Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default experimented with diet this week..

I have low carb/spiked since dx and have boosted exercise and reduced meds.

So I figured I would give a diet change a try...lower calorie so that wouldn’t
be a factor and kept up my exercise intensity..only change was what I ate.

the sort of changes I tried was one slice of whole grain bread..7 carb with
butter and eggs for breakfast....

a fourth of a banana in my protein shakes and rice cake or a cup popcorn for
a snack.

all "healthy diet" choices.

I just wanted to see if food choices that weren't over the top in carbs or
calories would be doable for me at all

well it was a total flop..my bg slowly crept up and up and at max was 165 at
which point I stopped.

the thing is unlike other times I've strayed like the work xmas party where
I treated myself to a roll etc with dinner...I FEEL those rises and falls
keenly..this was a creeping rise I had zero feel of and only knew through
testing which I found interesting.

so for ME..it just isn't possible to eat those foods sadly..I'm glad for
others who can but I cant and I gave it a fair try..trust me I wanted it to
work..but when a 35 calorie plain rice cake with 7 carb spikes you to
165..it’s a sign...lol

ahh well was just a week and I am back to the way of eating I know keeps me
off the meds and in a good range..and in a range I can feel if something's
amiss..

KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this is just so the right way... there truly is no one size fits all,
finding what works best for you is the only way to live life, Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message ...
>I have low carb/spiked since dx and have boosted exercise and reduced meds.
>
> So I figured I would give a diet change a try...lower calorie so that
> wouldn’t be a factor and kept up my exercise intensity..only change was
> what I ate.
>
> the sort of changes I tried was one slice of whole grain bread..7 carb
> with butter and eggs for breakfast....
>
> a fourth of a banana in my protein shakes and rice cake or a cup popcorn
> for a snack.
>
> all "healthy diet" choices.
>
> I just wanted to see if food choices that weren't over the top in carbs or
> calories would be doable for me at all
>
> well it was a total flop..my bg slowly crept up and up and at max was 165
> at which point I stopped.
>
> the thing is unlike other times I've strayed like the work xmas party
> where I treated myself to a roll etc with dinner...I FEEL those rises and
> falls keenly..this was a creeping rise I had zero feel of and only knew
> through testing which I found interesting.
>

> so for ME..it just isn't possible to eat those foods sadly..I'm glad for
> others who can but I cant and I gave it a fair try..trust me I wanted it
> to work..but when a 35 calorie plain rice cake with 7 carb spikes you to
> 165..it’s a sign...lol
>
> ahh well was just a week and I am back to the way of eating I know keeps
> me off the meds and in a good range..and in a range I can feel if
> something's amiss..
>

> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Breakfast might always be a problem for carbs. Are you having the
extra carb well away from meals? As in mid afternoon? If its not a
sensitive question, are you overweight? And if you are is the extra
weight muscle or some fat?

"KROM" > wrote in message
> I have low carb/spiked since dx and have boosted exercise and reduced
> meds.
>
> So I figured I would give a diet change a try...lower calorie so that
> wouldn’t be a factor and kept up my exercise intensity..only change
> was what I ate.
>
> the sort of changes I tried was one slice of whole grain bread..7 carb
> with butter and eggs for breakfast....
>
> a fourth of a banana in my protein shakes and rice cake or a cup
> popcorn for a snack.
>
> all "healthy diet" choices.
>
> I just wanted to see if food choices that weren't over the top in
> carbs or calories would be doable for me at all
>
> well it was a total flop..my bg slowly crept up and up and at max was
> 165 at which point I stopped.
>
> the thing is unlike other times I've strayed like the work xmas party
> where I treated myself to a roll etc with dinner...I FEEL those rises
> and falls keenly..this was a creeping rise I had zero feel of and only
> knew through testing which I found interesting.
>

> so for ME..it just isn't possible to eat those foods sadly..I'm glad
> for others who can but I cant and I gave it a fair try..trust me I
> wanted it to work..but when a 35 calorie plain rice cake with 7 carb
> spikes you to 165..it’s a sign...lol
>
> ahh well was just a week and I am back to the way of eating I know
> keeps me off the meds and in a good range..and in a range I can feel
> if something's amiss..
>

> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

well its been years of one way and other here have been successful in
returning to a semi normal diet after years of control.

I guess my system was too far gone...

I wasnt crazy..an example would be I eat a plain chicken breast and
broccoli for dinner most every night...I added a tiny skin on potato that I
ate with greek yogurt that I strained thru cheese cloth to make it even
thicker with fresh chives.

so while I can now randomly do that every so often and not have it effect
me..doing this as a regular meal plan I cannot.
it doesnt effect me day one or two but day 3 I'm permanently risen in bg

ahh well was a learning thing

KROM

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
>I have low carb/spiked since dx and have boosted exercise and reduced meds.
>
> So I figured I would give a diet change a try...lower calorie so that
> wouldnt be a factor and kept up my exercise intensity..only change was
> what I ate.
>
> the sort of changes I tried was one slice of whole grain bread..7 carb
> with butter and eggs for breakfast....
>
> a fourth of a banana in my protein shakes and rice cake or a cup popcorn
> for a snack.
>
> all "healthy diet" choices.
>
> I just wanted to see if food choices that weren't over the top in carbs or
> calories would be doable for me at all
>
> well it was a total flop..my bg slowly crept up and up and at max was 165
> at which point I stopped.
>
> the thing is unlike other times I've strayed like the work xmas party
> where I treated myself to a roll etc with dinner...I FEEL those rises and
> falls keenly..this was a creeping rise I had zero feel of and only knew
> through testing which I found interesting.
>

> so for ME..it just isn't possible to eat those foods sadly..I'm glad for
> others who can but I cant and I gave it a fair try..trust me I wanted it
> to work..but when a 35 calorie plain rice cake with 7 carb spikes you to
> 165..its a sign...lol
>
> ahh well was just a week and I am back to the way of eating I know keeps
> me off the meds and in a good range..and in a range I can feel if
> something's amiss..
>

> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'm a amateur body builder who works out two hours a day when I first got
sick I put on 50 pounds but lost that the first year of control.

that’s why I felt good about trying it out..especially since if say eat a
fourth of a banana in my protein shake once a month doesn’t effect me so I
got cocky..lol

its no biggie I eat such a variety of foods..not eat a slice of bread or
tiny potato with dinner isn't a big deal.

KROM

"KROM" > wrote in message
> I have low carb/spiked since dx and have boosted exercise and reduced
> meds.
>
> So I figured I would give a diet change a try...lower calorie so that
> wouldn’t be a factor and kept up my exercise intensity..only change was
> what I ate.
>
> the sort of changes I tried was one slice of whole grain bread..7 carb
> with butter and eggs for breakfast....
>
> a fourth of a banana in my protein shakes and rice cake or a cup popcorn
> for a snack.
>
> all "healthy diet" choices.
>
> I just wanted to see if food choices that weren't over the top in carbs or
> calories would be doable for me at all
>
> well it was a total flop..my bg slowly crept up and up and at max was 165
> at which point I stopped.
>
> the thing is unlike other times I've strayed like the work xmas party
> where I treated myself to a roll etc with dinner...I FEEL those rises and
> falls keenly..this was a creeping rise I had zero feel of and only knew
> through testing which I found interesting.
>

> so for ME..it just isn't possible to eat those foods sadly..I'm glad for
> others who can but I cant and I gave it a fair try..trust me I wanted it
> to work..but when a 35 calorie plain rice cake with 7 carb spikes you to
> 165..it’s a sign...lol
>
> ahh well was just a week and I am back to the way of eating I know keeps
> me off the meds and in a good range..and in a range I can feel if
> something's amiss..
>

> KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:56:44 -0500, "KROM" > wrote:

>well its been years of one way and other here have been successful in
>returning to a semi normal diet after years of control.
>
>I guess my system was too far gone...
>
>I wasn’t crazy..an example would be I eat a plain chicken breast and
>broccoli for dinner most every night...I added a tiny skin on potato that I
>ate with greek yogurt that I strained thru cheese cloth to make it even
>thicker with fresh chives.
>
>so while I can now randomly do that every so often and not have it effect
>me..doing this as a regular meal plan I cannot.
>it doesn’t effect me day one or two but day 3 I'm permanently risen in bg

This sounds pretty familiar -- once or twice a week, maybe, with no
problem. But more than two or three days in a row, and the BG creep
kicks in. It's frustrating.

I don't know what meds you're on, but have you thought about adjusting
them? Or are have you decided you definitely don't want to go that
way?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes it was definitely a creep up on me thing.

no I have been getting off the meds so dont wish to go back.

I can maintain excellent control with diet and exercise so thats the way
I'm going to go..

like I said it was just a experiment to see if I could add those things back
in to my normal diet which is fine for me.

a slice of bread or bit of banana was nice but not a big deal..I wont miss
them much..especially since they harm me...and I know I can have them every
so often..just not regularly..like you say one day fine..two pushing
it..three harm.

KROM

"BlueBrooke" wrote ...