Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Do you ever have to waste food?

At my parent's house it always seems to be chicken. My mom will buy it or
take it out of the freezer and then for one reason or another they keep
going out to eat instead of cooking the chicken. And then it is expired and
then she has to throw it away. That doesn't happen to me with meat. If I
have meat in such a situation, I will just cook it and stick it in the
freezer. If it is hamburger I may give it taco seasoning. The meat then
may or may not get eaten from my freezer, so yeah, it may still get wasted.
But we do try to eat it at some point.

This week? It's pasta salad. I went through my cupboard where I keep
pasta, rice, instant mashed potatoes and some packets of cheese sauce powder
which I have never used. It is a small cupboard. I could have sworn that I
went through it at the start of school but in it was a box of Life Cereal
that I had bought for my husband. Expired in 2010. He no longer eats
cereal of any kind so I thought I had gotten rid of it all. It was
essentially an empty box with only crumbs left in it. I did have to throw
out a small amount of stuff which I could swear that I purchased since the
start of school. Perhaps it was close to being expired or expired when I
bought it. It did come from Big Lots. That was only $2.00 worth of food so
no great loss.

But I do have some things that are going to expire in a few months. And
there was a box of quinoa pasta with no expiration date on it but I know it
is at least a year old because my health food store no longer sells it that
way. They buy it in bulk and package it up. I knew I needed to use it so
planned to make pasta salad for tonight and tomorrow night.

But then Angela got sick. Started last week on Thu. I assumed it was only
a one day thing. She seemed better on Fri. and Sat. although she said she
did have a little of the big D on those days but apparently not enough to
bother to tell me.

But Sunday? We had purchased a gluten free taco pizza from Garlic Jim's.
We sat there while they made it. Angela heard them talking about it and was
pleased that they told us they couldn't put the normal chips on there
because they weren't gluten free. She was happy that they were being so
careful with her food. But then about 2 hours after she ate it she got the
big D again and I do mean BIG! This lead me to believe that maybe it wasn't
really gluten free. Or it somehow got cross contaminated. Because that is
one of her symptoms when she eats wheat. She was convinced that it was fine
because she watched them make it and the crust didn't look like a wheat
crust. We have gotten pizza from them for my husband so we know what it
looks like.

Monday and Tues. she was no better. She missed school. Took her to the
Walk In Clinic after I had my mammogram and that Dr. felt it was just
gastroenteritis because a lot of that has been going around in the school.

She got better but then late last night it struck again! She had to go to
school today. School has been all messed up what with them missing a week
of school due to snow. She missed a math test yesterday but can't retake it
till Fri. due to her math teacher being out for an emergency type operation
on a broken arm due to playing soccer. Oh joy! And she had very important
paperwork to turn in to her gym teacher about a schedule change and also the
makeup sheets of her physical activities for the days she missed due to
whooping cough. The end of the semester has been changed due to the snow so
all of this had to have been done by Thu. Not sure about the math test but
I guess that will all be sorted out.

I did tell her if she had the big D at school to call me and I would come
get her. She only needed to make it through till lunch. Well...
Apparently she did have at school and didn't call me. Grrr... And now she
is very sick again. I may have to take her to the pediatrician.

Anyway... I made her the pasta salad last night but don't dare give it to
her now because of all the veggies in it. And I am not so sure how easily
quinoa digests. I gave her turkey breast and plain rice and I also bought
more applesauce, some lactose free yogurt and bananas. The Dr. was
concerned about her BG but did say this was the best sort of diet for her to
eat. So now I have this big container of pasta salad that probably won't
get eaten. I didn't feel like eating it tonight. I need to do my taxes so
just bought myself a sandwich while I was at the store. I am not too
thrilled about sandwiches but I can eat it while I work. And I really just
didn't feel like eating pasta salad.

There is a chance if she gets better she can eat some of it tomorrow and I
will eat it. But the rest is likely to go to waste. I am not sure how long
it will keep. Assuming she is going to dance on Friday, we will go out to
eat after and then grocery shopping. And Sat. we spend with my parents who
go out to eat. I suppose if it makes it till Sun. we could eat the rest of
it then. But I don't know if it will. At least I only made 4 servings. I
didn't put everything that I normally put in it because that would just make
too much. But it just seems like such a waste of my time to make it all and
then not have it get eaten. Plus the cost of all the veggies that went into
it. When I make this I use mostly veggies and just a little pasta.

So does this happen to you? I'm sure it would happen to everyone at some
time or other but... It seems to happen to us more times than I would like.
Perhaps because I am so careful to plan out our meals. I want to make sure
we have enough food for the week but not too much food. And because it is
fresh food it just doesn't keep.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> out to eat after and then grocery shopping. And Sat. we spend with my
> parents who go out to eat. I suppose if it makes it till Sun. we could
> eat the rest of it then. But I don't know if it will. At least I only
> made 4 servings. I didn't put everything that I normally put in it
> because that would just make too much. But it just seems like such a
> waste of my time to make it all and then not have it get eaten. Plus the
> cost of all the veggies that went into it. When I make this I use mostly
> veggies and just a little pasta.
>
> So does this happen to you? I'm sure it would happen to everyone at some
> time or other but... It seems to happen to us more times than I would
> like. Perhaps because I am so careful to plan out our meals. I want to
> make sure we have enough food for the week but not too much food. And
> because it is fresh food it just doesn't keep.

Yes, since there are only two of us in the house now, things expire before
we have a chance to finish it..like bacon, eggs, some boxed items. I have a
large freezer so the food in there keeps pretty well...but I still have
times when I have to clean old food out of the freezer.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> because that would just make too much. But it just seems like such a
>> waste of my time to make it all and then not have it get eaten. Plus the
>> cost of all the veggies that went into it. When I make this I use mostly
>> veggies and just a little pasta.
>>
>> So does this happen to you? I'm sure it would happen to everyone at some
>> time or other but... It seems to happen to us more times than I would
>> like. Perhaps because I am so careful to plan out our meals. I want to
>> make sure we have enough food for the week but not too much food. And
>> because it is fresh food it just doesn't keep.
>>

> Yes, since there are only two of us in the house now, things expire before
> we have a chance to finish it..like bacon, eggs, some boxed items. I have
> a large freezer so the food in there keeps pretty well...but I still have
> times when I have to clean old food out of the freezer.

I need to clean out my freezer. I only got it in June so it's not too bad
but it needs to be defrosted.

Mostly there is just the two of us now and we really don't seem to eat very
much. I have to be careful what I buy. I no longer buy any food for my
husband unless I know he is coming home. Trying not to buy too much for him
can be a problem. He does eat soooo much! I will buy what I think will
last a week but it's gone in 2 or 3 days. The big problem occurs close to
when he leaves. I either seem not to buy enough stuff or the right stuff or
I overestimate and buy too much. And what he eats is pretty much the
opposite of what we eat. We could live off of veggies and cheese. He wants
meat and junk food.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am ocd or whatever about food waste so it rarely happens to us, it used to
until i started really watching it, food is one of the few places you can
actually save money in your budget, its work but it can be done... the dh
will eat almost anything as i can if needs be.

a small side comment, one of your issues, from your writing seems to be the
expiri dates on packages, that is a selling gimmick/legal protection for the
producers/sellers, most foods are fine well past their labeled date, you
must use your nose/eyes to eat these foods but honestly its really not
critical to keep by them, if it tastes fresh then it is... bear in mind i
say this selling food... much of which has these dates and i am prohibited
from selling it, but i often bring it home and we eat it or give it away and
its all fine as long as the package is sealed...

the most stunning example of this is yogurt, its good forever and if still
sealed can be a generational thing, lol, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> out to eat after and then grocery shopping. And Sat. we spend with my
> parents who go out to eat. I suppose if it makes it till Sun. we could
> eat the rest of it then. But I don't know if it will. At least I only
> made 4 servings. I didn't put everything that I normally put in it
> because that would just make too much. But it just seems like such a
> waste of my time to make it all and then not have it get eaten. Plus the
> cost of all the veggies that went into it. When I make this I use mostly
> veggies and just a little pasta.
>
> So does this happen to you? I'm sure it would happen to everyone at some
> time or other but... It seems to happen to us more times than I would
> like. Perhaps because I am so careful to plan out our meals. I want to
> make sure we have enough food for the week but not too much food. And
> because it is fresh food it just doesn't keep.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

something my mother taught me was that i should put the close dated things
on the counter in plain veiw so we will use them before others, it works to
some degree, i always clean out the freezer, or did anyway every six months
so i could defrost it, that kept it clean and food waste down, Lee
"Jacquie" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> because that would just make too much. But it just seems like such a
>> waste of my time to make it all and then not have it get eaten. Plus the
>> cost of all the veggies that went into it. When I make this I use mostly
>> veggies and just a little pasta.
>>
>> So does this happen to you? I'm sure it would happen to everyone at some
>> time or other but... It seems to happen to us more times than I would
>> like. Perhaps because I am so careful to plan out our meals. I want to
>> make sure we have enough food for the week but not too much food. And
>> because it is fresh food it just doesn't keep.
>>

> Yes, since there are only two of us in the house now, things expire before
> we have a chance to finish it..like bacon, eggs, some boxed items. I have
> a large freezer so the food in there keeps pretty well...but I still have
> times when I have to clean old food out of the freezer.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i am ocd or whatever about food waste so it rarely happens to us, it used
>to until i started really watching it, food is one of the few places you
>can actually save money in your budget, its work but it can be done... the
>dh will eat almost anything as i can if needs be.
>
> a small side comment, one of your issues, from your writing seems to be
> the expiri dates on packages, that is a selling gimmick/legal protection
> for the producers/sellers, most foods are fine well past their labeled
> date, you must use your nose/eyes to eat these foods but honestly its
> really not critical to keep by them, if it tastes fresh then it is... bear
> in mind i say this selling food... much of which has these dates and i am
> prohibited from selling it, but i often bring it home and we eat it or
> give it away and its all fine as long as the package is sealed...
>
> the most stunning example of this is yogurt, its good forever and if still
> sealed can be a generational thing, lol, Lee

I don't know about the yogurt. I don't eat it but Angela has had some that
was expired and it was very badly separated. She doesn't eat the kind with
fruit in it so it should all be the same texture. It wasn't.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> something my mother taught me was that i should put the close dated things
> on the counter in plain veiw so we will use them before others, it works
> to some degree, i always clean out the freezer, or did anyway every six
> months so i could defrost it, that kept it clean and food waste down, Lee

I do that too when I notice them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

using your judgement is of course required, and the closer to natural/less
chemicals you get the more likely it is to seperate, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>>i am ocd or whatever about food waste so it rarely happens to us, it used
>>to until i started really watching it, food is one of the few places you
>>can actually save money in your budget, its work but it can be done... the
>>dh will eat almost anything as i can if needs be.
>>
>> a small side comment, one of your issues, from your writing seems to be
>> the expiri dates on packages, that is a selling gimmick/legal protection
>> for the producers/sellers, most foods are fine well past their labeled
>> date, you must use your nose/eyes to eat these foods but honestly its
>> really not critical to keep by them, if it tastes fresh then it is...
>> bear in mind i say this selling food... much of which has these dates and
>> i am prohibited from selling it, but i often bring it home and we eat it
>> or give it away and its all fine as long as the package is sealed...
>>
>> the most stunning example of this is yogurt, its good forever and if
>> still sealed can be a generational thing, lol, Lee

> I don't know about the yogurt. I don't eat it but Angela has had some
> that was expired and it was very badly separated. She doesn't eat the
> kind with fruit in it so it should all be the same texture. It wasn't.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> >i am ocd or whatever about food waste so it rarely happens to us, it used
> >to until i started really watching it, food is one of the few places you
> >can actually save money in your budget, its work but it can be done... the
> >dh will eat almost anything as i can if needs be.
> >
> > a small side comment, one of your issues, from your writing seems to be
> > the expiri dates on packages, that is a selling gimmick/legal protection
> > for the producers/sellers, most foods are fine well past their labeled
> > date, you must use your nose/eyes to eat these foods but honestly its
> > really not critical to keep by them, if it tastes fresh then it is... bear
> > in mind i say this selling food... much of which has these dates and i am
> > prohibited from selling it, but i often bring it home and we eat it or
> > give it away and its all fine as long as the package is sealed...
> >
> > the most stunning example of this is yogurt, its good forever and if still
> > sealed can be a generational thing, lol, Lee

> I don't know about the yogurt. I don't eat it but Angela has had some that
> was expired and it was very badly separated. She doesn't eat the kind with
> fruit in it so it should all be the same texture. It wasn't.

Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt separates, the
liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more expensive Greek
yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's thicker.

Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other stabilizers to
minimize the amount of separation.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> >i am ocd or whatever about food waste so it rarely happens to us, it
>> >used
>> >to until i started really watching it, food is one of the few places you
>> >can actually save money in your budget, its work but it can be done...
>> >the
>> >dh will eat almost anything as i can if needs be.
>> >
>> > a small side comment, one of your issues, from your writing seems to be
>> > the expiri dates on packages, that is a selling gimmick/legal
>> > protection
>> > for the producers/sellers, most foods are fine well past their labeled
>> > date, you must use your nose/eyes to eat these foods but honestly its
>> > really not critical to keep by them, if it tastes fresh then it is...
>> > bear
>> > in mind i say this selling food... much of which has these dates and i
>> > am
>> > prohibited from selling it, but i often bring it home and we eat it or
>> > give it away and its all fine as long as the package is sealed...
>> >
>> > the most stunning example of this is yogurt, its good forever and if
>> > still
>> > sealed can be a generational thing, lol, Lee

>> I don't know about the yogurt. I don't eat it but Angela has had some
>> that
>> was expired and it was very badly separated. She doesn't eat the kind
>> with
>> fruit in it so it should all be the same texture. It wasn't.

> Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt separates, the
> liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more expensive Greek
> yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's thicker.
>
> Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other stabilizers to
> minimize the amount of separation.

Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> I don't know about the yogurt. I don't eat it but Angela has had some
> >> that
> >> was expired and it was very badly separated. She doesn't eat the kind
> >> with
> >> fruit in it so it should all be the same texture. It wasn't.

> > Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt separates, the
> > liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more expensive Greek
> > yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's thicker.
> >
> > Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other stabilizers to
> > minimize the amount of separation.

> Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.

Just pour off the liquid then.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message

>> > Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt separates,
>> > the
>> > liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more expensive Greek
>> > yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's thicker.
>> >
>> > Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other stabilizers to
>> > minimize the amount of separation.

>> Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.

> Just pour off the liquid then.

As I said... She won't eat it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
: ...
: >i am ocd or whatever about food waste so it rarely happens to us, it used
: >to until i started really watching it, food is one of the few places you
: >can actually save money in your budget, its work but it can be done... the
: >dh will eat almost anything as i can if needs be.
: >
[...]

Whey separates from the solids in yogurt awithin a day after i open a
quart. Not problem with that. Only if you see , after a while, off color
o smell, etc.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
: ...
: > In article >,
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: >
: >> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >> >i am ocd or whatever about food waste so it rarely happens to us, it
: >> >used
: >> >to until i started really watching it, food is one of the few places you
: >> >can actually save money in your budget, its work but it can be done...
: >> >the
: >> >dh will eat almost anything as i can if needs be.
: >> >
[...]
: >>
: >> I don't know about the yogurt. I don't eat it but Angela has had some
: >> that
: >> was expired and it was very badly separated. She doesn't eat the kind
: >> with
: >> fruit in it so it should all be the same texture. It wasn't.
: >
: > Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt separates, the
: > liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more expensive Greek
: > yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's thicker.
: >
: > Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other stabilizers to
: > minimize the amount of separation.

: Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.

Tell her to either pour off the whey or sir it with a spoon. Tht's what I
do as I use pints or quarts which take a while to finish it is a constant
condition. I spoon the yogurt on top of my berries at breakfast.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> kind
> : >> with
> : >> fruit in it so it should all be the same texture. It wasn't.
> : >
> : > Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt separates,
> the
> : > liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more expensive Greek
> : > yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's thicker.
> : >
> : > Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other stabilizers to
> : > minimize the amount of separation.
>
> : Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.
>
> Tell her to either pour off the whey or sir it with a spoon. Tht's what I
> do as I use pints or quarts which take a while to finish it is a constant
> condition. I spoon the yogurt on top of my berries at breakfast.

Nope. She won't eat it at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.

> > Just pour off the liquid then.

> As I said... She won't eat it.

Pour off the liquid before she sees it.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message

>> > Just pour off the liquid then.

>> As I said... She won't eat it.

> Pour off the liquid before she sees it.

No. She won't eat food with an old expiration date.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: >> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: >> >> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
: >> >> ...
: >> >> >
: >> >> > Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt separates,
: >> >> > the
: >> >> > liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more expensive
: >> >> > Greek
: >> >> > yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's thicker.
: >> >> >
: >> >> > Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other stabilizers to
: >> >> > minimize the amount of separation.
: >> >>
: >> >> Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.
: >> >
: >> > Just pour off the liquid then.
: >>
: >> As I said... She won't eat it.
: >
: > Pour off the liquid before she sees it.

: No. She won't eat food with an old expiration date.
My yogurt uusually separates well before any expiration date.
You might also let her know that expiration dates do not necessarily mean
that food is bad but she can trust her nose and eyes to check that the
food is ok. Food well before the eapration date can go bad if it has been
badly handled "behind the scenes" at teh store or earlier, so nose and
eyes are always good to use.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> : news > : > In article >,
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : >> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> : >> ...
> : >> > In article >,
> : >> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : >> >> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> : >> >> ...
> : >> >> >
> : >> >> > Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt
> separates,
> : >> >> > the
> : >> >> > liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more expensive
> : >> >> > Greek
> : >> >> > yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's
> thicker.
> : >> >> >
> : >> >> > Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other stabilizers
> : >> >> > minimize the amount of separation.
> : >> >>
> : >> >> Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.
> : >> >
> : >> > Just pour off the liquid then.
> : >>
> : >> As I said... She won't eat it.
> : >
> : > Pour off the liquid before she sees it.
>
> : No. She won't eat food with an old expiration date.
> My yogurt uusually separates well before any expiration date.
> You might also let her know that expiration dates do not necessarily mean
> that food is bad but she can trust her nose and eyes to check that the
> food is ok. Food well before the eapration date can go bad if it has been
> badly handled "behind the scenes" at teh store or earlier, so nose and
> eyes are always good to use.

Heavens no! We do not go by that. We go by expiration dates. Eyes and
nose are no good in that respect. I know people who have gotten very sick
from eating expired food that smelled, looked and tasted fine to them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,

>>> As I said... She won't eat it.

>> Pour off the liquid before she sees it.

> No. She won't eat food with an old expiration date.

Yoghurt is one of those things that gets better the older it is I
can't vouch for kiddy type "yoghurts" but the plain stuff doesn't go off
easily. I eat it up to a month after best by date.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Pour off the liquid before she sees it.

>> No. She won't eat food with an old expiration date.

> Yoghurt is one of those things that gets better the older it is I can't
> vouch for kiddy type "yoghurts" but the plain stuff doesn't go off easily.
> I eat it up to a month after best by date.

I don't eat any type of yogurt so don't know how it should be. She will
usually only eat vanilla flavored. No high fructose corn syrup and she
prefers the lower carb stuff.

She also won't eat sour cream that has separated even though I have told her
that it all seems to do that. Therefore we only buy the small containers of
sour cream because she will toss it once it is separated.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
: > : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: > : >> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
: > : >> ...
: > : >> > In article >,
: > : >> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: > : >> >> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
: > : >> >> ...
: > : >> >> >
: > : >> >> > Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt
: > separates,
: > : >> >> > the
: > : >> >> > liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more expensive
: > : >> >> > Greek
: > : >> >> > yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's
: > thicker.
: > : >> >> >
: > : >> >> > Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other stabilizers
: > : >> >> > minimize the amount of separation.
: > : >> >>
: > : >> >> Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.
: > : >> >
: > : >> > Just pour off the liquid then.
: > : >>
: > : >> As I said... She won't eat it.
: > : >
: > : > Pour off the liquid before she sees it.
: >
: > : No. She won't eat food with an old expiration date.
: > My yogurt uusually separates well before any expiration date.
: > You might also let her know that expiration dates do not necessarily mean
: > that food is bad but she can trust her nose and eyes to check that the
: > food is ok. Food well before the eapration date can go bad if it has been
: > badly handled "behind the scenes" at teh store or earlier, so nose and
: > eyes are always good to use.

: Heavens no! We do not go by that. We go by expiration dates. Eyes and
: nose are no good in that respect. I know people who have gotten very sick
: from eating expired food that smelled, looked and tasted fine to them.

ou can't mean that! Are you really sying that if you opened something in
a package that was not yet at it's expiration date and it smelled "off: or
had funny colored stuff on it you woudl eat it because it had not yet
expired by the package date? That is what you have said.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in
> message
> : > :
> news > : > : > In article >,
> : > : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : > : >> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> : > : >> ...
> : > : >> > In article >,
> : > : >> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : > : >> >> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> : > : >> >> ...
> : > : >> >> >
> : > : >> >> > Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt
> : > separates,
> : > : >> >> > the
> : > : >> >> > liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more
> expensive
> : > : >> >> > Greek
> : > : >> >> > yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's
> : > thicker.
> : > : >> >> >
> : > : >> >> > Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other
> stabilizers
> : > : >> >> > minimize the amount of separation.
> : > : >> >>
> : > : >> >> Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.
> : > : >> >
> : > : >> > Just pour off the liquid then.
> : > : >>
> : > : >> As I said... She won't eat it.
> : > : >
> : > : > Pour off the liquid before she sees it.
> : >
> : > : No. She won't eat food with an old expiration date.
> : > My yogurt uusually separates well before any expiration date.
> : > You might also let her know that expiration dates do not necessarily
> mean
> : > that food is bad but she can trust her nose and eyes to check that the
> : > food is ok. Food well before the eapration date can go bad if it has
> been
> : > badly handled "behind the scenes" at teh store or earlier, so nose and
> : > eyes are always good to use.
>
> : Heavens no! We do not go by that. We go by expiration dates. Eyes and
> : nose are no good in that respect. I know people who have gotten very
> sick
> : from eating expired food that smelled, looked and tasted fine to them.
>
> ou can't mean that! Are you really sying that if you opened something in
> a package that was not yet at it's expiration date and it smelled "off: or
> had funny colored stuff on it you woudl eat it because it had not yet
> expired by the package date? That is what you have said.

Well yes. I certainly DO mean that! Of course if it smelled off or looked
off we wouldn't eat it. But we also wouldn't eat it if it was past its
expiration date and smelled and looked fine. We just don't eat food past
the expiration date.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> > Are you really sying that if you opened something in
> > a package that was not yet at it's expiration date and it smelled "off: or
> > had funny colored stuff on it you woudl eat it because it had not yet
> > expired by the package date? That is what you have said.

> Well yes. I certainly DO mean that! Of course if it smelled off or looked
> off we wouldn't eat it.

*sigh*

> But we also wouldn't eat it if it was past its
> expiration date and smelled and looked fine. We just don't eat food past
> the expiration date.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/6/2012 7:36 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> I often have bread go moledy before the date. I don't fuss about the
> date, just check the bread when I open the package. Much of my bread is
> stored in the freezer as it is often hard to find low carb stuff
> regularly. SNIP When I was young the bakery breads my Mother used had none of the
> chemicals that help keep it fresh like sodium proprianate(sp?) so looking
> for mold was standard procedure and here were no expiration or sell by
> dates. Canned food is often just fine for a very long tie after the date
> on the lid. The quality may be less good, but it is not uhealthy or
> spoiled, Of course, if the can is at all swollen or oozing, no matter the
> date it is very dangerous.
>
> Wendy

OMG, you used COMMON SENSE?

what will they think of next?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/7/2012 8:18 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Well yes. I certainly DO mean that! Of course if it smelled off or looked
> off we wouldn't eat it. But we also wouldn't eat it if it was past its
> expiration date and smelled and looked fine. We just don't eat food past
> the expiration date.

which are written by LAWYERS as a WORST CASE possibility

no, having said that........... i've got home with milk, in an a/c
vehicle when i pick the milk LAST.......... and the milk didn't make it
to the expiry date

i also have salad dressing 6 mo past the 'expiry date' that is doing
just fine

all depends on the delivery date/systems

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/6/2012 11:33 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> Yoghurt is one of those things that gets better the older it is I
> can't vouch for kiddy type "yoghurts" but the plain stuff doesn't go off
> easily. I eat it up to a month after best by date.

oh, but don't you have to STIR IT BACK IN (emphasis not yelling as has
been determined............. or "stir it back in" according to others)

I always STIR MY MILK PROducts (sorry cap lock stuck)

but then, HOMOGINIZED and PASTURISED milk were................. rather
new on the scene............. i grabbed the butter off the top of the
milk jug

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/7/2012 12:32 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Peppermint > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> In >,

>>> No. She won't eat food with an old expiration date.

>> Yoghurt is one of those things that gets better the older it is I can't
>> vouch for kiddy type "yoghurts" but the plain stuff doesn't go off easily.
>> I eat it up to a month after best by date.

> I don't eat any type of yogurt so don't know how it should be. She will
> usually only eat vanilla flavored. No high fructose corn syrup and she
> prefers the lower carb stuff.
>
> She also won't eat sour cream that has separated even though I have told her
> that it all seems to do that. Therefore we only buy the small containers of
> sour cream because she will toss it once it is separated.

stir it? separation is NATURAL and NORMAL???
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/7/2012 12:32 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> Yoghurt is one of those things that gets better the older it is I
>>> can't
>>> vouch for kiddy type "yoghurts" but the plain stuff doesn't go off
>>> easily.
>>> I eat it up to a month after best by date.

>> I don't eat any type of yogurt so don't know how it should be. She will
>> usually only eat vanilla flavored. No high fructose corn syrup and she
>> prefers the lower carb stuff.
>>
>> She also won't eat sour cream that has separated even though I have told
>> her
>> that it all seems to do that. Therefore we only buy the small containers
>> of
>> sour cream because she will toss it once it is separated.
>>

> stir it? separation is NATURAL and NORMAL???

Dunno. I have an extreme dislike for sour cream. I won't eat it at all. I
just buy the small containers and it's all good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/02/2012 1:18 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "W. > wrote in message
>> Julie > wrote:
>>
>> : "W. > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> :> Julie > wrote:
>> :>
>> :> : "Peppermint > wrote in
>> message
>> :> :
>> news >> :> :> In >,
>> :> :> "Julie > wrote:
>> :> :>> "Alice > wrote in message
>> :> :>> ...
>> :> :>> > In >,
>> :> :>> > "Julie > wrote:
>> :> :>> >> "Alice > wrote in message
>> :> :>> >> ...
>> :> :>> >> >
>> :> :>> >> > Yoghurt has milk solids and whey in it. When your yoghurt
>> :> separates,
>> :> :>> >> > the
>> :> :>> >> > liquid is the whey. You can just pour it off. The more
>> expensive
>> :> :>> >> > Greek
>> :> :>> >> > yoghurt has all the whey strained out, which is why it's
>> :> thicker.
>> :> :>> >> >
>> :> :>> >> > Some cheaper brands of yoghurt have gelatin or other
>> stabilizers
>> :> :>> >> > minimize the amount of separation.
>> :> :>> >>
>> :> :>> >> Well, she won't eat it if it is that way.
>> :> :>> >
>> :> :>> > Just pour off the liquid then.
>> :> :>>
>> :> :>> As I said... She won't eat it.
>> :> :>
>> :> :> Pour off the liquid before she sees it.
>> :>
>> :> : No. She won't eat food with an old expiration date.
>> :> My yogurt uusually separates well before any expiration date.
>> :> You might also let her know that expiration dates do not necessarily
>> mean
>> :> that food is bad but she can trust her nose and eyes to check that the
>> :> food is ok. Food well before the eapration date can go bad if it has
>> been
>> :> badly handled "behind the scenes" at teh store or earlier, so nose and
>> :> eyes are always good to use.
>>
>> : Heavens no! We do not go by that. We go by expiration dates. Eyes and
>> : nose are no good in that respect. I know people who have gotten very
>> sick
>> : from eating expired food that smelled, looked and tasted fine to them.
>>
>> ou can't mean that! Are you really sying that if you opened something in
>> a package that was not yet at it's expiration date and it smelled "off: or
>> had funny colored stuff on it you woudl eat it because it had not yet
>> expired by the package date? That is what you have said.

> Well yes. I certainly DO mean that! Of course if it smelled off or looked
> off we wouldn't eat it. But we also wouldn't eat it if it was past its
> expiration date and smelled and looked fine. We just don't eat food past
> the expiration date.

please don't tell anyone but I ate mouldy and smelly stuff yesterday and
enjoyed every mouthful of it If you haven't tried White Costello cheese
do yourself a favour it's to die for, not as strong as their blue cheese
but a splendid taste.
BTW I never look at expiration dates here they are called use by not
"throw out dates"
--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"RodS" > wrote in message ...
> [...]
>>> a package that was not yet at it's expiration date and it smelled "off:
>>> or
>>> had funny colored stuff on it you woudl eat it because it had not yet
>>> expired by the package date? That is what you have said.

>> Well yes. I certainly DO mean that! Of course if it smelled off or
>> looked
>> off we wouldn't eat it. But we also wouldn't eat it if it was past its
>> expiration date and smelled and looked fine. We just don't eat food past
>> the expiration date.
>>

> please don't tell anyone but I ate mouldy and smelly stuff yesterday and
> enjoyed every mouthful of it If you haven't tried White Costello cheese do
> yourself a favour it's to die for, not as strong as their blue cheese but
> a splendid taste.
> BTW I never look at expiration dates here they are called use by not

There are different kinds of dates here. Some are "sell by", some are "use
by", some are "best by" and some are "exp".

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/8/2012 5:35 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> And the size of the fridge, as well as the ambient temperature in the
> kitchen. I keep butter on the counter in the winter, but in the fridge
> in the summer.

ditto

i also have a butter well that can be used during the 'inbetween' temp
ranges......... some cold water in the bottom of the well and the butter
is stuff into the 'stick' that rests above the water

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> I've never seen it nor heard of it before. Have to take a gander
> around... no, I don't mean walk a goose!
>
> Susan

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

> "Susan" > wrote in message
>
>> I've never seen it nor heard of it before. Have to take a gander
>> around... no, I don't mean walk a goose!
>>
>> Susan

> Cheri

An exercise in my Java course is simulating - by means of a linked circular
list - "duck duck goose" ...

Bjørn, working on INF1010 at uio.no
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

being in food service all these years says the expri dat only serves two
functions, first is to cover the legal bumps for a seller, and second to
make you throw out perfectly good food for the same reason, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]
>> : > eyes are always good to use.
>>
>> : Heavens no! We do not go by that. We go by expiration dates. Eyes
>> and
>> : nose are no good in that respect. I know people who have gotten very
>> sick
>> : from eating expired food that smelled, looked and tasted fine to them.
>>
>> ou can't mean that! Are you really sying that if you opened something in
>> a package that was not yet at it's expiration date and it smelled "off:
>> or
>> had funny colored stuff on it you woudl eat it because it had not yet
>> expired by the package date? That is what you have said.

> Well yes. I certainly DO mean that! Of course if it smelled off or
> looked off we wouldn't eat it. But we also wouldn't eat it if it was past
> its expiration date and smelled and looked fine. We just don't eat food

Member

I dont ever like to be waste food at all
i ever enjoy this great and awesome working

sleep number m7 bed l sleep number m7 bed l sleep number i10 bed

Last edited by manuelaa12 : 05-03-2012 at 01:29 PM