Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Jello sugar-free fat-free instant pudding

In a weak moment I purchased a box of this in cheesecake flavor. It said to
make it with non-fat milk, but since all I had in the house was light cream,
that's what I used. But 1 cup, half of the full amount. The result was thick
and mousse-like. (This is similar to a recipe for mousse-like cake filling
used by a lot of cake pros, made with heavy cream and instant pudding,
called "Marida's Mousse" in honor of its inventor.)

The whole box has 24 gms of carb. Not a terminally bad way to satisfy a
dessert craving....but I confess I didn't test afterward. I didn't want to
know!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

was it made with splenda or nutreasweet, i keep hoping it will be with
splenda, a weight watchers recipe calls for making it with yogurt instead of
milk for a cheese cake like substance... abut i am allergic to nutrasweet so
haven't been able to try it yet, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> In a weak moment I purchased a box of this in cheesecake flavor. It said
> to make it with non-fat milk, but since all I had in the house was light
> cream, that's what I used. But 1 cup, half of the full amount. The result
> was thick and mousse-like. (This is similar to a recipe for mousse-like
> cake filling used by a lot of cake pros, made with heavy cream and instant
> pudding, called "Marida's Mousse" in honor of its inventor.)
>
> The whole box has 24 gms of carb. Not a terminally bad way to satisfy a
> dessert craving....but I confess I didn't test afterward. I didn't want to
> know!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
> was it made with splenda or nutreasweet, i keep hoping it will be with
> splenda, a weight watchers recipe calls for making it with yogurt
> instead of milk for a cheese cake like substance... abut i am
> allergic to nutrasweet so haven't been able to try it yet, Lee

I believe it was aspartame.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

drat, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee wrote:
>> was it made with splenda or nutreasweet, i keep hoping it will be with
>> splenda, a weight watchers recipe calls for making it with yogurt
>> instead of milk for a cheese cake like substance... abut i am
>> allergic to nutrasweet so haven't been able to try it yet, Lee

> I believe it was aspartame.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 13:15:26 -0400, "Janet" >
> wrote:
>
>> In a weak moment I purchased a box of this in cheesecake flavor. It
>> said to make it with non-fat milk, but since all I had in the house
>> was light cream, that's what I used. But 1 cup, half of the full
>> amount. The result was thick and mousse-like. (This is similar to a
>> recipe for mousse-like cake filling used by a lot of cake pros, made
>> with heavy cream and instant pudding, called "Marida's Mousse" in
>> honor of its inventor.)
>>
>> The whole box has 24 gms of carb. Not a terminally bad way to
>> satisfy a dessert craving....but I confess I didn't test afterward.
>> I didn't want to know!

> Hi, Janet --
>
> I've tried those and have tested -- the results weren't encouraging.
> :-) I don't have any on hand now, but IIRC even though there's no
> sugar, there's quite a bit of corn starch? Anyway -- here's my
> solution to that problem. It's based on the "no-bake cheesecake"
> recipe I found on the Low-Carb Friends bulletin board. The carbs are
> negligible, but it's very rich and high in calories, so you need to
> really watch portion size.
>
> 1 small box sugar-free lemon Jell-O
> 1 cup heavy whipping cream
> 1 6-oz package cream cheese
> Splenda to taste (2 packages for me)
>
> Dissolve the Jell-O in one cup boiling water. Cool, but don't
> refrigerate.
>
> Mix the Jell-O, cream cheese and Splenda until smooth and creamy.
>
> Whip the heavy whipping cream to soft peaks; fold in cream cheese
> mixture.
>
> Refrigerate.
>
> I have a bunch of little 1/2-cup Glad containers with lids, and I put
> it in there. Portions are already taken care of. 1/2-cup sounds
> really small, but one cup is just too much, as rich as it is.

Thanks--will try it. Actually, I'm thinking about using flavorless gelatin
and lemon juice in place of the jello...probably better flavor.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i could do this, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> BlueBrooke wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 13:15:26 -0400, "Janet" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In a weak moment I purchased a box of this in cheesecake flavor. It
>>> said to make it with non-fat milk, but since all I had in the house
>>> was light cream, that's what I used. But 1 cup, half of the full
>>> amount. The result was thick and mousse-like. (This is similar to a
>>> recipe for mousse-like cake filling used by a lot of cake pros, made
>>> with heavy cream and instant pudding, called "Marida's Mousse" in
>>> honor of its inventor.)
>>>
>>> The whole box has 24 gms of carb. Not a terminally bad way to
>>> satisfy a dessert craving....but I confess I didn't test afterward.
>>> I didn't want to know!

>> Hi, Janet --
>>
>> I've tried those and have tested -- the results weren't encouraging.
>> :-) I don't have any on hand now, but IIRC even though there's no
>> sugar, there's quite a bit of corn starch? Anyway -- here's my
>> solution to that problem. It's based on the "no-bake cheesecake"
>> recipe I found on the Low-Carb Friends bulletin board. The carbs are
>> negligible, but it's very rich and high in calories, so you need to
>> really watch portion size.
>>
>> 1 small box sugar-free lemon Jell-O
>> 1 cup heavy whipping cream
>> 1 6-oz package cream cheese
>> Splenda to taste (2 packages for me)
>>
>> Dissolve the Jell-O in one cup boiling water. Cool, but don't
>> refrigerate.
>>
>> Mix the Jell-O, cream cheese and Splenda until smooth and creamy.
>>
>> Whip the heavy whipping cream to soft peaks; fold in cream cheese
>> mixture.
>>
>> Refrigerate.
>>
>> I have a bunch of little 1/2-cup Glad containers with lids, and I put
>> it in there. Portions are already taken care of. 1/2-cup sounds
>> really small, but one cup is just too much, as rich as it is.

> Thanks--will try it. Actually, I'm thinking about using flavorless gelatin
> and lemon juice in place of the jello...probably better flavor.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yeah be careful with fat/sugar free stuff they often still have cornstarch
and other carby binders.

most fat free foods just use a lot more sugar.

but yes I looked it up and these seem great..I would still test personally
because id rather KNOW its good then pretend :-D

but I might grab some if I can find them my store is generally lacking on
the good stuff as healthy foods just don't sell in my state..stinks..

Anytime I discover a good bread etc its pulled off the shelves to make room
for junk that sell well.

this might make my protein shakes tastier..we shall see!

KROM

"Janet" > wrote in message
> In a weak moment I purchased a box of this in cheesecake flavor. It said
> to make it with non-fat milk, but since all I had in the house was light
> cream, that's what I used. But 1 cup, half of the full amount. The result
> was thick and mousse-like. (This is similar to a recipe for mousse-like
> cake filling used by a lot of cake pros, made with heavy cream and instant
> pudding, called "Marida's Mousse" in honor of its inventor.)
>
> The whole box has 24 gms of carb. Not a terminally bad way to satisfy a
> dessert craving....but I confess I didn't test afterward. I didn't want to
> know!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I put yogurt into a fine mesh strainer with paper towel over a bowl and let
it sit in the fridge until it's the consistency I desire you can get to to
pretty solid or cream cheese etc...I love it.

KROM

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> was it made with splenda or nutreasweet, i keep hoping it will be with
> splenda, a weight watchers recipe calls for making it with yogurt instead
> of milk for a cheese cake like substance... abut i am allergic to
> nutrasweet so haven't been able to try it yet, Lee
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> In a weak moment I purchased a box of this in cheesecake flavor. It said
>> to make it with non-fat milk, but since all I had in the house was light
>> cream, that's what I used. But 1 cup, half of the full amount. The result
>> was thick and mousse-like. (This is similar to a recipe for mousse-like
>> cake filling used by a lot of cake pros, made with heavy cream and
>> instant pudding, called "Marida's Mousse" in honor of its inventor.)
>>
>> The whole box has 24 gms of carb. Not a terminally bad way to satisfy a
>> dessert craving....but I confess I didn't test afterward. I didn't want
>> to know!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM > wrote:
: yeah be careful with fat/sugar free stuff they often still have cornstarch
: and other carby binders.

: most fat free foods just use a lot more sugar.

: but yes I looked it up and these seem great..I would still test personally
: because id rather KNOW its good then pretend :-D

: but I might grab some if I can find them my store is generally lacking on
: the good stuff as healthy foods just don't sell in my state..stinks..

: Anytime I discover a good bread etc its pulled off the shelves to make room
: for junk that sell well.

: this might make my protein shakes tastier..we shall see!

: KROM

: "Janet" > wrote in message
: ...
: > In a weak moment I purchased a box of this in cheesecake flavor. It said
: > to make it with non-fat milk, but since all I had in the house was light
: > cream, that's what I used. But 1 cup, half of the full amount. The result
: > was thick and mousse-like. (This is similar to a recipe for mousse-like
: > cake filling used by a lot of cake pros, made with heavy cream and instant
: > pudding, called "Marida's Mousse" in honor of its inventor.)
: >
: > The whole box has 24 gms of carb. Not a terminally bad way to satisfy a
: > dessert craving....but I confess I didn't test afterward. I didn't want to
: > know!

I make a great lower fat, low carb cheesecake with a nut crust, rather
than the usual grahm cracker one that is absolutely delicious.
cheesecake is fairly simelply t make low carb as it is bascally a custard
with no need for the qualities of regular sugar to help the texture come
out right. If you like, ou can just substitute the artificial sweetener
of your choice for the sugar i the recipe. If you also want it lower fat,
then you can use mid-fat cream cheese adn whipped up cottage cheese in
place of sour cream. Here is the recipe. I now use the nut crust and the
high temperature.lw temerature baking method which keeps the cak's feet
from getting wet. Somehow, the top always cracks when I release it from
the springform. I have sent this recipe in before, but we have new people
so here it is again.
This is good enough to serve to company adn can be doubles or increased by
1/2 for larger springform pans.

Wendy

Cheesecake, Low-Carb Lemon (D, TNT)
Source: "Unbelievable Desserts With Splenda," by Marlene Koch
Serves: 12
Crust 1:
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (or use petit beurre cookies)
2 tablespoons sucralose
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted (I used butter, as it is a dairy
cake)

Crust 2: (an alternative--higher in fat and calories, but lower in carbs)
1 cup ground walnuts or other oily nut
2 tablespoons sucralose

Cake:
1 cup low fat cottage cheese (1 to 1-1/2%)
1 (8-oz.) tub light cream cheese
1 (8-oz.) package non-fat cream cheese-room temperature
1 cup sucralose (I might use 1-1/4 cup next time)
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon juice (about 1/2 medium lemon)
1 tablespoon lemon zest (about one medium lemon)
1 (8-oz.) carton lemon yogurt (with sugar; she specified non-fat, by
mistake I used full fat)
2 large eggs
2 egg whites

Make Crust:
F. Spray a 9" springform pan with cooking spray.

Make fine crumbs or nut pieces, (food processors work well here) put into
a bowl; add sucralose and melted butter (omit for nut crust) and mix (I
used my fingers).

Spread the crumbs on the bottom of the springform pan and press down with
your fingers or back of a spoon to cover the bottom of the pan. Bake for 5
minutes. Bake crust for about 10 mins in a 350 F oven

Make Cake and Assembly:

Place cottage cheese in a food processor and process until absolutely
smooth. Spoon into a large mixing bowl and add the 2 cream cheeses. Beat
on medium speed until absolutely creamy (no lumps at all left).

Add sucralose, flour, and cornstarch and mix on low until smooth. Blend in
lemon juice, lemon zest, and yogurt. Add eggs one at a time and them egg
whites. beating briefly with each addition. Do not overbeat at this point.

Baking Method 1 Oven heated to 350F Prepare pan by wrapping it carefully
with wide, heavy duty foil accross the bottom and up the side. Pour
batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Place foil wrapped pan into a
large baking dish and pour boiling water in the baking pan until it
reaches about half way up the springform pan.

Bake 60 to 65 minutes until sides of the cake appear firm and the inside
is slightly jiggly. Turn off the heat and let the cake cool in the oven
with the door partly open for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and continue to
cool cake on a rack. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.

Baking Method 2 heat oven to 500F
Do not wrap pan.

Pout mixture into springform pan and put into very hot oven. after 10-15
mins turn the heat down to 200-250F. DO NOT OPEN OVEN

Bake about 60-65 mins as above, and let cool in the turned off oven.

I find this method easier.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have saved this for my mom, i think my brother will like this, thanks, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> with wide, heavy duty foil accross the bottom and up the side. Pour
> batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Place foil wrapped pan into a
> large baking dish and pour boiling water in the baking pan until it
> reaches about half way up the springform pan.
>
> Bake 60 to 65 minutes until sides of the cake appear firm and the inside
> is slightly jiggly. Turn off the heat and let the cake cool in the oven
> with the door partly open for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and continue to
> cool cake on a rack. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
>
> Baking Method 2 heat oven to 500F
> Do not wrap pan.
>
> Pout mixture into springform pan and put into very hot oven. after 10-15
> mins turn the heat down to 200-250F. DO NOT OPEN OVEN
>
> Bake about 60-65 mins as above, and let cool in the turned off oven.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

nice recipe...

I make something similar but replace the corn starch with guar gum

KROM