Old 12-02-2011, 06:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Dinner tonight

"Julie Bove" wrote in message speaking of eggplant.

I never salt it. MIL didn't either when she cooked. She is the one who
told me you don't need to do that any more. The bitterness has been bred
out of it and that is why they used the salt. Now perhaps if you have an
heirloom variety you would need to do it.

I always thought the salt was to draw the excess water out so your dish
didn't turn out watery.

Cheri

Old 13-02-2011, 06:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message speaking of
eggplant.

I never salt it. MIL didn't either when she cooked. She is the one who
told me you don't need to do that any more. The bitterness has been bred
out of it and that is why they used the salt. Now perhaps if you have an
heirloom variety you would need to do it.

I always thought the salt was to draw the excess water out so your dish
didn't turn out watery.

I don't think so. I've only heard about the bitterness.

Old 13-02-2011, 02:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
"Cheri" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message speaking of
eggplant.

I never salt it. MIL didn't either when she cooked. She is the
one who told me you don't need to do that any more. The bitterness
has been bred out of it and that is why they used the salt. Now
perhaps if you have an heirloom variety you would need to do it.

I always thought the salt was to draw the excess water out so your
dish didn't turn out watery.

I don't think so. I've only heard about the bitterness.

It is not uncommon to salt vegetables to draw out liquid and avoid
wateriness. Zucchini, for example. I salt eggplant--only for certain ways of
cooking it--to draw out the water.

Bitterness has nothing to do with it. (I've never found eggplant
unpleasantly bitter.)

Old 14-02-2011, 12:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BlueBrooke" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 09:54:30 -0500, "Janet"
wrote:

It is not uncommon to salt vegetables to draw out liquid and avoid
wateriness. Zucchini, for example. I salt eggplant--only for certain ways
of
cooking it--to draw out the water.

Yup -- that's how I solved my watery coleslaw problem. Salt the
cabbage, let it drain for awhile in a colander and rinse thoroughly.
Nice and crunchy, and no pool of liquid in the bottom of the bowl when
I'm mousing around in the fidge for leftovers. Grandmas know
everything. :-D

Hey, I never thought to do that with coleslaw. I hate that pool, so will do
it next time. Thanks.

Cheri

Old 14-02-2011, 12:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

It is not uncommon to salt vegetables to draw out liquid and avoid
wateriness. Zucchini, for example. I salt eggplant--only for certain
ways of
cooking it--to draw out the water.

Yup -- that's how I solved my watery coleslaw problem. Salt the
cabbage, let it drain for awhile in a colander and rinse thoroughly.
Nice and crunchy, and no pool of liquid in the bottom of the bowl
when
I'm mousing around in the fidge for leftovers. Grandmas know
everything. :-D

Hey, I never thought to do that with coleslaw. I hate that pool, so
will do it next time. Thanks.

I don't get it because I buy the packaged dry coleslaw, lol. I buy it
for snacks and a quick extra on a salad plate if I am low on other
greens. I don't think there is a fabulous amount of nutrition in dry
slaw so its just a filler for me really. I like to have a bowl of it
with Ranch for an afternoon snack.