Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food Prices

Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
yet...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote in message
> Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
> anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
> yet...

Not around here (northern New York). I have found that things that go on
sale (good sale) have a jump in basic price (from the presale price) after
the sale. Some things on sale go very quickly (such as cauliflower last
week). I coupon and stock up when I can.

Gas price dropped 8 cents a gallon between Monday and Wednesday this week.
(I filled up on Monday of course.)

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JonquilJan wrote:

> Gas price dropped 8 cents a gallon between Monday and Wednesday this week.
> (I filled up on Monday of course.)

Gas has dropped $1.20 in the last 2.5 weeks here in Austin.
Gas today is $2.59/gallon.

But I really doubt the food prices will go down, at least by bnot more
than 20% of the price they went up in the last year.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> JonquilJan wrote:
>
> > Gas price dropped 8 cents a gallon between Monday and Wednesday this week.
> > (I filled up on Monday of course.)

> Gas has dropped $1.20 in the last 2.5 weeks here in Austin.
> Gas today is $2.59/gallon.
>
> But I really doubt the food prices will go down, at least by bnot more
> than 20% of the price they went up in the last year.
>
> -sw

Fortunately, most foods at HEB never really did go up...

except for Beef. :-(
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> JonquilJan wrote:
>
>> Gas price dropped 8 cents a gallon between Monday and Wednesday this
>> week.
>> (I filled up on Monday of course.)

> Gas has dropped $1.20 in the last 2.5 weeks here in Austin.
> Gas today is $2.59/gallon.
>
> But I really doubt the food prices will go down, at least by bnot more
> than 20% of the price they went up in the last year.
>
> -sw

2.59! Wow. I just filled up at 2.99. A lot of places around here (Boston
area) are still above 3 bucks.

As for food, I haven't noticed any remarkable changes. Still on the high
side. I stopped in the grocery the other day to pick up some lamb. I
wanted to make some soup - harira to be exact. I only needed about a
pound of shoulder steaks. It was 4.99 per pound. We can usually get it
for around 2.99 per pound. Even the weird bony pieces my husband likes
were 4.99. I bought it anyway since I didn't feel like going to another
store and a pound of meat makes a lot of soup.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in message
> JonquilJan wrote:
>
> > Gas price dropped 8 cents a gallon between Monday and Wednesday this

week.
> > (I filled up on Monday of course.)

> Gas has dropped $1.20 in the last 2.5 weeks here in Austin.
> Gas today is $2.59/gallon.
>
> But I really doubt the food prices will go down, at least by bnot more
> than 20% of the price they went up in the last year.
>
> -sw

And I thought I was getting a bargain at $3.29 a gallon on Monday!!

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:42:42 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
>anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
>yet...

Don't hold your breath... manufacturers don't hold back when it comes
to putting prices UP to cover increased costs, but they almost never
lower them again if the cost of production goes down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 4:19*pm, Kajikit > wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:42:42 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
> >anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
> >yet...

> Don't hold your breath... manufacturers don't hold back when it comes
> to putting prices UP to cover increased costs, but they almost never
> lower them again if the cost of production goes down. *

That seemed to be true with gas, but when it drops 5-10 cents a
day...I'd really like to see a decrease in my food bills...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
> anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
> yet...

In all likelihood no.

Once a price is established it is seldom reduced.

Additionally with the decrease in overall spending due to the economic
situation the retailers will need the additional profit in order to keep the
doors open and the profit at reasonable levels.

Remember when everyone saved too much energy and the utilities had to raise
prices?

Same scenario.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 11:09*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> > Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
> > anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
> > yet...

> In all likelihood no.
>
> Once a price is established it is seldom reduced.
>
> Additionally with the decrease in overall spending due to the economic
> situation the retailers will need the additional profit in order to keep the
> doors open and the profit at reasonable levels.
>
> Remember when everyone saved too much energy and the utilities had to raise
> prices?
>
> Same scenario.
>
> Dimitri

Discrimination!! I guess if gas prices are low, it helps free up a
little more for food...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:19:48 -0400, Kajikit wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:42:42 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
>>Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
>>anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
>>yet...

> Don't hold your breath... manufacturers don't hold back when it comes
> to putting prices UP to cover increased costs, but they almost never
> lower them again if the cost of production goes down.

i fear that you are right. sometimes the invisible hand is pretty ****ing
lazy.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Oct 17, 11:09 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> > Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
> > anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
> > yet...

> In all likelihood no.
>
> Once a price is established it is seldom reduced.
>
> Additionally with the decrease in overall spending due to the economic
> situation the retailers will need the additional profit in order to keep
> the
> doors open and the profit at reasonable levels.
>
> Remember when everyone saved too much energy and the utilities had to
> raise
> prices?
>
> Same scenario.
>
> Dimitri

Discrimination!! I guess if gas prices are low, it helps free up a
little more for food...

That is about the only benefit for the consumer.

And soon the retailers and agribusiness will find a way to dig into your
pocket in other ways.

:-(

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 11:39*am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On Oct 17, 11:09 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>

> > "merryb" > wrote in message

> > > Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
> > > anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
> > > yet...

> > In all likelihood no.

> > Once a price is established it is seldom reduced.

> > Additionally with the decrease in overall spending due to the economic
> > situation the retailers will need the additional profit in order to keep
> > the
> > doors open and the profit at reasonable levels.

> > Remember when everyone saved too much energy and the utilities had to
> > raise
> > prices?

> > Same scenario.

> > Dimitri

> Discrimination!! I guess if gas prices are low, it helps free up a
> little more for food...
>
> That is about the only benefit for the consumer.
>
> And soon the retailers and agribusiness will find a way to dig into your
> pocket in other ways.
>
> :-(
>
> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

Well of course- the holidays are approaching...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JonquilJan wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote in message
>> JonquilJan wrote:
>>
>>> Gas price dropped 8 cents a gallon between Monday and Wednesday this

> week.
>>> (I filled up on Monday of course.)

>> Gas has dropped $1.20 in the last 2.5 weeks here in Austin.
>> Gas today is $2.59/gallon.
>>
>> But I really doubt the food prices will go down, at least by bnot more
>> than 20% of the price they went up in the last year.
>>
>> -sw

> And I thought I was getting a bargain at $3.29 a gallon on Monday!!

And now it's down to $2.37/gallon today.

http://www.austingasprices.com/

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
> anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
> yet...

I've noticed that bread has come back down, also eggs aren't
as expensive as they were.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 2:15*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > Now that gas is going down, I'm wondering if food prices will follow-
> > anyone notice this happening in their area? I know we aren't seeing it
> > yet...

> I've noticed that bread has come back down, also eggs aren't
> as expensive as they were.
>
> nancy

Well, it's a start!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> In all likelihood no.
>
> Once a price is established it is seldom reduced.

Generally correct, but Wal Mart reduced the price of Breyer's Icecream from
3.50 to 3.37.

Same exact item in different stores, Breyers 1.5 quart
WalMart 3.37
Stop & Shop 4.99 (frequently on sale for 3.00)
Whole Foods 6.49