, but I really believe in the end that
people decide for themselves what a "normal" serving is supposed to be, and
I just don't think the packaging will make a difference.

Cheri