Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default The brown rice worked!

I had to devise my own recipe because I put ground beef in my Spanish rice
but could not find such a recipe using the brown. I accidentally left out
the salt (didn't need it) and the chilies (but it was fine without) and
perhaps put a touch too much salsa in it. The end result had a slight
amount of liquid left in it but it was by no means soupy like some recipes
can be. By the 2nd day it was fine and had sucked up all the liquid.

Angela loved the dish. And it worked well for me except that my BG was
slightly too low after I ate it. I did not use a lot of rice in it. I'd
say it was about half ground beef, 1/4 veggies (red and green bell peppers,
white onion, salsa) and 1/4 rice. A little oregano and chili powder.

We had it with some fat free zesty salsa refried beans.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: I had to devise my own recipe because I put ground beef in my Spanish rice
: but could not find such a recipe using the brown. I accidentally left out
: the salt (didn't need it) and the chilies (but it was fine without) and
: perhaps put a touch too much salsa in it. The end result had a slight
: amount of liquid left in it but it was by no means soupy like some recipes
: can be. By the 2nd day it was fine and had sucked up all the liquid.

: Angela loved the dish. And it worked well for me except that my BG was
: slightly too low after I ate it. I did not use a lot of rice in it. I'd
: say it was about half ground beef, 1/4 veggies (red and green bell peppers,
: white onion, salsa) and 1/4 rice. A little oregano and chili powder.

: We had it with some fat free zesty salsa refried beans.

Glad it worked out. In general, as brown rice takes about twice as long
to cook ass white, the simplest fix, in order to not overcook the other
ingredients, would be to par boil the brown fice ofor about 20 mns before
adding it tot he recipe.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I had to devise my own recipe because I put ground beef in my Spanish
> rice
> : but could not find such a recipe using the brown. I accidentally left
> out
> : the salt (didn't need it) and the chilies (but it was fine without) and
> : perhaps put a touch too much salsa in it. The end result had a slight
> : amount of liquid left in it but it was by no means soupy like some
> recipes
> : can be. By the 2nd day it was fine and had sucked up all the liquid.
>
> : Angela loved the dish. And it worked well for me except that my BG was
> : slightly too low after I ate it. I did not use a lot of rice in it.
> I'd
> : say it was about half ground beef, 1/4 veggies (red and green bell
> peppers,
> : white onion, salsa) and 1/4 rice. A little oregano and chili powder.
>
> : We had it with some fat free zesty salsa refried beans.
>
> Glad it worked out. In general, as brown rice takes about twice as long
> to cook ass white, the simplest fix, in order to not overcook the other
> ingredients, would be to par boil the brown fice ofor about 20 mns before
> adding it tot he recipe.

I didn't do that and it was still fine.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove > wrote:
> > : I had to devise my own recipe because I put ground beef in my Spanish
> > rice
> > : but could not find such a recipe using the brown. I accidentally left
> > out
> > : the salt (didn't need it) and the chilies (but it was fine without) and
> > : perhaps put a touch too much salsa in it. The end result had a slight
> > : amount of liquid left in it but it was by no means soupy like some
> > recipes
> > : can be. By the 2nd day it was fine and had sucked up all the liquid.
> >
> > : Angela loved the dish. And it worked well for me except that my BG was
> > : slightly too low after I ate it. I did not use a lot of rice in it.
> > I'd
> > : say it was about half ground beef, 1/4 veggies (red and green bell
> > peppers,
> > : white onion, salsa) and 1/4 rice. A little oregano and chili powder.
> >
> > : We had it with some fat free zesty salsa refried beans.
> >
> > Glad it worked out. In general, as brown rice takes about twice as long
> > to cook ass white, the simplest fix, in order to not overcook the other
> > ingredients, would be to par boil the brown fice ofor about 20 mns before
> > adding it tot he recipe.

> I didn't do that and it was still fine.

this is julies way of saying thank you

today's congee, i made it with a new brown organic rice, it says short grain on the package but is more like pearl rice, i put it in my mini blender first, i like the effect much better so far, Lee Stormmee Asian Cooking 3 30-05-2010 09:46 AM
Brown rice Gill Smith General Cooking 8 12-11-2008 08:08 AM
Brown rice Brian Christiansen General Cooking 21 06-04-2007 05:57 PM
Brown Rice - Help Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman General Cooking 15 02-06-2006 02:58 AM
Help on Cooking Brown Rice (Rice Cooker) Phil Sandler General Cooking 2 10-09-2004 08:25 PM