Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default testing meters/strips

i am considering getting another meter, as those of you who read some of my
posts here i went through a testing phase to see what foods affected me and
to try and keep my levels in order, this was partly a learnin g experience
for me because of having a diabetic brother and partly as general education
for me of how my body reacts to specific foods... it is now that time of
year and since the other meter burnt up i am going to try and get a talking
meter, but i thought before i started looking, when last i looked there were
several on the market, i was wondering if anyone had a particular brand of
strip or meter they liked, i thought with experienced long term users i
might be able to eliminate a few choices, I am also interested in what
meters and strips you wouldn't buy again,

Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Biggest cost here is the meter not the strips so I went for a relatively
cheap meter. When the battery went flat I rang Roche and they sent me a
Accu Chek Performa for free. I am happy with it as I need no bells and
whistles like uploading data to computer etc and its close to my lab
fasting reading. You may be ok with the cheap ones from Walmart is it?
They apparently have cheaper strips. The main thing to look for if you
aren't an apparent diabetic is to see the size of any rise, not the
actual reading itself. That part ends to be consistent. US readers might
chime in here.

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> i am considering getting another meter, as those of you who read some
> of my posts here i went through a testing phase to see what foods
> affected me and to try and keep my levels in order, this was partly a
> learnin g experience for me because of having a diabetic brother and
> partly as general education for me of how my body reacts to specific
> foods... it is now that time of year and since the other meter burnt
> up i am going to try and get a talking meter, but i thought before i
> started looking, when last i looked there were several on the market,
> i was wondering if anyone had a particular brand of strip or meter
> they liked, i thought with experienced long term users i might be able
> to eliminate a few choices, I am also interested in what meters and
> strips you wouldn't buy again,
>
> Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Biggest cost here is the meter not the strips so I went for a relatively
> cheap meter. When the battery went flat I rang Roche and they sent me a
> Accu Chek Performa for free. I am happy with it as I need no bells and
> whistles like uploading data to computer etc and its close to my lab
> fasting reading. You may be ok with the cheap ones from Walmart is it?
> They apparently have cheaper strips. The main thing to look for if you
> aren't an apparent diabetic is to see the size of any rise, not the
> actual reading itself. That part ends to be consistent. US readers might
> chime in here.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> > i am considering getting another meter, as those of you who read some
> > of my posts here i went through a testing phase to see what foods
> > affected me and to try and keep my levels in order, this was partly a
> > learnin g experience for me because of having a diabetic brother and
> > partly as general education for me of how my body reacts to specific
> > foods... it is now that time of year and since the other meter burnt
> > up i am going to try and get a talking meter, but i thought before i
> > started looking, when last i looked there were several on the market,
> > i was wondering if anyone had a particular brand of strip or meter
> > they liked, i thought with experienced long term users i might be able
> > to eliminate a few choices, I am also interested in what meters and
> > strips you wouldn't buy again,
> >
> > Lee

I've always gotten my meters free. The one before last from my endo, the last
one, which I have yet to open, from my last hospitalization. As far as I'm
concerned, they all act the same
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/6/2011 12:41 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i am considering getting another meter, as those of you who read some of my
> posts here i went through a testing phase to see what foods affected me and
> to try and keep my levels in order, this was partly a learnin g experience
> for me because of having a diabetic brother and partly as general education
> for me of how my body reacts to specific foods... it is now that time of
> year and since the other meter burnt up i am going to try and get a talking
> meter, but i thought before i started looking, when last i looked there were
> several on the market, i was wondering if anyone had a particular brand of
> strip or meter they liked, i thought with experienced long term users i
> might be able to eliminate a few choices, I am also interested in what
> meters and strips you wouldn't buy again,
>
> Lee

I use a talking meter, because that was the easiest kind
to get, not because I really need to.

CLEVER CHOICE Auto-Code Voice Blood Glucose Meter

The model number is too small to read.

However, there's a phone number of the back for
ordering more - 888-777-0737.

Works reasonably well, but apparently only with their
brand of strips:

Clever Choice Voice Blood Glucose Test Strips

You should be able to order the strips through the same
phone number.

One batch of bad strips so far - the blood wouldn't go
into about half of them. Several better batches.

I've also used the Advocate TD-4223 talking meter.
The meter is OK except for a tendency to give strange
readings if the batteries run low. However, as far
as I can tell, the matching brand of strips are now
just too poor in quality to use.

Advocate Glucose Test Strips

I suppose you already know that most of the companies
making the meters make them so they'll work properly
only with their own brand of strips.

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Biggest cost here is the meter not the strips so I went for a relatively
> cheap meter. When the battery went flat I rang Roche and they sent me a
> Accu Chek Performa for free. I am happy with it as I need no bells and
> whistles like uploading data to computer etc and its close to my lab
> fasting reading. You may be ok with the cheap ones from Walmart is it?
> They apparently have cheaper strips. The main thing to look for if you
> aren't an apparent diabetic is to see the size of any rise, not the actual
> reading itself. That part ends to be consistent. US readers might chime in
> here.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> i am considering getting another meter, as those of you who read some of
>> my posts here i went through a testing phase to see what foods affected
>> me and to try and keep my levels in order, this was partly a learnin g
>> experience for me because of having a diabetic brother and partly as
>> general education for me of how my body reacts to specific foods... it is
>> now that time of year and since the other meter burnt up i am going to
>> try and get a talking meter, but i thought before i started looking, when
>> last i looked there were several on the market, i was wondering if anyone
>> had a particular brand of strip or meter they liked, i thought with
>> experienced long term users i might be able to eliminate a few choices, I
>> am also interested in what meters and strips you wouldn't buy again,
>>
>> Lee

Yes, I like the Wal-Mart ReliOn meter fine or the Walgreen's True-Track..
The strips are much cheaper. Some have said that they're not very accurate,
but I haven't found that to be true. I have several meters, all received
free, the strips are costly for most of them. I have Medicare and other
insurance now, but for the time being I have strips left from a dear lady in
Canada who sent me a ton of Accu-Check strips a couple of years ago.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles > wrote:
: On 9/6/2011 12:41 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
: > i am considering getting another meter, as those of you who read some of my
: > posts here i went through a testing phase to see what foods affected me and
: > to try and keep my levels in order, this was partly a learnin g experience
: > for me because of having a diabetic brother and partly as general education
: > for me of how my body reacts to specific foods... it is now that time of
: > year and since the other meter burnt up i am going to try and get a talking
: > meter, but i thought before i started looking, when last i looked there were
: > several on the market, i was wondering if anyone had a particular brand of
: > strip or meter they liked, i thought with experienced long term users i
: > might be able to eliminate a few choices, I am also interested in what
: > meters and strips you wouldn't buy again,
: >
[...]

Iff you can get a meter for free or very low cost with a rebate, you would
want to make sure that yoru insurance covers that brand of strips.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, when i did this before twice i think, the point was both to see what
foods affected me, and what the sil called habitual rises were and that they
were consistent, thanks, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Biggest cost here is the meter not the strips so I went for a relatively
> cheap meter. When the battery went flat I rang Roche and they sent me a
> Accu Chek Performa for free. I am happy with it as I need no bells and
> whistles like uploading data to computer etc and its close to my lab
> fasting reading. You may be ok with the cheap ones from Walmart is it?
> They apparently have cheaper strips. The main thing to look for if you
> aren't an apparent diabetic is to see the size of any rise, not the actual
> reading itself. That part ends to be consistent. US readers might chime in
> here.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> i am considering getting another meter, as those of you who read some of
>> my posts here i went through a testing phase to see what foods affected
>> me and to try and keep my levels in order, this was partly a learnin g
>> experience for me because of having a diabetic brother and partly as
>> general education for me of how my body reacts to specific foods... it is
>> now that time of year and since the other meter burnt up i am going to
>> try and get a talking meter, but i thought before i started looking, when
>> last i looked there were several on the market, i was wondering if anyone
>> had a particular brand of strip or meter they liked, i thought with
>> experienced long term users i might be able to eliminate a few choices, I
>> am also interested in what meters and strips you wouldn't buy again,
>>
>> Lee

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks so much saved in research file, Lee
"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 9/6/2011 12:41 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i am considering getting another meter, as those of you who read some of
>> my
>> posts here i went through a testing phase to see what foods affected me
>> and
>> to try and keep my levels in order, this was partly a learnin g
>> experience
>> for me because of having a diabetic brother and partly as general
>> education
>> for me of how my body reacts to specific foods... it is now that time of
>> year and since the other meter burnt up i am going to try and get a
>> talking
>> meter, but i thought before i started looking, when last i looked there
>> were
>> several on the market, i was wondering if anyone had a particular brand
>> of
>> strip or meter they liked, i thought with experienced long term users i
>> might be able to eliminate a few choices, I am also interested in what
>> meters and strips you wouldn't buy again,
>>
>> Lee

> I use a talking meter, because that was the easiest kind
> to get, not because I really need to.
>
> CLEVER CHOICE Auto-Code Voice Blood Glucose Meter
>
> The model number is too small to read.
>
> However, there's a phone number of the back for
> ordering more - 888-777-0737.
>
> Works reasonably well, but apparently only with their
> brand of strips:
>
> Clever Choice Voice Blood Glucose Test Strips
>
> You should be able to order the strips through the same
> phone number.
>
> One batch of bad strips so far - the blood wouldn't go
> into about half of them. Several better batches.
>

> I've also used the Advocate TD-4223 talking meter.
> The meter is OK except for a tendency to give strange
> readings if the batteries run low. However, as far
> as I can tell, the matching brand of strips are now
> just too poor in quality to use.
>
> Advocate Glucose Test Strips
>

> I suppose you already know that most of the companies
> making the meters make them so they'll work properly
> only with their own brand of strips.
>
> Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Robert Miles > wrote:
> : On 9/6/2011 12:41 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> : > i am considering getting another meter, as those of you who read some
> of my
> : > posts here i went through a testing phase to see what foods affected
> me and
> : > to try and keep my levels in order, this was partly a learnin g
> experience
> : > for me because of having a diabetic brother and partly as general
> education
> : > for me of how my body reacts to specific foods... it is now that time
> of
> : > year and since the other meter burnt up i am going to try and get a
> talking
> : > meter, but i thought before i started looking, when last i looked
> there were
> : > several on the market, i was wondering if anyone had a particular
> brand of
> : > strip or meter they liked, i thought with experienced long term users
> : > might be able to eliminate a few choices, I am also interested in what
> : > meters and strips you wouldn't buy again,
> : >
> : > Lee
>
> : I use a talking meter, because that was the easiest kind
> : to get, not because I really need to.
>
> : CLEVER CHOICE Auto-Code Voice Blood Glucose Meter
>
> : The model number is too small to read.
>
> : However, there's a phone number of the back for
> : ordering more - 888-777-0737.
>
> : Works reasonably well, but apparently only with their
> : brand of strips:
>
> : Clever Choice Voice Blood Glucose Test Strips
>
> : You should be able to order the strips through the same
> : phone number.
>
> : One batch of bad strips so far - the blood wouldn't go
> : into about half of them. Several better batches.
>

> : I've also used the Advocate TD-4223 talking meter.
> : The meter is OK except for a tendency to give strange
> : readings if the batteries run low. However, as far
> : as I can tell, the matching brand of strips are now
> : just too poor in quality to use.
>
> : Advocate Glucose Test Strips
>

> : I suppose you already know that most of the companies
> : making the meters make them so they'll work properly
> : only with their own brand of strips.
>
> : Robert Miles
>
> Iff you can get a meter for free or very low cost with a rebate, you would
> want to make sure that yoru insurance covers that brand of strips.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

what a wonderful thing for her to do, Lee

pH meters Dick Heckman[_2_] Winemaking 6 26-08-2008 02:29 PM
FS: Freestyle lancets and testing strips: fly-girl Diabetic 13 16-08-2008 05:05 PM
FS: Freestyle lancets and testing strips fly-girl Diabetic 0 28-07-2008 02:54 PM
Refractometers and PH meters Dick Heckman[_2_] Winemaking 1 20-07-2008 01:54 PM