Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Dinner tonight

W. Baker wrote:

<snip>

> Recipe for that sauce please:-)
>
> Wendy

It is pork.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:

: <snip>

: > Recipe for that sauce please:-)
: >
: > Wendy

: It is pork.

Do you think it woudl work with either veal or turkey?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
This looks lovely adn not difficult. I generally don't peel my egplant,
so how would it be unpeeled??

Lazy Wendy-

: Basically it is this (You can multiply it to use more meat. Because I had
: slightly over a pound of pork, I tripled the recipe. I think that doubling
: the meat sauce would have been enough for the amount of eggplant I had.):

: 4-8 cloves garlic
: a walnut-sized knob of ginger, peeled
: 1 whole scallion, trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths
: 1 scant tsp Chinese salted black beans (She says NOT the kind with 5-spice)
: [Note: I didn't have these in the house since I rarely use them so I left
: them out.]

: Mince the garlic, ginger, and scallion in a food processor. Add the beans
: and pulse a few times.

: 2 Tbsp regular soy sauce
: 1 tsp sugar (Yes, I used sugar. I suppose you could use Splenda, and the
: next time I make it I might.)

: Combine soy and sugar and stir.

: 1 Tbsp or more Chinese chili sauce (Note: although I tripled the recipe I
: only doubled the chili, because unlike me H is not keen on extremely hot
: food. This dish is supposed to be very hot. It was nice and spicy, though.)
: 6 oz ground pork butt
: 1 Tbsp Asian sesame oil
: A little vegetable oil for cooking.

: I used one large whole Western eggplant, peeled except for an inch or so at
: the top and bottom and cut first into thin slices, and then into sticks. I
: tossed it with kosher salt in a colander and let it sit for about half an
: hour. I rinsed it, and squeezed it in some paper towel. Note that this is
: not how Tropp prepares the eggplant.

: Heat the wok over high heat. Add a tablespoon or so of oil, and whien hot
: enough to sizzle a tiny bit of ginger, add the eggplant and stir fry for
: about a minute until barely cooked. Scrape into dish and set aside.

: Add a little more oil to the wok, and when hot enough to sizzle a bit of
: ginger add the ginger/garlic mixture. Stir fry briefly--maybe 20
: seconds--add chili sauce and stir fry briefly again. Add meat and stir fry,
: making sure to break it up as you do. When the meat is just cooked, add the
: eggplant and stir fry to mix, then add the soy/sugar mixture and stir fry to
: mix. Taste a bit and see if it is seasoned appropriately for you. Adjust
: sugar/soy/chili if necessary. Lastly, add sesame oil and stir to mix.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet > wrote:
> This looks lovely adn not difficult. I generally don't peel my
> egplant, so how would it be unpeeled??
>
> Lazy Wendy-

I don't know, Wendy. I always peel it when I cut it into these thin strips,
although I don't when I cut it into slices.

Speaking of slices, there is an Indian eggplant dish in a Madhur Jaffrey
book that would be great for us who like spices and eggplant: it is
pan-fried slices of eggplant topped with a fried spice mix and plain yogurt.
I'll post it in a couple of days.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/10/2011 5:40 PM, Susan wrote:

> You got fermented black beans in a big bag?? Wow, never saw that any
> where. Most recipes call for so little of them, like a TBS or two, at
> most. That must be restaurant sized. :-)

I get them in the bag all the time. They keep forever as they are
preserved in the salt. I rinse them well before using.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 2/10/2011 5:40 PM, Susan wrote:
>
>> You got fermented black beans in a big bag?? Wow, never saw that any
>> where. Most recipes call for so little of them, like a TBS or two, at
>> most. That must be restaurant sized. :-)

> I get them in the bag all the time. They keep forever as they are
> preserved in the salt. I rinse them well before using.

I get them in a bag, too. At Asian markets. But I threw my last bag out
after having it in the fridge for at least 5 years! I just don't use them
that often.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:54:14 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Janet > wrote:
>: W. Baker wrote:
>
>: <snip>
>
>: > Recipe for that sauce please:-)
>: >
>: > Wendy
>
>: It is pork.
>
>Do you think it woudl work with either veal or turkey?
>
>Wendy

I think the ground turkey would work out very well. I no longer make
my meatballs out of anything else! Turkey picks up on spices very
well.

Evelyn