Member

Default Best Packaged Food Options?

Hey all!

Working on some research & wondering what you think are some of the best packaged food options for diabetics?

What do you wish there was?

What's hard to find?

Fill me in!
Thanks in advance,
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"mbastudent11" > wrote in message

> Hey all!
>
> Working on some research & wondering what you think are some of the best
> packaged food options for diabetics?

Fish eggs

> What do you wish there was?

Osetra and Sevruga caviar.

> What's hard to find?

Beluga caviar.

> Fill me in!

They are fish eggs with a pedigree.

> Thanks in advance,

Even some domestic caviar would be nice right now.

> mbastudent11

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"mbastudent11" > wrote in message

> Hey all!
>
> Working on some research & wondering what you think are some of the best
> packaged food options for diabetics?
>
> What do you wish there was?
>
> What's hard to find?
>
> Fill me in!
> Thanks in advance,

Seriously there is no one answer. IMO the best food for anyone is not a
packaged food. However there are some things such as bagged salad, celery
with peanut butter, carrots with Ranch dip, apple slices, single serve
cheeses, mostly natural things like that. Things that would be good for
most people.

But as diabetics there is not one diet that we all follow. So there is no
one food that is going to work for us.

I don't really wish there was a packaged food and I don't know what is hard
to find. I prefer to eat whole foods for the most part.

I do buy some packaged things but most are off limits for me. I do also
have food allergies so that right there limits things severely. There are
sooo many extra things that are put into packaged foods that really don't
need to be there, IMO. My daughter puts things back on the shelf if she
flips over the package to look at the ingredients and the list is too long.
That usually means they added a bunch of crap that shouldn't be there!

Actually, yesterday we did have a problem. I won't get into the whole story
but bottom line we had to go to Subway to get food for my parents for
dinner. I refuse to eat their food so my daughter and I had to come up with
something for us to eat. I actually wasn't hungry at all. I had already
eaten two meals and two meals is all I ever eat. So my body had enough food
for the day, but... I still had to take my insulin and pills and I needed
to eat. I picked up a small thing called a pico de gallo wrap. Flipped it
over to see the carb count. 90g! That is twice the amount I can eat in a
meal. And I wouldn't have wanted to eat only half because it was so small.
Yeah, half really would have been perfect seeing as how I wasn't hungry.
But the other half would have gone to waste because it *was* so small. I
never would have been able to eat it later as a meal and not have been super
hungry.

This particular store wasn't a large one and didn't have any of the prepared
foods we normally eat. So we opted for some stuffed potatoes from the deli
counter. My daughter also got some salad bar but the offerings on it were
pathetic, IMO and I didn't get any.

My daughter took one bite of the potato and said I wouldn't like it. She
was right! I don't know if they put sour cream in it or what but it had a
horrible sour taste to me. I couldn't eat it. Luckily the skin part seemed
to be free of seasonings so I just ate that.

We got home and I still wasn't hungry but I knew I needed protein and some
more carbs. I found those microwave popcorn bowls on sale B1G1F. I
normally don't like that stuff and prefer to pop my corn from scratch. But
it looked appealing so I stuck a bowl in the microwave and went off to do
something else. And then it sort of burned. So it wasn't good. I forced
myself to eat a small amount of it and then the remains of some cottage
cheese in the open container. Turns out it was the right amount of carbs
because my BG was fine before bed.

I suppose if there were a packaged food that would appeal to me it would be
a food with protein in it, little to no carbs, no meat, no dairy, no eggs,
no soy, and no nuts. What would that leave? Well, chia seeds but they need
to be gelled. So maybe some pre-gelled chia seeds? But those only keep for
a few days. Pumpkin seeds? Sunflower seeds? Ah but you can already get
those.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "mbastudent11" > wrote in
> message ...
>>
>> Hey all!
>>
>> Working on some research & wondering what you think are some of the best
>> packaged food options for diabetics?

> Fish eggs
>
>> What do you wish there was?

> Osetra and Sevruga caviar.
>
>> What's hard to find?

> Beluga caviar.
>
>> Fill me in!

> They are fish eggs with a pedigree.
>
>> Thanks in advance,

> Even some domestic caviar would be nice right now.

I'll pass.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/12/2012 5:53 PM, mbastudent11 wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> Working on some research& wondering what you think are some of the best
> packaged food options for diabetics?
>
> What do you wish there was?
>
> What's hard to find?
>
> Fill me in!
> Thanks in advance,

I'd want packaged low-carb foods. Possibly with a small amount of some
higher-carb dessert added.

Robert Miles