Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Fennel

What do you do with it? I had a piece of it a few years back when I was
getting those CSA boxes. There was a recipe for roasting it, which I did.
I remember putting olive oil on it. Maybe salt and pepper. I was skeptical
because I do not like things with a licorice flavor except for Good N'Plenty
and I can only eat a few of those before they start bugging me.

As it turned out, we all loved it and we were fighting over the few pieces
in the pan. None of it made it to our plates. Heh!

I haven't bought it since though. I guess I just don't know what to do with
it. I have heard that some people don't like it raw. I have never tried it
that way. What do you do with it?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: What do you do with it? I had a piece of it a few years back when I was
: getting those CSA boxes. There was a recipe for roasting it, which I did.
: I remember putting olive oil on it. Maybe salt and pepper. I was skeptical
: because I do not like things with a licorice flavor except for Good N'Plenty
: and I can only eat a few of those before they start bugging me.

: As it turned out, we all loved it and we were fighting over the few pieces
: in the pan. None of it made it to our plates. Heh!

: I haven't bought it since though. I guess I just don't know what to do with
: it. I have heard that some people don't like it raw. I have never tried it
: that way. What do you do with it?

My husband used to love it just raw and would have it as a snack. It is
very good roasted, as you described with olive oile, s&p and any herb.
You can als roast it along with other vegetables, for a nice mixed dish.
It also is nice braised. remove the green fronds, which, if someont likes
a liqurice taste, can be sprintkled, as an herb on a salad.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> What do you do with it? I had a piece of it a few years back when I
>> was getting those CSA boxes. There was a recipe for roasting it,
>> which I did. I remember putting olive oil on it. Maybe salt and
>> pepper. I was skeptical because I do not like things with a
>> licorice flavor except for Good N'Plenty and I can only eat a few of
>> those before they start bugging me.

>> As it turned out, we all loved it and we were fighting over the few
>> pieces in the pan. None of it made it to our plates. Heh!

>> I haven't bought it since though. I guess I just don't know what to
>> do with it. I have heard that some people don't like it raw. I
>> have never tried it that way. What do you do with it?

Slice it into a salad. It is also a great component in Mediterranean-style
fish soups/stews, such as bouillabaise.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >> What do you do with it? I had a piece of it a few years back when I
: >> was getting those CSA boxes. There was a recipe for roasting it,
: >> which I did. I remember putting olive oil on it. Maybe salt and
: >> pepper. I was skeptical because I do not like things with a
: >> licorice flavor except for Good N'Plenty and I can only eat a few of
: >> those before they start bugging me.
: >
: >> As it turned out, we all loved it and we were fighting over the few
: >> pieces in the pan. None of it made it to our plates. Heh!
: >
: >> I haven't bought it since though. I guess I just don't know what to
: >> do with it. I have heard that some people don't like it raw. I
: >> have never tried it that way. What do you do with it?

: Slice it into a salad. It is also a great component in Mediterranean-style
: fish soups/stews, such as bouillabaise.

In my Sicilian fish soup(stew) I use fennel seeds.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : What do you do with it? I had a piece of it a few years back when I was
> : getting those CSA boxes. There was a recipe for roasting it, which I
> did.
> : I remember putting olive oil on it. Maybe salt and pepper. I was
> skeptical
> : because I do not like things with a licorice flavor except for Good
> N'Plenty
> : and I can only eat a few of those before they start bugging me.
>
> : As it turned out, we all loved it and we were fighting over the few
> pieces
> : in the pan. None of it made it to our plates. Heh!
>
> : I haven't bought it since though. I guess I just don't know what to do
> with
> : it. I have heard that some people don't like it raw. I have never
> tried it
> : that way. What do you do with it?
>

> My husband used to love it just raw and would have it as a snack. It is
> very good roasted, as you described with olive oile, s&p and any herb.
> You can als roast it along with other vegetables, for a nice mixed dish.
> It also is nice braised. remove the green fronds, which, if someont likes
> a liqurice taste, can be sprintkled, as an herb on a salad.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> W. Baker wrote:
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> What do you do with it? I had a piece of it a few years back when I
>>> was getting those CSA boxes. There was a recipe for roasting it,
>>> which I did. I remember putting olive oil on it. Maybe salt and
>>> pepper. I was skeptical because I do not like things with a
>>> licorice flavor except for Good N'Plenty and I can only eat a few of
>>> those before they start bugging me.

>>> As it turned out, we all loved it and we were fighting over the few
>>> pieces in the pan. None of it made it to our plates. Heh!

>>> I haven't bought it since though. I guess I just don't know what to
>>> do with it. I have heard that some people don't like it raw. I
>>> have never tried it that way. What do you do with it?

> Slice it into a salad. It is also a great component in Mediterranean-style
> fish soups/stews, such as bouillabaise.

Thanks!

Fennel Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 151 21-10-2013 10:50 PM
Fennel results Omelet General Cooking 11 09-01-2007 05:50 PM
Fennel [email protected] General Cooking 4 11-06-2005 09:23 PM
Fennel - what to do john novotny Vegetarian cooking 2 10-11-2004 03:42 PM