Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Craving cashews.

I don't know why but tonight I was craving cashews. Roasted ones. I must
say I don't even *like* roasted cashews. In fact I usually really *dislike*
them. But I bought a container of them, and I ate some. Can't say that I
really liked them but they weren't bad.

Does anyone know what I might be lacking to have such a craving? It wasn't
a craving for salt or crunchy foods. Just specifically cashews.

I also noticed that I am back to having fat aversions. Yes, I know there is
fat in cashews and I think that is why I normally don't like them. They
seem too fatty.

But on Sunday I had a cheese sandwich and I put soft spread margarine on it.
I really hated the margarine. I didn't like the sandwich at all and had to
force it down. I really don't like sandwiches to begin with though. Then
tonight I had the same kind of sandwich except that I put real butter on it.
I thought that would make a difference. It wasn't quite as bad but I kept
thinking how I disliked the butter. And last night I popped some corn in
oil. I found that I couldn't eat very much of it because I just didn't want
the oil.

I am thinking this is not a good thing. The diet I would naturally eat by
choice is very low in fat, to the point of almost being fat free. And I
know that's not the way to eat. I have to make sure I have fat in my diet.
The foods I would naturally seek out by choice would be dried beans,
vegetables, rice, popcorn and maybe some pasta.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Had your iron stores checked lately? Food (and even non food) cravings
are often iron deficiency related.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I don't know why but tonight I was craving cashews. Roasted ones. I
> must say I don't even *like* roasted cashews. In fact I usually
> really *dislike* them. But I bought a container of them, and I ate
> some. Can't say that I really liked them but they weren't bad.
>
> Does anyone know what I might be lacking to have such a craving? It
> wasn't a craving for salt or crunchy foods. Just specifically
> cashews.
>
> I also noticed that I am back to having fat aversions. Yes, I know
> there is fat in cashews and I think that is why I normally don't like
> them. They seem too fatty.
>
> But on Sunday I had a cheese sandwich and I put soft spread margarine
> on it. I really hated the margarine. I didn't like the sandwich at
> all and had to force it down. I really don't like sandwiches to begin
> with though. Then tonight I had the same kind of sandwich except that
> I put real butter on it. I thought that would make a difference. It
> wasn't quite as bad but I kept thinking how I disliked the butter.
> And last night I popped some corn in oil. I found that I couldn't eat
> very much of it because I just didn't want the oil.
>
> I am thinking this is not a good thing. The diet I would naturally
> eat by choice is very low in fat, to the point of almost being fat
> free. And I know that's not the way to eat. I have to make sure I
> have fat in my diet. The foods I would naturally seek out by choice
> would be dried beans, vegetables, rice, popcorn and maybe some pasta.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Had your iron stores checked lately? Food (and even non food) cravings are
> often iron deficiency related.

Aha! I was anemic due to a super long period, I think. The hematologist
that I saw said I was no longer anemic when he did my labs. But in a stupid
move on my part, I did not ask for a copy of those labs nor did I see them.
I did call and ask that I be sent a copy. I will for sure follow up on this
if I don't get them soon.

I started taking new (to me) vitamins. I was taking the standard Kirkland
adult vitamins because Consumer Reports rated them the best. However the
last time I bought vitamins there, they no longer had that kind. Now they
have some kind of super mega ones that contain more of things than I need.
So I opted for the Over 50 kind but sadly there is no iron at all in them.
Because of this I bought myself some iron tablets that contain 100% of the
RDA for iron. I have been taking those. The hematologist said I don't need
to supplement but I believe I do.

My last period was very light although somewhat long. I don't think that in
and of itself would have caused anemia. But... I have also eaten very
little meat in the past few weeks. I did eat red meat yesterday. And I did
eat red meat on Friday of last week. But... For the two weeks prior I
don't think I ate any at all. And I do know I will go anemic if I don't eat
red meat twice a week.

I wish I could find a low dose iron pills. It was even hard to find one
that was just 100%. Most are whopping with some weird amount like 447% of
the RDA. I don't need that. But I think it might help if I could find some
that were like 20% and then I could take them once or twice a week. I will
keep looking.

It is just hard for me to eat the red meat these days. Angela just doesn't
like ground beef. She does get steak at Mexican restaurants. I haven't
tried to eat steak for many years. The last few times I tried, I couldn't
digest it. We have also really been trying to save money because my husband
is retiring soon and has yet to find a another job. And we are trying to
eat up the food we have in the freezer so I can defrost it. Most of what is
in there is vegan or vegetarian. And frankly I just don't like meat very
much. But I guess I must push myself to eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I found a powder that you mix with liquid. It is 30%. I will try taking
half a packet twice a week. It's darned expensive though!
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Had your iron stores checked lately? Food (and even non food) cravings
>> are often iron deficiency related.

> Aha! I was anemic due to a super long period, I think. The hematologist
> that I saw said I was no longer anemic when he did my labs. But in a
> stupid move on my part, I did not ask for a copy of those labs nor did I
> see them. I did call and ask that I be sent a copy. I will for sure
> follow up on this if I don't get them soon.
>
> I started taking new (to me) vitamins. I was taking the standard Kirkland
> adult vitamins because Consumer Reports rated them the best. However the
> last time I bought vitamins there, they no longer had that kind. Now they
> have some kind of super mega ones that contain more of things than I need.
> So I opted for the Over 50 kind but sadly there is no iron at all in them.
> Because of this I bought myself some iron tablets that contain 100% of the
> RDA for iron. I have been taking those. The hematologist said I don't
> need to supplement but I believe I do.
>
> My last period was very light although somewhat long. I don't think that
> in and of itself would have caused anemia. But... I have also eaten very
> little meat in the past few weeks. I did eat red meat yesterday. And I
> did eat red meat on Friday of last week. But... For the two weeks prior
> I don't think I ate any at all. And I do know I will go anemic if I don't
> eat red meat twice a week.
>
> I wish I could find a low dose iron pills. It was even hard to find one
> that was just 100%. Most are whopping with some weird amount like 447% of
> the RDA. I don't need that. But I think it might help if I could find
> some that were like 20% and then I could take them once or twice a week.
> I will keep looking.
>
> It is just hard for me to eat the red meat these days. Angela just
> doesn't like ground beef. She does get steak at Mexican restaurants. I
> haven't tried to eat steak for many years. The last few times I tried, I
> couldn't digest it. We have also really been trying to save money because
> my husband is retiring soon and has yet to find a another job. And we are
> trying to eat up the food we have in the freezer so I can defrost it.
> Most of what is in there is vegan or vegetarian. And frankly I just don't
> like meat very much. But I guess I must push myself to eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 22:25:01 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I don't know why but tonight I was craving cashews. Roasted ones. I must
>say I don't even *like* roasted cashews. In fact I usually really *dislike*
>them. But I bought a container of them, and I ate some. Can't say that I
>really liked them but they weren't bad.
>
>Does anyone know what I might be lacking to have such a craving? It wasn't
>a craving for salt or crunchy foods. Just specifically cashews.
>
>I also noticed that I am back to having fat aversions. Yes, I know there is
>fat in cashews and I think that is why I normally don't like them. They
>seem too fatty.
>
>But on Sunday I had a cheese sandwich and I put soft spread margarine on it.
>I really hated the margarine. I didn't like the sandwich at all and had to
>force it down. I really don't like sandwiches to begin with though. Then
>tonight I had the same kind of sandwich except that I put real butter on it.
>I thought that would make a difference. It wasn't quite as bad but I kept
>thinking how I disliked the butter. And last night I popped some corn in
>oil. I found that I couldn't eat very much of it because I just didn't want
>the oil.
>
>I am thinking this is not a good thing. The diet I would naturally eat by
>choice is very low in fat, to the point of almost being fat free. And I
>know that's not the way to eat. I have to make sure I have fat in my diet.
>The foods I would naturally seek out by choice would be dried beans,
>vegetables, rice, popcorn and maybe some pasta.

I crave cashews too. I love the things. If there is a bowl of
cashews around, I have to force myself to stop. I don't know what it
means.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Craving cashews...answer?

I did a search on this and one site said it meant you were low in magnesium.
I was low in that before. At that time I was craving tabbouli. And that
does sound good too but there is only one store around here that makes the
good stuff and we are not going there. I have tried to make it myself and I
don't really like it so much when I make it.

I am going to the health food store soon. I should have kept those bone
pills that I had for Angela. I need to get some more of those and some
popcorn. So I will see if they have magnesium.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 15:52:42 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I did a search on this and one site said it meant you were low in magnesium.
>I was low in that before. At that time I was craving tabbouli. And that
>does sound good too but there is only one store around here that makes the
>good stuff and we are not going there. I have tried to make it myself and I
>don't really like it so much when I make it.
>
>I am going to the health food store soon. I should have kept those bone
>pills that I had for Angela. I need to get some more of those and some
>popcorn. So I will see if they have magnesium.

I take Magnesium Taurate - 2 a day. The one at bedtime definitely
helps me sleep better. They are made by Cardiovascular Research. My
doctor wants me to take them because Magnesium reduces inflammation
and my C-reactive protein was a little high before.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: I did a search on this and one site said it meant you were low in
magnesium.
: I was low in that before. At that time I was craving tabbouli. And that
: does sound good too but there is only one store around here that makes the
: good stuff and we are not going there. I have tried to make it myself and I
: don't really like it so much when I make it.

: I am going to the health food store soon. I should have kept those bone
: pills that I had for Angela. I need to get some more of those and some
: popcorn. So I will see if they have magnesium.
Sometmes we get cravings fo rfood just becuse we get cravings and for no
complicated reason. Sometimes I getcravigns for danish pastry or fancy
chocolates or baked otatoes or french fries or, expeciall potato chips.
You may not like them bt they can occsionally drive me mad with desire. I
don't figure it is some lack in my diet, just a craving.

Except for fish oil, I take no supplements at all, unless you call
prescribed vitamin D and calcium for bone health as supplements. I no
longer take Fosemax, a prescribed drug, as my blood test ndicated that i
might be usbject to fracture of the jaw were I to ontinue the
fosemax(generic), so I am on the calcium citrate adn vitamin D3, but no
other supplements adn I don't keep looking for more to take.

wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 15:52:42 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I did a search on this and one site said it meant you were low in
>>magnesium.
>>I was low in that before. At that time I was craving tabbouli. And that
>>does sound good too but there is only one store around here that makes the
>>good stuff and we are not going there. I have tried to make it myself and
>>don't really like it so much when I make it.
>>
>>I am going to the health food store soon. I should have kept those bone
>>pills that I had for Angela. I need to get some more of those and some
>>popcorn. So I will see if they have magnesium.

> I take Magnesium Taurate - 2 a day. The one at bedtime definitely
> helps me sleep better. They are made by Cardiovascular Research. My
> doctor wants me to take them because Magnesium reduces inflammation
> and my C-reactive protein was a little high before.

I don't know if they have tested mine recently. It was borderline high some
years ago. I got Magnesium Complex from Nature's Sunshine. They had some
other kind but I was told it makes you poo a lot and I don't need any help
in that department.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I did a search on this and one site said it meant you were low in
> magnesium.
> : I was low in that before. At that time I was craving tabbouli. And
> that
> : does sound good too but there is only one store around here that makes
> the
> : good stuff and we are not going there. I have tried to make it myself
> and I
> : don't really like it so much when I make it.
>
> : I am going to the health food store soon. I should have kept those bone
> : pills that I had for Angela. I need to get some more of those and some
> : popcorn. So I will see if they have magnesium.
> Sometmes we get cravings fo rfood just becuse we get cravings and for no
> complicated reason. Sometimes I getcravigns for danish pastry or fancy
> chocolates or baked otatoes or french fries or, expeciall potato chips.
> You may not like them bt they can occsionally drive me mad with desire. I
> don't figure it is some lack in my diet, just a craving.

Well that could be for you. When I get a craving there is always a reason
behind it. I guess one exception could be when people bring McDonald's food
into the dance studio. It smells good and if I see people eating the fries
it does make me want them but that is different than a craving. A craving
to me is a totally different level. It is something I simply HAVE to have!
I know that I don't really like McDonald's food and it doesn't taste good so
I would never go over and get any. Sometimes I do want French fries. Or
biscuits and gravy. But that's merely a want. It's not a deep craving.

> Except for fish oil, I take no supplements at all, unless you call
> prescribed vitamin D and calcium for bone health as supplements. I no
> longer take Fosemax, a prescribed drug, as my blood test ndicated that i
> might be usbject to fracture of the jaw were I to ontinue the
> fosemax(generic), so I am on the calcium citrate adn vitamin D3, but no
> other supplements adn I don't keep looking for more to take.

I take TONS of supplements and I seem to need them all. Every time I try to
stop taking one, the problem for which I took it crops up again. It could
be because I have gastroparesis and because I don't digest my food well I am
not getting all the nutrients out of it. I don't know. I did quit taking
cayenne because it seemed to be giving me heartburn. But then I read today
that it will do that for the first week. You just have to tough it out and
then it won't do that any more. It's supposed to help with weight loss and
inflammation. I also quit taking Ginkgo Biloba because it seemed to do
nothing. And I quit taking Saw Palmetto. It was supposed to help with
thinning hair. It didn't.

Taking supplements just seems like a normal thing for me because my mom
always took a ton of them and still does. She puts hers in old Nyquil cups.
Where she ever got that many of them, I will never know! She does up two
weeks of them at a time for herself and another two weeks for my dad,
although his are more prescription meds than supplements. I do not
personally believe this is a good way to do things. For one thing, those
open tops are just an accident waiting to happen. For another, I do not
think it is a good idea to leave the pills exposed to the air.

I find that the supplements really do help me. Already I have lost 5 pounds
by adding CLA back into my diet. And it is weight from around my middle
because my pants are looser. Black Cohosh allows me to leave the house.
Without it, my periods were so heavy that my mom was begging me to get a
hysterectomy. I am rather anti-surgery unless there is no other choice. I
am far less fond of prescription meds but I do like the herbs and
supplements. This is not something I take lightly. I do my research before
I take things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 19:00:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 15:52:42 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I did a search on this and one site said it meant you were low in
>>>magnesium.
>>>I was low in that before. At that time I was craving tabbouli. And that
>>>does sound good too but there is only one store around here that makes the
>>>good stuff and we are not going there. I have tried to make it myself and
>>>don't really like it so much when I make it.
>>>
>>>I am going to the health food store soon. I should have kept those bone
>>>pills that I had for Angela. I need to get some more of those and some
>>>popcorn. So I will see if they have magnesium.

>> I take Magnesium Taurate - 2 a day. The one at bedtime definitely
>> helps me sleep better. They are made by Cardiovascular Research. My
>> doctor wants me to take them because Magnesium reduces inflammation
>> and my C-reactive protein was a little high before.

>I don't know if they have tested mine recently. It was borderline high some
>years ago. I got Magnesium Complex from Nature's Sunshine. They had some
>other kind but I was told it makes you poo a lot and I don't need any help
>in that department.

The magnesium taurate doesn't have that effect.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 19:00:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 15:52:42 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> I take Magnesium Taurate - 2 a day. The one at bedtime definitely
>>> helps me sleep better. They are made by Cardiovascular Research. My
>>> doctor wants me to take them because Magnesium reduces inflammation
>>> and my C-reactive protein was a little high before.

>>I don't know if they have tested mine recently. It was borderline high
>>some
>>years ago. I got Magnesium Complex from Nature's Sunshine. They had some
>>other kind but I was told it makes you poo a lot and I don't need any help
>>in that department.

> The magnesium taurate doesn't have that effect.

Oops! That was a typo! I wasn't borderline high but borderline low.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/7/2012 1:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

[snip]
> It is just hard for me to eat the red meat these days. Angela just doesn't
> like ground beef. She does get steak at Mexican restaurants. I haven't
> tried to eat steak for many years. The last few times I tried, I couldn't
> digest it. We have also really been trying to save money because my husband
> is retiring soon and has yet to find a another job. And we are trying to
> eat up the food we have in the freezer so I can defrost it. Most of what is
> in there is vegan or vegetarian. And frankly I just don't like meat very
> much. But I guess I must push myself to eat it.

I've been saving links to job hunting sites. Would you like to post
details on what type of job he is looking for so I can help hunt for
such a job?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/7/2012 5:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I did a search on this and one site said it meant you were low in magnesium.
> I was low in that before. At that time I was craving tabbouli. And that
> does sound good too but there is only one store around here that makes the
> good stuff and we are not going there. I have tried to make it myself and I
> don't really like it so much when I make it.
>
> I am going to the health food store soon. I should have kept those bone
> pills that I had for Angela. I need to get some more of those and some
> popcorn. So I will see if they have magnesium.

Chlorophyll (the green coloring in plants) always contains magnesium.
Therefore, you may want to check if your favorite dark green vegetables
contain enough magnesium for your needs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 3/7/2012 1:01 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

> [snip]
>> It is just hard for me to eat the red meat these days. Angela just
>> doesn't
>> like ground beef. She does get steak at Mexican restaurants. I haven't
>> tried to eat steak for many years. The last few times I tried, I
>> couldn't
>> digest it. We have also really been trying to save money because my
>> husband
>> is retiring soon and has yet to find a another job. And we are trying to
>> eat up the food we have in the freezer so I can defrost it. Most of what
>> is
>> in there is vegan or vegetarian. And frankly I just don't like meat very
>> much. But I guess I must push myself to eat it.

> I've been saving links to job hunting sites. Would you like to post
> details on what type of job he is looking for so I can help hunt for
> such a job?

He really wants to work at the VTS in Seattle (Vessel Traffic Service). Or
a government job. I think he knows the listings. But he won't be retired
from the Coast Guard until July.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 3/7/2012 5:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I did a search on this and one site said it meant you were low in
>> magnesium.
>> I was low in that before. At that time I was craving tabbouli. And that
>> does sound good too but there is only one store around here that makes
>> the
>> good stuff and we are not going there. I have tried to make it myself
>> and I
>> don't really like it so much when I make it.
>>
>> I am going to the health food store soon. I should have kept those bone
>> pills that I had for Angela. I need to get some more of those and some
>> popcorn. So I will see if they have magnesium.

> Chlorophyll (the green coloring in plants) always contains magnesium.
> Therefore, you may want to check if your favorite dark green vegetables
> contain enough magnesium for your needs.

I can't eat much in the way of veggies due to the gastroparesis.
Particularly the leafy ones.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/8/2012 11:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> [snip]
>>> It is just hard for me to eat the red meat these days. Angela just
>>> doesn't
>>> like ground beef. She does get steak at Mexican restaurants. I haven't
>>> tried to eat steak for many years. The last few times I tried, I
>>> couldn't
>>> digest it. We have also really been trying to save money because my
>>> husband
>>> is retiring soon and has yet to find a another job. And we are trying to
>>> eat up the food we have in the freezer so I can defrost it. Most of what
>>> is
>>> in there is vegan or vegetarian. And frankly I just don't like meat very
>>> much. But I guess I must push myself to eat it.

>> I've been saving links to job hunting sites. Would you like to post
>> details on what type of job he is looking for so I can help hunt for
>> such a job?

> He really wants to work at the VTS in Seattle (Vessel Traffic Service). Or
> a government job. I think he knows the listings. But he won't be retired
> from the Coast Guard until July.

He might want to check if this site is on his list:

http://www.usajobs.gov/

I've also found a site specific to veterans, but I don't have it
handy and don't know if service in the Coast Guard qualifies.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> On 4/8/2012 11:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I've been saving links to job hunting sites. Would you like to post
>>> details on what type of job he is looking for so I can help hunt for
>>> such a job?

>> He really wants to work at the VTS in Seattle (Vessel Traffic Service).
>> Or
>> a government job. I think he knows the listings. But he won't be
>> retired
>> from the Coast Guard until July.

> He might want to check if this site is on his list:
>
> http://www.usajobs.gov/
>
> I've also found a site specific to veterans, but I don't have it
> handy and don't know if service in the Coast Guard qualifies.

It does and I am sure he has checked that site.