Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ping wendy-passover rules question

not sure if my reply about tols/stevia went through...

you asked about xylitol and stevia.

is corn not allowed for certain Jewish meals?

if so really check the labels as a lot of sugar subs are made with corn or
use corn fiber as a filler

not sure what the rules are but I know xylitol for certain is corn
based...and maybe erythritol as well..if it is then stevia is out as in the
stores its 98 percent erytritol and 1 percent stevia in products like
truvia..very misleading product.

anyhoo don’t want ya making the sky boss angry so thought I would alert you
about the tols being often corn based.

KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM > wrote:
: not sure if my reply about tols/stevia went through...

: you asked about xylitol and stevia.

: is corn not allowed for certain Jewish meals?

: if so really check the labels as a lot of sugar subs are made with corn or
: use corn fiber as a filler

: not sure what the rules are but I know xylitol for certain is corn
: based...and maybe erythritol as well..if it is then stevia is out as in the
: stores its 98 percent erytritol and 1 percent stevia in products like
: truvia..very misleading product.

: anyhoo don?t want ya making the sky boss angry so thought I would alert you
: about the tols being often corn based.

: KROM
Thanks for your concern. Corn is no used by most Jews who'se families
came from Eastern Europe, so all those dextrose from corn fillers are
out. Special formulaions of the sweetener have to be used and, until this
ear, for private customers, the ony one available was a specil run of
Sweet and Low with saccharine. As I find he taste nasty, I woul dnever
try baking a few things like macaroons for he holiday. This year I did
find a site that carries kosher vitamins(yup, you hearad me right) and
sweeteners tht this year have been make Kosher for Passover. They have
the xylitol, bu not eurythitol. Probaly they are packaging in small
packs(1-5 lbs) of this from what has been available for manufacturers.
Noone is packaging any sucrose for the pubic, but I tink I have seen some
in labels on boxes of prepared no sugar added cakes. It may well be that
finding somehing other than dextrose to be the filler is difficult. I
wonder if the drops that Susan uses and recommends(I must get some) might
be the way to go if a company wants to produce a diet sweetener for this
oliday. It may, however, just not be financially worthwhile to do the
special heavy cleaning of equipment, etc for this short time.

Well, it is only for 8 days and I can live without or use the
commercialsugar free cookies or sponge cake for my treats while watching
others eat their traditional treats.

You won't believe it, but, right now, I am tking a break form making my
family's traditional Passover imber recipe, a honey, broken up matzo ,
ground nuts and ginger treat. As my son with the kids is in AFrica this
year I am only making a single (2 lbs honey) amount, rather than my usual
double. I do taste it while making it. Afer all how else would I know if
there is enough ginger in for teh right kick, as the powdered ginger, on
which the recipe was originally created, can vary in strength form
container to container.

Holidays are such a matter of tradition, menory, family and special foods
that I can't see depriving my family of this, once a yeara candy and
remembering my mother and granmothers who made it before me. Ths big
change we made quite a few years ago was to switch from the sweet wines of
tradtion(the only ones then available) to light, bright dry reds. You can
have no idea of what good things this does for my bgs, after drinking the
better part of the required 4 cups. It permits a bit of holiday
indescretion:-)

Happpy holidays to all of you clelebrating your holiday this season. this
is the first year I have not made the Seder, or special service and meal,
so I have all this time to chat here, instea of cooking up a storm and a
half. It is a funny feelin.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Have a happy Pesach, Wendy. I guess it isn't nice to wish a diabetic a
Zeesen (sweet) Pesach. :-)

My aunt used to make ingberlach for me. I loved them. Thanks for bring
back the memory.

My daughter and two granddaughters are coming to Texas tomorrow to spend
the holiday with us. Can't wait.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I find a small amount of regular cane sugar and honey dont impact me as bad
as hfcs or beet sugar...dont know the science just know what my meter says.

So I wouldn't worry about sampling a small amount as you cook or even a
sliver with dinner.

I love to cook myself so it is strange feeling to not bake a billion
desserts or special holiday foods.

for a while I made a ton for the office but last two years I've just made
what I eat personally and not made any desserts other then a low carb
pumpkin pie

you could next year maybe find a group sending traditional foods to Jewish
soldiers over seas if you have the baking in large quantities fever.

:-)

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote

Ping Wendy Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 6 13-10-2013 07:04 AM
Ping Wendy Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 42 23-06-2011 10:10 AM
Ping: Wendy and Janet Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 02-06-2008 07:08 AM
Ping: Wendy and Janet Priscilla Ballou Diabetic 0 01-06-2008 04:03 AM
Ping: Wendy Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 14 30-05-2008 03:53 AM