Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Food prices

Okay I know this applies to everyone and not just diabetics. But has anyone
else noticed extreme changes in prices in the past few months? One example.
At Winco, I bought some Ragu Cheddar Cheese Sauce for $1.48. Angela liked
it so I bought another jar. Same price. I won't buy it again because I got
sick both times after eating it. Not sure why.

Anyway... I had noticed that the price of that had gone up a bit maybe 2 or
3 weeks ago. We bought two jars of Ragu Alfredo Sauce at that time and they
were the same as the cheese sauce.

And now today? $2.68 for the same stuff!

I don't know if it's just the dairy or what. I bought some other canned
cheese sauce for nachos and I could have sworn when I first bought it, it
was just over a dollar a can. But now the price is waaaay higher. I didn't
buy any today or even go down that aisle so I don't know what today's price
was.

I also noticed at Albertsons, their Shopper's Value chips (all kinds) went
from $1.50 a bag up to $1.78.

Most of the time I don't really pay much mind to prices. I just buy what I
want. But we are having to tighten our belts since my husband bought that
new car. I have to make up for the payment somewhere. And that means
cutting back on food because pretty much all of our other expenses are
fixed. We don't take vacations, we don't do a lot of fun stuff that would
cost money. So I can't cut back there.

I did notice the first few times we went to Winco the prices were so cheap I
told Angela she could put whatever she wanted in the shopping cart. And the
last couple of times we went, I spent about twice what I thought the total
would be! Guess I really need to pay attention to the prices from now on.

The good thing is, QFC sent me a ton of coupons for their store and several
of them are for free things. So the next time we need groceries, we will go
there and just make do with what we can get.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Okay I know this applies to everyone and not just diabetics. But has
> anyone else noticed extreme changes in prices in the past few months? One
> example. At Winco, I bought some Ragu Cheddar Cheese Sauce for $1.48.
> Angela liked it so I bought another jar. Same price. I won't buy it
> again because I got sick both times after eating it. Not sure why.
>
> Anyway... I had noticed that the price of that had gone up a bit maybe 2
> or 3 weeks ago. We bought two jars of Ragu Alfredo Sauce at that time and
> they were the same as the cheese sauce.
>
> And now today? $2.68 for the same stuff!
>
> I don't know if it's just the dairy or what. I bought some other canned
> cheese sauce for nachos and I could have sworn when I first bought it, it
> was just over a dollar a can. But now the price is waaaay higher. I
> didn't buy any today or even go down that aisle so I don't know what
> today's price was.
>
> I also noticed at Albertsons, their Shopper's Value chips (all kinds) went
> from $1.50 a bag up to $1.78.
>
> Most of the time I don't really pay much mind to prices. I just buy what
> I want. But we are having to tighten our belts since my husband bought
> that new car. I have to make up for the payment somewhere. And that
> means cutting back on food because pretty much all of our other expenses
> are fixed. We don't take vacations, we don't do a lot of fun stuff that
> would cost money. So I can't cut back there.
>
> I did notice the first few times we went to Winco the prices were so cheap
> I told Angela she could put whatever she wanted in the shopping cart. And
> the last couple of times we went, I spent about twice what I thought the
> total would be! Guess I really need to pay attention to the prices from
> now on.
>
> The good thing is, QFC sent me a ton of coupons for their store and
> several of them are for free things. So the next time we need groceries,
> we will go there and just make do with what we can get.

Yes, they've really jumped in CA. Ridiculous really. I'm really glad that I
don't have children at home anymore, and wonder how some families are making
it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Okay I know this applies to everyone and not just diabetics. But has
>> anyone else noticed extreme changes in prices in the past few months?
>> One example. At Winco, I bought some Ragu Cheddar Cheese Sauce for $1.48.
>> Angela liked it so I bought another jar. Same price. I won't buy it
>> again because I got sick both times after eating it. Not sure why.
>>
>> Anyway... I had noticed that the price of that had gone up a bit maybe 2
>> or 3 weeks ago. We bought two jars of Ragu Alfredo Sauce at that time
>> and they were the same as the cheese sauce.
>>
>> And now today? $2.68 for the same stuff!
>>
>> I don't know if it's just the dairy or what. I bought some other canned
>> cheese sauce for nachos and I could have sworn when I first bought it, it
>> was just over a dollar a can. But now the price is waaaay higher. I
>> didn't buy any today or even go down that aisle so I don't know what
>> today's price was.
>>
>> I also noticed at Albertsons, their Shopper's Value chips (all kinds)
>> went from $1.50 a bag up to $1.78.
>>
>> Most of the time I don't really pay much mind to prices. I just buy what
>> I want. But we are having to tighten our belts since my husband bought
>> that new car. I have to make up for the payment somewhere. And that
>> means cutting back on food because pretty much all of our other expenses
>> are fixed. We don't take vacations, we don't do a lot of fun stuff that
>> would cost money. So I can't cut back there.
>>
>> I did notice the first few times we went to Winco the prices were so
>> cheap I told Angela she could put whatever she wanted in the shopping
>> cart. And the last couple of times we went, I spent about twice what I
>> thought the total would be! Guess I really need to pay attention to the
>> prices from now on.
>>
>> The good thing is, QFC sent me a ton of coupons for their store and
>> several of them are for free things. So the next time we need groceries,
>> we will go there and just make do with what we can get.

> Yes, they've really jumped in CA. Ridiculous really. I'm really glad that
> I don't have children at home anymore, and wonder how some families are
> making it.

I was watching what people bought today. I didn't see anyone buying junk
food and not a lot of meat. Mainly things like produce and giant bags of
tortillas.

I got a paper in the mail today for free and reduced price lunches. The
paltry amount you would have to make to qualify for those is certainly not
enough to live off of here. But based on my SSDI alone (for me and for
Angela) we would qualify. Thankfully we have my husband's income.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

groceries are way up, I'm tellin ya, looking at the sale ads on line before
you ever leave the house is the only way to go, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Okay I know this applies to everyone and not just diabetics. But has
> anyone else noticed extreme changes in prices in the past few months? One
> example. At Winco, I bought some Ragu Cheddar Cheese Sauce for $1.48.
> Angela liked it so I bought another jar. Same price. I won't buy it
> again because I got sick both times after eating it. Not sure why.
>
> Anyway... I had noticed that the price of that had gone up a bit maybe 2
> or 3 weeks ago. We bought two jars of Ragu Alfredo Sauce at that time and
> they were the same as the cheese sauce.
>
> And now today? $2.68 for the same stuff!
>
> I don't know if it's just the dairy or what. I bought some other canned
> cheese sauce for nachos and I could have sworn when I first bought it, it
> was just over a dollar a can. But now the price is waaaay higher. I
> didn't buy any today or even go down that aisle so I don't know what
> today's price was.
>
> I also noticed at Albertsons, their Shopper's Value chips (all kinds) went
> from $1.50 a bag up to $1.78.
>
> Most of the time I don't really pay much mind to prices. I just buy what
> I want. But we are having to tighten our belts since my husband bought
> that new car. I have to make up for the payment somewhere. And that
> means cutting back on food because pretty much all of our other expenses
> are fixed. We don't take vacations, we don't do a lot of fun stuff that
> would cost money. So I can't cut back there.
>
> I did notice the first few times we went to Winco the prices were so cheap
> I told Angela she could put whatever she wanted in the shopping cart. And
> the last couple of times we went, I spent about twice what I thought the
> total would be! Guess I really need to pay attention to the prices from
> now on.
>
> The good thing is, QFC sent me a ton of coupons for their store and
> several of them are for free things. So the next time we need groceries,
> we will go there and just make do with what we can get.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> groceries are way up, I'm tellin ya, looking at the sale ads on line
> before you ever leave the house is the only way to go, Lee

I hear ya.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i mean if you gott a have it you do but at least you can shop for the best
price, and since you coupon it can help use those better as well...
yesterday's one day sale at county market offerred an eight oz new yourk
strip for 3.50 sorry seven dollars a lb isn't a sale to me, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> groceries are way up, I'm tellin ya, looking at the sale ads on line
>> before you ever leave the house is the only way to go, Lee

> I hear ya.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/13/2011 7:48 AM, Alice Faber wrote:
> As a data point, farmstand lettuce around here is c. 50ΒΆ/head more than
> last year; tomatoes are $1/pound more than last year. Fresh corn on the
> cob is the same as last year, but, obviously, I buy much less of it. The
> CSA equivalent that my farmstand has is $90 for a $100 gift card. I have
> less left on my card than I had at this time last year, and I haven't
> bought pickles (for me) and jam (for my mother), or, earlier in the
> year, flats of flowers to transplant.

You bring up another point here, Alice

the 'big guys' are taking over, transporting foods from continent to
continent and underselling the local producers

if we don't make a POINT of buying our produce/meats/etc from LOCAL
suppliers, these giant conglomerations will take over and if you think
the prices are high now..........

sigh, right now i can buy food from South America that is IN SEASON
here! how do they afford to transport the food that distance AND sell
it for less? or is this the Wal-Mart approach to 'better business'????

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> Okay I know this applies to everyone and not just diabetics. But has anyone
> else noticed extreme changes in prices in the past few months?

A) supply and demand

B) most grocery items are on a three week price cycle
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/14/2011 5:50 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
snipped

and i bought 5 acres of rain forest along the Amazon River
some............ oh.......... i won't tell you when

i sure hope that my ownership is respected and the trees are still
there, untouched!

ya never know

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Okay I know this applies to everyone and not just diabetics. But has
>>> anyone else noticed extreme changes in prices in the past few months?
>>> One example. At Winco, I bought some Ragu Cheddar Cheese Sauce for
>>> $1.48. Angela liked it so I bought another jar. Same price. I won't
>>> buy it again because I got sick both times after eating it. Not sure
>>> why.
>>>
>>> Anyway... I had noticed that the price of that had gone up a bit maybe
>>> 2 or 3 weeks ago. We bought two jars of Ragu Alfredo Sauce at that time
>>> and they were the same as the cheese sauce.
>>>
>>> And now today? $2.68 for the same stuff!
>>>
>>> I don't know if it's just the dairy or what. I bought some other canned
>>> cheese sauce for nachos and I could have sworn when I first bought it,
>>> it was just over a dollar a can. But now the price is waaaay higher. I
>>> didn't buy any today or even go down that aisle so I don't know what
>>> today's price was.
>>>
>>> I also noticed at Albertsons, their Shopper's Value chips (all kinds)
>>> went from $1.50 a bag up to $1.78.
>>>
>>> Most of the time I don't really pay much mind to prices. I just buy
>>> what I want. But we are having to tighten our belts since my husband
>>> bought that new car. I have to make up for the payment somewhere. And
>>> that means cutting back on food because pretty much all of our other
>>> expenses are fixed. We don't take vacations, we don't do a lot of fun
>>> stuff that would cost money. So I can't cut back there.
>>>
>>> I did notice the first few times we went to Winco the prices were so
>>> cheap I told Angela she could put whatever she wanted in the shopping
>>> cart. And the last couple of times we went, I spent about twice what I
>>> thought the total would be! Guess I really need to pay attention to the
>>> prices from now on.
>>>
>>> The good thing is, QFC sent me a ton of coupons for their store and
>>> several of them are for free things. So the next time we need
>>> groceries, we will go there and just make do with what we can get.

>> Yes, they've really jumped in CA. Ridiculous really. I'm really glad that
>> I don't have children at home anymore, and wonder how some families are
>> making it.

> I was watching what people bought today. I didn't see anyone buying junk
> food and not a lot of meat. Mainly things like produce and giant bags of
> tortillas.
>
> I got a paper in the mail today for free and reduced price lunches. The
> paltry amount you would have to make to qualify for those is certainly not
> enough to live off of here. But based on my SSDI alone (for me and for
> Angela) we would qualify. Thankfully we have my husband's income.

My Grandson is a Jr in High School and he was just telling me that his lunch
is $6.00 a day... I had three teens at home at the same time in HS...we
wouldn't have been able to afford it...they would have to have had PPJ every
day...LOL. Luckily my Son and his wife make good money...they are his
guardians until he graduates from school. His Mom lives here. My husband and
I were just talking about how the cost of things have risen. We bought a
filter for our fridge the other day, it was $50.00...a couple years ago we
paid $25.00 for the same filter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, they've really jumped in CA. Ridiculous really. I'm really glad
>>> that I don't have children at home anymore, and wonder how some families
>>> are making it.

>> I was watching what people bought today. I didn't see anyone buying junk
>> food and not a lot of meat. Mainly things like produce and giant bags of
>> tortillas.
>>
>> I got a paper in the mail today for free and reduced price lunches. The
>> paltry amount you would have to make to qualify for those is certainly
>> not enough to live off of here. But based on my SSDI alone (for me and
>> for Angela) we would qualify. Thankfully we have my husband's income.
>>

> My Grandson is a Jr in High School and he was just telling me that his
> lunch is $6.00 a day... I had three teens at home at the same time in
> HS...we wouldn't have been able to afford it...they would have to have had
> PPJ every day...LOL. Luckily my Son and his wife make good money...they
> are his guardians until he graduates from school. His Mom lives here. My
> husband and I were just talking about how the cost of things have risen.
> We bought a filter for our fridge the other day, it was $50.00...a couple
> years ago we paid $25.00 for the same filter.

Wow! That's a lot. I have no clue how much the lunches are at Angela's
school. They never have anything she can eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, they've really jumped in CA. Ridiculous really. I'm really glad
>>> that I don't have children at home anymore, and wonder how some
>>> families are making it.

>> I was watching what people bought today. I didn't see anyone buying
>> junk food and not a lot of meat. Mainly things like produce and
>> giant bags of tortillas.
>>
>> I got a paper in the mail today for free and reduced price lunches.
>> The paltry amount you would have to make to qualify for those is
>> certainly not enough to live off of here. But based on my SSDI alone
>> (for me and for Angela) we would qualify. Thankfully we have my
>> husband's income.
>>

> My Grandson is a Jr in High School and he was just telling me that his
> lunch is $6.00 a day... I had three teens at home at the same time in
> HS...we wouldn't have been able to afford it...they would have to have
> had PPJ every day...LOL. Luckily my Son and his wife make good
> money...they are his guardians until he graduates from school. His Mom
> lives here. My husband and I were just talking about how the cost of
> things have risen. We bought a filter for our fridge the other day, it
> was $50.00...a couple years ago we paid $25.00 for the same filter.

For one kid, $6 a day isn't really a lot, compared to what it could be -
say in sandwich shops etc. The most kids I have had at school at once is
4 and they had to take packed lunches always. If that $6 includes snack
and drinks and say bread and reasonable filling then it is probably not
far off being close to buying all the individual stuff at home just for
one. Presuming fairly good quality, nutritious food is given. Say meats,
eggs, cheeses etc and salad plus fruit and the whatevers.

How long does a fridge filter last? $50 seems extraordinarily over
priced.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message

>>> I was watching what people bought today. I didn't see anyone buying
>>> junk food and not a lot of meat. Mainly things like produce and
>>> giant bags of tortillas.
>>>
>>> I got a paper in the mail today for free and reduced price lunches.
>>> The paltry amount you would have to make to qualify for those is
>>> certainly not enough to live off of here. But based on my SSDI
>>> alone (for me and for Angela) we would qualify. Thankfully we have
>>> my husband's income.
>>>

>> My Grandson is a Jr in High School and he was just telling me that
>> his lunch is $6.00 a day... I had three teens at home at the same
>> time in HS...we wouldn't have been able to afford it...they would
>> have to have had PPJ every day...LOL. Luckily my Son and his wife
>> make good money...they are his guardians until he graduates from
>> school. His Mom lives here. My husband and I were just talking about
>> how the cost of things have risen. We bought a filter for our fridge
>> the other day, it was $50.00...a couple years ago we paid $25.00 for
>> the same filter.

> Wow! That's a lot. I have no clue how much the lunches are at
> Angela's school. They never have anything she can eat.

My son every so often takes money and gets a wrap. Sweet chilli chicken
with lettuce. He says it is quite good. He buys bottled water. For that
he would need at least $5 and that's just lunch. Jasmine's school is
too small for a canteen so they have to take everything they need for
the day. My son usually takes a roll or sandwich with meat, lettuce and
mayo plus water and a juice pack.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> My Grandson is a Jr in High School and he was just telling me that his
>>> lunch is $6.00 a day... I had three teens at home at the same time in
>>> HS...we wouldn't have been able to afford it...they would have to have
>>> had PPJ every day...LOL. Luckily my Son and his wife make good
>>> money...they are his guardians until he graduates from school. His Mom
>>> lives here. My husband and I were just talking about how the cost of
>>> things have risen. We bought a filter for our fridge the other day, it
>>> was $50.00...a couple years ago we paid $25.00 for the same filter.

>> Wow! That's a lot. I have no clue how much the lunches are at Angela's
>> school. They never have anything she can eat.

> My son every so often takes money and gets a wrap. Sweet chilli chicken
> with lettuce. He says it is quite good. He buys bottled water. For that he
> would need at least $5 and that's just lunch. Jasmine's school is too
> small for a canteen so they have to take everything they need for the day.
> My son usually takes a roll or sandwich with meat, lettuce and mayo plus
> water and a juice pack.

I don't even think Angela's school offers bottled water. Included with the
lunch is milk and I think they can get soy milk as an option. But they can
no longer sell juice. They do have a machine that sells sports drinks but
she said it is always empty.

Aside from the lunches I think she said they can buy a piece of fruit or
chips. She did do that one day when she forgot her lunch.

If I really pushed it they would have to provide a suitable meal for her.
But I fear it would be just like when I sent her to camp and it was rice
pasta day after day.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> Wow! That's a lot. I have no clue how much the lunches are at
>>> Angela's school. They never have anything she can eat.

>> My son every so often takes money and gets a wrap. Sweet chilli
>> chicken with lettuce. He says it is quite good. He buys bottled
>> water. For that he would need at least $5 and that's just lunch.
>> Jasmine's school is too small for a canteen so they have to take
>> everything they need for the day. My son usually takes a roll or
>> sandwich with meat, lettuce and mayo plus water and a juice pack.

> I don't even think Angela's school offers bottled water. Included
> with the lunch is milk and I think they can get soy milk as an option.
> But they can no longer sell juice. They do have a machine that sells
> sports drinks but she said it is always empty.
>
> Aside from the lunches I think she said they can buy a piece of fruit
> or chips. She did do that one day when she forgot her lunch.
>
> If I really pushed it they would have to provide a suitable meal for
> her. But I fear it would be just like when I sent her to camp and it
> was rice pasta day after day.

Food in schools here is from a canteen. You buy freshly made sandwiches
and rolls etc. Parents or others volunteer. They have other things like
salad plates, drinks, fruit, yoghurts and certain types of hot foods but
not actual sit down hot meals. Like going to a sandwich shop but manned
by volunteers.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> My son every so often takes money and gets a wrap. Sweet chilli chicken
>>> with lettuce. He says it is quite good. He buys bottled water. For that
>>> he would need at least $5 and that's just lunch. Jasmine's school is too
>>> small for a canteen so they have to take everything they need for the
>>> day. My son usually takes a roll or sandwich with meat, lettuce and mayo
>>> plus water and a juice pack.

>> I don't even think Angela's school offers bottled water. Included with
>> the lunch is milk and I think they can get soy milk as an option. But
>> they can no longer sell juice. They do have a machine that sells sports
>> drinks but she said it is always empty.
>>
>> Aside from the lunches I think she said they can buy a piece of fruit or
>> chips. She did do that one day when she forgot her lunch.
>>
>> If I really pushed it they would have to provide a suitable meal for her.
>> But I fear it would be just like when I sent her to camp and it was rice
>> pasta day after day.

> Food in schools here is from a canteen. You buy freshly made sandwiches
> and rolls etc. Parents or others volunteer. They have other things like
> salad plates, drinks, fruit, yoghurts and certain types of hot foods but
> not actual sit down hot meals. Like going to a sandwich shop but manned by
> volunteers.

Here they are hot meals but they don't sound good. I don't know if the Jr.
High has a salad bar or not. There was one at her elementary school.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/15/2011 10:40 PM, Jacquie wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Yes, they've really jumped in CA. Ridiculous really. I'm really glad
>>> that I don't have children at home anymore, and wonder how some
>>> families are making it.

>> I was watching what people bought today. I didn't see anyone buying
>> junk food and not a lot of meat. Mainly things like produce and giant
>> bags of tortillas.
>>
>> I got a paper in the mail today for free and reduced price lunches.
>> The paltry amount you would have to make to qualify for those is
>> certainly not enough to live off of here. But based on my SSDI alone
>> (for me and for Angela) we would qualify. Thankfully we have my
>> husband's income.
>>

> My Grandson is a Jr in High School and he was just telling me that his
> lunch is $6.00 a day... I had three teens at home at the same time in
> HS...we wouldn't have been able to afford it...they would have to have
> had PPJ every day...LOL. Luckily my Son and his wife make good
> money...they are his guardians until he graduates from school. His Mom
> lives here. My husband and I were just talking about how the cost of
> things have risen. We bought a filter for our fridge the other day, it
> was $50.00...a couple years ago we paid $25.00 for the same filter.

Jacqui, i sure hear you!!!

teenlet gets $30/week for his lunches and next year we need to come up
with another $75/mo for a bus pass to get him to school (they tore his
HS down to build an LRT station/parking lot)

hubby retires the minute he's finished high school!

we don't have it, and we don't know where we will get the money tree, we
will live within our means and have been making 'choices' for the last 3
years (we dumped sat TV back a ways... 5 yrs? and look carefully at 'do
we use that anymore???)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/15/2011 11:11 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message

>>> I was watching what people bought today. I didn't see anyone buying
>>> junk food and not a lot of meat. Mainly things like produce and giant
>>> bags of tortillas.
>>>
>>> I got a paper in the mail today for free and reduced price lunches.
>>> The paltry amount you would have to make to qualify for those is
>>> certainly not enough to live off of here. But based on my SSDI alone
>>> (for me and for Angela) we would qualify. Thankfully we have my
>>> husband's income.
>>>

>> My Grandson is a Jr in High School and he was just telling me that his
>> lunch is $6.00 a day... I had three teens at home at the same time in
>> HS...we wouldn't have been able to afford it...they would have to have
>> had PPJ every day...LOL. Luckily my Son and his wife make good
>> money...they are his guardians until he graduates from school. His Mom
>> lives here. My husband and I were just talking about how the cost of
>> things have risen. We bought a filter for our fridge the other day, it
>> was $50.00...a couple years ago we paid $25.00 for the same filter.

> For one kid, $6 a day isn't really a lot, compared to what it could be -
> say in sandwich shops etc. The most kids I have had at school at once is
> 4 and they had to take packed lunches always. If that $6 includes snack
> and drinks and say bread and reasonable filling then it is probably not
> far off being close to buying all the individual stuff at home just for
> one. Presuming fairly good quality, nutritious food is given. Say meats,
> eggs, cheeses etc and salad plus fruit and the whatevers.
>
> How long does a fridge filter last? $50 seems extraordinarily over priced.

Jan

teenlet gets that budget just for lunch

subway costs $10 for lunch

the pizza joint costs $4 for lunch if a group go together on a large *izza

there is a Viet Sub shop that sells 6inch subs for $5 nearby, doesn't
include beverage

Wendy's, McD's and other crud, i mean hamburger and fries joints are
nearby.......... the $6 allowance doesn't mean teenlet gets fries very often

his new school????
not a single thing in sight and he has to bus from one school to another
mid-day meaning he has to bring his own lunches (he doesn't think so,
i'll let him go hungry until peer pressure or hunger takes him over,
silly kid)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/15/2011 11:11 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> My Grandson is a Jr in High School and he was just telling me that
>>> his
>>> lunch is $6.00 a day... I had three teens at home at the same time
>>> in
>>> HS...we wouldn't have been able to afford it...they would have to
>>> have
>>> had PPJ every day...LOL. Luckily my Son and his wife make good
>>> money...they are his guardians until he graduates from school. His
>>> Mom
>>> lives here. My husband and I were just talking about how the cost of
>>> things have risen. We bought a filter for our fridge the other day,
>>> it
>>> was $50.00...a couple years ago we paid $25.00 for the same filter.

>> For one kid, $6 a day isn't really a lot, compared to what it could
>> be -
>> say in sandwich shops etc. The most kids I have had at school at once
>> is
>> 4 and they had to take packed lunches always. If that $6 includes
>> snack
>> and drinks and say bread and reasonable filling then it is probably
>> not
>> far off being close to buying all the individual stuff at home just
>> for
>> one. Presuming fairly good quality, nutritious food is given. Say
>> meats,
>> eggs, cheeses etc and salad plus fruit and the whatevers.
>>
>> How long does a fridge filter last? $50 seems extraordinarily over
>> priced.
>>

> Jan
>
> teenlet gets that budget just for lunch
>
> subway costs $10 for lunch
>
> the pizza joint costs $4 for lunch if a group go together on a large
> *izza
>
> there is a Viet Sub shop that sells 6inch subs for $5 nearby, doesn't
> include beverage
>
> Wendy's, McD's and other crud, i mean hamburger and fries joints are
> nearby.......... the $6 allowance doesn't mean teenlet gets fries very
> often
>
> his new school????
> not a single thing in sight and he has to bus from one school to
> another mid-day meaning he has to bring his own lunches (he doesn't
> think so, i'll let him go hungry until peer pressure or hunger takes
> him over, silly kid)

I am so glad for our canteen style eateries at school. If and when we
need them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/16/2011 11:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> For one kid, $6 a day isn't really a lot, compared to what it could be -
>>> say in sandwich shops etc. The most kids I have had at school at once is
>>> 4 and they had to take packed lunches always. If that $6 includes snack
>>> and drinks and say bread and reasonable filling then it is probably not
>>> far off being close to buying all the individual stuff at home just for
>>> one. Presuming fairly good quality, nutritious food is given. Say meats,
>>> eggs, cheeses etc and salad plus fruit and the whatevers.
>>>
>>> How long does a fridge filter last? $50 seems extraordinarily over
>>> priced.
>>>

>> Jan
>>
>> teenlet gets that budget just for lunch
>>
>> subway costs $10 for lunch
>>
>> the pizza joint costs $4 for lunch if a group go together on a large
>> *izza
>>
>> there is a Viet Sub shop that sells 6inch subs for $5 nearby, doesn't
>> include beverage
>>
>> Wendy's, McD's and other crud, i mean hamburger and fries joints are
>> nearby.......... the $6 allowance doesn't mean teenlet gets fries very
>> often
>>
>> his new school????
>> not a single thing in sight and he has to bus from one school to
>> another mid-day meaning he has to bring his own lunches (he doesn't
>> think so, i'll let him go hungry until peer pressure or hunger takes
>> him over, silly kid)

> I am so glad for our canteen style eateries at school. If and when we
> need them.

teenlet had that in Jr high (life saver as at the time he wouldn't eat
anything we made or bought for him)

old HS, well established area, fast food joints poliferated as the
school existed there

new HS??? being finished, teachers and staff spending summer vacation
moving over there (unpaid time, you can set up what you want/need, nice
employer eh?) and all in a relatively new area of town

then, as soon as am classes are over, he needs to traverse back across
town to the vocational school (he was in mechanics, but after 2 years of
mechanics, they no longer provide that grade 12 option............. a
grade 12 course he NEEDED for grad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! growl........... so
now he has to take 2 years of vocational welding to get his
graduation.............. the school doesn't give a hoot if this is what
he wants to do, they only care that they now offer a,b,c and nor more
x,y,z for him to use for grade 12.................... why were we NOT
TOLD THIS WHEN HE CHOSE HIS GRADE 10 OPTIONS?????????? (deep breath
kate)........... so teenlet has not particular direction, they blew it
on assisting him with Language Arts which he could have been very good
in............. he needs that grade 12 metric level for university and
won't have it (path of least resistance for the teachers, heaven forbid
they have to TEACH a student who doesn't intuitively 'get it')

i'm in tears............ teenlet has no idea what he wants to
do.......... fortunately he has a few $ towards his education under a
savings plan the fed gov't came up with

i just want him to be happy

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/17/2011 12:16 AM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 8/16/2011 11:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Jan
>>>
>>> teenlet gets that budget just for lunch
>>>
>>> subway costs $10 for lunch
>>>
>>> the pizza joint costs $4 for lunch if a group go together on a large
>>> *izza
>>>
>>> there is a Viet Sub shop that sells 6inch subs for $5 nearby, doesn't
>>> include beverage
>>>
>>> Wendy's, McD's and other crud, i mean hamburger and fries joints are
>>> nearby.......... the $6 allowance doesn't mean teenlet gets fries very
>>> often
>>>
>>> his new school????
>>> not a single thing in sight and he has to bus from one school to
>>> another mid-day meaning he has to bring his own lunches (he doesn't
>>> think so, i'll let him go hungry until peer pressure or hunger takes
>>> him over, silly kid)

>> I am so glad for our canteen style eateries at school. If and when we
>> need them.

> teenlet had that in Jr high (life saver as at the time he wouldn't eat
> anything we made or bought for him)
>
> old HS, well established area, fast food joints poliferated as the
> school existed there
>
> new HS??? being finished, teachers and staff spending summer vacation
> moving over there (unpaid time, you can set up what you want/need, nice
> employer eh?) and all in a relatively new area of town
>
> then, as soon as am classes are over, he needs to traverse back across
> town to the vocational school (he was in mechanics, but after 2 years of
> mechanics, they no longer provide that grade 12 option............. a
> grade 12 course he NEEDED for grad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! growl........... so
> now he has to take 2 years of vocational welding to get his
> graduation.............. the school doesn't give a hoot if this is what
> he wants to do, they only care that they now offer a,b,c and nor more
> x,y,z for him to use for grade 12.................... why were we NOT
> TOLD THIS WHEN HE CHOSE HIS GRADE 10 OPTIONS?????????? (deep breath
> kate)........... so teenlet has not particular direction, they blew it
> on assisting him with Language Arts which he could have been very good
> in............. he needs that grade 12 metric level for university and
> won't have it (path of least resistance for the teachers, heaven forbid
> they have to TEACH a student who doesn't intuitively 'get it')
>
> i'm in tears............ teenlet has no idea what he wants to
> do.......... fortunately he has a few $ towards his education under a
> savings plan the fed gov't came up with
>

> i just want him to be happy
>
> kate

let me clarify............ the gov't "allowed" me to put away savings at
3% and not have to pay taxes on the savings until teenlet withdrawls it
and then it becomes 'income' for him

we also benefited by a "Maximum $200/yr GRANT from the government that
capped out at that contribution level'

if he can't use it, i can roll a portion of it over to my RRSP that
subsequently becomes taxable TOTALLY when *I* withdraw from
it.............. i don't earn enough to make it non-taxable when i put
it in........ bottom line............. teenlet MUST enroll in some post
secondary education, we will pull it all immediately, put some in an
account for him........ it may get him a downpayment on a small condo???

sigh
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message

>>> I was watching what people bought today. I didn't see anyone buying
>>> junk food and not a lot of meat. Mainly things like produce and giant
>>> bags of tortillas.
>>>
>>> I got a paper in the mail today for free and reduced price lunches. The
>>> paltry amount you would have to make to qualify for those is certainly
>>> not enough to live off of here. But based on my SSDI alone (for me and
>>> for Angela) we would qualify. Thankfully we have my husband's income.
>>>

>> My Grandson is a Jr in High School and he was just telling me that his
>> lunch is $6.00 a day... I had three teens at home at the same time in
>> HS...we wouldn't have been able to afford it...they would have to have
>> had PPJ every day...LOL. Luckily my Son and his wife make good
>> money...they are his guardians until he graduates from school. His Mom
>> lives here. My husband and I were just talking about how the cost of
>> things have risen. We bought a filter for our fridge the other day, it
>> was $50.00...a couple years ago we paid $25.00 for the same filter.

> For one kid, $6 a day isn't really a lot, compared to what it could be -
> say in sandwich shops etc. The most kids I have had at school at once is 4
> and they had to take packed lunches always. If that $6 includes snack and
> drinks and say bread and reasonable filling then it is probably not far
> off being close to buying all the individual stuff at home just for one.
> Presuming fairly good quality, nutritious food is given. Say meats, eggs,
> cheeses etc and salad plus fruit and the whatevers.
>
> How long does a fridge filter last? $50 seems extraordinarily over priced.

I know Schools used to get so much money to supplement lunches so they
wouldn't be expensive, don't know about today. My kids only had to spend
like 75 cents when they were in Elementary school, because we were in the
military and we didn't make allot of money so were on the low income
lunches, that changed when their Dad made rank and I started working again.
I think the filter has to be changed every six months. The lunches at my
Grandsons school are mostly brought in by vendors. They do have choices of
Pizza, Hamburgers, veggie salads ,or meat salads...fries...and they offer
fresh fruits too, oh and different varieties of sandwiches. . They figure
High School kids should be able to make their own choices. Sometimes my
Grandson will just have fruit or maybe a slice of Pizza. His ADHD medication
drops his appetite sometimes...although he is on new meds this year that
don't seem to affect his appetite as much as his old meds did.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/16/2011 11:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Jan
>>>
>>> teenlet gets that budget just for lunch
>>>
>>> subway costs $10 for lunch
>>>
>>> the pizza joint costs $4 for lunch if a group go together on a large
>>> *izza
>>>
>>> there is a Viet Sub shop that sells 6inch subs for $5 nearby, doesn't
>>> include beverage
>>>
>>> Wendy's, McD's and other crud, i mean hamburger and fries joints are
>>> nearby.......... the $6 allowance doesn't mean teenlet gets fries very
>>> often
>>>
>>> his new school????
>>> not a single thing in sight and he has to bus from one school to
>>> another mid-day meaning he has to bring his own lunches (he doesn't
>>> think so, i'll let him go hungry until peer pressure or hunger takes
>>> him over, silly kid)

>> I am so glad for our canteen style eateries at school. If and when we
>> need them.

> teenlet had that in Jr high (life saver as at the time he wouldn't eat
> anything we made or bought for him)
>
> old HS, well established area, fast food joints poliferated as the school
> existed there
>
> new HS??? being finished, teachers and staff spending summer vacation
> moving over there (unpaid time, you can set up what you want/need, nice
> employer eh?) and all in a relatively new area of town
>
> then, as soon as am classes are over, he needs to traverse back across
> town to the vocational school (he was in mechanics, but after 2 years of
> mechanics, they no longer provide that grade 12 option............. a
> grade 12 course he NEEDED for grad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! growl........... so now
> he has to take 2 years of vocational welding to get his
> graduation.............. the school doesn't give a hoot if this is what he
> wants to do, they only care that they now offer a,b,c and nor more x,y,z
> for him to use for grade 12.................... why were we NOT TOLD THIS
> WHEN HE CHOSE HIS GRADE 10 OPTIONS?????????? (deep breath
> kate)........... so teenlet has not particular direction, they blew it on
> assisting him with Language Arts which he could have been very good
> in............. he needs that grade 12 metric level for university and
> won't have it (path of least resistance for the teachers, heaven forbid
> they have to TEACH a student who doesn't intuitively 'get it')
>
> i'm in tears............ teenlet has no idea what he wants to do..........
> fortunately he has a few $ towards his education under a savings plan the
> fed gov't came up with
>

> i just want him to be happy
>
> kate

I guarantee you that the majority of kids his age don't really have a clue
of what they want to do. Most college kids don't even pick their major until
they are Sophomores or Jrs. My Grandson is a Jr in High School and has just
started to talk about what he might want to do in the future. He pulled his
shoulder in PE one day and had to go to PT for 6 weeks...he really liked
what the PT's did and all of a sudden wants to be a PT. My DIL's brother is
in College and always thought he would be a business major...now has changed
his mind, he wants to be a paramedic. My Husband teaches in the Vocational
Tech part of the Community College they always have a lot of students. I
think your son will be fine..after all he has you for a Mom

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/3/2011 3:22 PM, Jacquie wrote:
snip
> I guarantee you that the majority of kids his age don't really have a
> clue of what they want to do. Most college kids don't even pick their
> major until they are Sophomores or Jrs. My Grandson is a Jr in High
> School and has just started to talk about what he might want to do in
> the future. He pulled his shoulder in PE one day and had to go to PT for
> 6 weeks...he really liked what the PT's did and all of a sudden wants to
> be a PT. My DIL's brother is in College and always thought he would be a
> business major...now has changed his mind, he wants to be a paramedic.
> My Husband teaches in the Vocational Tech part of the Community College
> they always have a lot of students. I think your son will be fine..after
> all he has you for a Mom

thanks Jacquie
I just want him to be happy. The HS courses were supposed to equal the
first year of a trade program and teenlet was interested in HD equipment
engines. Mind you, this is the kid who learned HTML so he could write a
web site that his friends wanted...... when he was in grade 4 LOL.

He'll be fine at anything he likes/wants to do.

The school is sorting out the transportation problem between the 2
schools. Here's hoping!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> My Grandson is a Jr in High School and he was just telling me that his
>>> lunch is $6.00 a day... I had three teens at home at the same time in
>>> HS...we wouldn't have been able to afford it...they would have to have
>>> had PPJ every day...LOL. Luckily my Son and his wife make good
>>> money...they are his guardians until he graduates from school. His Mom
>>> lives here. My husband and I were just talking about how the cost of
>>> things have risen. We bought a filter for our fridge the other day, it
>>> was $50.00...a couple years ago we paid $25.00 for the same filter.

>> For one kid, $6 a day isn't really a lot, compared to what it could be -
>> say in sandwich shops etc. The most kids I have had at school at once is
>> 4 and they had to take packed lunches always. If that $6 includes snack
>> and drinks and say bread and reasonable filling then it is probably not
>> far off being close to buying all the individual stuff at home just for
>> one. Presuming fairly good quality, nutritious food is given. Say meats,
>> eggs, cheeses etc and salad plus fruit and the whatevers.
>>
>> How long does a fridge filter last? $50 seems extraordinarily over
>> priced.
>>

> I know Schools used to get so much money to supplement lunches so they
> wouldn't be expensive, don't know about today. My kids only had to spend
> like 75 cents when they were in Elementary school, because we were in the
> military and we didn't make allot of money so were on the low income
> lunches, that changed when their Dad made rank and I started working
> again.
> I think the filter has to be changed every six months. The lunches at my
> Grandsons school are mostly brought in by vendors. They do have choices of
> Pizza, Hamburgers, veggie salads ,or meat salads...fries...and they offer
> fresh fruits too, oh and different varieties of sandwiches. . They figure
> High School kids should be able to make their own choices. Sometimes my
> Grandson will just have fruit or maybe a slice of Pizza. His ADHD
> medication drops his appetite sometimes...although he is on new meds this
> year that don't seem to affect his appetite as much as his old meds did.

Lunches are $3.00 at Angela's school. She said she will never buy one
though because the line goes out the door. Not that she could actually eat
one. Because she can't. They do have things you can buy per piece like
fruit and chips. She did have to do this once when she forgot her lunch.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...

>>> For one kid, $6 a day isn't really a lot, compared to what it could be -
>>> say in sandwich shops etc. The most kids I have had at school at once is
>>> 4 and they had to take packed lunches always. If that $6 includes snack
>>> and drinks and say bread and reasonable filling then it is probably not
>>> far off being close to buying all the individual stuff at home just for
>>> one. Presuming fairly good quality, nutritious food is given. Say meats,
>>> eggs, cheeses etc and salad plus fruit and the whatevers.
>>>
>>> How long does a fridge filter last? $50 seems extraordinarily over
>>> priced.
>>>

>> I know Schools used to get so much money to supplement lunches so they
>> wouldn't be expensive, don't know about today. My kids only had to spend
>> like 75 cents when they were in Elementary school, because we were in the
>> military and we didn't make allot of money so were on the low income
>> lunches, that changed when their Dad made rank and I started working
>> again.
>> I think the filter has to be changed every six months. The lunches at my
>> Grandsons school are mostly brought in by vendors. They do have choices
>> of Pizza, Hamburgers, veggie salads ,or meat salads...fries...and they
>> offer fresh fruits too, oh and different varieties of sandwiches. . They
>> figure High School kids should be able to make their own choices.
>> Sometimes my Grandson will just have fruit or maybe a slice of Pizza. His
>> ADHD medication drops his appetite sometimes...although he is on new meds
>> this year that don't seem to affect his appetite as much as his old meds
>> did.

> Lunches are $3.00 at Angela's school. She said she will never buy one
> though because the line goes out the door. Not that she could actually
> eat one. Because she can't. They do have things you can buy per piece
> like fruit and chips. She did have to do this once when she forgot her
> lunch.

My Grandsons High school has three different lunch times.....that way the
kids don't spend all of their time in line.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...

>>> I know Schools used to get so much money to supplement lunches so they
>>> wouldn't be expensive, don't know about today. My kids only had to spend
>>> like 75 cents when they were in Elementary school, because we were in
>>> the military and we didn't make allot of money so were on the low income
>>> lunches, that changed when their Dad made rank and I started working
>>> again.
>>> I think the filter has to be changed every six months. The lunches at my
>>> Grandsons school are mostly brought in by vendors. They do have choices
>>> of Pizza, Hamburgers, veggie salads ,or meat salads...fries...and they
>>> offer fresh fruits too, oh and different varieties of sandwiches. . They
>>> figure High School kids should be able to make their own choices.
>>> Sometimes my Grandson will just have fruit or maybe a slice of Pizza.
>>> His ADHD medication drops his appetite sometimes...although he is on new
>>> meds this year that don't seem to affect his appetite as much as his old
>>> meds did.

>> Lunches are $3.00 at Angela's school. She said she will never buy one
>> though because the line goes out the door. Not that she could actually
>> eat one. Because she can't. They do have things you can buy per piece
>> like fruit and chips. She did have to do this once when she forgot her
>> lunch.
>>

> My Grandsons High school has three different lunch times.....that way the
> kids don't spend all of their time in line.

Angela's does too. But there are over 1,000 kids there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> My Grandsons High school has three different lunch times.....that way
> the kids don't spend all of their time in line.

In K-6 schools here they still have the preordered lunch thing. Easy to
do because that age group is in one class with same teacher all day. In
high schools now they still have a preorder option where you order
sandwiches, wraps, salads and hot food etc paid for before school. That
group go into a separate line from people who buy at lunch time and have
to wait while their food is prepared. For people buying just snacks
and/or drinks there is another line.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>> My Grandsons High school has three different lunch times.....that way the
>> kids don't spend all of their time in line.

> In K-6 schools here they still have the preordered lunch thing. Easy to do
> because that age group is in one class with same teacher all day. In high
> schools now they still have a preorder option where you order sandwiches,
> wraps, salads and hot food etc paid for before school. That group go into
> a separate line from people who buy at lunch time and have to wait while
> their food is prepared. For people buying just snacks and/or drinks there
> is another line.

They used to preorder in elementary here because there was no proper
cafeteria. The food was brought in on a truck and served from Styrofoam
trays. There were only two choices but there was a salad bar. They now
have a cafeteria and I don't know how that works.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/10/2011 11:17 AM, chizcurlz wrote:
> Blame those people who are giving high prices to different goods just
> because of business and money - which is unfair.

no, don't say a word

Food prices up! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 247 09-01-2015 05:34 PM
Food prices going WAY up! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 59 03-10-2012 11:47 PM
Food prices Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 2 26-06-2011 05:43 PM
Food Prices merryb General Cooking 16 18-10-2008 03:51 AM
Food Prices Maxine in RI General Cooking 53 06-11-2003 10:11 PM